Generic weapons doing typed (non-physical) damage

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flamethrowers, laser guns, tasers, light sabers, acid-shooting lapel flowers -- would you allow any of these in your games? (Apart from salvaged omega tech.)

I'd say yes. There are many more things with resistances to energy types than vulnerabilities, and thus having a two-handed heavy melee weapon that does fire damage or a one-handed gun that does laser damage isn't going to overpower the game any.

What do you think?
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Shishkebab

That's all the justification I need
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
I wonder if there's a simple way to allow it without making it too common...  Maybe drop accuracy by 1 or damage by a die size?

*shrug* 
I say "Give me a good explanation" and don't worry about the stats.

As Oraibi says, there are plenty of things that give Resist [Energy], so having a non-physical weapon can easily be a DISadvantage. No need to nerf them further.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Flares.
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
My 8 year old daughter just rolled up a character (Flame and Gravity-- she decided she was a humanoid star) 

At first she wanted a can of spray paint for a weapon (she said it was poisonous now that it was so old)  So I gave it to her as a one handed light weapon

Later, she decided that her "star" should be a rock star... So her melee weapon is an electric guitar (two handed weapon) and her "ranged" weapon is a "sonic blast" from the "power of her rocking" (kept it as a two handed light weapon, but with a 5 range (I might do more if she comes up with a clever way to drag around an amp) 

all and all, I think she got the right idea.. and it keeps me on track for GW... just have fun with it  
I think that any nonstandard weapons are covered adequately by omega tech.

however I like Voodoodolly's post on the guitar weapon, though it ought to be a standard weapon instead of a modified weapon as he posted.
I see absolutely no reason not to do this, so long as you aren't changing the damage equation. Gamma World is a 4e product, and one of the core tenets of 4e character design is to allow "reflavoring." Furthermore, as has been pointed out, this can actually be a slight disadvantage in certain situations. This is no different than, say, letting a beastmaster ranger make his raptor companion (reptilian) and call it a spire drake.

The main problem in taking this approach is knowing when to say "no." A player in my last game wanted her Saurian to have a flamethrower, so I gave her heavy two-handed gun stats. The only tweaks were that the damage was fire damage. However, I refused to allow the weapon to grant a close blast 2 fire attack, because that technically changes the damage equation. It was a compromise that worked well; she was happy and I didn't have the headache of power creep.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
I think that any nonstandard weapons are covered adequately by omega tech.

however I like Voodoodolly's post on the guitar weapon, though it ought to be a standard weapon instead of a modified weapon as he posted.

I think you shouldnt get stuck in the rules. This especially is a game in which improvisation just fits.
There is no "this ought to be" there is only a "what works for you" 

If it works for everyone participating then why not? And if it turns out that something is to powerful afterall later on. Well this is Gamma World and most things are either patched together or not exactly new... eventually they'll stop working.