10/14/2010 FtL: "The Scars Club"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Gee, what a surprise, Noel wants to remind us how great it would be if we went out and dropped double-digit (if not triple) sums of money on planeswalkers to build that first deck.  I wonder if they have to actually tell him to hype the big-dollar mythics every week, or if he got the gig because he figured out on his own that this would be expected of him.

Also, this is a Johnny column I know, but I'm gonna have to Vorthos out for a couple minutes on some things I just noticed:

1.  Realm Razer's flavor text sounds like it describes exactly how Naya ceased to have anybody who would miss its lost black and blue mana.  I find myself wanting a prequel set that shows the original sundering of Alara and the fallout that resulted - would let us get a look at Vithia before it became Grixis, find out what Esper looks like without etherium everywhere, and would show civilization coming to a swift end in what would become known as Jund.

2.  Having never seen Elspeth's new picture in large size before, I never realized how incredibly haughty and disdainful she looks.  It's like she's staring down at you in disgust and sneering, "Don't you dare even try and lay your grubby fingers on me, you contemptible uncivilized cur!  I am a noblewoman of Bant and your nonwhite, nonartifact kind are symbolic of everything I despise."  With an art like this, she ought to have protection from the other four colors just for flavor's sake, instead of the rather meh lifegain ability.

Livewire Lash's full-size picture makes it clear it's even cooler than I thought; I'm sad about the fact that it rendundantly pumps power while dealing tons of damage (fun combo: Darksteel Myr and Slaughter with enough of a life cushion to buyback it a bunch), but it's still incredibly neat.

And I gotta say, Tunnel Ignus has to be the most transparent "oops, we borkeded the last block, quick print a hoser" card they've done since the similarly-tardy Kataki, War's Wage that barely speedbumped Affinity.  They could hardly have made the card more obvious if they had tried, it makes me very sad.  What I really want to know is how they decided there should be igni on Mirrodin.  Where are his metal parts?
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
2.  Having never seen Elspeth's new picture in large size before, I never realized how incredibly haughty and disdainful she looks.  It's like she's staring down at you in disgust and sneering, "Don't you dare even try and lay your grubby fingers on me, you contemptible uncivilized cur!  I am a noblewoman of Bant and your nonwhite, nonartifact kind are symbolic of everything I despise."  With an art like this, she ought to have protection from the other four colors just for flavor's sake, instead of the rather meh lifegain ability.

That's simply the "I cant belive he's using that fork for the salad!" haughty arrogance look.

The new Elspeth has Worldslayer equipped.
It's got a different handguard, but the blade has the same pit along the blade, and the haft is the same.

Also, it almost matches her ultimate, except the original blows up creature tokens too.

No wonder she's arrogant. She thinks she improved on the perfect card.
Stonewood Invocation could be good with the Spellwild Ouphe/Livewire Lash combo.  When they bite the bullet and try to shoot the Ouphe, you can pay just to save it, make it huge, and deal two more damage that they can't respond to.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
It's got a different handguard, but the blade has the same pit along the blade, and the haft is the same.

Also, it almost matches her ultimate, except the original blows up creature tokens too.

Pretty much every well made broadsword I have seen has that same groove along the blade.  The haft on Worldslayer and a portion of Elspeth's blade handle is pretty generic as well.  And while we don't see enough of Worldslayer to actually prove this, Elspeth's blade has a gold (I don't know what you would call it) thing on the end of the handle that is absent in Worldslayer.  Also, the blade that Elspeth is carrying is the same one she had on Alara.  Since she was in only one plane before Planeswalking to Bant, how could she come into possession of the Worldslayer and somehow add on these ornaments?

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
In the article Noel says about the Ignus Rites deck: "The Elementals are just fun, unused creatures that I thought might work in this list."

Noel this leaves me wondering: Did you notice that you can use Fertilid's ability to force your opponent to search for a land and deal him 3 damage with the Ignus, or did you just add him to help search for land? 
Of course this would work best if your opponent doesn't notice this and makes his land play for the turn himself. Both Forgotten Ancient and Meadowboon help with this option.
do creatures that target other creatures count as "spells that target Spellwild Ouphe"

cuz if so, wouldnt creatures like Briarhorn, Crookclaw Transmuter,and Affa Guard Hound fit the bill perfectly, as they have flash and could boost the ouphe for a block or attack?
I think a Pandemonium+Spellwild Ouphe+Livewire Lash deck could be really effective and fun.
do creatures that target other creatures count as "spells that target Spellwild Ouphe"

cuz if so, wouldnt creatures like Briarhorn, Crookclaw Transmuter,and Affa Guard Hound fit the bill perfectly, as they have flash and could boost the ouphe for a block or attack?

Nope.  Creature spells never target anything; once those creatures enter the battlefield, they place a triggered ability onto the stack. Spellwild Ouphe only cares about spells that target it, not abilities.
In the article Noel says about the Ignus Rites deck: "The Elementals are just fun, unused creatures that I thought might work in this list."

Noel this leaves me wondering: Did you notice that you can use Fertilid's ability to force your opponent to search for a land and deal him 3 damage with the Ignus, or did you just add him to help search for land?

You can force the opponent to search for a land, but you can't force him to find one.  This combo sadly doesn't work.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

You can force the opponent to search for a land, but you can't force him to find one.  This combo sadly doesn't work.

I didn't think of that, but you're right of course, thanks for pointing it out. 
I guess what we need is "Search target player's library for a land and put it into play under his or her control".  Or just use Yavimaya Dryad, which is far and away one of my favorite cards from TSP block, such an astonishingly perfect design that had never been attempted before and has not yet been duplicated.
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

Pretty much every well made broadsword I have seen has that same groove along the blade.  The haft on Worldslayer and a portion of Elspeth's blade handle is pretty generic as well.  And while we don't see enough of Worldslayer to actually prove this, Elspeth's blade has a gold (I don't know what you would call it) thing on the end of the handle that is absent in Worldslayer.  Also, the blade that Elspeth is carrying is the same one she had on Alara.  Since she was in only one plane before Planeswalking to Bant, how could she come into possession of the Worldslayer and somehow add on these ornaments?

That's the different handguard I mentioned.

But notice: She has her thumb along the blade. She's modified the sword so it spares her tokens and lands, and when she uses her ultimate, she cuts her finger along the blade, thus activating worldslayer.
"When blood is shed, let the Staff of One emerge"?

Dear Wizards: The webcomic Jenna Helland wrote from Elspeth's perspective was the best fiction Magic has contained since Jeff Grubb stopped writing about characters from the 1994 sets.  Please do not turn Elspeth into either an arrogant bigot or an emo cutter.  I am assuming you have not actually done so, pleasue just be aware that some people are at risk of seeing it, and this should be nipped in the bud before anything unfortunate happens.  kthxbye.
I;m surprised the precursor golem combo deck didn't mention this one.  You play rite of replication with the kicker on precursor golem to get 6 precursors and 22 tokens. Then you play echoing courage.  Precursors make 6 copies of the spell target each golem. If i did my math right, each token will get +264/+264 and each precursor will get +72/+72.

practical, not really. epic, absolutely.

If you don't kick the rite of replication, You get 4 tokens with +16/+16 and 2 precursors with +8/+8.

without the rite of replication, and echoing truth will still give 2 tokens +4/+4 and the precursor +2/+2
Echoing courage + precursor golem = match made in heaven.