New Compendium Look

114 posts / 0 new
Last post
The new compendium layout is much more friendly to adding new content and not relying on items being shoehorned into the existing heading, which is a good thing.

What is bad, however, is the form flow.  Upon opening a form of this sort, one would naturally click the dropdown box that's first, change it to "item" then type in "gouge" to see it.  However, after typing in a word, the form defaults the dropdown to the "highest # of hits" section.  The order of these two fields should be changed, as it's counter-intuitive.
I love the speed of this thing.. and wow.. I can actually lookup backgrounds.. awsome.
It's nice. It's styled after the Essentials product line, from the look of it - quite professional.
I like it in general, and I'm glad to see Background, Familiars, and Deities added. However, I wish they had targeted a 1024 x 768 resolution. I'm running at 1280 x 800 and I have to scroll vertically when the screen is maximized, which is kind of a pain because then there are multiple scroll bars. (The list of search results, and the main page.)
Please tell me the "new web based tool" was NOT just a reskin of the compendium...
Please tell me the "new web based tool" was NOT just a reskin of the compendium...

Nah - the compendium isn't new*, and what's more, what they were working on is possibly just a web-based framework for new tools, rather than a specific web-based tool itself.

* by which I mean, I don't think anyone here, no matter how strong their love for WotC, will buy that line.
The "Traps" filter is working too now and it is much faster.
I like it in general, and I'm glad to see Background, Familiars, and Deities added. However, I wish they had targeted a 1024 x 768 resolution. I'm running at 1280 x 800 and I have to scroll vertically when the screen is maximized, which is kind of a pain because then there are multiple scroll bars. (The list of search results, and the main page.)

Same here.  I'm on 1024x768 and its a pain to scroll.
What really concerns me is that this suggests that we won't have a lot of luck trying to use this on a smart phone. I hope this isn't the basis for the web-tools, if thats the case.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Same here.  I'm on 1024x768 and its a pain to scroll.
What really concerns me is that this suggests that we won't have a lot of luck trying to use this on a smart phone. I hope this isn't the basis for the web-tools, if thats the case.

On ENWorld, there are people using an Android phone to brows the Compendium.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Trying it on my droid X now. 

When I first load it, the offset makes it so that I only see
geons
agons
endium

from the top left image.

I also have a blank black bar at the right side of the screen.

Strangely, once i scrolled down to the bottom of the page, it re-aligned itself properly.

Searching shows no results at all in the Search Results grid, although it shows the count of results in the 'Search' drop down.

Edit: Moved to bug thread.

So much unused space on my 1920x1080 monitor.  No need for it to be wider than it is, but they should really make better use of the verticle space on a large monitor, while eliminating the double scroll bar on a smaller screen.  Think of all the poor people on phones, tablets and netbooks.
A minor bug:  When switching from a category with filter options to 'All Categories' the current filter set isn't cleared.  Should hardly ever happen, but FYI.

As for the resolution issue... I agree, but the solution should be make is scalable rather than fixed width.  Not sure what tech level you're targetting, but I've seen some stuff using (I think) media descriptiors/selectors in CSS to cope with different resolution sizes.  It might take some super cooled brain thinking, but I think it would be well worthwhile.

One GUI gripe... While the combo box of categories takes up very little space, I'm not sure its a GUI winner in terms of getting to what you want quickly.  Admittedly lots of buttons can be cumbersome, but again from the perspective of non-mouse driven interfaces, combo boxes aren't great, and even on smaller devices they can be tricksy to deal with!  Only a suggestion.

Great work, and delightfully unexpected.
Not sure if you know this, but if you tab to the drop-box, you can arrow through the choices, or you can type the first letter to get to a category quickly.  Hitting 'C' three times takes you to Classes, Companions & Familiars, and finally Creatures. Hope that helps things go faster.

This is a nice surprise! A tiny bit of faith has been restored with this. 
Not sure if you know this, but if you tab to the drop-box, you can arrow through the choices, or you can type the first letter to get to a category quickly.  Hitting 'C' three times takes you to Classes, Companions & Familiars, and finally Creatures. Hope that helps things go faster.

No, I'm aware (but thanks for pointing out for those who don't).  I was droppinging into my day job and pointing out developer issues.  One of the biggest things I constantly have to push on my people is that yes, you can use any GUI most efficiently using mouse and keyboard combos, you should try and avoid pushing users in one direction or the other.  As such, any GUI ought to work at either extreme - mouse only for the 'hunt and peck' users, and keyboard only for the geek trying to use it in lynx (text only *nix browser).  Different users are comfortable with different things, so you try and challenege them as little as possible.  Ideally it should accept their way of working, and thus they think its intuitive when all you've really done is cover your bases!

The perfect ideal isn't often achievable, but we try!

Depends on your operating system of choice. The default setting for Mac OS X is to only tab between text fields (Chrome, Firefox and Safari honors this). This can be manually overridden by the system preferences or by using alt-tab but this seems to have been actively disabled by the developers on the compendium for some reason… *headscratch* Cry

Oh, and the new look and UI responsiveness is nice. Good work on that!
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
So the Droid browser doesn't search.
You can input the search term and hit search but nothing happens.
Opera Mini does work however, though it isn't formatted correctly.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
Can we get the old compendium back please?  This is terrible looking and not at all intuitive to use.

My only reason for keeping a DDI account is the compedium, I'm not interested in keeping it in place if this is a permanent change.
We're looking into all the reported issues, but we do not have any plan to bring back the old Compendium.
Paolo Marcucci "Building better worlds"
but we do not have any plan to bring back the old Compendium.

Fair enough.  I'll go cancel my account then.
I enjoy the new compendium.
I had hopes that the new Compendium would be more usable on iPhone, but so far it is actually a regression. Compendium seems to be making some absolute font size assumptions that Mobile Safari does not provide, and as a result, on a 20 items per page view, only 17 of the items are actually drawn:

The three bottommost items are drawn out of frame and are unviewable; jumping to the next page starts with item 21.

I appreciate that mobile devices have obviously been considered, as Mobile Safari displays an items-per-page view with next / previous controls rather than a scrollview in a scrollview, but there are still some bugs to be sorted out.

(As an related note, it would be great if the page forward / page back controls were larger, easier targets as well, especially since it seems that mobile browsers will be the only ones to see them anymore.)
I have seen the iPhone issue before (guilty as charged of introducing the same bug myself), it can be solved by resetting all measurements to fixed (not recommended) or relative (much better) sizes. The missing items should be visible if you drop overflow-y: scroll; from the CSS, which I kind of hope you will do anyway because I dislike extra scrollbars (minor annoyance only).
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
My 2 sids, I like the old compendium layout and functionality better.
Maybe I'll change my mind, still playing with it.  Searched for Dark Sun Creatures and it listed 3 creatures only, 2 crodlu and a wasteland raider.
Well, my primary complaint is that with the Old Compendium, you could type something in and immediately "at a glance" see how many results you got in each category.  "Oh look, for Tiefling there are 37 feats, 4 paragon paths, and 3 powers" (or whatever, numbers are not accurate).  Now, once I type in the search term, I have to go to a pull-down to see how many of each there are.  I find this annoying.
I really like the new compendium. Is it actually faster or is this a case of wishful thinking because it seems faster.
It does seem faster in processing power, but slower for users because you have to type the search term then select the drop-down on the left.
I was really impressed by the simple, smooth design and its speed. Until I saw this:

I had hopes that the new Compendium would be more usable on iPhone, but so far it is actually a regression. Compendium seems to be making some absolute font size assumptions that Mobile Safari does not provide, and as a result, on a 20 items per page view, only 17 of the items are actually drawn:

The three bottommost items are drawn out of frame and are unviewable; jumping to the next page starts with item 21.

I appreciate that mobile devices have obviously been considered, as Mobile Safari displays an items-per-page view with next / previous controls rather than a scrollview in a scrollview, but there are still some bugs to be sorted out.

(As an related note, it would be great if the page forward / page back controls were larger, easier targets as well, especially since it seems that mobile browsers will be the only ones to see them anymore.)

Yeah... no. The old design was slow and clunky but changing it and NOT accommodating tablets and smartphones is, frankly, just plain stupid. That should have been goal #1. 
It looks soooo close to being suitable for that, save the big static-sized results box that doesn't resize with the window. Half my screen is black... 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

I, for one, consider this new Compendium to be a major improvement over the old one.

However, one annoying bug from the old Compendium has persisted.  The Weapon category filter for items doesn't work right.  If you filter by Weapon, non-magical weapons are excluded.
Honestly can't stand it. I looked up the fighter power "Rain of Blows" and it defaulted me to showing classes. I then have to use a dropdown (click, move mouse, click) instead of hitting a single link (click). The old one wasn't that good either, but this one both takes a useability and aesthetic hit. With the combination of this and the honestly disappointing CB update (even for just PP, it seems to both not want to upgrade on my machine and is rather glitchy to boot) I'm going to let my subscription lapse.
Honestly can't stand it. I looked up the fighter power "Rain of Blows" and it defaulted me to showing classes. I then have to use a dropdown (click, move mouse, click) instead of hitting a single link (click). The old one wasn't that good either, but this one both takes a useability and aesthetic hit. With the combination of this and the honestly disappointing CB update (even for just PP, it seems to both not want to upgrade on my machine and is rather glitchy to boot) I'm going to let my subscription lapse.

This particular issue, the defaulting to the highest ranked result, was one which Paolo specifically mentioned was being looked at for possible changes.  Thought you'd be interested in knowing that.

The "right" answer is to allow the list to have heterogenous elements.  Classes next to powers next to backgrounds next to feats.  That is what the interface looks like it should do, so, IMHO, that's what it should do.

Focus on the text box, type something.  Results fill in below.  Use the dropdown to filter type.  The filter box changes.  Use the new filters to filter on source or something else. etc.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Pet peeve, trying to filter items by cost excludes any items without a level.  This was not introduced today ... this started a month ago or so.  But it's annoying me today, so I'll mention it now.

Go into the text box, and search for ..."Defensive".  You're trying to figure out what superior weapons you want to use.

Wow, that's a lot of items.  Hm.  Well, all those magic items cost over 100, and the base weapons all cost under that, so how about using a cost filter.  Well's just put "0" for the minimum, "100" for the maximum, and click "apply".

What?  Nothing matched?

Reset the filter, apply, then go sort by level.  There the items are... They are in the DB, but some aspect of how you're doing the query is excluding the entries where the level is null.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

So... was this the new web tool?

Because you've told us that we got no updates last month because you were working on a new tool, I think you need to tell us if this is really it.

Well, my primary complaint is that with the Old Compendium, you could type something in and immediately "at a glance" see how many results you got in each category.  "Oh look, for Tiefling there are 37 feats, 4 paragon paths, and 3 powers" (or whatever, numbers are not accurate).  Now, once I type in the search term, I have to go to a pull-down to see how many of each there are.  I find this annoying.

Seconding this. It's really inconvenient and definitely a step back in terms of the UI design as far as I'm concerned.
The compendium works fine on the iphone 4's safari for me (better than the old version). However, I'm also not a fan of having to go to the drop box.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what everyone's talking about now. Only 17 items are listed at a time (as another post pointed out). Yeah... this is near useless for me now. While glitchy, I used to access it the compendium a lot with my phone.

I do have a question, though. Are themes on the compendium? I see lots of references to them in the prereqs for feats and paragon paths, but I cannot find specific entries for them. Can anyone tell me where they are in the compendium?
Are you looking for a monster that flies?
Type in "fly" as the search term and see how many creatures you get.
None? really? That's odd because I thought atleast Dragons could fly, but the compendium says "0".

I know why. Too many to even show that there are too many.
So let's limit the search to "hover".
How many? 620 creatures? that's great. Filter by Creature.
What? It doesn't show any? That's odd.

So Essentials has no creatures that fly.
That's a shame.

/betterthenjustcomplaining,right?
"Only 17 items are listed at a time (as another post pointed out)."

This isn't just a phone issue.
If you have an old browser or an old computer (as I do here at work), it only shows 17 items in a list.
So you end up with the scroll bar for the page and the second scroll bar for the list to show the last 3 items.

No Bueno.
Can we get the old compendium back please?  This is terrible looking and not at all intuitive to use.

but we do not have any plan to bring back the old Compendium.

Fair enough.  I'll go cancel my account then.

While you may not like the look, it's pretty easy to use, I think. It's starts of simple and as you make your selection, more options come up. It guides you along. Unlike the old one which had a lot of options right off the bat.

But you would seriously cancel your account and have NO tool to use, rather then get used to a new, faster, more information tool, just because you don't like the look? It's your choice, but frankly it sounds like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
In general i like it.
It definitely seems to be perfoming much quicker on my computer at work. It's less glitchy in the ie6 we still have inflicted upon us here. I'll see how it plays with chrome tonight.

Still gutted i can't use it on my HTC desire (android 2.2 standard browser), the page loads, you can enter terms but the search button doesn't function.
But you would seriously cancel your account and have NO tool to use, rather then get used to a new, faster, more information tool, just because you don't like the look?

It's not really new, it's just a new look.  It's not more informative: it's just a new look.  And it doesn't seem any faster to me... especially once you include extra clicking.