October Update - Official thread

139 posts / 0 new
Last post

October 2010 Character Builder and Compendium News

Here’s a summary of the new data and features for Character Builder and Compendium, straight from the desk of our very own Paulo Marcucci.

Data Update:

Data from the following published material are new to the Character Builder this month:

• Books
    • Psionic Power

• Magazines
    • Dragon # 389

• Dragon #390

• Dungeon #180

• Dungeon #181

Data from the following published material are new to the Compendium this month:

• Books
    • Psionic Power

• Dark Sun Campaign Setting

• D&D Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands

• Magazines
    • Dragon #389

• Dragon #390

• Dungeon #180

We’ve also made some changes to the Compendium and we’re doing the normal monthly errata.

Remember: you need an active D&D Insider subscription to update your Character Builder with the new data and features. Each account is limited to 5 updates, per application. Every month, when a new data set is released, this limit will be reset for each application.

Check the Character Builder FAQ [wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...] for additional information.

Studio:

We’ve unfortunately skipped the September update as we have been extremely busy with the new projects that are taking shape at the Studio. We are now back in the groove and ready to keep out monthly update schedule.

Community feedback:

As Chris mentioned a while ago, we like to hear from you. Post things in the forums. Please. We are listening (well, reading, but you get the point). You can find discussions on the October update in the D&DI general forum.

- Paolo

About the Author

Paolo Marcucci is the Development Manager of the D&D Digital Studio. While he doesn’t mind playing games, what he really likes is making software that delights users

Note that WotC has also sent out a broadcast to the DDI group, which should have been also emailed to you.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
resreved for stuff
resreved for stuff

I'm installing now
So no Dark Sun?
So no Dark Sun?

No, they announced this awhile ago though
No Dark Sun.  Psionic Poeer, yes.  No Essentials, but with a caveat.  The new racial modifier choices are in there for the Forgotten Lands races (elf, etc...)

Also, on a side note, new UI for the compendium, though it still seems to work the same way.  Dark sun stuff in that. 
Note that WotC has also sent out a broadcast to the DDI group, which should have been also emailed to you.

I received an e-mail alert of the broadcast.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I have no e-mail, in my Junk or Inbox... I shall instantly jump to the conclusion that WotC hates the English as if we invented Robo-Hitler and unleashed him upon the world.

It's unlikely WotC are using a different domain which doesn't have reverse DNS set up to send these e-mails, isn't it?

Might explain why some of the people using web based e-mail aren't getting them, as they would get stopped before they got near us... but WotC aren't that dumb.

Wolf.

I have no e-mail, in my Junk or Inbox... I shall instantly jump to the conclusion that WotC hates the English as if we invented Robo-Hitler and unleashed him upon the world.

It's unlikely WotC are using a different domain which doesn't have reverse DNS set up to send these e-mails, isn't it?

Might explain why some of the people using web based e-mail aren't getting them, as they would get stopped before they got near us... but WotC aren't that dumb.

Wolf.

I'm using g-mail, which is web-based (and paranoid of spam in general).  I had no problems.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I have no e-mail eighter (no Jonk or Inbox) but I'm not english (but worse, I'm german). I don't even use a web based e-mail service...

Wolf.

I'm using g-mail, which is web-based (and paranoid of spam in general).  I had no problems.

I did say it was unlikely... back to the Robo-Hitler theory... if only I could find space to install the Espresso Machine... damn your "Laws of Physics", sir!!

On a more serious note... SILVERFISH HAND CATCH!

Also... still no-mail.

Wolf.

as it is an email notification of a broadcast, you should check your preferences, to see if you have email notifications blocked on your profile.

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

I didn't get an email either.  I did get the last one (although it was in the "junk" box for hotmail).  I can also recieve emails normally if I subscribe to a forum topic or something of the sort.  I think there's definitely something wrong with the notification system.

Edit:  Of course, as soon as I posted this it showed up.  Seems there may just be a delay.
as it is an email notification of a broadcast, you should check your preferences, to see if you have email notifications blocked on your profile.

Okay, two questions: was there a new broadcast sent out recently?

If so - I didn't get a broadcast notification in my forum profile, as best I can tell, though I did re-enable broadcasts when the last update failed to reach me. Edit - my bad, broadcasts don't go in the Inbox. I did receive it, but no email, which leads to...

Two...shutting off email notifications applies to that? The language led me to believe that it was just for forum replies and "posts to your network," whatever that means. I guess broadcasts fall in the latter? That would explain weirdness. However, if I have to enable emails for forum replies to get broadcasts, I think I'll leave it shut off.
No email for me either. I double-checked my settings and I am set to receive broadcasts, but so far have not received one in the hotmail account (inbox or junk) associated with my wizards acount. I'll agree that there appears to be an issue with the notification system.

Edit: Ok. The broadcast was in my wizards community inbox. I had forgotten it even existed. It definitely wasn't expected to go there.
-Sartredes

Yes it did. I got one from the DDI group today.

Two...shutting off email notifications applies to that? The language led me to believe that it was just for forum replies and "posts to your network," whatever that means. I guess broadcasts fall in the latter? That would explain weirdness.

Not sure, but will see if I can find out.

On a related note, would people find it worthwhile if I set up a "Broadcast testing" group for people to join to make sure that they have the right settings for broadcasts?

Yes it did. I got one from the DDI group today.

Two...shutting off email notifications applies to that? The language led me to believe that it was just for forum replies and "posts to your network," whatever that means. I guess broadcasts fall in the latter? That would explain weirdness.

Not sure, but will see if I can find out.

On a related note, would people find it worthwhile if I set up a "Broadcast testing" group for people to join to make sure that they have the right settings for broadcasts?

To the first, you don't need to check - although it's somewhat vague, after re-reading the options I'm guessing that the Email alerts refers to messages received through the community features of this forum software, not to things like forum replies. So broadcasts, maybe PMs, etc. Not positive, but we'll see.

To the second...eh, I think I've identified my particular problem. One thing that would be nice, though, is for broadcasts to land in the Message Center (the place you get to when you just click "INBOX" at the menu at the top of the forum).

Oh, I *like* the Compendium update.  The new layout will take some getting used to, but I'm very pleased to see backgrounds and familiars finally available in the tool.
For what it's worth, the group is here.
I like the new look of the Compendium and I got my DDI email at 2:20 pm EST.
Funny thing when you make a human character after the new down load there's a spot under race where you can pick which power they get.  Right now only the extra at will is available but one must imagine thats where you'll pick the ssentials encounter power when they put the essential update in.

Implication of course being they are actually doing an essentials update, and not just making that part of the web tools.

And if they do essentials it would also make sense that they would do a dark sun update, since it implies they aren't abandoning the offline CB. 

Seems like a fairly good sign anyway, and I know i wasn't the only one with this concern.
L7 Paladin Encounter power Crescent Moon, published in Dragon 386, still isn't selecting the correct weapon to base To-hit and damage numbers from.

I've submitted a bug report.
Tibis Refugee of many worlds
I didn't get an email either.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I didn't get an email either.

It seems you might have to have broadcasts and email alerts active in your Privacy Settings (though I suspect you already do). I got the broadcast, but no email alert, and I think that's because what I thought was "email alert on forum replies" was something else.
Is it just me (user error is always a top choice) or does the compendium seem to not have data from Psionic Power despite having Psionic Power as a dropdown filter in source?
I just recieved the broadcast e-mail. It's the same as Trevor posted over on the Announcements forum earlier.

At least this means the system is working.
Is it just me (user error is always a top choice) or does the compendium seem to not have data from Psionic Power despite having Psionic Power as a dropdown filter in source?

Not just you.
For what it is worth, I don't get any emails from WotC to my gmail account.  I originally signed up for insider using a .edu email, changed it to gmail, had CS change it everywhere in their system and yet, all WotC emails still go to the .edu address.  I don't have access to the .edu anymore, so I can't get emails.

I mention this incase anyone has changed their insider email account.  You could have the same trouble I do.
The broadcast got to me, and my mailscanner/spamassassin bayesian filter has been viciously picky lately, so I took that as good thing.
For what it is worth, I don't get any emails from WotC to my gmail account.  I originally signed up for insider using a .edu email, changed it to gmail, had CS change it everywhere in their system and yet, all WotC emails still go to the .edu address.  I don't have access to the .edu anymore, so I can't get emails.

I mention this incase anyone has changed their insider email account.  You could have the same trouble I do.

This is probably the same issue I'm having, becuase I originally had a different email address.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

For what it's worth, the group is here.

Excellent. Thanks!
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
Sooooo... are we going to get any more information? I don't know why, but I was expecting a bit more than 'We re-skinned the compendium'. Maybe something about when they thought the DS information would be in the update would be nice. Maybe a little information about the web tools....
Sooooo... are we going to get any more information? I don't know why, but I was expecting a bit more than 'We re-skinned the compendium'. Maybe something about when they thought the DS information would be in the update would be nice. Maybe a little information about the web tools....

One thing at a time... We're lucky to get communication regarding what they just did, let alone what they're going to do.  What do you think this is, Mardi Gras?  ;)

EDIT: Added a winking smile to denote a jovial, joking tone.  
NO Essentials or Darksun update to Character Builder (CB)!!

This is very upsetting.  What's worse is there is NO COMMUNICATION.  When will this content ever be added to CB?  Has a date been communicated to your subscribers as to when this update will occur?

If it has been communicated, how about putting it on the 'Content Calendar'?  Here is your link: www.wizards.com/dnd/calendar.aspx?Month=....  Notice that today's update is not listed on this page, nor are any updates shown for November.

I work in the IT software industry.  Yes, it's a lot of work to make all these updates.. So save your budget from the months were minimal updates are required to ramp up resources when you have a spike of development requirements.  Most important you set proper expectations with your client (customers) as to your release date.  If the date slips.. inform your customers early, and set a new date.

Communication for you is relatively free, why make it worse by not informing your customers.. I just don't understand that part.

Can I get a refund for October too?
What's worse is there is NO COMMUNICATION.

We knew what was going to be in the update six days ago.

NO Essentials or Darksun update to Character Builder (CB)!!

This is very upsetting.  What's worse is there is NO COMMUNICATION.  When will this content ever be added to CB?  Has a date been communicated to your subscribers as to when this update will occur?

It was communicated.  Those of us who read the announcement forum got exactly what we were expecting today.  You may want to keep an eye on the announcement forum for additional information, as we are expecting information sometime later this week regarding future updates.

Can I get a refund for October too?

You seem to have this forum mixed up with the Customer Service site... ;)
Why didn't we get an e-mail alert that the Character Builder was ready for Updating?
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
Don't forget that we were also promised new and more open communication today from the head of the studio.

Perhaps him saying that the reason the updates were (and still are) screwed up was that they were "very busy" doing other stuff is part of the new policy?

Paulo said he would try to have information ready by Thursday.  

It's no surprise that they can't keep the promises that we seem to be making up for them... Tongue out 
Why didn't we get an e-mail alert that the Character Builder was ready for Updating?

A lot of people did.  Some people didn't.  The people who didn't seem to be divided into groups of "Had email alerts turned off" and "There is an issue with my account and it's sending to an old email address".  There is another thread about it just below this one.
Not only has Paolo said that informatin is coming, but that there will be "a lot" of it.  From last thursday:

Guys, please. Be patient a couple more days. After the update, the studio (specifically me) will have a lot to say. I know that there always will be some that are not 100% happy with whatever comes, but I'm confident we can turn a corner and be more open to our users. Thank you.