Major Problems with the Monster Builder (as of 10-13-10)

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but the title of the forum is "Monster Builder." Also, please forgive me if this has been posted before.

I'm having major problems with the Monster Builder software at the moment. Here is a list of what is happening:

The software is failing to save several fields in the powers:
  • triggers

• requirements

• recharge

It also sometimes fails to update the type of action required to use the power. For example, when I change a power from immediate interrupt to immediate reaction. The print out of the power does not update to immediate reaction.

In the lefthand colomn where the powers are listed there are two major problems.

First, it won't let me drag & drop the powers into the order I want them to appear.

Next, it organizes powers by the action required to use them & not under the correct categories. For example, my Triggered powers are appearing under the Free category instead of the Triggered category.

Thank you.
It also messes-up Resists on a regular basis.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

It also messes-up Resists on a regular basis.

Not to mention failing to update equipment if you edit the equipment list.

And subtracting six from most movement modes, I regularly get monsters with Climb 2 rather than Climb 8 and the like.

Some of this comes out right if you save the monster, completely close the monster builder, and then reopen it prior to printing the monster, it's failing to update what it displays even if it updates the data base or something.

That won't fix everything, but it at least gets the equipment and languages right.
its been like this since the mm3 update, with no hint of when it will be fixed Cry
I think we have to assume that the lack of VCL or WotC presence is on purpose and that the Web tools they are discussing will replace the MB. It is pretty close to impossible for the lack of attention to be gross negligence at this point. (The approach might leave much to be desired...)

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I was pretty amazed when I realized that my Emerald Claw Necromancer suddenly does 1436D6 +30 Damage with a Ray of Enfeeblement... That's impressive for a lvl 5 creature, isn't it?

But maybe this was intentional because he plans to blackmail his Vampire Lord boss!

Why intentional, you do ask?
Why, the Vampire Lord's  HP are around -142123332214; of course you need a certain number of D6s to kill him :-) And since he's undead it's reasonable that his HP are negative.
After several weeks of alterations and tweaking, I had two monsters simply vanish from my program!! They were there one day and I went back the next day to work on them again and they were simply gone. Had to completely rebuild them. It's happened twice so far.
glad it's not just me, you can delete and re-enter resists and vulnerable stats.

i did 20 monsters last night though and by the end i could not be bothered!

also trigger powers that do not state what sets them off once you start editing it!
Recharge dice/die images disappear when you edit a monster.

Plus a numebr of other things change when you edit a monster even if you don't touch them.
The damage entry doesn't know what a minus sign is and automatically changes them to a plus. I'm trying to build a custom Kobold Minion with a dagger 1d4 -1 (because Str 8) but it just does whatever it wants and makes the attack 1d4 + 1 instead.

They should hire Bioware (or some other respectable company aka not Obsidian) to make a Character / Monster / Encounter (Adventure) Builder program professionally and sell that in stores on CD's. They made a fantastic Character Builder I've used many many many times called "Neverwinter Nights" for D&D 3.5e.
"Internet moderators have as much intelligence as the Sahara Desert has rain." - RubicantX ORC's are not known for high Int stats.

Any possibility AT ALL of getting an "unpatch" patch or anything of the kind ?

I'd gladly have all the monsters from the last patch deleted if I could get a working MB again. This is what I bought the subscription for! (Along with the *soon* to be released encounter builder and other DM tools.)

Anyway to get this blasted thing to work legally ?

The damage entry doesn't know what a minus sign is and automatically changes them to a plus. I'm trying to build a custom Kobold Minion with a dagger 1d4 -1 (because Str 8) but it just does whatever it wants and makes the attack 1d4 + 1 instead.

They should hire Bioware (or some other respectable company aka not Obsidian) to make a Character / Monster / Encounter (Adventure) Builder program professionally and sell that in stores on CD's. They made a fantastic Character Builder I've used many many many times called "Neverwinter Nights" for D&D 3.5e.

You know, that NeverwinterNights was a game, right? =P But I understand what you are saying, Bioware have really good developers who also got MOST of the rules righ in all d20 based games they made (not all, but most, like, no sneak attack or the likes with ranged weapons, if I remember correctly). To be honest, if I would get paid, even I could decelop that tool working and in less time than they are taking. TWO YEARS and not even an Encounter Builder is released, you are joking right?

Any possibility AT ALL of getting an "unpatch" patch or anything of the kind ?

I'd gladly have all the monsters from the last patch deleted if I could get a working MB again. This is what I bought the subscription for! (Along with the *soon* to be released encounter builder and other DM tools.)

Anyway to get this blasted thing to work legally ?

This is what I want: my MB restored to its pre-MMIII patch status when it was functioning well and essentially bug-free.

Of course, considering the total lack of leadership being displayed by WotC over the whole DDi debacle I frankly don't expect either an "unpatch" or a functional MB for several more months. It's going to get worse in December because, in yet another example of appalling leadership, many people will be laid off in the annual pre-Christmas retrenchment frenzy.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
Sign In to post comments