Item slot rules?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
On the Omega Tech cards it mentions the item slot for the tech. You can also salvage it into an "X slot item."

Is this covered somewhere in the rules? I must be missing it but I thought I looked closely.

The only rule I found was that you can have as many Omega tech cards readied as you like. If that's the case, why do the cards mention slots, which seems to imply there is a limitation?

I guess I'll just rule you can only have one item per slot, but any help understanding this would be helpful. Thanks.
I think they're banking on "common sense" ruling.  One card states that its effect can be ended "by removing the boots" but there aren't any specific rules about wearing omega tech items.  Logic dictates that I can only wear a pair of boots, but how many pairs can a rat swarm occupy?  Can I wear a helmet and goggles?  Two helmets?

I guess what I'm saying is I have no answer other than DM caveat. 
And indeed, who's to say your character doesn't have multiple sets of feet (Cockroach?) or a even something resembling a 'head' upon which a helmet or visor could be placed?

The slots are probably intended to help visualize how the item is used or worn, or are just a carry over from 4e.

IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/FR_Icon2-1.png)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Poland.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/Ebb.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/GamaW.png)
I have to presume that "Item Slot" rules essentially identical to the rest of 4E were intended to be included but were cut for reasons of space.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Thanks. So I'm not missing the rules somewhere. Was feeling a bit crazy. I've not read 4e but I'll check it out from the library.
My sense is that the "specific beats general" rule is in effect here.  Gamma World works with the Rules Compendium for 4e.  Where Gamma World differs, use Gamma World.  Where Gamma World lacks a rule, use the Compendium.  Otherwise, there's no Grabbing in Gamma World.
Note to WotC: there is nothing wrong with including text to the effect of "This product can be enhanced by use of the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters' Guide and Monster Manual serieses of books for Fourth Edition."  Exact wording probably found in the Forgotten Realms, Ebberon, and Dark Sun campaign settings.

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

none yet - gotta find a group !

Character Ready-to-go:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood elf Monk1, inspired by "Radar O'Reilley" from M*A*S*H

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

Note to WotC: there is nothing wrong with including text to the effect of "This product can be enhanced by use of the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters' Guide and Monster Manual serieses of books for Fourth Edition."  Exact wording probably found in the Forgotten Realms, Ebberon, and Dark Sun campaign settings.

I dunno, on the back of the Dark Sun Campaign Setting book, it says:
For use with these 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons products:
Dark Sun Creature Catalog
Player's Handbook core rulebooks
Dungeon Master's Guide core rulebooks
Monster Manual core rulebooks
D&D Miniatures     D&D Dungeon Tiles

Inside the DSCS, it tells the DM that "To run a Dungeons & Dragons game in the world of Dark Sun, you'll need the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual."

It's not an appropriate wording to steal, really. They want you to buy this boxed set of Gamma World because it has everything you need to play a game of Gamma World. You can't play a complete D&D game with any of the campaign setting books.

ETA:

Also, anyone who could get benefit from the 4e D&D books probably already has them, so the notice is not useful there. And it would scare off potential new players, which is the opposite of what the game is intended to do.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Sign In to post comments