Errors in monster stat blocks

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I noticed some small errors in some monster stat blocks while prepping the included adventure tonight.  I noticed errors in the calculation of attribute bonuses for the Badder Slave Driver.  It is listed in the book as Str 14 (+3).  The bonus for a 14 should be +2, not +3.  It has a Con of 13 (+2).  This should read Con 13 (+1).  It has a Dex of 14 (+3).  This should be Dex 14 (+2).  It also has Int 11 (+1).  The bonus for this should be +0, not +1.  It has Wis 12 (+2).  It should be Wis 12 (+1).  And lastly, it has Cha 17 (+4).  It should be Cha 17(+3).

Has anyone else noticed similar mistakes or am I missing something here? I was wondering if maybe the monster is considered to have some kind of inherent feature that adds to its attribute bonuses or if these are indeed mistakes.
Maybe it's supposed to be mod + 1/2 level.   ...or something?

Note, though, that ability mods do not figure into monster stats and there are very few cases where they will ever be used apart from the occasional bull rush attempt, so I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

I took a quick look through the monster section and they all have this adjustment. I believe you're right in that it's 1/2 level. The math works. I believe it's there to be used for skill and attribute checks.
Actually, I've looked through most monster stat blocks and there are inconsistencies.  Some have the normal attribute modifiers that PCs use in Gamma World and in D&D 4e and some have the weird modifiers that seem to be 1 pt higher than the normal ones.  

Some monsters will have for example: Str 14 (+2) while another might have Str 17 (+4). 
I'm just saying, accurate or inaccurate, you will almost never ever use those modifiers because they don't factor into the monster's statistics at all.  It's just there in case they need to make a flat ability check (which is... unlikely), in which case an extra point won't make or break it.
Looking through with spot checks I agree with Talladega it appears its the Ability modifiers (page 59) plus 1/2 monster level round down (page 16), which generates the adjusted ability score modifier (in parentheses) (page 106).  

Looking at all the Strengths I didn't see any errors.

Can you give specific page number, monster, and stat where you see the error?

Some monsters will have for example: Str 14 (+2) while another might have Str 17 (+4). 

That is correct. They include the ability mod & 1/2 level, which is by the rules.
Hoops have STR 17 (+4), but they are Level 3, so thats +3+1
Porkers Marauders are STR 16 (+3), but only Level 1 so only +3 +0

This is standard for al 4E monsters.

I actually forgot about it when I first wrote up Shockleys for GW, then remembered and went back and added it.

You use those modifiers to calculate Perception and Initiative as well as any skill the monster does not have listed. In GW, that usually means "all skills", since monsters don't seem to have skills in GW.

So they're not entirely unused. Monsters could roll Athletics, Insight, or even Science fairly consistently in a GW campaign. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
It appears that Monsters in Gamma World are built to standard 4e mechanics where stat blocks include the Stat Bonus +1/2 level as a reference for skill checks etc.

Player, on the other hand, are built with a different underlying mechanic or +1/level.
It appears that Monsters in Gamma World are built to standard 4e mechanics where stat blocks include the Stat Bonus +1/2 level as a reference for skill checks etc.

Player, on the other hand, are built with a different underlying mechanic or +1/level.

Note that this is intentional.  The player mechanic is different based on the lack of item, feat, and enhancement bonuses that D&D character would have to match the monsters' natural statistics.

Sign In to post comments