Played last night. Had a blast

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was initially worried that the card thing would be clunky and poorly implimented, and you'd be forced into bad or awkard combinations of origins, but I found that just wasn't so. I rolled into a Speedster Empath, which wasn't the greatest combo, but still had so much fun finding random junk and killing humaniod pigs and badgers.
I am glad to hear it! This bodes well for my group's first adventure this weekend as well.
I've played Gamma World all the way back to 1E (1978? 1980? I'd have to check).

How does play for this version compare to the earlier editions?

I mean, I know that it's based on D&D 4E and all, but what about the general flavor of the game? The online previews seem even more "gonzo" and out there than earlier editions (cockroach characters and all) but sometimes that can be misleading.

It's nice to hear that the cards didn't get in the way! Smile
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
Flavor and theme are very dependent on the kind of game you want to run. I mean, the Game Day adventure has mutant cockroaches, mutant rabbits, mutant raccoons, laser death grids, and malfunctioning robots. That's weird, but not necessarily goofy.

The real weirdness comes in the random character combinations and the fact that any character can manifest a random mutation at pretty much any time.

There's precisely one (1) page of background material for Gamma World. It's pretty much left entirely unwritten, which means a GM can either make it up as he goes along, swipe an old background, or ignore it, depending on what his players ask about and his campaign requires.

The humor seems to come from things like card text, when the designers crack jokes or whatever. And in adventure text there are especially silly bits -- like the fact that the evil corporation from before the Apocalypse appears to have been named StupendiCo. All of this can be ignored very easily. Personally, I don't think the designers are as funny as they seem to think they are. I think it comes off as "dumb" rather than "hilarious." But that's just me.  
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Good to hear you had a good time. Bodes well for those of us yet to run a session.

Flavor and theme are very dependent on the kind of game you want to run. I mean, the Game Day adventure has mutant cockroaches, mutant rabbits, mutant raccoons, laser death grids, and malfunctioning robots. That's weird, but not necessarily goofy....

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make my local Game Day, which sucks as more materials = more fun. That said, I plan on running my GW games similar to my D&D sessions, on the more serious side sprinkled with humor. 

...The humor seems to come from things like card text, when the designers crack jokes or whatever. And in adventure text there are especially silly bits -- like the fact that the evil corporation from before the Apocalypse appears to have been named StupendiCo. All of this can be ignored very easily. Personally, I don't think the designers are as funny as they seem to think they are. I think it comes off as "dumb" rather than "hilarious." But that's just me.  

You're not alone in that thought. There are a few pieces of flavor text that I found amusing the first read though, but for the majority, it's a bit over-cheesed for me. Mind you that's coming from someone with a weakness for cheesy sci-fi/horror.
I've played Gamma World all the way back to 1E (1978? 1980? I'd have to check).

How does play for this version compare to the earlier editions?

I mean, I know that it's based on D&D 4E and all, but what about the general flavor of the game? The online previews seem even more "gonzo" and out there than earlier editions (cockroach characters and all) but sometimes that can be misleading.

It has the generally silly-but-deadly flavor of the first two editions.  So you can be a cockroach, you could be a cockroach in 1e, someone played a mutated cockroach in a GW game I ran.  I've also seen players mutate hummingbirds, shrews, cows, spiders, and once even a tapeworm for their 1e characters.  The one thing that's a little less silly is that hasn't got the old future-histor, where mankind reached a technological penacle, then destroyed civilization.  Rather, there was one 'Big Mistake' that caused thousands of alternate worlds to merge (kinda Riftsy), some of those world had hyper-advanced technologies.  So, your characters are less likely to puzzle over an 'artifact of the ancients' for hours before you (not the PCs) realize it was a hairdrier all along, and maybe more likely to explore a crashed flying saucer or something else not produced by a future human society.

The rules are 4e-like, just like 1,2,&4 were D&D-like, so the basics are similar, but there's generally a bit less to it. 

It's nice to hear that the cards didn't get in the way!

The randomness of the cards won't get in the way.  We'll see how allowing player-built decks affects things eventually.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!