10/14/2010 TD: "The Big Winners"

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I am going to be sleeving up the proliferate deck I have been working on for a while (it has gone through many iterations, the only thing that has stayed the same is 4x Contagion Claps and a blue base):

[deck]

Stop using "IMO" in sentences that aren't opinion. If you don't think a deck will ever be tier 1, that's great - but it's not an opinion. It's a prediction of the future. I identify as neither male nor female. You may refer to me with either gender pronoun or the singular they, whichever suits you best. ^_^ Re: Dismember
97543238 wrote:
Everybody knows that having your awesome creatures killed before they can do anything is frustrating, but the Red mage in me doesn't seem to understand why it's so bad when his creatures spontaneously combust into Flame Javelins and make his opponent discard something at the same time.
Currently Working On: Self-Mill (Standard)
I love that non of these decks had infect, thanks wizard for making a keyword that will only see limited play. I want to see some sorceries that give poisions counters!
I love that non of these decks had infect, thanks wizard for making a keyword that will only see limited play. I want to see some sorceries that give poisions counters!

Well, they can't make a linear mechanic too good when there are still two sets remaining in the block.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
blah blah blah... mythics... blah blah blah... mythics... blah blah blah... mythics... oh, wait, vampires!

I'd like to thank vampires for breaking the monotony that is trying build a competitive deck using "only" the 98% proportion of the card pool that isn't expensive mythics.

I agree with Highwayman that it was nice to see a deck not running multiple mythics but my favourite deck was the Goblin one, simple and to the point.

As I did last week, I am going to use my mono blue Proliferate deck.  I'm still short a couple of Lux Cannons from making this thing work.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I like low curve decks, so I'm going to ask another poster to help on this one:

"What are you supposed to get for six mana—green mana at that?"

[Insert random vanilla/terrible 6 mana drop for green mana.]

Also glad to see that a non Mythic-reliant deck did well, although I think it is more than likely due to the fact that no one in their right mind sideboarded for Vampires or mono-black in general.

Hopefully decks like this will continue to come out of left-field and give the "uh let's just toss 4 primevals, cobras, and avenger of zendikars in and see what happens" decks a run for their money.

A further note. The nice thing about black so far is that it doesn't have any 'must-play' mythics. Yes, Grave Titan is nice, but he's not essential. The problem with these cards (and Wizards knows this) is that in every single color sans black, if you do not play them your deck isn't living up to its full potential. Blue without Jace isn't good enough, Green without Primeval or Cobra isn't good enough, Red without Koth/Kargan/Inferno isn't good enough, White without Baneslayer/Gideon/Elspeth isn't good enough.

So, I say to you all, Keep the Rogue Decks Coming! Remember people: Mind over Mythics. 
I've been playing a B/u deck with Phylactery Lich that uses Trinket Mage to fetch up Darksteel Axes and other things to toss phylactery counters on. Yeah, Lich is fragile, but that's what Negate and Memoricide are for. *devious U/B villain-cackle*

I won last week's FNM with it, but no one I played against was playing White, and it's White that has the easiest time dodging Lich's indestructibility, so I can't say I'm certain how good the deck really is yet.

Still, it's an extremely fun deck to play and turned out to be more powerful than I thought it would be. (I think "Memoricide for Primeval Titan" is my favorite evil griefer play ever.)

And I came up with the deck all by my lonesome when everybody around is being all "Phylactery Lich sucks now!" so I'm rather proud of it.
Wow, I'm surprised to see Captivating Vampire getting played, considering that everyone was saying it sucked... too bad I listened to them and took the copies out of my Vampire deck. Oh well, I still have a week before I'll be playing it in an actual tournament.

I'm using Moriok Replica right now instead of Sign in Blood - more expensive, but it can be a creature for a few attack phases and I can sacrifice it to something else if I want. The only vampire tribal effect I have in my deck right now is the Malakir Bloodwitch, but I guess I could put a few more in. Blade of the Bloodchief looks better than I thought, and I'm already using another equipment: Nim Deathmantle. Can't wait to see how well that actually works with the Moriok Replicas.

Alpha Tyrranax
Fight for the Cookie! click for a secret message!
Show
click (again) for a secret message!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ
Show
WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?
Creator of:
Show
Standard:
Show
Soul Stealer Angeltap Bloodchief Ascension Black Knights Infect Knights Mono-Green Control Turbo Bant The Solution
Extended:
Show
Tight Sight 2010 Dralnu Fog Extended Knights Kor Dad Bolas Ramp
Legacy:
Show
DragonForce Tight Sight 2011 Hulk-Tooth All-in-Black Wake
Wins I have Witnessed[sblock]
57070368 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
Even metallix is gone now.
I'm right here.
Solar Flare

W/B/U control is so much fun to play, if a touch slow early

Land
----------------
Tectonic Edge x1
Drowned Catacomb x2
Evolving Wilds x1
Terramorphic Expanse x3
Jwar Isle Refuge x1
Glacial Fortress x3
Island x4
Plains x4
Halimar Depths x2
Swamp x2

Creatures
--------------------
Sphinx of Magosi x2
Pilgrim's Eye x2
Sun Titan x2
Mnemonic Wall x3
Grave Titan x2
Vampire Hexmage x4
Cadaver Imp x3
Blinding Mage x4

Other
---------------------
Everflowing chalice x4
Safe Passage x1
Jace Beleren x3
Whispersilk Cloak x1
Day of Judgement x4
Brittle Effigy x2

I've been playing a B/u deck with Phylactery Lich that uses Trinket Mage to fetch up Darksteel Axes and other things to toss phylactery counters on. Yeah, Lich is fragile, but that's what Negate and Memoricide are for. *devious U/B villain-cackle*

I won last week's FNM with it, but no one I played against was playing White, and it's White that has the easiest time dodging Lich's indestructibility, so I can't say I'm certain how good the deck really is yet.

Still, it's an extremely fun deck to play and turned out to be more powerful than I thought it would be. (I think "Memoricide for Primeval Titan" is my favorite evil griefer play ever.)

And I came up with the deck all by my lonesome when everybody around is being all "Phylactery Lich sucks now!" so I'm rather proud of it.

How about PM'ing me your decklist.  I've been goofing on a Red-Black and Blue-Black version and I'd like to see what you've made to make the Lich tick.

Also, I think White Quest was oddly absent.  We tuned the framework down to a very consistant deck that easily went off on any given turn.  With the ability fetch via two cards (Quest and Kor) and equip via two methods (quest & kor) the deck seemed to run like butter.  A modest influx of 6 fetch lands allowed it to thin it's mana base and still keep a very smooth go of things.  The dang thing would go from an Ornithopter on the board, to a fulfilled quest or Kor/Kor killer in one shot.  Not hard to catch people with their pants down.  Turn 2 was uncommon, but turn 3 was very common.  Even if you're stretching the White-Quest deck (Armor-Quest) to turn 5 or 6, it still just Ka-pow!  Ugly ugly ugly to see two quests hit off.  (one gets the armor, the other gets Akroma's sword).

Wow, I'm surprised to see Captivating Vampire getting played, considering that everyone was saying it sucked... too bad I listened to them and took the copies out of my Vampire deck. Oh well, I still have a week before I'll be playing it in an actual tournament.

I'm using Moriok Replica right now instead of Sign in Blood - more expensive, but it can be a creature for a few attack phases and I can sacrifice it to something else if I want. The only vampire tribal effect I have in my deck right now is the Malakir Bloodwitch, but I guess I could put a few more in. Blade of the Bloodchief looks better than I thought, and I'm already using another equipment: Nim Deathmantle. Can't wait to see how well that actually works with the Moriok Replicas.

I continue believeing Captivating Vampire does suck, especially in a deck that wants to sacrifice its creatures. It's true that if you get to steal something, you turn it into a vampire and can likely sacrifice it afterwards, but it's likely to be the best creature on the board, so you will not want to do that. I would replace the three copies with the fourth Hexmage, the fourth Nighthawk and the fourth Sign in Blood. I'd like the deck's pilot to explain if I'm wrong and why... Maybe there's so little removal in the format that reaching 5 vampires is actually very feasible, I don't know.

Otherwise, I must admit I'm very impressed by this decklist. Flores really doesn't do it justice because he doesn't explain how drastically different it is from the vampire decks of last season. It's not a classic weenie deck, but a brillantly crafted sacrifice deck. I would personaly call it Eat-A-Ghast : it is entirely focused on sacrificing and bringing back Bloodghast for tons of profit.  Eight sacrifice outlets, Eight leaves-the-battlefield trigger cards... With Kalastria Highborn and one of the outlets, you can always shoot your entire board in your opponent's face to finish the job. That's nasty!

"Pyroclasm, uh? I'll save my biggest guy, put 6 +1/+1 on him and drain you for 6. Next turn, fetch, return Bloodghast to the battlefield, attack you for lethal".
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

I continue believeing Captivating Vampire does suck, especially in a deck like this that wants to sacrifice its vampires. I would replace its three copies with the fourth Hexmage, the fourth Nighthawk and the fourth Sign in Blood. I'd like the deck's pilot to explain if I'm wrong and why...

Ole' Capt'n Vamp works really well straight up because of the ability to 'surpise' your opponent with it.  It causes players to seriously worry when you vampire count hits 2.  The vampire can steal your opponents creatures to allow your existing vampires to eat it. 

Getting your board position wiped clear in middle to late game isn't a unrecoverable position.  Generally your opponent will spend the next turn putting out his threat.  But you've likely hit 2 recursion vampires which really makes the deck tick.  It doesn't take much patience to build up a ka-pow turn where you drop a fetch-land, return the 2 vampire spirits to the board, play a sacrifice vampire, equip a Bloodblade, sacrifice the vampires, crack teh fetch.  Play 1 drop vampire and then the master.  That's 7 mana total to go from Nadda to hero.  Well worth 3 card slots to allow you to recover the win. 

Elves is a pretty good new standard deck. I'm surprised he didn't provide a decklist.
RDW with Masticores, and maindeck Tunnel Ignus and Mark of Mutiny for anyone playing green Titans.
excellent summary. much better than what maro is writing (in case he is reading this Smile). see his interview in starcity for more details

Alpha Tyrranax

Wow.  It isn't even a 6/6.  Thank you:-)
As I thought: no Leonin Arbiter in any sideboard.
There was too much fuss about it but in the end you won't waste the slots in that. Maybe if it didn't had the "Any player may pay 2 for that player to ignore this effect until end of turn"...

On the other hand, Obstinate Baloth is a card I did think was going to be (remain?) in (almost) every green sideboard. I guess that no Blightning means no Obstinate Baloth.

I'm running the exact same deck.

What did you use to beat valakut? Cause that's my only problem at this point.  I usually win 1 of the 3 matches.

FYI, my first few iterations are on the boards.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
Sign In to post comments