Automatic Rifles, Grenade Launchers, Blunderbus?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

After a battle, players usually want to scavenge for these items off of dead npcs.  Do the players just use the damage block for these weapon with the encounter and at-wills?  In the case of Automatc Rifles, it does do more damage than the standard light range.  I'm thinking this weapon might throw off the balance.  I'm thinking of using ammo-save after each use of the at-will or encounter to reflect the spray and pray nature.

#1: You can rule the weapons are broken and not scavengable. This really isn't necessary though.

#2: Guns use AMMO. The rules for ammo are already clear, and do not use saving throws.

"You either have ammo, or you do not. If you use a weapon that requires ammo only once in an encounter, you're conserving your ammo and will not run out.
If you use ammo more than once in an encounter, you are Out Of Ammo at the end of the encounter."

That's all there is to it. The weapons are not unbalanced, they're built into the game that way, and meant to be more powerful. Players are even allowed to choose guns as starting equipment!

It's not a big deal, because they can only use guns ONCE per encounter, or run out of ammo. If they don't find more ammo, sucks for them.

There are only 2 powers that can use a ranged weapon anyways. Speedster and Hypercognitive. Both are encounter only powers. Both use the same calculations as a Basic Attack, except they let you use certain stats instead.

There is no issue with balance. The game is designed assuming that people are using guns.
Read all the rules before assuming there are problems with the game. The rules for ammo are on the same page as the damage for the guns.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
This is what I'm worried about
Automatic Rifle(at-will) 2d8 physical
with
Spray of Bullets(encounter)
Area burst 1 within 10 2d8 and target is pushed 2 squares. 

I'm imagining what my group of six players would do  with an area burst push 2.

What I was suggesting that the the weapon could be out of ammo during the middle of the encounter. 

BTW....I did read the rules about ammo use...no need to get snippy.  I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with the game...I'm just concerned how to handle this type of situation.
Do the players just use the damage block for these weapon with the encounter and at-wills?

Nope.

Chapter 5: Monsters (page 106, equipment, Ammo) states:

"Ammo: Some monsters shoot guns, rocket launchers, or sharpened disc-throwers in combat. In most cases, the monster is carrying enough ammo to use the weapon throughout an encounter. Unusual weapons might have just one shot. I either case, the ammo is expended at the end of the encounter."

If your players get fussy about it, just tell them that the weapon has been damaged, modified by the monster in a way that renders it unusable by the players, or otherwise goofed up beyond all usability for the PCs. Remeber also that it's not the weapon that confers the powers the monsters use, but the monsters that have the powers, and those powers just have the weapon keyword. It's no different from the powers that the PCs can use which have the Weapon keyword.
You don't use the monster powers.  The damage might look different, but that is simply because monster and player statistics are on different scales.  Cool
Right. When a player salvages a rifle from a dead monster, that rifle is just a two-handed gun like any other two-handed gun.

It's the monster's talent and skill which made that weapon a 2d8 burst or whatever.  
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Thanks guys....

I was just hung up on the name of the encounter power.  It seemed like a possible real life effect.  I might just redescribe the power so I don't have to worry about my players saying "Why can't I go Machinegun Kelly on these guys".
What you might do is make the Machine Gun into an Omega Tech card.

Make up your own card. Give it text and an encounter power. Put a "salvage" ability on it which is +1 better than an ordinary gun the players might already have.

And when the players draw Omega Tech after the encounter, the Machine Gun counts as one of those draws.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Yell

Gun list will become part of the game.
We all KNOW that that would be more FUN then generic weapons.
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045

No, we don't all KNOW that.

In the game I ran on Monday, one player fought with sharpened man-hole covers. Another fought with a crushed car cube on a chain. Generic weapons encourage that kind of creativity. You tend to lose it when players just pick their weapons from a pre-determined list.
You could say they don't get the rifle from the creature but they get some ammo.

Or you could say they have the weapon, base it on the nearest weapon table stats, but make its accuracy -2 unless they make a tough mechanics roll to fix it. Fail and it's useless.

No, we don't all KNOW that.

In the game I ran on Monday, one player fought with sharpened man-hole covers. Another fought with a crushed car cube on a chain. Generic weapons encourage that kind of creativity. You tend to lose it when players just pick their weapons from a pre-determined list.

Agreed. I've used a firehose as a ranged weapon (on my broken firefighting droid who decided to start fires with pyrokinesis) and a fridge as a melee weapon (on my giant). Barbells, stale ancient marshmallows, lead balls, eggs(!), giant balls of dung (it was a dung beetle mutant), and other fun items have made appearances in recent games as weapons.

Generic weapons are a lot more FUN than "gun lists." Which are boring.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Ditto.

You say generic, I say unfettered by someone else's burdensome creative vision.
I made cards for weapons, ammo and equipment and such.   I think I may make a special ammo card called something like Full Auto/Buckshot  that allows a heavy two handed Gun to be fired once as a ranged 10 burst 1 weapon.