Dragon 392 - Channel Divinity: Kord, Champions of Might and Courage

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.pngDragon 392
Channel Divinity: Kord, Champions of Might and Courage

by Matt Sernett

Mortals can serve themselves and honor Kord by being mighty and courageous, or they can squander their lives in weakness and ignominy; it matters not to Kord, who welcomes the brave and strong among his faithful.

Talk about this Article here.

392_cd_kord.jpg
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

i am impressed at how thorough this article is, within the topics it discusses.  very helpful in better understanding kord and worship of kord.

i very much like "talented athletics."  between that skill power and another ability to make a standing leap as though you were running, a character could really feel like an athletic marvel. 
Big YEAH for new Skill Utilities and an awesome Article in general!
I like the concept of Talented Athletics, but it feels a bit much. Say a character with it was confronted by a sheer 100' wall with a DC high enough that they needed to roll 18+ to succeed. Yet, with this power... they can climb it, since they never have a chance of falling off.

I like the idea of reducing the chance of failure, but dislike eliminating it completely. I'd prefer if the power couldn't be used if you failed by too much (more than 10) or rolled a 1 or if there was some limitation that prevented this from being so absolute.
I like the concept of Talented Athletics, but it feels a bit much. Say a character with it was confronted by a sheer 100' wall with a DC high enough that they needed to roll 18+ to succeed. Yet, with this power... they can climb it, since they never have a chance of falling off.

I like the idea of reducing the chance of failure, but dislike eliminating it completely. I'd prefer if the power couldn't be used if you failed by too much (more than 10) or rolled a 1 or if there was some limitation that prevented this from being so absolute.

i thought about this.

say, for example, it were a 1,000 or even 10,000 feet wall instead of a 100 feet wall, just to make my point clearer.  it seems to me that, under that sort of circumstance, a dm could--and probably should--rule that endurance now plays a role in the character's ability to complete the climb.  now, a skill other than athletics is involved, which is not affected by this skill power.

i think that this approach allows a character to enjoy the benefits of having invested in this power, without the game becoming too unreasonable (i would have said unrealistic, but then, this IS d&D we are talking about). 
Personally, I like talented athletics.  It gives me a reason to explain why the character didn't die from a failed athletics check.  Death by wall-climb is lame.  Its something red-shirts do.  Player Characters should have a much more heroic death than that.  If a wall kills a PC, that wall better have spike traps, arrows flying from archers/turrets, gouts of flame, and monstrous spiders climbing all over it.  Otherwise, its just not epic enough to merit a death.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Personally, I like talented athletics.  It gives me a reason to explain why the character didn't die from a failed athletics check.  Death by wall-climb is lame.  Its something red-shirts do.  Player Characters should have a much more heroic death than that.  If a wall kills a PC, that wall better have spike traps, arrows flying from archers/turrets, gouts of flame, and monstrous spiders climbing all over it.  Otherwise, its just not epic enough to merit a death.

in a similar vein, one of the things i like about talented athletics is that it allows my character to be courageous.  no matter how challenging and dangerous the athletic task that a dm throws at me, such as a wall that has "spike traps, arrows flying from archers/turrets, gouts of flame, and monstrous spiders climbing all over it," i can say, "i'll give it a go."  and the lesser athletic members of the party can stand in awe, mouths agape, thinking "my hero," with a subtle tear forming at the corner of the eyes.  Laughing

i suppose that is one of the reasons why this skill power is so fitting for kord flavor.

On the other paw, to me that just says 'you don't require a skill check for climing that wall'.

For the article itself, I rather liked that it was a Channel Divinity article that I can actually use, since none of the mechanics require a divine character or even caring who Kord is.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I loved this article.  I know that people in my group will use these.
Sign In to post comments