Dice?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
What kind of dice will I need and how many for Gamma World?

I'm coming from White Wolf products where all we need are d10s, so I'm pretty full up in that department 

I'm coming from White Wolf products where all we need are d10s, so I'm pretty full up in that department 

Basically 1 x d20 and 2 of every thing else and you're set.

d4 (1 or 2):  I only recall maybe one or two cards requiring a d4 roll. So 2 should be more than enough.

d6 (3 or 4): 3d6 comes up a lot, plus you'll be rolling 3d6 for character ability generation.

d8 (2-4): 2d8 is frequent so is 4d8 on a bunch of the Omega cards

d10 (2): 2d10 is frequent

d12 (1 or 2): The occasional 2d12 pops up, buy mostly it's 1d12

d20 (1+): You will be rolling a d20 a lot.

Note: Might want to invest in extra d20s for when you get mad at your die and banish it into the corner. Tongue out
You can get by with one of each die, just roll it repeatedly and add.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

You can get by with one of each die, just roll it repeatedly and add.

True enough. But really, dice are like Pringles, who can stop with just one? Laughing

I collect lots of dice and often have sets which I designate for individual games. For example, my "Traveller dice" are black with little white specks on them, kind of like a starfield. My OD&D dice are ones that match the color scheme of my dice sets from the 1970's (yellow d4, orange d6, green d8, blue d12, white d20).

What I'd like to see is a special set of Gamma World dice -- perhaps colors to match the box colors and maybe a nifty radiation symbol for the 1's.

That would be cool!

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Q-Workshop's
Love that nuke dice!

I just picked up a couple sets of lime green and one set of purple opaque Gamescience dice for my game. Should be all I need (colors match the game colors, too).

Talladega's list is about perfect for what you need without having to re-roll dice.

Basically 1 x d20 and 2 of every thing else and you're set.

d4 (1 or 2):  I only recall maybe one or two cards requiring a d4 roll. So 2 should be more than enough.

d6 (3 or 4): 3d6 comes up a lot, plus you'll be rolling 3d6 for character ability generation.

d8 (2-4): 2d8 is frequent so is 4d8 on a bunch of the Omega cards

d10 (2): 2d10 is frequent

d12 (1 or 2): The occasional 2d12 pops up, buy mostly it's 1d12

d20 (1+): You will be rolling a d20 a lot.

Note: Might want to invest in extra d20s for when you get mad at your die and banish it into the corner.

Righteous, I'm sure I have enough d6s, I have 2 d8s. I have a d20 around somewhere from my Star Wars Minis set

And this is the dice set I'll need for the new edition, right?
One regular set/box/tube of poly dice will do you. That will get you one of each. You may end up needing to reroll some dice now and then... but that's not something you can predict ahead of time, it depends on what kind of character you end up with
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
procrastonaut, thanks for the dice link. Very cool, and I'm going to order myself a set!

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

procrastonaut, thanks for the dice link. Very cool, and I'm going to order myself a set!

NP. I ordered 'em today myself, along with thisSmile

I thought I was the only guy OCD enough to co-ordinate his dice colors with his games!  I found Crystal Caste's "Toxic" (the actual product name) Green/Blue mix to be a nearly perfect match to the core box colors.

I really get carried away with this stuff...
http://l81corvette.wordpress.com/
Got my Nuke dice and dicebag in the mail today. Kind of a dull, dark green color. Kind of a bummer, actually . I mean, they have the cool nuke symbol on them and all, but they were just dark green in color. 

Somehow the picture made them look more ... electric. Frown

Rule #1: You never have enough dice.

If you can get one, using the original GITD d6 nuke die from the Nuclear Escalation game is fun. I also have a brick of GITD alien d6s.
I have to measure my dice in pounds at this point, and have something like six different subsets for the games I play. 

Go with as many as make you happy. I've pored through most of the cards and the rules and d4, 3d6, 3d8, 3d10, 2d12 and 1d20 is a good start.

Me, I take 6d20 so I can banish 5 of them for being naughty.   
Sign In to post comments