Need some rulings (possible errata)

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here are a couple oddities I've run into while looking through the GW rulebook. As the game's so new, I'm not sure if these are true errata, or just particularities of the game. I'd appreciate any thoughts on either of these matters.

1) The novice powers for some origins (Empath, Giant, Hawkoid, Hypercognitive, Plant, Rat Swarm, Speedster, Yeti) are Encounter powers, while the rest are At-Will. However, they all have a green title bar. Now, my brain, honed on years of D&D 4E, keeps telling me that these should all be at-wills, but I don't think that the error would be made so often.

2) The felinoid expert power Killing Bite has a special entry that reads as follows: "When charging, you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack." However, GW doesn't provide for charging, and even if it did, it doesn't specify that a melee basic attack should be used at the end of one.

My gut says that 1) is part of the game, while 2) needs to be errated. Let me know what you guys think.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon

I agree with you on 2) the power was probably written by someone who didn't realize charging had been cut.  As a GM, I will certainly let people Charge in GW, though.

1) I'm not so sure of.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for a novice power to be an Encounter. (For one thing, that'd just give a character with two such Origins startlingly little to do in most fights.) I think any playtesters or proofreaders would, like you, be looking first at the color of the bar.  I didn't even notice it, for that reason.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I agree with you on 2) the power was probably written by someone who didn't realize charging had been cut.  As a GM, I will certainly let people Charge in GW, though.

1) I'm not so sure of.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for a novice power to be an Encounter. (For one thing, that'd just give a character with two such Origins startlingly little to do in most fights.) I think any playtesters or proofreaders would, like you, be looking first at the color of the bar.  I didn't even notice it, for that reason.

Given it's basis in 4E, I didn't even notice the lack of charging.
I admit I skimmed the parts that were familiar. I'll allow any typical 4E-isms that make sense, including charging.

As for Encounter novice powers, I don't see the problem.
By the writing, it's clear that MBA/RBA are the expected norm.

The at-will powers are not much stronger than basic weapon attacks.
Cockroach is Con+Lvl vs Fort, 2d8+Con+2[Lvl] and push 1.
Heavy 2-hand melee weapon with an MBA is
Str/Con+Acc(2)+Lvl vs AC, 2d8+Str/Con+1[Lvl].

The Cockroach power is a bit more damage (equal to level) and push 1.
Better than MBA (as at-will powers normally are) but not a lot.

Now look at the Novice encounter powers. You have things like Close Burst 2 powers.
Giant has a burst 1 knock prone.

Those are NOT at-will powers. They are cool encounter powers, but otherwise you use an MBA or RBA (all guns are RBA, for instance).

Basic Attack does not equal useless in GW, unlike D&D.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

I noticed this when crafting a Yeti Hawkoid.  It may simply be that the game assumes you make more normal weapon attacks than your average game of D&D.  The weapon attacks are, after all, nearly as potent as the origin at-wills, if not moreso.

Played a game last Sat night and I ran into a similar problem with 2 origins that had ENCOUNTER novice powers.  I was a Hypercognitive Speedster.  So I had 2 attacks (neither of which seem encounter-power strength) then I was religated to running around (as much as I could as the maps were tiny) and throwing screwdrivers (my ranged weapon of choice) at the baddies.

The speedster power lets you shift before the attack and if you hit shift after the attack... other than that it is a regular weapon attack.  I don't see how that isn't an at-will.
The Hypercognitive attack (again a weapon attack power) still only hit one target and then you get CA on the target until next turn. 

I would blow my 2 encounters then spend the rest of the fight not doing anything very interesting (unless I drew a good alpha or omega... which then game me 1 or 2 fun things to do).

I wonder if Charging should be added back in, to me that was one of the big surprise deltas between GW and 4e basic.
I wonder if Charging should be added back in, to me that was one of the big surprise deltas between GW and 4e basic.

I don't know...I'd argue no. The Felinoid power is the only thing that mentions it—no other powers, no Alpha Mutations, nothing. So it makes more sense to change one power then to add a whole new mechanic.

There's always been a slight problem with charging in 4E. What charging really does is give you an extra move action, because you can in effect double-move and then attack. In D&D, this is balanced out by the fact that you're forced to use an MBA, when most characters would rather use their at-will powers. But with the increased weapon damage in GW, and the increased reliance on MBAs, perhaps the unbalanced aspects of charging became a bit more prominent?

P.S. If I ruled the world, I'd change Killing Bite so that you can shift half your speed before the attack.

Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I posted the question on 4e rules forum, as it appears we are not getting eyes in here.  But my wager is they will just remove the special line all together.
I'm allowing Charging.

GW is ranged attack heavy as it is, so a minor edge added to melee is no biggie.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
I also allow charging.

Back onto the subject of Encounter Novice powers.  How is the Empaths power an Encounter power?  It has a range of 3... does no damage... weakens the enemy (somewhat usesful)... and grants 4 TEMP hp.  This would be a pretty lame At-Will and yet it is an encounter power.
One thing that hasn't come up but has me worried for is a player that rolls up a strictly Wis/Cha character. Hyper/Empath would be the best example. The poor sap has 2 encounter powers and if he rolls poor on Light or Heavy attributes his basic attacks are gonna be terrible.

In my head Id let the player use WIS for Ranged attacks and CHA for melee attacks.

Or if he rolled the same attribute for his origins maybe giving him a 16 in any attribute he wanted.

Ideas? 
Because Weakened reduces all the target's attacks to 1/2 damage, it is generally considered a pretty serious condition and no at-will inflicts it anywhere in 4E. Powers which inflict the Weakened effect are always Encounter or Daily powers.

The whole idea of Novice Encounter powers is odd to me. With the current table, you have about a 1 in 7 chance of making a character with no at-wills. I can't say I would want to play that character.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Perhaps a recharge mechanic for Novice Encounter powers... something similar to monster power recharges.
No at-wills was the reason our plant/empath became a plant/seismic.

Having no at-wills may not be a bad design decision, but it certainly aint fun!
One thing that hasn't come up but has me worried for is a player that rolls up a strictly Wis/Cha character. Hyper/Empath would be the best example. The poor sap has 2 encounter powers and if he rolls poor on Light or Heavy attributes his basic attacks are gonna be terrible.

Then he's terrible.

Gamma World isn't about everyone being equally useful or competent in combat.

It's random. Worst case, I'd let them reroll if it was a real issue.

Then he's terrible.

Yeah, he'll just die quicker. It's no big deal. If someone doesn't like the character they end up with, sure, let 'im reroll. But first make him admit "bawww, I'm a big crybaby" before allowing the reroll.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

Then he's terrible.

He could find some entertaining way to die, or maybe find some other way to be useful in combat than basic attacks.  Kinda like an AD&D wizard who just launched his one spell.
The one house rule I'm using is that for secondary stats, you have a choice.

A: Roll as specified
B: Take an array of 13 12 11 10 (14)

The array matches the original PHB array of 16 14 13 12 11 10, you then get +2 for each origin, making your 18 and 16. (If you got a 20, then you get the (14) on the array as well).

Thus no critical weaknesses and no flukey powerhouses.
The one house rule I'm using is that for secondary stats, you have a choice.

A: Roll as specified
B: Take an array of 13 12 11 10 (14)

The array matches the original PHB array of 16 14 13 12 11 10, you then get +2 for each origin, making your 18 and 16. (If you got a 20, then you get the (14) on the array as well).

Thus no critical weaknesses and no flukey powerhouses.

The problem is that the PHB array assumes you're going to roll 4d6 drop lowest, arrange as you like, and thus gives an average of 11.5.

But Gamma World assumes you're rolling 3d6, in order.  That averages out to 10.5. So you could drop the array down to 12, 11, 10, 9 which has the same average. However, letting players choose where to place their stats is going to throw things off again.

So maybe say "for your secondary stats, roll 8 + 1d4" or maybe just drop the array another point and let them arrange as desired:  11, 10, 9, 8.

In Gamma World, having low stats is not really a big handicap. My housemate's favorite character (well, one of them) had a 3 Int. He was a powerhouse. I think you're overthinking this by wanting to have PHB level of stats for GW characters.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Yeah, I think we're getting a little bit too worried about balance. If Gamma Terra were real, and people were randomly getting mutations, they wouldn't all be created equal. Some people would be powerhouses, and some people would get the short end of the stick.

The good news is that from what I've heard, the powerhouses are just as susceptible to dying as the weaklings. So just go with it until you die, and then roll up a new character. For people used to playing D&D, it's going to take a sec to get past the "horror" of crappy characters and dying. But it's part of the fun and the chaos of the game.
I think you're overthinking this by wanting to have PHB level of stats for GW characters.

ope, I'm going with Rule Of Fun.

Some people can easily have their fun impacted by some bad stat rolls, because they're bad rolls you're STUCK with.
For them, they can take an array, have some decent stats and not worry about it.

Others want more chaos. They can roll all they want
Yeah, I think we're getting a little bit too worried about balance. If Gamma Terra were real, and people were randomly getting mutations, they wouldn't all be created equal. Some people would be powerhouses, and some people would get the short end of the stick.

Yep, and Gamma World's prettymuch always been that way.  Thus the classic 'hopeless character' rule.  Heck by 1st-ed GW standards, all the characters in 7th are powerhouses.  Two powers as good or better than weapon attack to start, an 18 and 16 (or a 20!), heal half your hit point every encounter, all of them between encounters - and /no defects/!  

Anyway, it's always been a bit like high-speed evolution.  Even if you didn't invoke the hopeless character rule, the crap characters would tend to die and be replaced fairly quickly.  When they didn't, they'd often become quite memorable and fun...

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Anyway, it's always been a bit like high-speed evolution.  Even if you didn't invoke the hopeless character rule, the crap characters would tend to die and be replaced fairly quickly.  When they didn't, they'd often become quite memorable and fun...

To me, that's enough of a reason to disallow the "hopeless character" rule at my table.

I think you're overthinking this by wanting to have PHB level of stats for GW characters.

ope, I'm going with Rule Of Fun.

Some people can easily have their fun impacted by some bad stat rolls, because they're bad rolls you're STUCK with.
For them, they can take an array, have some decent stats and not worry about it.

Others want more chaos. They can roll all they want

Hopeless characters are extra fun. If your players don't agree with this, you probably should reconsider playing Gamma World with them, because they WON'T enjoy the game with that kind of mindset.

That said, it's nearly impossible to roll up a truly hopeless character. There's a single pair of origins that could present a problem, and that's assuming that you don't get a fluke good score on your 3d6 rolls.  Even then, your character will still be pretty competent (two good defenses including AC).

Gamma World very much minimalizes the effects of a few bad stats. Your 3d6 rolls will rarely make or break a character, and players who think they're doomed because they rolled a 5 just don't understand the game enough -- or they're letting their ego get in their way. ("I can't play a DUMB character!")

Getting back to the characters with no At-Will powers (which I realize is does not make said character hopeless or useless... just boring) I think I might house rule.

I'm liking the following right now:

If you get a character with 2 encounter powers your encounter power from your primary origin novice power becomes an At-Will.

The origins with encounter novice powers are:

Empath (Cha) -- Vitality Transfer
Giant (Str) -- Brickbat
Hawkoid (Wis) -- Terrifying Shriek
Hypercognitive (Wis) -- Uncanny Strike
Plant (Con) -- Lashing Creepers
Rat Swarm (Dex) -- Swarm!
Speedster (Dex) -- Quick Attack
Yeti (Str) -- Big Claws

Of those, the only ones which wouldn't be overpowering if used as at-wills are Uncanny Strike, Swarm!, and Quick Attack. The rest are too powerful for at-wills.

Note that anything with Str, Con, or Dex already has a good melee basic and ranged basic attack -- so we don't need to feel that sorry for them.

That just leaves the problem of the Charisma- and Wisdom-based origins: Empath, Hawkoid, and Hypercognitive. There's a 1.5% chance of rolling such a character (no at-will and not automatically good basic attacks), 12.5% chance of rolling a character with no at-wills and a good basic attacks, and a 14% chance overall of rolling a character without any at-wills.

For Hypercognitive you might want to allow them to use their power as an at-will. For Hawkoid and Empath, at-will isn't a good idea, so you might want to just let them reroll instead if they're unhappy or bored with their character. Or give them an extra Omega Tech draw at the start of the game.
For Hypercognitive you might want to allow them to use their power as an at-will. For Hawkoid and Empath, at-will isn't a good idea, so you might want to just let them reroll instead if they're unhappy or bored with their character. Or give them an extra Omega Tech draw at the start of the game.

Kudos on the math, but I think I'm going to stick with your earlier comment. If players are going to whine about randomness, or not getting good origins/cards, or not being as powerful or balanced as the guy sitting next to them, this game isn't for them. There are too many people trying to make this game D&D, and it's not. It's not designed to be 100% balanced. Post-apocalyptic is about survival, and part of that means learning how to be effective when you get dealt a lousy hand.

It might help to keep in mind that we're playing a game. That's supposed to be fun. This might just be me, but if someone at my table was upset because their character was underpowered, I'd wonder whether they were playing the game to have an enjoyable time, or just to get an ego boost.
@ Oraibi and battles14

Consider taking a moment to think about the possibility that what you feel is the 'right' way to play or the 'right' way to have fun is different for other people.

I really don't see how someone wanting to play Gamma World with some changes from the rules as written makes them any less worthy of playing it, or means that they shouldn't be playing Gamma World, or that it's somehow an indicator that they need some kind of external ego-stroke. Maybe - just maybe - they really like the setting or the art, or any number of other things about Gamma World, but they want to play in a way that is less random, less lethal, or that balances the relative power of all the characters at their table.

In short: there's no need to attack people for wanting to play the game differently than you do.
AFossDDI, I didn't attack anyone.

I do think that if someone is the type of player who "can easily have their fun impacted by some bad stat rolls, because they're bad rolls you're STUCK with," then Gamma World isn't a real good game for them. Gamma World is a game where nearly everything about your character is random.

Yeah, people can pay the game with whatever changes they want to make, but after a while it becomes a situation where they really aren't playing this game -- the one with out-of-control random nonsense -- and are playing something different entirely.

They're welcome to do that -- but again it's showing that this game, Gamma World, isn't really the game for them and never was.

That's not a personal attack, just an opinion, and I don't really like you painting me as someone who simply "attacked."

You're right, that wasn't an attack so much as a dismissal with a bit of a derisive tone.

So let's pretend that I made exactly the same statement, but swap the word 'attack' with whetever language fits to carry across being dismissive and/or derisive of what others want out of Gamma World.

It seems clear to me that the game was written around that idea that characters would have random powers and unbalanced stats without breaking the game. I'm pretty damn confident that the game will run just fine with characters that have static powers and balanced stat lines as well.

Sometimes, my Gamma World games are going to be as zany as zany can get. Sometimes we're going to choose our origins (and mutations, and stats via an array, and starting omega tech) to match the ideas we may have for a character, and we're going to have a game with a very low level of zany and wacky. We'll still be playing Gamma World that whole time, regardless of what you (or anyone else) thinks is the 'real' or 'right' way to play Gamma World.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone playing Gamma World and having fun in the process is doing it right.
I don't get why you're trying to pick a fight here with me. Put away your own attacks buddy, and the terrible strawmen you're pulling out also.
AFossDDI, I didn't attack anyone.

I do think that if someone is the type of player who "can easily have their fun impacted by some bad stat rolls, because they're bad rolls you're STUCK with," then Gamma World isn't a real good game for them. Gamma World is a game where nearly everything about your character is random.

The difference here is one of perception... but look at the random rolls you're "stuck" with.
You have origin - and there are no bad origins
You have ability scores - there certainly are bad ability scores.
You have a random skill - there are no bad skills.
That's it.

Every other random thing about your character GOES AWAY. Get saddled with Giant Feet and a teddy bear? Finish the encounter and you draw something new. Problem solved.

Gamma World is a game for anybody - saying otherwise smacks of elitism.

Randomness is not the point of the game. The point of the game is to have fun. If not having to roll stats (while still doing EVERY other random thing) is what it takes for someone to have fun... what's the problem?
Hey, if people want to give themselves all 18s so they can feel better bout themselves and have fun I'm all for it.

Because ultimately your ability scores won't make much of a difference anyway, and a bad score makes for a much more interesting character than one with a guaranteed "average array" or all "good" scores.
Because ultimately your ability scores won't make much of a difference anyway, and a bad score makes for a much more interesting character than one with a guaranteed "average array" or all "good" scores.

No, a bade score does NOT make for a more interesting character.

Bifff the Mighteee can be just as interesting (i.e. not at all) no matter what his scores are.

What makes an interesting character is an interesting PLAYER.

If someone's fun will be ruined by a bad roll, do you really think forcing them to play that out is going to result in a virtuoso performance? That's what you're saying here, you realize.

Gamma World is a game for anybody - saying otherwise smacks of elitism.

Also, no, saying that not all games are going to appeal to every person isn't some kind of elitism. There are plenty of people for whom Gamma World will hold very little appeal, and there's no single game that can be guaranteed to have universal appeal.

Remember that in the rules-as-written, you're not only discouraged from having control over your character concept, you're actively mocked in the game text.

Page 29, for example:
What mutations does your character possess? Is he or she strong, agile or brilliant? [...] It's all up to you.

Well ... not exactly. Now that you have your ideal character fixed firmly in your mind, pick up some dice and start rolling to see what sort of bizarre freak you're ACTUALLY going to play.

Sorry, that's life in Gamma Terra.

Now that you understand how it is, here are the rules for building a character to explore this dangerous world.

Page 35:
If you really want to play something specific, ask your Game Master if you can pick your origins. But you're a big chicken.

I can easily see people reading those rules and deciding "you know, that's just not the game for me; I don't like that much randomness in my game." I can see other people going "well, screw it, I'm going to ignore that rule and any other rule I don't like," and while it's certainly their option to do so, it seems an odd starting point to use in a non-random game, given that the game itself insults (attacks?) you if you don't like random character generation.

If I don't like chess because it has no dice, I could go ahead and add in random rolls somewhere. Does that mean chess is a good game for me to play now? ("A pawn moves 1d4 squares forward. When attacking, each side makes an opposed 1d20 roll with +1 for pawns up to +10 for queens; highest roll wins.") Am I still playing chess?

No, a bade score does NOT make for a more interesting character.

Bifff the Mighteee can be just as interesting (i.e. not at all) no matter what his scores are.

What makes an interesting character is an interesting PLAYER.

If someone's fun will be ruined by a bad roll, do you really think forcing them to play that out is going to result in a virtuoso performance? That's what you're saying here, you realize.

If someone's fun is going to be ruined by a bad roll, they're probably playing the wrong game. (Which is what I've been saying all along.)

Sure, you can ignore everything that might give you bad rolls or annoying random chances or whatever, but why bother? When you have to put up safety cushions for players who can't handle a bad roll, that's a sign that maybe the very random and chaotic Gamma World game might not be what they'd have the most fun playing.

d20 rolls might piss someone off too. I've had many players get frustrated because they kept missing their attacks in 4e. Should I have instituted an auto-hit rule, or should I have just told them that sometimes the dice go in their favor and sometimes they don't?

When I rolled a 3 intelligence, i cried inside. 
While there technically are no "bad" skills, a very low ability score can make trying to use a skill nearly pointless or worse frustrating for a player.

The one valid complaint I can see a player coming up with about low ability scores and skills is that the skill table favors Int and Wis origins. The ratio of ability/Origin is fairly even, but not so in the skills department. Thus I can see being unlucky on ability score rolls could make them feel less able to contribute to the group's success as a whole, as powers and attacks are primarily a wash. The issue is compounded if the random skill also uses a "bad" ability score.

# of Skills by Key Ability
Str: 1
Con: 0
Dex: 2
Int: 3
Wis: 3
Cha: 1

# of Origins by Key Ability
Power:
Str: 3
Con: 4
Dex: 3
Int: 3
Wis: 4
Cha: 3

That said, I'm still in favor of the random stat rolling. In fact, I have one player that prefers to use arrays, and may initially have an issue with this. However I am counting on the setting and other mechanics to help him get over this hurdle.
If I don't like chess because it has no dice, I could go ahead and add in random rolls somewhere. Does that mean chess is a good game for me to play now? ("A pawn moves 1d4 squares forward. When attacking, each side makes an opposed 1d20 roll with +1 for pawns up to +10 for queens; highest roll wins.") Am I still playing chess?

Gamma Chess
d20 rolls might piss someone off too. I've had many players get frustrated because they kept missing their attacks in 4e. Should I have instituted an auto-hit rule, or should I have just told them that sometimes the dice go in their favor and sometimes they don't?

You're missing my point.

A bad attack roll? GOES AWAY. You make another one next turn.
A bad alpha mutation? GOES AWAY. You draw again after the encounter.

A bad ability score is TILL DEATH. It will never go away, get better or even change until you're dead, and then everything goes away. Including all the things you like.

To me, it's not a matter of randomness, it's a matter of duration.

Then again, right now I'm thinking in terms of Game Day, and the idea is for everyone to have fun while trying something new, and having someone think they suck (whether or not they do) will ruin the fun for everyone.

But enough about this, on to a more relevant topic.
Your character sheet is awesome. Just printed off 50 at work (heh).

OK, here's one really on topic.

Feliniod Novice Power - Slashing Claws
It's a standard action, at-will

But it does TWO attacks (vs Reflex!).
And if both hits, it's 2[W] and BLIND.

That's WAY powerful. More powerful than Speedster Quick Attack, for instance, and that's an Encounter. More powerful than Twin Strike, and CharOps knows how overpowered that is.

Do you think it was supposed to be an Encounter power?
(Conversely, I would make Quick Attack at-will, and Move instead of Shift)
OK, here's one really on topic.

Feliniod Novice Power - Slashing Claws
It's a standard action, at-will

But it does TWO attacks (vs Reflex!).
And if both hits, it's 2[W] and BLIND.

That's WAY powerful. More powerful than Speedster Quick Attack, for instance, and that's an Encounter. More powerful than Twin Strike, and CharOps knows how overpowered that is.

Do you think it was supposed to be an Encounter power?
(Conversely, I would make Quick Attack at-will, and Move instead of Shift)

It's not 2[W], it's 2d6 if both attack rolls hit, so the damage is on par with the other powers. However, the ability to blind is pretty strong, although it is situational in that it requires both attack rolls to hit. So until I see it in action, it's hard to say how strong it really is.

As for Speedster Quick Attack, the ability to shift 2 before the attack and 2 more on a hit is very strong. 4 free squares (granted 2 are situational) of non-OA movement is to powerful to allow as an at-will is my gut feeling. Changing to Move vs. Shift could be the solution, but I'll wait until my players bring it up before tweaking.