Sigil of Sleep Question

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
sigil of sleep

1) "return target creature that player controls to its owner's hand"

Assuming I enchanted razorfin hunter with sigil of sleep. Then, I tap razorfin hunter to deal one damage to my oponent and my oponent has 2 creatures in play. Who get to choose to the creature which is returned? Me or my oponent? I don't think this is stated in the text unless I'm reading it wrongly?

2) Some players mentioned that I do not get to choose whether to bounce a creature or not. Therefore, if my oponent does not has any creature in play, I would have to return my own creature. However, the full text:

"Whenever enchanted creature deals damage to a player, return target creature that player controls to its owner's hand."

Isn't the word 'that' referring to the player whom my enchanted creature damaged? If so, why would I bounce my own creature then?

Assuming I enchanted razorfin hunter with sigil of sleep. Then, I tap razorfin hunter to deal one damage to my oponent and my oponent has 2 creatures in play. Who get to choose to the creature which is returned? Me or my oponent? I don't think this is stated in the text unless I'm reading it wrongly?

If you control sigil of sleep, you control its ability, and you choose its target. There's no need for the ability to mention this, because targets are almost always chosen by the controller of a spell or ability, so that's the default. They only explicitly say who chooses the target if it differs from the default.
2) Some players mentioned that I do not get to choose whether to bounce a creature or not. Therefore, if my oponent does not has any creature in play, I would have to return my own creature. However, the full text:

"Whenever enchanted creature deals damage to a player, return target creature that player controls to its owner's hand."

Isn't the word 'that' referring to the player whom my enchanted creature damaged? If so, why would I bounce my own creature then?

If you dealt damage to your opponent, then you can only bounce creatures that opponent controls. You cannot bounce one of your creatures, even if you want to (unless you deal damage to yourself).

1. you get to choose the creature, the player controlling the the ability or spell chooses the targets for it if required.

2. return target creature that player controls, unless they changed the wording in the oracle text.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
sigil of sleep

You control Sigil of Sleep
You control its triggered ability.  [CR 603.3a]
You choose the target of the ability.  [CR 603.3d]

Whenever enchanted creature deals damage to a player, return target creature that player controls to its owner's hand.

It dealt damage to your opponent.  The target of the ability is a creature your opponent controls.  (What other player could possibly be the antecedent of "that player"?)
603.3d The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c-d. If a choice is required when the triggered ability goes on the stack but no legal choices can be made for it, or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal, the ability is simply removed from the stack.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Thanks a lot for the replies.. =)
Sign In to post comments