Gamma World Arena

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I picked up Gamma World this weekend at RinCon, Tucson's annual gaming con, and ran it twice at the con. My housemate and I really like the game and find it to be quite fun. (One of his most recent characters was "Dave the burning bush." All of his characters are named "Dave the...") We also took it to the local game store on Tuesday night and introduced a kid about 10 years old to his first RPG. (Yeah, okay, it says 12+ on the box, don't tell his mom.)

What we're gonna next is this: Gamma World Arena, for that "Thunderdome" feel. We figure it'd be quick and easy to teach the rules this way, as well as immediately start up with with some action! So far we've tested it out in one-on-one matches and threeway fights. Works good so far, albeit fights are over quickly at low level.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Announcer: "Two men enter, one man leaves!"

Gladiator One: "Um, I'm not a man. I'm a half-fish, half-android."

Gladiator Two: "And, uh, I'm a 9-foot tall baby with psychic powers."

Announcer: ".... Two things enter, one thing leaves!" 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
What's the payoff on two fish, a beef bullion cube, and seven rechargeable 9 volt batteries when bet on the half-fish/half-android?
The 9-foot baby with psychic powers is the PC for a Wizards designer, so is heavily favored. Your payoff is a box of Twinkies and a solar-powered iPod loaded with Johnny Cash.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Damn me for not carrying the book with me to work, but I seem to recall that Twinkees (in their non-brand name form) are in one of the random item lists.  I assume the iPod is as well?

GM:  As you search the surrounding area, you find something... golden.
Players (in unison):  GOLD?!!!  Yes!
GM:  Well, golden and delicious.  It's a pack of two cream-filled sponge cakes, still in the wrapper.  They look as edible as the day they were manufactured.
Player:  So, uh, when are we getting back to playing D&D again?
Twinkies... That reminds me of an old Gamma World adventure... Our party of brave bumblers (we weren't really adventurers we stumbled into adventures) found the impressive old tech Hostss factory... Populated by an army of sentient Twinkies... I'll just say we only won the day because of a cast iron stomach and temporal fuege powers... Never snickered about the power cast iron stomach again...