Dragon 392 - Everwatch, Living Beyond the Green Line

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.pngDragon 392
Everwatch, Living Beyond the Green Line

by Robert J. Schwalb

"The best way to think about Everwatch is to consider it as an extended background element."

Talk about this Article here.

392_cd_kord.jpg

this article is a great idea.  quite useful.

the image is a reprint, but i don't mind because is it so appropriate.

bravo, mr. schwalb. 
i like it
I'm getting really bored with the all-fluff "new direction" for Dragon, and we're not even two weeks into it.

Again: I don't need anyone to feed me fluff. I can do that on my own. I depend on Dragon to give me interesting new crunch.

I didn't complain when the CB updates were delayed, because for me, DDI is about the magazines first and the tools second. But when the magazines turn into something I have no use for, THAT is something that makes me want to discontinue my subscription.

So, yeah. Boo-urns to this useless article.
I'm getting really bored with the all-fluff "new direction" for Dragon, and we're not even two weeks into it.

Again: I don't need anyone to feed me fluff. I can do that on my own. I depend on Dragon to give me interesting new crunch.

I didn't complain when the CB updates were delayed, because for me, DDI is about the magazines first and the tools second. But when the magazines turn into something I have no use for, THAT is something that makes me want to discontinue my subscription.

So, yeah. Boo-urns to this useless article.

Fluff is good, when backed up by crunch.  The only crunch in this article were a handful of backgrounds.  The backgrounds which only gave associated skills.

With most fluff, I skip to see the actual ingame stuff that would back it up.  Why not feats, or powers, or a paragon path?  Give me something that I can use to reflect mathematically in the game.
what article?
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
I must agree, fluff only works when there is a virtuous circle with the Crunch and vice versa. The Articles should be providing new play concepts (or as close as you can get with a single article) or fleshing out existing play concepts.

I have harped on this several times now, but I scanned this article, saw what it was, started reading the first part, realized it was worthless to me and closed. I don't need 8 new ways to get at a single skill for a background, backgrounds are already minimal and frankly, we have about everything in teh world covered with even slight reskinning.

We need real crunch that defines characters, i.e. Themes, Feats (NOT general feats, feats that allow a concept - see the Duelist article for rogues), Paragon Paths that support that concept and so on.
Just a note, there was a ton of complaint concerning how little fluff was getting into Dragon magazine here on the boards. I believe it was under the header What Happened to Dragon Magazine or some such title.

So, I am thinking that the new "fluff" response is probably an attempt to correct that. The statement by a number of individuals was that there was only crunch and no fluff, and that they subscribed to Dragon for the fluff, etc...

It sounds like the same complaints from the reverse side of the argument.

Back to the article though, I thought it was well written, and a great addition to my Campaign batting collection (for those of you who quilt).
Yes, this is a well written article... for Dungeon magazine.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
I'm fine with the article being story without mechanics - for this sort of article that's pretty much what it should be.

I do agree that background benefits of the generic "here are two associated skills" variety are pretty much a waste of space at this point. Background benefits that open up non-generic options (like Adventurer's Scion and Necromancer's Chattel) do add something new to the game, and I would prefer to see Dragon articles focus on those.
I do agree that background benefits of the generic "here are two associated skills" variety are pretty much a waste of space at this point. Background benefits that open up non-generic options (like Adventurer's Scion and Necromancer's Chattel) do add something new to the game, and I would prefer to see Dragon articles focus on those.

This is something I also agree with.  Generic background benefits are so repeated now that there seems little point in adding more.

Tibis Refugee of many worlds
Sign In to post comments