DoD: Major NPC Development

Hi folks,

I reckon some of the major NPCs in the Dawn of Defiance campaign could use some fleshing out ... not just to make them more interesting and "real", but also to "fix" any logic errors and plot holes revolving around them. To that end, please feel free to share any changes, descriptive text, added encounters, etc that you've included in your DoD campaigns relating to each of the main NPCs. Consider this a brainstorming and idea-swapping thread.

These are the NPCs I'll be covering:

Admiral Varth

Inquisitor Draco

Master Denia

Captain Verana

Sirona Okeefe

Darga the Hutt

Recurring Minor NPCs

In addition to discussing motivations and personality, I'll also post any revised statblocks I do for these characters in this thread.

That's all for now. More later.

Cheers,
Jonathan

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Would you like to help build the D&D 5e forum community?
You can start by introducing yourself here.
Admiral Gilder Varth
3459320a9a9501f56b755f7330ce6265.jpg

Varth is a loyal Imperial officer who merely poses as a traitor. The plot assumes that no one ever questions his sincerity until it's too late. While I can accept that Varth might be able to fool Verana to the extent that he is able to spring a trap on the "resistance" in DoD 7, I have trouble accepting that Varth is able to hide the truth from Denia. Surely she wouldn't just accept him at face value and would, instead, use the Force to delve a bit deeper ... and since Varth isn't Force-sensitive, I don't see him being able to resist her (EDIT: It's been pointed out to me elsewhere that Denia can't detect his dark side score explicitly because he's not Force-sensitive). And part of the idea is that no one else in the Empire knows what Varth and Draco are up to, so it's unlikely that Varth received some sort of "impenetrable disguise" from the Emperor or something.

As per Jedi Unleashed's suggestion below, I am going to make it so Varth and Denia worked together in the past - most recently during the Clone Wars, but possibly even before that. This makes Denia more likely to trust Varth implicitly and thus less likely to want to "probe" him or anything like that. "I know Varth. We go way back. He would never doing anything like that."

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Inquisitor Valin Draco
One thing it mentions in DoD 4 is that Draco sees his relationship with the Empire as "one born of necessity", which implies that he has grander designs than just being a Sith Lord's lackey. But these grander designs never manifest themselves in the campaign.

It's hardly original, but you could make it so Draco hopes to take out Palpatine and Vader so he can be supreme leader of the galaxy. To that end, I'm thinking of giving him a partially functional Star Forge (which grew from a "seed" of the original Star Forge). Part of his motivation in DoD 4 is to find an old holocron (not Rivan's, but perhaps one of Revan's or Kreia's or something) that will teach him how to unlock the power of the Star Forge so he can use it to build his own unstoppable fleet of starships that not even the Emperor will be able to stand up against.

There are some other good ideas in this thread: Inquisitor Draco, the Far More Intimidating Version. Look at posts 7 and 12 specifically.

~ David G. Allen

Master Denia

I've made Denia more of a Jedi sage than a warrior. I've restatted her with all the various Battle Meditation talents and given her more "party buffer" Force powers and the like. I've also established that she was the master of the ex-Jedi padawan PC in my group. He's lost his way a bit and started down the dark path since her "death", but hopefully her return will help him head back toward the light. There's also a Force-sensitive Jawa PC in the party ... and I'm figuring that Denia will be pragmatic enough to toss out the whole "you're too old to undertake the training" thing when the Jawa expresses an interest in being trained as a Jedi. Beggers can't be choosers and all that.

revised statblock
Master Denia
Medium Human (old) Jedi 7 / Jedi Knight 5 / Jedi Master 3
Force 6; Strong in the Force
Init
+13; Senses Use the Force +20
Languages Basic, Bocce, High Galactic, Neimoidian

Defenses
Ref 32 (flat-footed 29), Fort 28, Will 34; Deflect
hp 106 (second wind +26/53); Threshold 28
Immune fear effects

Speed
  6 squares
Melee unarmed +16 (1d4+6) or
Melee lightsaber* +18 (2d8+6)
Base Atk +15; Grp +16
Atk Options Melee Defense
Special Actions Force Focus, Improved Battle Meditation, Jedi Battle Commander, Scholarly Knowledge, serenity
Force Powers Known (Use The Force +20) battle strike, enlightenLECG, farseeing, circle of shelterJATM, Force shield, Force stun (2), Force thrust, mind trick (2), move object, negate energy, rebuke (3), surge, vital transfer (2)
Force Techniques Improved Sense Force, Improved Telepathy
Force Secrets Holocron LoremasterJATM, MentorJATM
*Denia's lightsaber is currently missing.

Abilities
Str 8, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 17, Wis 21, Cha 17
Special Qualities build lightsaber, fearless, serenity
Talents Battle Meditation, Deflect, Force Focus, Force HarmonyJATM, Force Perception, Improved Battle MeditationKotOR, Jedi Battle CommanderKotOR, Scholarly KnowledgeCWCG, Visions
Feats Force Sensitivity, Force Training (3), Improved Defenses, Melee Defense, Predictive DefenseGaW, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Strong in the Force, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (lightsabers), Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, simple)
Skills Endurance +11, Initiative +13, Knowledge (bureaucracy) +15, Knowledge (galactic lore) +15, Knowledge (social sciences) +15, Perception +12 / +20, Use the Force +20*
*may reroll to use telepathy and keep the better result
Possessions tattered Jedi robes

~ David G. Allen

Captain Adrian Verana
d95906ace0aa2b9f826aa7bd69ac33a1.jpg

I don't have a lot to say about Verana at the moment. As written, he's a little boring and could use some spicing up ... mostly so that the PCs will be motivated to try and rescue him in DoD 7.

~ David G. Allen

Captain Sirona Okeefe
557f799b29182fc5622615651afe0c7b.jpg

I've made Sirona a bit of a motherly figure. She is a friend of Maya, the Alderaanian secret agent the PCs help out in the first module, and is introduced to them through her. She then takes them under her wing as she shuttles them from place to play in the Banshee.

I thought her stats were kinda wimpy - plus Careful Shot and Running Attack are kinda mutually exclusive, so I beefed her up a bit and made her more of a mobile combatant (Skirmisher and Running Attack both work together and both work with starships). I also reworked her copilot sidekick Crash using the official RX-series pilot droid stats from SGtD and making a few tweaks to make it match what's in DoD I more closely and then gave him a level of Independent Droid to add a bit more flavor. Here are their reworked stats:

Sirona Okeefe
Sirona Okeefe    CL 9
Medium Human scoundrel 7/ace pilot 1/gunslinger 1
Init +12; Senses Perception +11
Languages Basic, Binary, Bocce

Defenses
Ref 27 (flat-footed 24), Fort 23, Will 24; Vehicular Combat
hp 56 (second wind +14/28); Threshold 23

Speed
 6 squares, Running Attack
Melee by weapon +5
Ranged heavy blaster pistol +10 (3d8+4) or
    Banshee's double light laser cannons +12 (3d10+4x2)
Space 1 sq; Reach 1 sq
Base Atk +6; Grp +9
Atk Options Desperate Gambit, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Skirmisher
Special Actions Fortune's Favor, Fool's Luck, Improved Quick Draw

Abilities
Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14
Special Qualities Bad Feeling
Talents Fool's Luck, Fortune's Favor, Improved Quick Draw, Skirmisher, Spacehound, Vehicle Focus (space transport)
Feats Bad Feeling, Desperate Gambit, Improved Defenses, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Running Attack, Skill Focus (Pilot), Vehicular Combat, Weapon Proficiency (pistols, simple weapons)
Skills Deception +11, Initiative +12, Knowledge (galactic lore) +11, Mechanics +11, Perception +11, Persuasion +11, Pilot +17 (can take 10 when piloting a space transport)
Possessions heavy blaster pistol (w/ Imp Acc), comlink, datapad, personal effects, the Banshee

Crash
'Crash', modified RX-Series Pilot Droid                        CL 2
Medium droid (2nd-degree) nonheroic 4/independent droid 1
Init +4; Senses Perception +1
Languages Basic, Binary, Bocce

Defenses
Ref 15 (flat-footed 13), Fort 11, Will 15; Vehicular Combat
hp 16 (second wind +4/8); Threshold 11
Immune droid traits

Speed
 6 squares (hovering)
Melee unarmed +3 (1d4)
Space 1 sq; Reach 1 sq
Base Atk +3; Grp +5

Abilities
Str 10, Dex 15, Con -, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 14
Special Qualities hot-shot pilot, Industrial Automaton manufacture
Talents Quick Astrogation
Feats Skill Focus (Pilot), Skill Training (Knowledge [technology], Mechanics), Vehicular Combat, Weapon Proficiency (heavy weapons)
Skills Knowledge (technology) +8, Mechanics +8, Pilot +14, Use Computer +8 (may astrogate as a standard action)
Systems heuristic processor, hovering locomotion, 3 claw appendages, vocabulator
Availability Licensed; Cost base 9,855 credits

Hot-Shot Pilot
- May reroll any Pilot check to avoid a collision and take the better result. Once per encounter, make a Pilot check as a reaction against the attack roll of a missile or torpedo to avoid it for a round of combat.
Industrial Automaton - Add Intelligence bonus (min +1) to aid another with Mechanics.

~ David G. Allen

Darga the Hutt
628a1a73210744ab0cfdfa9ef32cf673.jpg

Darga's not as major an NPC as some, but he does play a big part in DoD 2 and reappears in DoD 3, so I thought I'd include him here. I've taken Nefandus' suggestions and really increased the whole "gangsta" look for Darga: he wears bling (and gives the PCs blinged-out gear as rewards); he listens to rap music and has his own personal rapper [in fact, I've chosen the Geto Boys' Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta as his theme song]; and he makes his protocol droid, Six Six, speak with a "gangsta" accent.

Here are Darga's revised stats (mainly for the fight on Cloud City in DoD 3):
Darga the Hutt

Here's my draft version of Darga the Hutt:

Darga the Hutt                                    CL 10
Large Hutt noble 2 / scoundrel 5 / crime lord 3
Destiny 1; Force 3; Dark Side 10
Init +8; Senses Perception +13
Languages Basic, Bocce, Dosh, Huttese, Neimoidian, Nikto, Quarrenese, Rodese, Ryl, Ugnaught, Zabrak

Defenses
Ref 25 (flat-footed 21), Fort 21, Will 27
hp 67 (second wind +16/33); Threshold 32
Resist +5 vs Use the Force checks
Immune can’t be tripped or knocked prone

Speed
2 squares
Melee vibrodagger +8 (2d4+9) or
Ranged disruptor* +7 (3d6+6) at pb range [0–20]
Space 2×2 sq; Reach 1 sq
Base Atk +6; Grp +13
Atk Options Desperate Gambit, Find Openings, Point Blank Shot
Special Actions Advantageous Opening, Assault Gambit, Impel Ally I, Revolutionary Rhetoric, Silver Tongue
*Treat target's threshold as 5 lower; can only fire every other round

Abilities Str 14, Dex 6, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 16
Special Qualities command cover +1, Force resistance, supreme stability, persuasive
Talents Advantageous Opening, Assault Gambit, Find Openings, Impel Ally I, Inspire Fear I & II, Revolutionary Rhetoric
Feats Desperate Gambit, Fight Through Pain, Linguist, Point Blank Shot, Predictive Defense, Silver Tongue, Skill Focus (Deception, Persuasion), Weapon Proficiency (adv melee, pistols, simple weapons)
Skills Deception +18, Gather Info +14, Initiative +8, Knowledge (bureaucracy, galactic lore, social sciences) +14, Perception +13, Persuasion +18*, Pilot +8, Stealth –2, Use Computer +14
*May reroll and keep better result; can improve attitude and intimidate as a standard action
Possessions DX–2 disruptor (w/ superior accuracy & recognition system [DC 30 Use Comp or self-destruct]), spring-loaded vibrodagger (w/ imp dmg), gaudy jewelry (1500 credits), repulsor couch 

Rationale
Darga is a gangster and a gambler. He's also a younger, more nimble Hutt. I've tried to convey this in his abilities. His gambling nature shows through with things like Desperate Gambit and Assault Gambit. His gangster side is represented by his nasty tricks and the fact that, although he prefers to have others do his dirty work for him, he's fully capable of doing the deed himself. He's also a rather intimidating and fearsome individual, with a sharp tongue (I'm ignoring the fluff for his Revolutionary Rhetoric talent, which I chose because it has the most devastating effect [no attacks] and because he can still use it on targets who don't understand Huttese - since it says you can "say or do something").

Although his Dex is still pretty bad, he nevertheless comes across as quick thanks to abilities like Advantageous Opening and Predictive Defense (which is pretty much a must-have feat for Hutts). I also gave him the feat Fight Through Pain, which actually gives him a higher threshold than the Imp Damage Threshold feat would.

As for his weapons: for starters, he's got a highly illegal - and heavily modified - DX-2 disruptor pistol. Considering that the weapon is pretty nasty already but I've added the superior accuracy tech upgrade to it, I figured I'd better make it difficult for the players to get their hands on it ... hence the built-in recognition system. If the PCs want to use it, they have to make a DC 30 Use Computer check to bypass the security features; if they fail by 5 or more, the weapon self-destructs (no damage to the wielder though).

On top of that, he's also got a spring-loaded vibrodagger hidden on his person that he can use to even greater effect than the disruptor. I'm considering having the dagger be coated in some kind of poison.

In terms of the repulsor couch: I'm still pondering the details, but I think I'll mostly just use it to boost his speed (4 squares) and make him harder to hit (SR 15). I won't give it a gun. I might still allow it to shoot out a smokescreen or a cloud of poison gas or something, though. And I'll also need to figure out some sort of price for the thing because I'm sure once the PCs get their hands on it, they'll want to know how much they can sell it for ...

Lastly, I didn't see why Darga needed to be wholly evil (he's still young), so I didn't max out his DSS. I also gave him a Destiny Point. Oh, and I made his "gaudy jewelry" be worth more than the piddly 400 credits it's worth in the module (I get the impression that the DoD authors wanted the PCs to be poor for most of the first act, considering how they get virtually no money until the sabacc tournament, where they can potentially win quite a hefty amount, as we've discussed above).

~ David G. Allen

Recurring Minor NPCs
Although I was originally only going to do major NPCs in this thread, I thought I'd also include some of the minor NPCs that have become recurring characters in my campaign. NPCs like Switch, although I won't include him here because I didn't actually make any changes to him.

The first recurring minor NPC I want to post is Zayda, the Rodian gladiator from Darga's palace in DoD 2. My players took him down with stun damage, so he survived to fight another day. Before the gladiatorial fight, though, I had him in the "flophouse". One of the PCs went over and talked to him and he tried to convince the PC to buy some "miracle cure" stuff that his cousin made. The PC didn't fall for it, but he did seem to like Zayda despite that, so I'm going to have him return in DoD 3. I'm still considering how and in what capacity. If I have him as an opponent, he'll apologize to the PCs and say it's nothing personal, only business. I might also have him betray Darga and ally with the PCs, though.

Here are his stats:

Zayda the Rodian - DoD 2
Zayda                                          CL 3
Medium male Rodian scoundrel 3
Force 3; Dark Side 3
Init +14; Senses low–light vision; Perception +2 (may reroll)
Languages Basic, Rodese
Defenses Ref 18 (flat-footed 15), Fort 14, Will 15
hp 28 (second wind +13/14); Threshold 19
Speed 6 squares
Melee knife +3 (1d4+2)
Ranged heavy blaster pistol +6 (3d8+4) at pb range (0–20) or
     stun grenade +5 (4d6+1, 2sq burst)
Space 1 sq; Reach 1 sq
Base Atk +2; Grp +5
Atk OptionsDastardly Strike, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Special ActionsTrick Step
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6
Special Qualities heightened awareness
TalentsDastardly Strike, Trick Step
Feats Improved Damage Threshold, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Skill Focus (Initiative), Weapon Proficiency (pistols, simple)
Skills Acrobatics +9, Deception +4, Initiative +14, Perception +2, Stealth +9
Possessions heavy blaster pistol (w/ imp dmg), knife, stun grenade x3, gladiator’s garb

Tactics If Zayda hits a target he's successfully used Trick Step on, he moves them -1 step along the condition track.

Zayda the Rodian - DoD 3
Zayda                                          CL 5
Medium male Rodian scoundrel 5
Force 4; Dark Side 3
Init +16; Senses low–light vision; Perception +3 (may reroll)
Languages Basic, Rodese
Defenses Ref 21 (flat-footed 17), Fort 18, Will 17
hp 40 (second wind +14/20); Threshold 23
Speed 6 squares
Melee knife +4 (1d4+3)
Ranged hvy blaster pistol +8 (3d8+5) at pb rng or
     hvy blaster pistol +10 (3d8+5) vs flat–footed opp at pb rng
Space 1 sq; Reach 1 sq
Base Atk +3; Grp +7
Atk Options Cunning Attack, Dastardly Strike, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Sneak Attack (6 sq, +1d6)
Special Actions Trick Step
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6
Special Qualities heightened awareness
Talents Dastardly Strike, Sneak Attack, Trick Step
Feats Cunning Attack, Imp Damage Threshold, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Skill Focus (Initiative), Weapon Proficiency (pistols, simple)
Skills Acrobatics +11, Deception +5, Initiative +16, Perception +3 (may reroll), Stealth +11
Possessions flight suit, heavy blaster pistol (w/ imp dmg), knife, 250 credits

Tactics If Zayda successfully uses Trick Step to treat his target as flat-footed, he gets a +2 bonus to attack. If he hits, he moves the target -1 step along the condition track and, if his target is within 6 squares, he deals +1d6 damage.

~ David G. Allen

With my DoD group, I did (IMO) work up an interesting subplot after the player of the party Jedi told me that his character didn't know whether the character's master had survived Order 66, and after we had a lot more fun with my bounty hunter-hijacker (Crem Vri'bek) at the end of Episode II than I had anticipated. Though I had to disband the group shortly after we finished Episode II (got too busy), here's what I was planning:

-I decided that the master, who I named Ban Froth, had been captured and turned to the dark side by Draco, who would send Froth on missions to "test his worthiness to join the Inquisitorius." In Episode V, had we ever gotten that far, I would've replaced the bounty hunter Vril Vrakth with Froth, who would reveal the Master-Padawan relationship between Draco and Denia, even if the PCs had already learned about it: "I sense you've been learning from a powerful Jedi. Break off the yoke. Learn the true power of the Force, as my mentor Draco did. Ah, you know that name? Valin Draco, the student of Jedi Denia, now a Jedi scourge himself?"
-I cut Koorst, Vrakth's apprentice, from Episode V altogether since I didn't think I really needed him.
-The PCs brought Vri'bek back to the Resurgence after their first encounter, and Verana had him locked up. While the PCs were off on Nizon, I was going to have Varth secretly release Vri'bek and send him after the PCs, but Vri'bek would just miss them.
-Varth would then wait for the right moment to send Vri'bek to Coruscant after the PCs, giving him the location of the safehouse and promising him an extra reward on top of the Imperial bounty for the PCs if he succeeded in capturing them. Thus, Vri'bek would be present for the "Safehouse of the Dead" encounter in Episode VII (packing an ysalimiri so the Jedi couldn't take him down as easily as the last time) but would retreat if things went badly for the ISB agents. Then Vri'bek's attempts to get the Imperials involved (by invoking Varth's name) would muddle things up enough to explain the PCs' relatively easy escape from Coruscant.
-Froth would reappear as the instigator of the merc attack on the Gem of Alderaan in Episode VIII; he convinced the mercs that Organa sponsored legislation that cut Imperial funds for hiring mercs, which led to the termination of the mercs' contract with the Empire. Froth would kidnap Lady Aldrete to draw the PCs to him so he could subdue them and take them prisoner, and Vri'bek would catch up in time for a climactic three-way fight on top of the train. I think I would've let the PCs kill Vri'bek this time, but Froth would escape after unintentionally proving to the PCs that he wasn't totally lost to the dark side (such as by hesitating to kill Lady Aldrete).
-That failure to capture the PCs again would get Froth into trouble with Draco, and the PCs would find Froth a prisoner in the Citadel Inquisitorius in Episode IX. If the PCs had released him, I would've used Xenocide's extended escape encounter and battle with the Assiduous to give Froth a chance to perform an act of dramatic heroism so a PC could fulfill a Redemption destiny.

If I ever get the chance to run DoD again (probably won't be anytime soon), I would like to try this again and see how it turns out.
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Just one question:

While the PCs were off on Nizon, I was going to have Varth secretly release Vri'bek and send him after the PCs, but Vri'bek would just miss them.

Did you put any thought into how exactly Varth was going to go about doing this? I'm just trying to establish how much freedom of movement Varth would have aboard the Resurgence. I'm thinking that at first, Verana would be wary of him and keep tabs on him. Plus, Nebulon frigates aren't all that big really ... I'm thinking that Varth needs to do more to ingratiate himself with Verana (and with the PCs ... and definitely with Denia, when she shows up), so that he has enough leeway to do things onboard the Resurgence without anyone noticing.

~ David G. Allen

I did a little tweaking to Raden to make him fifth level scoundrel. I made him Force sensitive and gave him Force training. He picked up Force slam and phase. I figure he can knock crates off the shelves in the warehouse and move through a wall in the warehouse.
Garrett
The Star Wars Saga Dawn of Defiance Podcast THREAT DETECTED is here! threat-detected.com IMAGE(http://www.obsidianportal.com/images/banners/op_banner1_468x60.png)
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Just one question:

While the PCs were off on Nizon, I was going to have Varth secretly release Vri'bek and send him after the PCs, but Vri'bek would just miss them.

Did you put any thought into how exactly Varth was going to go about doing this? I'm just trying to establish how much freedom of movement Varth would have aboard the Resurgence. I'm thinking that at first, Verana would be wary of him and keep tabs on him. Plus, Nebulon frigates aren't all that big really ... I'm thinking that Varth needs to do more to ingratiate himself with Verana (and with the PCs ... and definitely with Denia, when she shows up), so that he has enough leeway to do things onboard the Resurgence without anyone noticing.

I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it, especially since the PCs weren't going to be there at the time. I figured Varth would set things up so it looked like he was trying to stop Vri'bek from escaping and got hurt in the process. 

I did forget to mention that I did have at least one more small encounter with Varth that I had been planning on. When the PCs returned to the Resurgence between Episodes II and III, Varth was going to present the PCs, "as a token of my gratitude . . . and for luck," with the medal he received for valor at the Battle of Coruscant. I imagined he wore it on the inside of his uniform since it wouldn't look good for an Imperial officer to be wearing a Republic medal, and that's why it wasn't confiscated when he was arrested (his statblock in Episode I states that he's still wearing his tattered officer's uniform).
I did a little tweaking to Raden to make him fifth level scoundrel. I made him Force sensitive and gave him Force training. He picked up Force slam and phase. I figure he can knock crates off the shelves in the warehouse and move through a wall in the warehouse.

Nice. I pretty much left Raden as he was. My players thought he was rather pathetic. And the one whose PC was quick to volunteer to fight him in the arena took great joy in throwing him about with the Force. She is a Jawa and Raden and called her a "little rat" on several occasions, so I guess she was getting her revenge (and in retrospect, I really should have awarded her a DSP for it).

I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it, especially since the PCs weren't going to be there at the time. I figured Varth would set things up so it looked like he was trying to stop Vri'bek from escaping and got hurt in the process.

Hmm. 

I did forget to mention that I did have at least one more small encounter with Varth that I had been planning on. When the PCs returned to the Resurgence between Episodes II and III, Varth was going to present the PCs, "as a token of my gratitude . . . and for luck," with the medal he received for valor at the Battle of Coruscant. I imagined he wore it on the inside of his uniform since it wouldn't look good for an Imperial officer to be wearing a Republic medal, and that's why it wasn't confiscated when he was arrested (his statblock in Episode I states that he's still wearing his tattered officer's uniform).

I recall you posting that somewhere else. I plan on using it myself, although for some reason that I can't quite recall at the moment, I decided to move it to after Episode 3 rather than after Episode 2.

The main issue for me is how Varth is supposed to escape Denia's scrutiny. I can understand that she might not be able to foresee his plans because the dark side clouds her foresight or whatever, but the dark side shouldn't prevent her from being able to "ping" Varth and get the sense that he's more trouble than he looks to be.

Varth and Denia appear to be roughly the same age. I wonder if perhaps they could have had a secret relationship of their own at some point that would muddy the waters a bit ... or is that getting a bit too much, since Draco is also her former padawan and such? If she was a bit conflicted about Varth, with her own feelings getting in the way, that could help explain why she doesn't pick up on his true intentions until it's too late, though.

~ David G. Allen

I think any kind of romantic relationship would be too much, but Varth and Denia could have fought together in the Clone Wars, just like Anakin and Admiral Yularen seem to work together a lot. In that case, Denia would be used to trusting and relying on Varth and would probably know him quite well, so she'd be much less likely to suspect he was up to anything shady ("I know him--he'd never do anything like that"). They haven't seen each other for a long time, so she might write off some of his behavior as emotional scars left over from things he experienced in the war and in the Imperial military since she last saw him.
That works. Thanks.

~ David G. Allen

I've updated my entry for Darga. Feel free to check him out and post some feedback when you do.

~ David G. Allen

I like your version of Darga the Hutt!

If you feel like giving him a further boost, you could exchange a feat for Brilliant Defence from Galaxy of Intrigue - it allows you to add your Int mod to Reflex Defence 1/encounter as a reaction. Given his already high defence from the Predictive Defence feat, this could give him a boost at a critical juncture...

I thought I'd post my revamped version(s) of Valin Draco here feel free to comment or even to use it in your game (BTW: I deleted my old post and put this one here - it is different from the original ans substantially so).
I'm a little concerned that as the BBEG, he'll be a bit of a pushover as he (in his final 20th level incarnation) has lost 5 points of BAB (my final version loses only 1 point and he has other abilities that make up for even that ;) ) and he'll likely face some twinked out combat monkeys that'll pound him into the dirt.

Valin Draco
Valin Draco, Imperial Inquisitor

Revised Valin Draco for Dawn of Defiance 04: Echoes of the Jedi
Valin Draco CL 10
Medium Adult Male Human Scoundrel 3/ Jedi 4/ Sith Apprentice 2/ Melee Duellist 1
Destiny 2*; Force 8; Dark Side 17
Init +13; Senses Perception +13
Languages Basic, Huttese, Honoghran
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defences Ref 28 (Flat-footed 25), Fort 24, Will 26; Melee Defence
hp 73; Threshold 24
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 6 squares
Melee Unarmed +12 (1d4+5) or
Melee
Lightsabre +15 (2d8+5 fire) or
Melee Lightsabre +13 (3d8+5 fire) with Rapid Strike or
Ranged
Heavy Blaster Pistol +14 (3d8+5)
Base Atk +9; Grp +12
Atk Options Exposing StrikeCW, Out of NowhereKotOR, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Strike, Weapon Finesse
Special Actions Cheap TrickGaW, Dark Healing, StymieCW
Force Powers Known (Use the Force +17): BlindJATM, Dark Rage, FearKotOR, Force ShieldtFU/LE (2), Rebuke (2), Surge
Force Techniques Improved Dark RagetFU
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 15
Talents Cheap TrickGaW, Dark Healing, Exposing StrikeCW, Force SupressionKotOR, Out of NowhereKotOR, StymieCW
Feats Force Sensitivity, Force Training (2), Melee Defence, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Strike, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Lightsabres), Weapon Proficiency (Lightsabres, Pistols, Simple Weapons)
Skills Acrobatics +13, Deception +12 (may reroll to feint against an enemy within 6 squares, keeping the better result), Gather Information +12, Initiative +13, Perception +13, Persuasion +12, Use the Force +17
Possessions Code Cylinder, Commlink, Heavy Blaster Pistol (with Superior Accuracy traitSaV), Inquisitor’s Robes, Red-bladed Lightsabre** (self-built with Barab Ore IngotJATM, Steeped in the Dark Side traitLE, Superior Accuracy traitSaV, Trapped GripJATM), various personal belongings
*Valin Draco is considered to have fulfilled the Corruption (+1 Wisdom and +1 Charisma) and Discovery (+1 to all Defences) destinies.
**Valin’s lightsabre has been rebuilt using Star Forge technology. As a result, it has gained the Steeped in the Dark Side and Superior Accuracy traits to represent the fundamental nature of Star Forge technology.

Now for the DoD 09 and 10 version:
Revised Valin Draco for DoD 09: Sword of the Empire/ DoD 10: Jaws of the Sarlacc
Valin Draco CL 20
Medium Adult Male Human Scoundrel 4/ Jedi 6/ Sith Apprentice 7/ Melee Duellist 3
Destiny 4*; Force 13; Dark Side 20
Init +18; Senses Perception +20
Languages Basic, Huttese, Honoghran
Defences Ref 38 (Flat-footed 35, with Flurry 33), Fort 34, Will 38; Melee Defence
hp 114; Threshold 34
Speed 6 squares
Melee Unarmed +22 (1d4+10) or
Melee
Lightsabre +25 (2d8+12 fire) or
Melee Lightsabre +27 (2d8+12 fire) with Flurry or
Melee Lightsabre +23 (3d8+12 fire) with Rapid Strike or
Ranged
Heavy Blaster Pistol +24 (3d8+10)
Base Atk +19; Grp +22
Atk Options Cunning AttacktFU, Exposing StrikeCW, FlurryKotOR, Out of NowhereKotOR, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Strike, Weapon Finesse
Special Actions Cheap TrickGaW, Combat TrickerytUR, Dark Healing Field, Improved Dark Healing, Master of Movement (1/encounter), StymieCW
Force Powers Known (Use the Force +23): BlindJATM, Dark Rage, FearKotOR, Force Grip, Force Lightning, Force ScreamKotOR, Force ShieldtFU/LE (2), Lightning BurstLE, Memory WalkJATM, Pass the BladeJATM (2), Rebuke (2), SlowKotOR, Surge, Unbalancing BlockJATM (2)
Force Techniques Improved Dark RagetFU, Improved Force LightningtFU, Improved Move Light Object
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 18
Special Qualities Master of Movement (1/encounter)
Talents
Cheap TrickGaW, Consumed by DarknessCW, Dark Healing, Dark Healing FieldKotOR, Exposing StrikeCW, Force SupressionKotOR, Improved Dark Healing, Out of NowhereKotOR, Stolen Form (Tràkata)TotG, StymieCW, Weapon Specialisation (Lightsabres)
Feats Combat TrickerytUR, Cunning AttacktFU, Force Sensitivity, Force Training (3), FlurryKotOR, Melee Defence, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Strike, Skill Focus (Deception, Use the Force), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Lightsabres), Weapon Proficiency (Lightsabres, Pistols, Simple Weapons)
Skills Acrobatics +18, Deception +24 (may feint with a lightsabre as two swift actions; may reroll to feint against an enemy within 6 squares, keeping the better result), Gather Information +19, Initiative +18, Perception +20, Persuasion +19, Use the Force +23
Possessions Code Cylinder, Commlink, Cybernetic Eye with Infrared SensorGaW, Heavy Blaster Pistol (with Superior Accuracy traitSaV), Inquisitor’s Robes, Red-bladed Lightsabre** (self-built with Barab Ore IngotJATM, Steeped in the Dark Side traitLE, Superior Accuracy traitSaV, Trapped GripJATM), various personal belongings
Cybernetic Prosthesis: As Valin Draco possesses an unshielded cybernetic prosthesis, he takes full damage from ion weaponry. In addition, he suffers a -1 penalty to Use the Force checks.

*Valin Draco is considered to have fulfilled the Corruption (+1 Wisdom and +1 Charisma) and Discovery (+1 to all Defences) destinies.
**Valin’s lightsabre has been rebuilt using Star Forge technology. As a result, it has gained the Steeped in the Dark Side and Superior Accuracy traits to represent the fundamental nature of Star Forge technology.

This version focuses on my ideal of the Inquisitorius - they are more like the Jedi Guardians of the Empire (the Emperor's Hands are the Jedi Sentinels, the Prophets of the Dark Side the Consulars). As such, Valin is more of a combatative opponent - but he doesn't fight at all fair and will disrupt/flat-foot his opponents whenever possible.

To tie in with our discussions pukunui - he has learned to draw upon the life force of his opponents in a manner similar to that of Darth Nihilus from Darth Traya's holocron. In RP terms he also learned the Tràkata lightsabre form as well from Traya's holocron.

As a tactical perspective, I've given him some area effect abilities (Dark Healing Field, Force Scream and Lightning Burst) as he may end up fighting alone during his encounters with the heroes.
I like your version of Darga the Hutt!

Thanks!

(BTW: I deleted my old post and put this one here - it is different from the original ans substantially so).

I figured.

I'm a little concerned that as the BBEG, he'll be a bit of a pushover

Indeed. I'm thinking of making him higher than 10th level for the DoD 4 encounter.

he has learned to draw upon the life force of his opponents in a manner similar to that of Darth Nihilus from Darth Traya's holocron.

Which ability is this one? I don't see it.

In RP terms he also learned the Tràkata lightsabre form as well from Traya's holocron.

Is that a lightsaber form Traya knows in the game or something? I don't really get the reference.

~ David G. Allen

I'm a little concerned that as the BBEG, he'll be a bit of a pushover

Indeed. I'm thinking of making him higher than 10th level for the DoD 4 encounter.

What level do you plan on having him?
I ask because I still have the talent and feat selections each level and can give you the stat block for my version of Valin at that level...

he has learned to draw upon the life force of his opponents in a manner similar to that of Darth Nihilus from Darth Traya's holocron.

Which ability is this one? I don't see it.

It's the complete talent tree of Dark Healing, Improved Dark Healing and Dark Healing Field from the Sith Apprentice levels. It doesn't highlight the draining of the Force from his victims, but Nihilus did feed on the life-force of the Ravager crew rather more gradually and I think this reflects that (IIRC, the official Darth Nihilus write up does have at least some of these talents - or should at any rate).

In RP terms he also learned the Tràkata lightsabre form as well from Traya's holocron.

Is that a lightsaber form Traya knows in the game or something? I don't really get the reference.

It's from the KotOR CG - Darth Traya's official writeup had the Tràkata talent. Mind you, I'm really just rationalising - I wanted him to have the Tràkata talent (gained through Stolen Form) in this version to take advantage of the sabre form Powers special effects.
I ask because I still have the talent and feat selections each level and can give you to the stat block for my version of Valin at that level...

Not too sure yet. Maybe 15th. Although that might be too high.

It's the complete talent tree of Dark Healing, Improved Dark Healing and Dark Healing Field from the Sith Apprentice levels.

Ah OK.

It's from the KotOR CG - Darth Traya's official writeup had the Tràkata talent. Mind you, I'm really just rationallising - I wanted him to have the Tràkata talent (gained through Stolen Form) in this version to take advantage of the sabre form Powers special effects.

Ah.

~ David G. Allen

I ask because I still have the talent and feat selections each level and can give you to the stat block for my version of Valin at that level...

Not too sure yet. Maybe 15th. Although that might be too high.

If you're still swapping DoD 05 (First to Strike?) with DoD 04 (Echoes of the Jedi) and Valin is 10th level when the expected 7th heroes face him in DoD 04, he should be at least 14th level if you swap the adventure order around.

When I get home, I'll post both the 14th and 15th level versions if you'd like.
I'm leaving it open-ended at the moment. I'm waiting to see what the players want to do at the end of DoD 3. If they're keen to investigate the Nizon connection, I'll do DoD 5 first, then the six month gap and DoD 4. If they don't pick up on it or don't particularly care, I'll just do the six month gap and DoD 4 as normal.

~ David G. Allen

I would appreciate the 14/15 level Valin.
Garrett
The Star Wars Saga Dawn of Defiance Podcast THREAT DETECTED is here! threat-detected.com IMAGE(http://www.obsidianportal.com/images/banners/op_banner1_468x60.png)
What I may do for simplicity is to post the entire level-by-level breakdown of my version of Draco, so that anyone who requires a different level from the ones normally required (10th and 20th) can make the necessary adjustments.

One thing I would like feedback on though - have I gone too far with all the differing abilities Valin has to make an opponent flat-footed? Should I tone it down to feinting and one other method, or do you think he's OK as written?

BTW: Aside from the obvious Rebuke, Valin's defence against other Force-users (and Force Wizards in particular) is the Stymie and Force Supression talent combination. He would use Stymie on an opponent who is casually flinging Force powers around (giving a -5 penalty to Use the Force), while Force Supression reduces any variable effect Force power by one step (which effectively means another -5 penalty to Use the Force).
The powers look good, especially the use of Force shield, which my Jedi PC is making great use of. But I wouldn't exclude the Inquisitor talent tree, especially inquisitor and cower enemies.
Garrett
Well, here's the level by level breakdown of my version of Inquisitor Valin Draco - talents are in italics, feats are in bold and Force Techniques/SQ's are bold italicised.
Starting ability scores are based on a 32 point buy assigned as follows: Str 10, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 14 (Increased in the following order: 4th (Dex, Con), 8th (Int, Wis), 12th (Wis, Cha), 16th (Wis, Cha), 20th (Wis, Cha) - don't forget the +1 Wis and +1 Cha bonuses from having completed the corruption destiny before he reached 10th level).

Valin Draco level by level breakdown
[Scoundrel = Scl, Jedi = J, Sith Apprentice = SA, Melee Duellist = MD]

1) Scl1: Stymie, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Proficiency (Pistols, Simple Weapons), Force Sensitivity, Force Training
2) Scl1/ J1: Force Supression, Weapon Proficiency (Lightsabres)
3) Scl2/ J1: Melee Defence, Force Training
4) Scl3/ J1: Cheap Trick
5) Scl3/ J2: Weapon Focus (Lightsabres)
6) Scl3/ J3: Exposing Strike, Skill Focus (Use the Force)
7) Scl3/ J4: Rapid Strike
8) Scl3/ J4/ SA1: Dark Healing
9) Scl3/ J4/ SA2: Improved Dark Rage, Weapon Finesse
10) Scl3/ J4/ SA2/ MD1: Out of Nowhere
11) Scl4/ J4/ SA2/ MD1: Combat Trickery
12) Scl4/ J5/ SA2/ MD1: Weapon Specialisation (Lightsabres), Force Training
13) Scl4/ J5/ SA3/ MD1: Stolen Form (Trakata)
14) Scl4/ J5/ SA4/ MD1: Improved Force Lightning
15) Scl4/ J5/ SA5/ MD1: Improved Dark Healing, Cunning Attack
16) Scl4/ J5/ SA6/ MD1: Improved Move Light Object
17) Scl4/ J5/ SA7/ MD1: Dark Healing Field
18) Scl4/ J5/ SA7/ MD2: Master of Movement (1/encounter), Skill Focus (Deception)
19) Scl4/ J5/ SA7/ MD3: Consumed by Darkness
20) Scl4/ J6/ SA7/ MD3: Flurry

From this, you can produce my conception of Valin Draco at any level you feel you need. As for hit points: 18 for first level, Scl gives 3.5 per level, J and SA give 5.5 per level and MD 4.5 per level, +1 per level Con Mod - round up the number you gain if necessary or boost his hp to higher than average if you want to give him more staying power.

As for your comment on the Inquisitor Talent Tree barefoottourguide, while I did want to include it in my build I felt that Melee Duellist was ultimately more useful due to the Out of Nowhere talent and the +4 class bonus to Reflex Defence. The other reason was the fact that I wanted to include the 'Darth Nihilus' effect in the Dark Healing trio of talents and thus had no room for the other Force talents necessary to enter Force Adept.

Any other comments (especially on the number of flat-footing abilities and if there are too many of them... please )?

As discussed in another thread, I'm not too happy with Varth's portrayal in the module. It's too obvious that he's got plot immunity. I mean, all it takes to blow his cover is a suspicious PC who decides to probe him with the Force. He's got no way to hide his DSS. There's really no explanation of how or why Varth does what he does.

I think it makes more sense for Varth to be some sort of sleeper agent or something. So he really has turned against the Empire, but rather than just do away with him, Palpatine decides to use him to help expose Organa. At some point, Varth undergoes some brainwashing that he can't remember, but he now has an "activation" code word implanted into his psyche so that when the time is right, he'll turn "back" into a loyal Imperial agent. And that time is after the PCs successful wreak havoc on Coruscant. Perhaps Draco was the one assigned to do the brainwashing, which helps explain why the two of them are sort of working as a team.

~ David G. Allen

I've decided to add in some minor but recurring characters to this thread. The first one is Zayda, whom the PCs first met in Darga's palace (where they fought with him in the gladiator arena). I'm going to have him return in DoD 3, although I'm not sure if I want him to be an antagonist or a protagonist. I've built him around the scoundrel Trick Step talent, which is a pretty handy - and fun - way to make opponents flat-footed. See here.

~ David G. Allen

I've added some modified stats for Sirona and Crash that I whipped together this morning. See post #6.

~ David G. Allen

Have you ideas and tips to build statistics of these characters? (The Gem of Alderaan)

No sorry. I haven't got that far yet. We're only just finishing DoD 3. I may do proper stats for Lady Aldrete closer to the time, but I don't think any of the others need full statblocks.

~ David G. Allen

Is it bad I haven't read past Ep5?
Garrett
Is it bad I haven't read past Ep5?
Garrett

I think it's important to read all the way through the campaign so you know what's coming down the track, so you can plan ahead and avoid having to make last-minute adjustments to the plot.

That being said, I don't think it's all that important to read every single word in each of the modules. After about #5, I stopped reading through the encounters and statblocks and things, and just stuck to the main text so I could get a sense for how the plot is supposed to unfold and who is supposed to do what and when and the like.

~ David G. Allen

I just had an epipheny that by tweaking things as much as I di without knowing the main plotlines in the second half I could really be hosing myself down the line. But I don't want to purchase more ink from Office Depot for printing it up.
Garrett
I just had an epipheny that by tweaking things as much as I di without knowing the main plotlines in the second half I could really be hosing myself down the line.

Yes, that is my concern re: starting the campaign without having read all the way through.

But I don't want to purchase more ink from Office Depot for printing it up.

I didn't want to read it on my computer either, but I went ahead and got it all printed and bound at the Warehouse Stationery (the local equivalent of Office Depot) for pretty cheap. I kinda wish I'd had them all bound individually though ...

~ David G. Allen

Late to the party, but I just wanted to say thankyou pukunu. I needed an updated Okeefe and Denia. At this stage the players is almost at the same level as the original Okeefe was in Episode 1, and I needed her updated for a BH encounter in the end of Episode 2. Also I appreciate the updated Denia. So much have been added in other books since DoD was written and Denia is better as a "sage" indeed.
You're welcome, Jemy. I noticed the other day that my revised Sirona was short one talent and one feat. I ended up giving her Fortune's Favor and Desperate Gambit. I've just updated the statblock in this thread.

I will eventually post stats for Varth, Draco, and Verana. 

~ David G. Allen