10/13/2010 BoaB: "Distortions"

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I hate to be one of those people that point out mistakes, but in your list you have 3 Distortion Strikes main boarded.  In your description of what you board out you take out 4 Distortion Strikes.  

Just so you know.

EDIT: You also have 3 Foresees in the main board and post board you have 4, even though you never boarded any in.  

All this nitpicking, I feel so dirty.  Tongue out 
These humans, their imaginations are strong. Kill a thousand men and they will hate you. Kill a million men and they will queue to face you. But kill a single man and they will see monsters and devils in every shadow. Kill a dozen men and they will scream and wail in the night, and they shall feel not hatred, but fear. Excerpt from Simon Spurrier's Lord of the Night
You forgot the 2 Call to Mind he doesn't have Postboard even though he claimed to put them in.
Much as I don't want to give away my ideas (for the record, I had a Kiln Fiend deck before it was cool!), but a deck like this really seems like it wants a playset of Assault Strobes. Much as I appreciate Jacob's deck building skills, I thing it's such an obvious inclusion that not even mentioning it is a mistake. If he thinks the potential for a third-turn 20-damage swing isn't worth finding four slots in the deck, I want to know why he feels that way.
Rules Nut Advisor
Much as I don't want to give away my ideas (for the record, I had a Kiln Fiend deck before it was cool!), but a deck like this really seems like it wants a playset of Assault Strobes. Much as I appreciate Jacob's deck building skills, I thing it's such an obvious inclusion that not even mentioning it is a mistake. If he thinks the potential for a third-turn 20-damage swing isn't worth finding four slots in the deck, I want to know why he feels that way.

Dude I totally have to agree with you! In his article he talks about getting in there twice with precursor golems and I thought he was talking about using assault strobes, but there wasn't any in the list! I am definitely going to try to change this deck around to include them!

Going to try this out at FNM this week :D 

"...becomes a Pyromancer Ascension deck after sideboarding? That's right! Your opponents will sideboard in a bunch of removal to deal with your Kiln Fiends and you'll get to turn into a creature-light machine designed to combo out."

Transformative sideboards = my favorite type of sideboard:-)

"...he said every match was like walking into a boxing ring with a machine gun."

Yo...that made me laugh:-)

One thing I gotta ask, because it makes me boggle a little bit: Treasure Hunt?  Am I misjudging its quality or something, because surely there must be a better two-mana non-permanant for the deck?  Into the Roil maybe?  Fling and - as previously mentioned - Assault Strobe would be hilarious, although less useful to the Ascension mutation of the deck.  Reverberate appeals to me, personally, but it's both rare and a little situational.

Oh by the way, some rules-type person clarify something for me really quick, because I'm still a little confused sometimes by the rules terminology mixup from the other year: a copied spell - such as from Reverberate or Assension - is "played", not "cast", and therefore doesn't trigger "Whenever you cast..." triggers like Kiln Fiend, right?  It's only "cast" when you play a non-land card from your hand at full price?
Yeah, cast not copied. Although that last sentence is a little muddy, the gist of the idea as far as this deck goes is true. Kiln Fiend doesn't trigger off of a copied Bolt, just like Kor Firewalker or Hive Mind for another example.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Despite the mistakes, I quite like this article.  It is certainly a budget deck that has plenty of opportunities for being tinkered with.
Kiln Fiend may not trigger off a copied Bolt, but it does trigger off the Reverberate that made the copy, so it's not all loss.

As for next week, my favorite "cute" combo so far with Mimic Vat (though I haven't thought all that much about its myriad possibilities, beyond that imprinting a Titan and getting two triggers each turn is awesome) is Precursor Golem plus a sacrifice outlet a la Bloodthrone Vampire to sac the original immediately.  Combine it with Irresistible Prey or Nighthaze or similar to draw a bunch of cards (making sure to sac the "original" in response to the spell, unless your opponent's tapped out or something) on the cheap.

The best part of all this is imagining your opponent having a handful of Lightning Bolts and still not being able to do a darned thing to stop it.

That said, you could probably do better just playing Mimic Vat in a deck with loads of removal alongside, I don't know, Myr Battlesphere as a backup plan, just in case your opponent doesn't play along and cast a Titan for you to mimic.
And here I thought I was being so innovative with my kiln fiend decks...

Ah well. The deck I was working on utilized kiln fiend but for a different purpose. Basically, the goal is Assault Strobe/Tainted Strike for 11 poison on turn 3 with a Kiln Fiend. It is surprisingly easy to get off. Low land count (Blackcleave Cliffs are essential), 4 Kiln Fiend, 4 Tainted Strike, 4 Assault Strobe, 4 Bolt, and some Plated Geopedes that you can pump through later if the initial combo doesn't work. The bolts get rid of their chump blockers as well as pump the Kiln Fiends, and it is fairly impressive just how often you can get a turn 3 kill.

I would love to combine distortion strike and tainted strike, but the mana fixing would be difficult.

Great deck though, I love the transformational sideboard.

One other comment I'd like to make is a round of applause for truly keeping this deck budget.

In the past few months I've been a little critical of some of the card choices, but this deck encapsulates everything I think the column is about; innovating while keeping a price tag that most of us can afford.

New Slogan for BoaB: Mind over Mythics. 
One thing I gotta ask, because it makes me boggle a little bit: Treasure Hunt?  Am I misjudging its quality or something, because surely there must be a better two-mana non-permanant for the deck?  Into the Roil maybe?  Fling and - as previously mentioned - Assault Strobe would be hilarious, although less useful to the Ascension mutation of the deck.  Reverberate appeals to me, personally, but it's both rare and a little situational.

Fling doesn't do that much in this deck either. I could be wrong (any Melvins around?) but I think if you Fling a Kiln Fiend, it doesn't get a power boost from the Fling because the sacrifice happens before you've actually played the Fling. You still get boosts from previous spells cast that turn, but in that case you might as well attack. And the Precursor Golem doesn't work well with Fling because the sacrifice isn't targeted.

I like how someone upthread wanted to combine Precursor Golem with nontargeted effects, like Bloodthrone Vampire. I've also been thinking about combining it with Glint Hawk. That, for example, would bounce the original golem but leave the two tokens out, so when I played the original again I'd have a total of four tokens. Then if I somehow play the Glint Hawk as an instant, like with Leyline of Anticipation, I think removal aimed at the main golem could probably fizzle before it's copied... well, it wouldn't be competitive in Constructed, and for that trick a Neurok Replica would work just as well without needing a Leyline, but it would be fun.
I have to say, this was unambiguously my favorite deck that you have presented on BoaB thus far.  I think that you are spot on about Kiln Fiend.  This format is not removal rich and the Fiend can get in for quite a bit.  In any traditional red deck, even one that is not designed to abuse it, it can get in for 4 or 7 most turns.  In a deck like this, it is obviously much better.  However, this deck is not particularly original.  Where originality comes in is with the Trinket Mage package and with the SB.  I don't think many people are using Trinket Mage in Kiln Fiend decks but I think that you are correct in doing so.  Trinket Mage for Brittle Efigy is very powerful and with this engine, you will have the advantage in the mirror.  You will have removal, some of which you can tutor for, while your opponent will not.  I also think Precursor Golem with Distortion Strike is an excellent addition.  I love transformative SBs.  So all in all this deck is awesome!

P.S. I know Venser is not budget, but is there a deck around that uses it with Precursor Golem?  Two free 3/3 tokens every turn, along with the ability to make them unblockable seems pretty win to me. 
Oh by the way, some rules-type person clarify something for me really quick, because I'm still a little confused sometimes by the rules terminology mixup from the other year: a copied spell - such as from Reverberate or Assension - is "played", not "cast", and therefore doesn't trigger "Whenever you cast..." triggers like Kiln Fiend, right?  It's only "cast" when you play a non-land card from your hand at full price?

"Play" and "cast" mean the same thing.  The distinction you're thinking about is between "cast/play" and "copy".  A copy of a spell is not played/cast, so it doesn't trigger Kiln Fiend.

Also, you can cast a spell without casting it from your hand, and you can cast a spell without paying full price.  Staggershock, for example; with Rebound, you cast it from exile for free.
Unfortunately, if someone casts a spell at a Precursor, there's no way to stop it from copying. Sacrificing it or bouncing it in response won't stop the ability, which already triggered and will make copies when it resolves.

As for Fling in a Kiln Fiend deck, I tried it and was not impressed at all. Almost any time I drew it, I'd rather have a cheap burn spell to hit a blocker or burn face while making the Fiend attack for more damage. You were correct in thinking it doesn't buff the Kiln Fiend before it dies, so all it does is double your damage for a turn (something Assault Strobe does for less mana while adding another 3 power). There are situations where it can win you the game, but more often than not it will be a dead draw.
Rules Nut Advisor
I'm thinkin instead of JVL's Pyromancer Ascension deck, useing Mike Flores' mill version.

it might look something like this:

4x Kiln Fiend
4x Precursor Golem
3x Tinket Mage
4x Distortion Strike
1x Call to mind
4x Into the Roil
4x Mana Leak
4x Preordain
3x See Beyond
3x Treasure Hunt
4x Lightning Bolt

8x Islands
6x Mountains
4x Scalding Tarn
4x Halimar Depths

Sideboard
2x Ravenous Trap
4x Archive Trap
4x Trapmaker's Snare
4x Pyromancer Ascension
1x See Beyond

This deck would be really fun at my FNM

Edit: fixed mistakes

Fling doesn't do that much in this deck either. I could be wrong (any Melvins around?) but I think if you Fling a Kiln Fiend, it doesn't get a power boost from the Fling because the sacrifice happens before you've actually played the Fling. You still get boosts from previous spells cast that turn, but in that case you might as well attack. And the Precursor Golem doesn't work well with Fling because the sacrifice isn't targeted.

I like how someone upthread wanted to combine Precursor Golem with nontargeted effects, like Bloodthrone Vampire. I've also been thinking about combining it with Glint Hawk. That, for example, would bounce the original golem but leave the two tokens out, so when I played the original again I'd have a total of four tokens. Then if I somehow play the Glint Hawk as an instant, like with Leyline of Anticipation, I think removal aimed at the main golem could probably fizzle before it's copied... well, it wouldn't be competitive in Constructed, and for that trick a Neurok Replica would work just as well without needing a Leyline, but it would be fun.

Correct, Fling does not pump the power of the Kiln Fiend you sacrifice for it. the cost is paid before the spell is "played".

The purpose of the Bloodthrone Vampire with the Precursor Golem was to sacrifice the original but leave the tokens. Because the copy-to-all-the-golems ability is on the Precursor itself and not the copies, this stops your opponents from being able to kill them all with a single spell.

But, as someone else already commented, doing this in response to a spell doesn't cut it, the trigger will already be on the stack and it will copy for each golem in play. You have to sacrifice it (or Glint Hawk it) before they cast a spell.

As for the deck, I'll have it built within the next 5 minutes. Pure epic. I love Pyromancer Ascension, and having a nice combo/aggro transformative sideboard just made my day.
I'm thinkin instead of JVL's Pyromancer Ascension deck, useing Mike Flores' mill version.

it might look something like this:
4x Kiln Fiend
4x Precursor Golem
3x Tinket Mage
4x Distortion Strike
1x Call to mind
4x Into the Roil
4x Mana Leak
4x Preordain
3x Sea Beyond
4x Trapmaker Snare
3x Treasure Hunt
4x Lightning Bolt

8x Islands
6x Mountains
4x Scalding Tarn
4x Halimar Depths

Sideboard
2x Ravenous Trap
4x Archive Trap
4x Trapmaker's Snare
4x Pyromancer Ascension
1x Sea Beyond

This deck would be really fun at my FNM

1) I don't see how it mills aside from boarding in ONLY Archive Trap.
2) You have Trapmaker's Snare listed twice.
3) It's SEE beyond. Not that hard to figure out, unless English isn't your primary language.
4) In his article, when he said how to SB...he said -4 Distortion strike and the deck only has 3. Lolwat? 
1,000 Posts - February 4th, 2009 2,000 Posts - April 14th, 2009 3,000 Posts - June 21st, 2009 4,000 Posts - August 27, 2009 You Make the Flavor! I speak my mind and I'm blunt. Don't take offense to my posts if they seem rude :/ my ref list I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

1) I don't see how it mills aside from boarding in ONLY Archive Trap.
2) You have Trapmaker's Snare listed twice.
3) It's SEE beyond. Not that hard to figure out, unless English isn't your primary language.
4) In his article, when he said how to SB...he said -4 Distortion strike and the deck only has 3. Lolwat? 

1. magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=91... the deck is quite good with Pyromancer Ascension.  I'm not going to take it to any PTQs but, for FNM it should do the job.
2. Fixed
3. Spelling mistake really?  Like you didn't know what I was talking about. Fixed!
I've been trying to figure out what to do with the mistakes in the article, and decided that the best way to run the deck is to take out the chalice, add the 4th Distortion strike, and SB out everything recommended, except 1 Treasure Hunt in place of the chalice.  Then I took out the extra Treasure Hunt in the SB and added a third Call to Mind.  To the decks would look like this:

Pre SB
4x Kiln Fiend
4x Precursor Golem
3x Trinket Mage

2x Brittle Effigy
1x Chimeric Mass

4x Distortion Strike
3x Foresee
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Preordain
4x Staggershock
3x Treasure Hunt

3x Evolving Wilds
10x Island
8x Mountain
3x Terramorphic Expanse

Post SB
4x Kiln Fiend

4x Pyromancer Assension
3x Foresee
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Preordain
4x Staggershock
2x Treasure Hunt
4x See Beyond
4x Burst Lightning
3x Call to Mind

3x Evolving Wilds
10x Island
8x Mountain
3x Terramorphic Expanse

Let me know what you think!
I agree with the comment that a Kiln Fiend deck is cool, cheap and good right now.   Good job on the article, no playthroughs, but I guess the general descriptions are enough. 

One thing that bugs me about it in general is: why no Chandra's Spitfire deck? It's gotten insane support in the form of Arc Trail, and neatly combines with the likes of Staggershock.  Actually, Arc Trail on Precursor Golem (taking the one damage, of course)...would that copy the whole thing with chosen values, or would they all take three? Because six damage for two seems a little...neato. 
Then again, the idea is probably stronger in New Extended, with Cinder Pyromancer and that Retrace ping spell... Noggleboon hybrid, anyone?

Anyways, back to the deck.  Arc Trail definitely deserves a look, and perhaps Quest for Inner Flame as a sideboard option (with both Trail and Staggershock, it's easy to charge, since the two damges are dealt separately) in case the opponents do come at you with anti-enchantment spells. 

As for the Mimic Vat deck...obviously you'd want sacrifice outlets, something that triggers for in-play, attacking or leaves-play...so many options.   My vote is the so-far untreated fad: poison.  We've had Myr, we've had a deck with an obsure Golem, now we can go around copying those Ichor Rats and Skinrenders.  Going with a token generator also lets you gloss over too-bovious Hand of the Praetors (spell trigger), while Corpse Cur and Proliferators can help you race. 

Stuff that might fit the bill: Ichor Rats, Plague Stinger, Skinrender, Corpse Cur, Bloodthrone Vampire (to get them in the Vat when you need them), probably Contagion Clasp, but then there's got to be more things you can Proliferate for.  Triskelion would be downright hilarious.  Ping myself, 'bolt every turn and hack for one.  Putrefax is another obvious choice, but how often would you need to bring that one back?  Just some ideas. 
. . .
One thing that bugs me about it in general is: why no Chandra's Spitfire deck? It's gotten insane support in the form of Arc Trail, and neatly combines with the likes of Staggershock.  Actually, Arc Trail on Precursor Golem (taking the one damage, of course)...would that copy the whole thing with chosen values, or would they all take three? Because six damage for two seems a little...neato.

The Golem only copies spells with a single target.  The result is that Arc Trail doesn't get extra copies.

I've built a Green Precursor Golem deck and the big part of winning is just plain out drawing your opponent.  Since the extra cards drawn typically result in additional spells, you may find this a suitable route to a rout.

Blue offers the following card draws for use with Golem (each give you a card draw of 3 cards if you've got a single 3x Golem out):
Twisted Image[c] which just draws cards.  It is also nice for killing walls.  [c]Fleeting Distraction which can sometimes save you other creatures.
Twitch which can untap them after an attack, get you three cards and give you other answers.
and in a pinch you could go with
Into the Roil as long as it is kicked.

These are in addition to your distortion strike.

That's just the blue stuff that helps draw cards into your burn. 

I am wondering why Treasure Hunt makes it over Spreading Seas? Treasure hunt does not fit this deck very well with all the deck Scrying/stacking effects, plus a low amount of lands (comparatively). Whereas Spreading Seas is the best tempo card in the format and cantrips, which fits the theme stronger (after some Scry/stack affect). The only thing I can see is that it pumps the Kiln Fiend, but I think the tempo-control aspect of Seas is just stronger all around.
I am wondering why Treasure Hunt makes it over Spreading Seas? Treasure hunt does not fit this deck very well with all the deck Scrying/stacking effects, plus a low amount of lands (comparatively). Whereas Spreading Seas is the best tempo card in the format and cantrips, which fits the theme stronger (after some Scry/stack affect). The only thing I can see is that it pumps the Kiln Fiend, but I think the tempo-control aspect of Seas is just stronger all around.

Treasure hunt just has more synergy, both with the Kiln fiend as well as the Pyromancer half of the deck. Spreading Seas is good, but most of the decks it was strong against rotated out or fell from being strong parts of the metagame. Ramp and Control are signifiganctly more resistant than either jund or naya and against those decks we can't always afford casting a spell that doesn't work towards killing the opponent quickly, especially with against ramp.

That makes sense, but I still think Treasure Hunt is out of place. 24 lands is going to make it more likely that you are just going to pay 2 mana to draw a card - unless you scry first, but then it seems like yer wasting yer Scry because to make it effective you essentially up the casting cost to 3 (assuming Preordain is the pre-req spell). Treasure Hunt is an ok mid-range card, but I think this deck needs more solid cards.

That being said, I think this slot would be better set for some kind of control aspect like Mana Leaks. The deck, pre- or post-board has no way of protecting its key cards. I think dropping the 3 Treasure Hunts and maybe moving the solo chalice out of the deck for 4 Mana Leak would be more solid.

Or if the opponents removal can be played around, we could move the See Beyonds to main and open some slots up in the board. Coupling See Beyond with Scry effects can be really good if a stack goes bad (stacking it one way and opponent doing something unexpected, or moving something to the bottom that ends up being needed, etc).

I just think there are stronger options for this slot than TH is bottom line.

Awesome deck, i love this archtype.  It actually reminds me of an old deck that I used to play (I still have it too...somewhere in the garage...back when I played on paper)  that feature Wee Dragonauts, Double Strike, and Gelectrode.  There was also an Izzet, the Firemind and Curiosity combo at one point.....gotta love it.   The Kiln Fiend/Distortion Strike seems just the same, no?  

One thing that really helped my old deck win, was that I chose to use mostly cantrip instants/sorceries to trigger the Dragonauts and the Gelectrode while maintaining card advantage.  I expect that Preordain and Foresee will accomplish the same.  

I apologize for not remembering how to link the card images so you can hover and see the card names...I haven't posted in a while and forgot :-(  If someone woudl kindly remind me?
Jacob wrote: "When you cast Distortion Strike on a copy of Precursor Golem and your opponent does not have a removal spell then you're getting in there for a total of 24 damage."

Is that 24 damage in one turn? Can anyone please explain me how that would be possible? The way I see it, your 3/3 golems become 4/3 golems, and you can attack with them for 12 damage. Only when you rebound Distortion Strike at the beginning of your next upkeep, you get another chance at 12 damage.
Jacob wrote: "When you cast Distortion Strike on a copy of Precursor Golem and your opponent does not have a removal spell then you're getting in there for a total of 24 damage."

Is that 24 damage in one turn? Can anyone please explain me how that would be possible? The way I see it, your 3/3 golems become 4/3 golems, and you can attack with them for 12 damage. Only when you rebound Distortion Strike at the beginning of your next upkeep, you get another chance at 12 damage.

It is two turns of attacking.  When the strike gets cast a second time, your golems will go through.

On topic, I like the idea of using SLEEP instead of the treasure hunt.  Sleep tends to allow your creatures a clear path through to the defending players PW's and life total. 
I find this deck to be quite good!

The only thing I didnt agree with was the use of the chalice. The highest mana-cost in this deck is 5 (Precursor Golem) which I havent had any problems getting out. So I took that out in place of a 4th Distortion Strike.

In regaurds to Treasure Hunt, in the Kiln Fiend deck it doesnt seem to serve much purpose as to draw for 2. However, once you sideboard in the Pyromancer Ascension, it seems to shine a lot more. With a couple charged Ascensions and one TH in the greaveyard, you'll have no problem re-stocking your hand.
I find this deck to be quite good!

The only thing I didnt agree with was the use of the chalice. The highest mana-cost in this deck is 5 (Precursor Golem) which I havent had any problems getting out. So I took that out in place of a 4th Distortion Strike.

In regaurds to Treasure Hunt, in the Kiln Fiend deck it doesnt seem to serve much purpose as to draw for 2. However, once you sideboard in the Pyromancer Ascension, it seems to shine a lot more. With a couple charged Ascensions and one TH in the greaveyard, you'll have no problem re-stocking your hand.

I forgot to mention, TH does help to draw lands needed for the Golems, making the Chalice seem kinda pointles.
Huh, I've seen a couple of the "fixes" in this thread, and they are quite interesting but none of them use Assault Strobe. Does the card just not fit into the deck, or are just 4x Distortion Strikes enough?
I've been testing Assault Strobe in my own Kiln Fiend deck, and I like it a lot. However, this deck (especially with transformative sideboard) is enough different that it may not play as well. I'd still give the deck a try with Strobes, but it may not fit in as well to this version of the decklist.
Rules Nut Advisor
I finally tracked down my playset of Kiln Fiends and threw this deck together, it is as fun as it looks like it is. Which means that we are all blinded from overexposure to pure awesomeness.

A thought about the transformative sideboard: What if we went the other way? Starting out as a Pyromancer deck, if they have any their creature removal is blanked. Post-sideboard they take out all their removal, bam Kiln Fiends and Precursor Golems. Especially the Golems, without their removal

Are standard decks more likely to have their removal maindecked or sideboarded? I guess that becomes the real key for which direction of transformation works better.
I finally tracked down my playset of Kiln Fiends and threw this deck together, it is as fun as it looks like it is. Which means that we are all blinded from overexposure to pure awesomeness.

A thought about the transformative sideboard: What if we went the other way? Starting out as a Pyromancer deck, if they have any their creature removal is blanked. Post-sideboard they take out all their removal, bam Kiln Fiends and Precursor Golems. Especially the Golems, without their removal

Are standard decks more likely to have their removal maindecked or sideboarded? I guess that becomes the real key for which direction of transformation works better.

The problem with the opposite transformation is twofold - one, the Pyromancer's Ascension list is non-optimal, so, not only will it not perform as well in the first game, you lose the surprise as it becomes obvious that it is prepared to switch into another deck.

Perhaps you could look at a tuned Pyro list, although I think the strength of the sideboard plan depends a fair amount on the surprise value - I'm just not sure that a Pyro deck, other than a similar version to Flores's, will have that good of a Game 1, whereas, in general, beatdown decks of this style have strong Game 1s, but often lose to sideboard plans. And, it would be very difficult, I think, to sideboard Flores's deck into a Kiln Fiend deck.

I may be talking out of my ass, though, so anyone can feel free to dispute points that I have made.
I built this deck today and I am loving assault strobe in it.  if I can play an assault strobe, a distortion strike, and any burn spell on turn 3 with a kiln fiend out I am guaranteed lethal damage unless my opponent can a. kill the fiend or b. counter something.  But chances are enough things are going to get through that I can at least get in for 10+ as long as the kiln fiend doesn't die.  It does seem I'm very vunerable to removal (mono black destroyed me).

Also a good strategy against decks playing counters was to use assault strob first, making kiln fiend a 4/2 with double strike is sure to draw the counter, and if it resolves all the better, but the big one to get through is distortion strike.

My question is the text on kiln fiend says "when you cast" so does kiln fiend get the +3/+0 even if the spell doesn't resolve?
My question is the text on kiln fiend says "when you cast" so does kiln fiend get the +3/+0 even if the spell doesn't resolve?

You, sir, are correct. Both the fiend's and Pyromancer Ascension's abilities trigger when you *cast* the spell. It doesn't matter what happens after that. That applies for the copying of spells, as well.

I threw this deck together, as well, since I had most of the cards from drafts anyway and I have to say I've been very surprised. The one change I made to the deck was I put See Beyond main instead of Treasure Hunt and I actually got rid of the Treasure Hunt for Forked Bolts. I found that most of the time I would cast Treasure Hunt and just draw a single card. I also noticed that the deck had problems with consistency until you hit 4 mana (to start using Foresee). See Beyond fixes both of those problems in the mainboard. I also dropped a couple Myr Battlespheres in the sideboard for fun against RDW... mwahahaha!

I really must say that I've been impressed with Precursor Golem! Lightning Bolt and Doom Blade are really the only regularly played removal that just blanks him. Pacifism & Journey to Nowhere can only snag one of them and no one seems to be playing condemn... Though I think netting 9 life off a condemn would really put the other player in a bad place. I'm waiting to see what other black removal comes into play. Honestly, though, a heavy black deck seems like it would be a good matchup against the pyro deck anyway.

I'm thinking of removing the Chalice, which really doesn't do much when I draw it. Normally I just wish he was another instant or sorcery. There have been a couple games where he ramped me into a t3 Foresee, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Also, when I have enough mana to cast a Trinket Mage I never need the Chalice since I'm already at 3 and I have enough card draw/fixing to get land. I think it will have to become a 4th See Beyond here pretty soon...

Here's the list I've been playing:

I also felt that Treasure hunt was mostly unneeded in the MB.  I replaced it with 1 more Distortion Strike and 2 See Beyonds.  I haven't had much chance to test it yet, but I think it should be fine. 

As for Assault Strobe, I agree that it could be brutal in this deck.  However, I just don't think it fits. The issue with it is two-fold.  Firstly, there is no room in the deck.   We have room for 15 cards that need to be removed for transforming into a Pyro deck, adding Assault Strobe just adds to that number.  The second issue I have is that it just isn't as good as distortion strike.  Yeah, it combos well with Distortion strike, but 2 distortion strikes or 1 strike & 1 strobe both kill the opponent. 

Also, I believe that the chalice is in for the chimeric mass.  Play the chalice with a bunch of counters, play the mass for a large amount.  Not great, and would probably just be better by being another Mass or an Effigy.

cers ascensioni know tis deck is kind of old new by now, but i recently gave it another try after giving it up a few weeks after the article was published. and i think the deck still has some merit in a more removal heavy standard. while i enjoy a good transformative sideboard i'm not so sure the deck really needs it, you can allways pack a few supprizes, but i think that a strong game 1 and sideboard tech that protects you from their game 2 answers is a perfectly viable strategy with this deck. here is the list i have been playing lately:

7x island

11x mountain

4x scalding tarn

4x kiln fiend

4x chandra's spitfire

4x precursor golem

3x distortion strike

4x lightning bolt

4x burst lightning

4x preordain

4x staggershock

3x assault strobe

1x comet storm

3x Foresee

Sideboard

4x pyromancers ascension

3x turn aside

3x spell pierce

2x comet storm

3x forked bolt

i chose to go rather burn heavy with only 6 cards meant to really abuse kiln fiend and the golem, which i have found fairly effective, much like pyromancers ascension pre-rotation, the deck can try to combo out quickly, but if it fizzles you re more than capable of playing the controll game until you get another chance to grab the win out of no where (i was an avid pyroancers ascension player pre-rotation, well before it got the nationals spotlight).

game 2 i sometimes wont even board (vs mono green or any other removal-light deck)  and i have pulled off turn 3 kills more often than the term luck sack can account for.

i leave you with this image to say what i dont have time to:

s175.photobucket.com/albums/w124/yougotk...

Sign In to post comments