October 2010 Compendium update - Bugs and missing information

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
The compendium has ben update to a newer, prettier, and simpler style.

53a5a385806e5344f9735c0787bfa3b5.jpg?v=257400

Use this thread to identify missing elements or bugs that you find.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
This thread had a suggestion for the flow of the form.

upon opening a form of this sort, one would naturally click the dropdown box that's first, change it to "item" then type in "gouge" to see it.  However, after typing in a word, the form defaults the dropdown to the "highest # of hits" section.  The order of these two fields should be changed, as it's counter-intuitive.

AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I can't seem to find any of the paragon paths from Psionic Power.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
The Compendium has the feats and paragon paths for Dark Sun themes, but not the Themes or Theme powers.
I can't seem to find any of the paragon paths from Psionic Power.

I see nothing from Psionic Power at all. Was it on the list of things being added to the Compendium? I can't remember.

Edit: Yes, it's on the list. Looks like they, uh, forgot somethin'.
looking at the Mythic Slayer Paragon Path the 12th level utility powers are listed twice

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

The entry for the Pyreen Epic Destiny, from the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, doesn't show any prerequisites. It should be for "21st level, any primal class or primal theme."
Psion powers from psionic power are missing (at least Force Shard and Static Mote). Maybe more from other classes are missing too?

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

I have poked WotC and pointed them at this convenient thread.
Psion powers from psionic power are missing (at least Force Shard and Static Mote). Maybe more from other classes are missing too?

I'm unable to find anything sourced from Psionic Power, so I think that material didn't make it into the update (they list it as a potential source, but if you try anything from it - well, okay, I tried feats, powers, and...items? or something - it comes up with no hits). It's possible they got stuff assigned to the wrong source or something, or they just forgot to include it.
fallen needle's movement technique (dragon 389) went back to the pre-compiled "immediate interrupt" instead of the compiled minor action.
Probably not the sort of "missing elements" that you were looking for, but...

The one thing that would make the Compendium 100x more useful for me would be if, when you search for Feats, one of the columns listed the requirements for them. So many feats are race or build specific that it can be a real hassle to click through each one hunting for ones you qualify for. A single column listing basic requirements would save tons of time.

Also, one existing 'bug/missing element' would be inconsistency in searching for Artifacts. Some are listed as Category: Artifact, others come up if you search for the word Artifact, and many others just don't come up at all, though you can hunt them down individually or find other ways to search for them.

That said, I do like the speed of the new design, and I like seeing backgrounds, companions, etc! Getting adjusted to the search form may take a bit of getting used to (and others have some decent suggestions regarding that), but I suspect after enough use, it will feel just as natural as before.
Trying it on my droid X now. 

When I first load it, the offset makes it so that I only see
geons
agons
endium

from the top left image.

I also have a blank black bar at the right side of the screen.

Strangely, once i scrolled down to the bottom of the page, it re-aligned itself properly.

Searching shows no results at all in the Search Results grid, although it shows the count of results in the 'Search' drop down.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Intuitive Strike is still missing its correction to the latest MP 2 update:

wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdateMP2.pdf
D&D Outsider since Nov 18th 2010, if you wonder about the little red dragon, this one is dedicated to the great VT community.
Also, in addition to the lack of Psionic Power at all, there's no themes in here.  The Theme-required PPs are present, but not the themes themselves.
I searched for the new skill DC table, and the new monster knowledge skill check rules.  Were the new rules from the Rules Compendium not included in the Compendium update?
This is an old bug: Ramparts of Light (cleric 22 utility) is still listed as a daily power, but it is an encounter power.  I reported that mistake to them over a month ago and it was not fixed and I am betting is still wrong in the character builder as well.
The new essentials class builds are listed as classes. Then their associated powers are all out of order implying someone could get say the "devoted knight" class feature at 1st level. Dont have book in front of me, so I cant say when you actually get it but I know its not at 1st level.

Not sure if this is an error, but non of the pre-MM3 monsters have updated stat blocks (ie power breakdown by type).

plus everything mentioned previously in this thread. 
The three new familiars in the CB are in their old (pre-nerf) format. Items in the CB are uniformly "uncommon", except for normal "magic" items while no item in the compendium has any rarity linked to its entry.
Mudbunny, can you start/pin a thread for the Character Builder update. I noticed that some classes wont let you choose an additional language when selected and for others like half-elf, some of the main languages are available.
Mudbunny, can you start/pin a thread for the Character Builder update. I noticed that some classes wont let you choose an additional language when selected and for others like half-elf, some of the main languages are available.

Soemoe has started one here
I submitted the following feedback for the Compendium just now:

1. When I search in the newly updated Compendium I am finding it suppresses some content in favor of other content. This is not desirable.

Examples:
1) I search for "Lotulis" (Dark Sun weapon). It does not show the weapon, instead showing me two feats.
3) I search for "Escaped Slave" (a Dark Sun theme). I see feats, but not the theme.

Sometimes there is more information, but it is hidden in the Search drop-down. It makes it hard to see what options exist. Also, since I specifically searched with "All Categories", shouldn't it display all categories? I would prefer that it show all content and then I can filter it with the drop-down or with the filters section.

2. Double-Weapon handled differently
The Lotulis weapon is handled as one entry for each head of the weapon. This is different than what I see if I search for Double Axe, where I also get an entry for the entire weapon. I prefer being able to see one entry as an option.

3. Dark Sun themes not in Compendium
If I search for a theme I do not see the core theme information nor the powers. Only the feats and paragon path are present. Everything should be included and there should be a search category for Themes.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

On the plus side, the bug I always ran into whenever I searched for traps seems to have been resolved.
When I search in the newly updated Compendium I am finding it suppresses some content in favor of other content.

Examples: 1) I search for "Lotulis" (Dark Sun weapon). It does not show the weapon, instead showing me two feats.

This is actually how it has always worked. It tends to default to whatever category has the most results for your search. The difference is that, previously, you could see readily displayed each category and how many results were available for that, whereas now that is hidden in the Search box.

So it is working exactly the same as before, but the display is now different... and, I agree, that is probably an issue.

Like before, there is no display that will show multiple results from different categories. When you search for all categories, it just means it will search them all and return whatever category has the most results. If you choose a specific category, it will automatically return that category with whatever results are found.

The one weird 'search result' I've always run into is that, if I search for the power for a specific class (like, say... "Boiling Cloud")... it defaults to returning the class that has that power (in this case, the Warden.) I don't know why this does it, and it just requires an extra click on my part to get to the power (or selecting the power category first)... but it still seems odd and potentially annoying.
We're monitoring this thread and looking at the issues reported. Thanks for checking it out!
Paolo Marcucci "Building better worlds"
The power listing is horrid, and bugged.

For example, essentials mage, the powers are listed as:

1,10,11,12,13,...,2,22,23,24,..., 3 and so on

You cannot sort via numbers when they are stored as varchar (or converted to text) before display.

"Virtus junxit, mors non separabit."  

As I wrote here, you have disabled tab between all fields on Mac OS X browsers. Would love for you to un-block it.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
Will we ever be able to search using truncated words so the less-than-average-spellers like me can find things?

Surely, if I type "spirit" into the power search field trying to find Encaging Sprits, I should hope it would be one of the 271 powers returned.

Maybe there can be a "match exact name" check box or something?
TONGUEWORM LEVEL 3 ITEM GONE NOT JUST FROM COMPENDIUM BUT ALSO CB
Over 80 mounts are still missing. In case you forget, again. ;)
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.

The one weird 'search result' I've always run into is that, if I search for the power for a specific class (like, say... "Boiling Cloud")... it defaults to returning the class that has that power (in this case, the Warden.) I don't know why this does it, and it just requires an extra click on my part to get to the power (or selecting the power category first)... but it still seems odd and potentially annoying.

It always did that for me - was I alone in that before? 
Searching for Thri-Kreen doesn't work.  "Thri" works, and "Thri Kreen" works, but the hyphen breaks the search.
What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645
Will we ever be able to search using truncated words so the less-than-average-spellers like me can find things?

Surely, if I type "spirit" into the power search field trying to find Encaging Sprits, I should hope it would be one of the 271 powers returned.

Maybe there can be a "match exact name" check box or something?

The search field does support '*' as a wild match for any string of characters at the end of a given word. So you can type 'spirit*' and find 'spirits'. You can also put 'encag* spirit*' and find 'encaging spirits'

It always did that for me - was I alone in that before? 

Just to clarify, it did this before for me to. I wasn't mentioning it as new behavior, just as an existing 'bug' of sorts that was still there, and potentially more problematic with the categories now being confined to the search box.
Psionic Power should show up in search results now.
Paolo Marcucci "Building better worlds"
The Compendium has the feats and paragon paths for Dark Sun themes, but not the Themes or Theme powers.

Yes, this is a major problem for me. I had planned to push ahead with my Dark Sun campaign even though Character Builder does not support DS yet. My planned work around was going to be copy-pasting theme info out of the Compendium into MS Word for now, so my PCs could easily append that onto their printed character sheet. Arrgh.
The Combat Challenge power is missing from the Fighter class entry and the list of powers. Arcane Defiling is missing from the list of powers. Wild Talents are missing.
There's an offset on the iPad. The left few letters are chopped off. Seems like it would fit nicely (like the old one) but it's shifted to the left.
The power listing is horrid, and bugged.

For example, essentials mage, the powers are listed as:

1,10,11,12,13,...,2,22,23,24,..., 3 and so on

You cannot sort via numbers when they are stored as varchar (or converted to text) before display.

True true, but it's been obvious for some time now that WOTC does not have a DBA.  As evidence of that, I point to the disaster they had when they split the Convention play from Home game organized formats for DCI/RPGA reporting.  What I could have done in probably 10-15 minutes of work, they screwed up so bad I've always expected them to have no clue how databases work.
First of all, let me say thanks for revising the compendium. I like this new one much better. Nice and clean looking, and functional too!

Now....   Where's the diseases?  Seriously guys, it's been three years ( 3 YEARS ) since the launch of fourth ed. and there's still no list of diseases anywhere to be found. This is making me CrAzY. How many diseases can there possibly be in the game? 30? 40? no more than 50.  How hard is it to get some intern to type that stuff into the compendium? It'd be 2 days work for one person, max, including long coffee breaks and extended trips to the washroom. It's not as if you've got to rewrite some huge amount of code. Just add one extra feature to your new drop down menu, label it "disease" and link it to the new info your peon has typed in. Ta da! Now diseases are in the compendium.

Please can you do this. Please. It's a little thing that would make many people happy.
Is it too late to vote that the Compendium be turned into a Wiki?

Cool 
Sign In to post comments