Twitter Buff Frustration

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm just wondering if I am the only DM who is getting frustrated by the Twitter Buffs as of late. Take the ones for Encounter 1-4 of the 6 buffs only two of them effect everyone. While the remaining four do nothing but help the PC's in the encounter.  I would be a lot more excited to read twitter buffs that affect everyone both positively or negatively.  Or at the very least are balanced.  Have the beam of moonlight hit a monster and PC.  Or maybe have it hit a couple squares on the field and have an effect to anyone in those squares. 

Please Wizards stop with the PC advantage TWITTER buffs

Agreed.
i think the current state of twitter buffs became a trend because they were so needed by the PCs in the latter part of season 1 and all of season 2 just to balance out the encounters somewhat.

now they're just running on auto-pilot, not remembering what the buffs were originally meant to do.
i think the current state of twitter buffs became a trend because they were so needed by the PCs in the latter part of season 1 and all of season 2 just to balance out the encounters somewhat.

now they're just running on auto-pilot, not remembering what the buffs were originally meant to do.

I agree. There were some encounters in Season 2 that the PCs would not have survived without the buffs they got from Twitter.  If I recall, in the 15 weeks, the tables I ran only hit 1 Tweet that didn't help them and instead damaged everyone (and it was in week 1).

I also agree that this season (so far) seems to be much easier fights and maybe a couple of negative buffs or buffs for all (like the 'everyone crits on a 19 and 20') could be incorporated.

However, I don't have a problem with boosts for characters only.  The players enjoy it.  I've been using one of the ideas from WoTC in an email over the summer and I made +1 tokens and every person that spends money in the store on D&D material on an Encounters night... gets a +1 for every $10.  I have had a player sit down with 8 of them... or 2-3 guys each having one or two.  I let them add the +1 to any dice roll they make, after it is rolled. Does it help them a lot? Yes.  Do they really enjoy the benefit? Yes.  The store is happy as it provides a little bit of incentive to buy while there.

Since the players really enjoy it, it doesn't frustrate me at all... I'm only there to try and run a game for everyone to have fun.
Funny, my group hasn't used twitter buffs at all (and has remained completely unaware of them, actually) and we've done fine.

Only one death in Underdark, and only 2 in Dark Sun (1 in session 1, 1 in session 11)

This is with an evil DM, who will respawn minions in every encounter if he thinks we're not sweating enough (read: always)
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
I'll have to concur here. The encounters this season are so easy, the twitter buffs just feel like overkill. Fortunately, the last session had a buff that hurt the PCs more than helped them. (Adding huge areas of difficult terrain really messed with them late in the encounter.)
Pardon the question, but what is a twitter buff?
Every Wednesday, while Encounters is running, Wizards sends out a tweet once per hour. If your table is in session at the time that the tweet comes out, the 'buff' is in effect.

If you are a player, I'd advise against reading these as they can contain some spoiler information.... unless you are at the table and providing the information for the DM.

This is part of what makes Encounters different and why Wizards wants everyone to run on Wednesdays.
LOL, I do have to agree, as last week, the Tweet was making almost everything difficult terrain, which ripped away a lot of shifting from the kobolds, thereby making it a virtual cakewalk for the players.

I'm just wondering if I am the only DM who is getting frustrated by the Twitter Buffs as of late. Take the ones for Encounter 1-4 of the 6 buffs only two of them effect everyone. While the remaining four do nothing but help the PC's in the encounter.  I would be a lot more excited to read twitter buffs that affect everyone both positively or negatively.  Or at the very least are balanced.  Have the beam of moonlight hit a monster and PC.  Or maybe have it hit a couple squares on the field and have an effect to anyone in those squares. 

Please Wizards stop with the PC advantage TWITTER buffs

Agreed. My party steamrolled last night's encounter, even with extra slimes added to even things up. But one guy flashed his phone to the DM and suddenly starts getting +1 bonus to all his attack rolls. I didn't really get why, but didn't care to ask.

Turns out, I follow the D&DEncounters twitter. I've been eyeballing them for ways to spice up my own encounters as a DM. But when it comes down to it, as my friend pointed out today, "We don't need cheat codes for D&D."

They would be much better if they were just better balanced. 
I don't mind the twitter buffs helping the characters since that is what they are meant to do and as DM I can always disallow any I think are too powerful...

My frustration is when they contain creature spoilers... more than once, my group tracked the 6 or so rotating buffs to see what they were fighting that night... it ruins the surprise, especially when the spoiler is for a creature hiding at the start of the encounter