Gamma World Game Day (Oct 23) - Trouble in Freesboro

106 posts / 0 new
Last post

The Gamma World Game Day material arrived at my house today - YAY! Laughing

The game day instructions state that all players must buy two booster packs and and all DMs must buy the entire game. Is it just me, or is this a lot to ask of people for a game demo? After reading through the game day adventure, Trouble in Freesboro, I believe the DMs at the store may be able to share a single copy of the game. (Since I am a Gamma World fan-boy from way-back, I have already bought the game and I'm willing to share.) Now I'm worried about the players' requirements. From my calculations, each player really only needs 5 Alpha Mutation cards plus one or two additional Alpha Mutation cards to handle Alpha Flux. If all discarded cards are added back into the deck (after the draw), the deck of 40 Alpha Mutation cards in the box set should be able to support roughly 13 players (two tables). (When cards are discarded, they should probably be taken to the other table so no repeats.) Any thoughts about these calculations or issues with the game day adventure? (Please remember to hide any spoiler info.)

Excited to try the new Gamma World,
Kerry

Game Day Extras

* Paper standies/tents for monsters - docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BwSEGjOnxAb...
* A varient Game Day poster - docs.google.com /leaf?id=0BwSEGjOnxAb0Zjd...
* Origins hand-outs (by battles14) - www.mediafire.com/?79zm3f307mq1ljv

Trouble in Freesboro Adventure Errata
[sblock]
Page 10

The 6 result on the Beta Chamber table states that "The creature regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge." Gamma World does not have healing surges. I recommend that the result heals as Second Wind (i.e., bloodied value in hit points).

[/sblock]

I'm glad to hear we're getting some actual materials.  My FLGS must have been confused when they sold me my advanced copy and said "that's it."  ;)

If the DMs are familiar with 4e, they'll hardly need to the book in play.  Just make sure the powers the players will have are down in detail on their sheets, and it shouldn't be a major problem.  Monsters and all should be in the module, right? 

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

If the DMs are familiar with 4e, they'll hardly need to the book in play.  Just make sure the powers the players will have are down in detail on their sheets, and it shouldn't be a major problem.  Monsters and all should be in the module, right? 

Yes. The support material for this game day is actually pretty good. There is one new monster in the adventure. There are two promo cards to be given to players/DMs: Dehydrated Man (Omega) and Power Mimic (Alpha). The material includes a DM Cheat Sheet and quick reference sheets for character origins/powers.

Kerry
I haven't gotten the support materials yet.

Can you give us a complete list?

Are there maps? How many encounters is the adventure? 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
It has the usual game day material plus what was already mentioned, so yes, it includes a double-sided map with multiple locations and several character hand-outs (that should be copied if you don't want to rip the adventure). There are 5 encounters (but not all are combat encounters). Unfortunately, there is not a counter included for the new monster. I may have to create one.

Kerry
I'm surprised it has character hand-outs, since character creation is so fast.

Or do you mean something other than "pre-made characters"? 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I got my digital thing in my email today, I haven't picked up the adventure from my local store yet(will get it tomorrow).   If anyone wants it I could email it to you.

It has power cards for the novice powers and the level 1 origin abilities so players don't have to copy it all from the rulebook.  It also has a PDF of the character sheet (since I know alot of people are looking for one of those) I plan on blowing it up to a normal sized sheet since my laminated little ones are hard to read when you write with fine tip expos .  It also has the cheat sheet for dm's that goes over the basic rules (pretty helpfull)
How can I sign up to run this at my local FLGS? I've love a copy of the adventure if anyone would be willing to send it to me please.
I'm surprised it has character hand-outs, since character creation is so fast.

Or do you mean something other than "pre-made characters"? 

Adventure hand-outs would probably be a more appropriate term; they are props for the adventure. All characters will be created by the players. There aren't any pre-gens.

Kerry
I got my digital thing in my email today, I haven't picked up the adventure from my local store yet(will get it tomorrow).   If anyone wants it I could email it to you.

Digital thing? I didn't receive anything in my E-mail. An electronic copy of the adventure would be awesome. (The only material available for download through the event link is the game day instructions.)

Kerry

How can I sign up to run this at my local FLGS? I've love a copy of the adventure if anyone would be willing to send it to me please.

Unfortunately, to be an organizer for the Gamma World Game Day, you would have had to register at least a month ago. (You register with the Wizards Play Network.) However, game shops are usually looking for game day DMs so there is still a chance you can participate at an already registered store. Use the Store & Event Locator to find a participating store near you and ask them.

Kerry
If you are in the Sacramento CA, I'm always looking for a few good GM's I have two extra copies of the Gamma World Set ordered. I currently have two tables scheduled. but I think the turn out will be 4-5, as usual.
The digital download is not the adventure. Its just the Organizer Info Packet.
Though the IOP does include a nice cheat sheet of Rules Differences of 4e & GW, Weapon Stat List, and a little on basic attacks, skills, and ammo.

It also has a slanted scanned character sheet (from the box set).
And power boxes (can't call them cards) of all the 1st level At-Wills for the Origins.

The adventure is much better then the yawnfest in the box set.
It has 5 Encounters, one combat is optional if the game goes quick, and one non-combat encounter.
The non-combat encounter is well written and note it is NOT a skill challenge, though it does use listed skills to overcome problems in the encounter.

The most surprising part of the adventure is the URLs you can give to your players as the adventure states: "several key points in the adventure provide URLs of websites that players can visit on their mobile devices to learn hidden information, If you players don't have access to such devices, the adventure includes handouts."

Ive gone to the URLs, but none work (as of yet).
If you a Dark Matter fan you'll recognize the HoffmannInstitute.org

The maps are the best Gamesday Maps hands down!
Since Im sick of the dungeon tile posters they give us, but these are just incredibly done.
One side is two maps, a parking garage and an outside roadside encounter.
Both have automobiles (for you to shoot & blow up!) strewn about.
The other side is one map of a beautiful science lab.
These maps are gonna be used over and over again by all the DMs lucky enough to get them.
WOTC make some Gamma World Map Packs! Jason Engle is an incredible cartographer so use him!

The swag is 2 Cards, 1 Omega Tech (that the players earn in the adventure) and an Alpha Mutation that lets you copy a readied AMC on the table!

What is interesting is they are labelled 1 & 3 of 3, so I want to know what 2 of 3 is now?

I will give 2 thumbs up for the Gameday Adventure that has the best maps ever, some cool & interesting cards for swag, and some good exploring. The only downside is that does lean on being a dungeon crawl as it doesn't give any examples of how PCs could defeat encounters without combat or give more fluff & description of all the rooms. 
I was hoping to run this at my FLGS, but apparently their organizer and Wizards are butting heads over something, so I am not sure that they actually ordered, or were able to order, the GW game day materials.  Such a waste.  I was looking forward to running it, and hopefully getting some players interested in GW.

I'm considering showing up there and running the short adventure in the back of the book, but I'd really prefer to run the real deal.  I guess I'll check with my FLGS organizer and see if he actually received a packet from WotC or not.
There is one new monster in the adventure.

It turns out there is one entirely new monster, but three more new versions of monsters we already have, including a new Porker, a new robot, and an Elite boss, also a Porker.

All of this helps to flesh out the monster roster for future adventures, so it is nice to see. 
You may want to hide some of that information in case someone who wants to play the adventure reads this thread...

Kerry 
Here's some useless trivia: The Freesboro of the title is likely my hometown of Murfreesboro, TN (author Robert Schwalb currently lives there).

I look forward to seeing if there's any recognizable features of the 'Boro in the adventure.
Here's some useless trivia: The Freesboro of the title is likely my hometown of Murfreesboro, TN (author Robert Schwalb currently lives there).

That'd make sense, as it also references a nearby city - Ashville - which I assumed to be Nashville.

I wasn't too impressed with the poster sent with the game day material but I loved the new Gamma World advertisement that greeted me this morning when I went to the Wizards Community site. I grabbed the images from that video and created another game day poster for my store. You can download it from...
docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwSEGjOnxAb0Zjd...

I just organized/arranged the images. They are copyright 2010 by Wizards of the Coast and the poster will be removed if a representative from the company requests it.

Kerry
I was hoping to run this at my FLGS, but apparently their organizer and Wizards are butting heads over something, so I am not sure that they actually ordered, or were able to order, the GW game day materials.  Such a waste.  I was looking forward to running it, and hopefully getting some players interested in GW.

I'm considering showing up there and running the short adventure in the back of the book, but I'd really prefer to run the real deal.  I guess I'll check with my FLGS organizer and see if he actually received a packet from WotC or not.

My FLGS is getting the runaround as well!  I've been a GW fan since 1st edition! As soon as I heard they were releasing the new GW I volunteered to run the Game Day for him, but they won't call him back, despite his many calls to his WotC person. Cry
Just got my packet.

There's an error in the adventure! Well, a minor one, only thing I noticed so far.

The LAST page, not counting handouts... just above the About The Author.
There's a d6 table for something.

The last 2 words are "healing surge"

Lol.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
How does one get a copy of the GW adventure Trouble in Freesboro?
You need to sign up through your FLGS to run the Gamma World Game Day.

As the kits have already been sent out, it's pretty much too late.
Your best bet now is ebay.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

That sucks.  I emailed WotC over a month ago to ask about GW game day but never got a reply & had no idea how to sign up.  The WotC website was unhelpful. I hope WotC will at least make the adventure available to the rest of us after GW Game Day.

Guessing that it uses the LE map that came with the adventure, I doubt it will be available anywhere outside of ebay. 

Still, I do know this, one of the local FLGS had their order lost and when they finally got in touch with WotC were told all the packets had been claimed and they could not be readded to the system.

That sucks.  I emailed WotC over a month ago to ask about GW game day but never got a reply & had no idea how to sign up.  The WotC website was unhelpful. I hope WotC will at least make the adventure available to the rest of us after GW Game Day.

Game Day events have to be registered by your STORE, not by individuals.
Your store gets in touch with their Wizards Play Network (WPN) rep and it goes from there.

Because it's a store based event, it has to go through stores, not individuals.

In my case, I told my store owner I wanted to run and he said "OK, you're in" and handled the rest.
Of course, my store is a Premier store, and he runs lots of events.

Talk to your store owner about getting Game Days organized. There aren't any coming up soon though.
Just got my packet.

There's an error in the adventure! Well, a minor one, only thing I noticed so far.

The LAST page, not counting handouts... just above the About The Author.
There's a d6 table for something.

The last 2 words are "healing surge"

Lol.

You seem to have a misprint. My adventure shows the entire table and it concerns the Beta Chamber. I have added the information to the first post on this thread.

Kerry

His sheet is not misprinted. Palmerkun was pointing out that GW does not HAVE healing surges. So the Beta Chamber table makes no sense.
His sheet is not misprinted. Palmerkun was pointing out that GW does not HAVE healing surges. So the Beta Chamber table makes no sense.

Doh! I totally misunderstood...

Kerry
It's OK. It's early in the morning. We're all sleepy.
It doesn't make sense "as written," but it does make sense if you replace the words "healing surge" with "second wind."  That's how I'm going to interpet it during the encounter, especially given the massive amounts of damage that might be dealt to the player in the encounter.

So... eating my words.  It looks like regardless of whatever was going on between my local game store's organizer and WotC, they sent the GW gd packet.  So, looking forward to picking it up this weekend and getting up to speed to run a table.
I was being vague in how I worded it for spoiler reasons
Color me irritated.

1 encounter calls for 5 of a creature.
Another calls for 4 of the same PLUS a unique of that species.

There are only 4 tokens for that creature.

Grrr.

(This is ignoring the 5 of a creature which is new to this set)

Time to go through my minis looking for cool stuff to sub in.
I picked up mine from my FLGS when I showed up to play encounters.   I really quite liked the Omega World reference of 'clickies' for mutated insectoids (instead of 'cockroaches').  Omega world was a great little 3e-ish version of GW that made an appearance in Dragon (or was it Dungeon?) magazine.  I think there are some unique (well, new to me, anyway) aspects that certain players I know will definitely enjoy (not just the cards).

The counters are a little inconvenient.  I also don't like that they are different front-back.  Not just that there's a different monster on each side instead of a bloodied condition, but that they're different from counter to counter.  If all the badders were, say, dabbers on the other side, it'd at least be a little easier to find what you're looking for. 

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I agree with you Tony.  Pulled the box out last night to start figuring out which tokens to use when I spotted that problem.  Pretty much useless to me, I'll just use the generic Monster tokens I have I guess.  Not to mention what Palmer noticed... only 4 porker tokens in the box set.  Frown

Someone was suggesting that this could be run without the game box, but then you leave out the alpha mutation deck from the game master.  We are inviting anyone who bought the game and wants to show up with some friends to play the adventure, they will get the promo cards and the adventure as a thank you.

Otherwise, I have 2 tables lined up... sadly way low for a gameday event for us (we usually have 9-10 tables run for these things) 
Wow, 9-10?  We only had two tables at Red Box Game Day - two tables of 4 players each.

For Gamma World we're expecting two or three tables.

If you have any D&D Orc miniatures, they'd work for the porkers - especialy if they're really old leads (there were /some/ of the pig-looking orcs done, weren't there?). ;)

The Game Box is supposed to be required (it says one Game Box per table in big print right on the materials).  I pre-ordered mine, have had it a week, so no worries there. 

If you have any D&D Orc miniatures, they'd work for the porkers - especialy if they're really old leads (there were /some/ of the pig-looking orcs done, weren't there?). ;)

Gammorean guards from Star Wars would probably make decent porkers.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
www.otherworld.me.uk/oseries.html - Pig faced orcs!

I'm using Gruts for Porkers and Marro for Klickies (Heroscape) myself.
Anyone else tried the .../stupendico/..  links in the module.  All I get is the word 'welcome.'  I take it they'll go live for Game Day?

(It looks like they scavanged the Hoffman Institute from a different game promo?)

www.otherworld.me.uk/oseries.html - Pig faced orcs!

With a flail and battleaxe, no less!