Do Origin bonuses stack?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rolling up a character I recieved a primary origin of Android and secondary origin of Radioactive, both grant a +4 bonus to the Science Skill.  If these bonuses stack, at first level this PC would have a +13 to Science making even a DC of 17 (1st level skill rating for Difficult) achievable 80% of the time.  Is this right?

Also, do multiple bonuses to defenses (Fort, Ref, and Will) stack?
Yes and yes!
As the book says "everyone knows Radioactive Androids make the best Scientists!"

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

The only stat that I have seen that does not stack is what affects your Overcharge rolls:  That only comes from your primary Origin.
The only stat that I have seen that does not stack is what affects your Overcharge rolls:  That only comes from your primary Origin.

For those who are curious, this is on page 67 in the "OVERCHARGING ALPHA POWERS" sidebar, last sentence.
And page 34: Traits, second sentence.
Good eye, sir, good eye...guess they don't call you greyseer for nothin'

For those who are curious, this is on page 67 in the "OVERCHARGING ALPHA POWERS" sidebar, last sentence.

However "Engineered Human" gets a +2 to all overcharge yet can only be a Secondary Origin.  Applying "the rule of obvious use" this must get applied (otherwise it wouldn't be there) but does it stack with your primary's overcharge bonus or merely replace it?
Given the rules as presented, there is no reason why you should expect the Engineered Human's Overcharge bonus to apply when it is your secondary origin.

If people are allowed to choose their origins, or to randomly generate their two originas and then allowed to choose which is secondary and which is primary, that would give you the Engineered Human Overcharge bonus. Or, there may be some strange mutations or other wacky effects that cause you to swap your primary and secondary origins for X duration (where X equals anything from until the end of your next turn, to permanently).
One suggested alternate method of character generation is to choose your primary origin and roll your secondary.  Thus the 'obvious use' for the Engineered Human's overcharge bonus is when it is chosen as a primary origin using that alternative.

Besides, this is WotC's exception-based design.  A rule that never actually aplies (at the moment) could very well exist under such a design paradigm, because, under it, rules can be created without careful reference to what they might imply for all other rules.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I don't know what the actual intent was, but when I ran Gamma World for my group I ended up just giving everyone the overcharge bonus for both origins. It simplifies things and it does a bit more to encourage overcharging, which can lead to some fun chaos at the table.

I found the players were still hesitant to overcharge even with the additional bonuses, and I imagine it would have been worse otherwise, so I didn't end up regretting the decision.
I don't know what the actual intent was, but when I ran Gamma World for my group I ended up just giving everyone the overcharge bonus for both origins. It simplifies things and it does a bit more to encourage overcharging, which can lead to some fun chaos at the table.

I found the players were still hesitant to overcharge even with the additional bonuses, and I imagine it would have been worse otherwise, so I didn't end up regretting the decision.

Did you have them stack if they both had the same kind of Overcharge bonus (so +4 instead of +2)?
Did you have them stack if they both had the same kind of Overcharge bonus (so +4 instead of +2)?

Yep.
I can definately see that increasing the lethality of the party and increased usage of overcharging.  Reducing the chance of failure from 45% to 25% is pretty significant.   And many of the cards that I have seen, overcharge really makes them very strong.

Did you notice though, for those where the overcharge did not stack, were they pretty hesistant even with the +2 bonus for more kinds of cards?