10/12/2010 SF: "(Van)Guarding (in) the Future"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Planechase Vanguard Archenemy

Which is ridiculously fun as hell - especially when played on an Eternities Map.

Of course, I'm quite disappointed with this article.  Any Vanguard article that doesn't contain a variation of "hey guys, we're reprinting them all!" and/or "hey, guys we're printing new ones" is an automatic failure.
Did I miss it somewhere?
The title seems like a stealth announcement, but Styborski isn't Wotco so it's probably just wishful thinking.

I love love love Vanguard and would like few things more than to see a paper rerelease.  A few of the more interesting online Vanguards are difficult or impossible to do without a computer randomizer (Akroma requires piles upon piles of sticky notes corresponding to a deck of random ability-pairs, Hermit Druid requires some creative and illegal solution like marking your land cards or doing a bunch of extra shuffling that doesn't "count" and has to ignore publicized cards, and I would advise against even trying to make Jhoira work).  It was never a balanced format and easily becomes degenerate, but I don't much care; it's the very definition of awesome.

The return of Vanguard or its replacement with something similar but a little more balanced-slash-EDHlike is a VERY distinct possibility for the next Planechase/Archenemy "casual crowd" release.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
The only Vanguard I've played is Momir Basic online.  But I think there is a dedicated Vanguard online community.  I know there's a guy on puremtgo.com who writes regular Vanguard articles.  For people who are into it, the cry of "print new ones" seems to be pretty common.  
I went looking for those puremtgo articles and got a 404 error or something of the sort.  Do you have a working link?
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
puremtgo.com/articles/fun-vanguard-46-al...

That's his latest one, and then there's a way to search for all articles by that author in the "article library" section of the site. 

In the article Adam suggests Painter's Servant in combination with fear creatures, now am I wrong or does that just not work? The way I see it, servant gives his color in addition to colors already there so black and/or artifact creatures will remain black and/or artifact and therefore able to block fear creatures. (And yes in case you were wondering, I know that artifact is not a color) If I am correct then a similar problem occurs with Shriekmaw and  Bone Shredder and their destroy abilities, although they remain good inclusions in a Gix deck.

I've only done Vanguard on MTGO, and only Momir Basic.  However, I do have a Sliver Queen, Brood Mother card.  I haven't run into anyone with Vanguard.  I doubt that anyone would want to face me anyway since I would be using Slivers.

Slivers FTW as I knew they would! 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
In the article Adam suggests Painter's Servant in combination with fear creatures, now am I wrong or does that just not work? The way I see it, servant gives his color in addition to colors already there so black and/or artifact creatures will remain black and/or artifact and therefore able to block fear creatures. (And yes in case you were wondering, I know that artifact is not a color) If I am correct then a similar problem occurs with Shriekmaw and  Bone Shredder and their destroy abilities, although they remain good inclusions in a Gix deck.

You are correct.  I suspect Adam overlooked the "in addition to their other colors" part of Painter's Servant's ability.
@ GainsBanding - Thanks, dude, I owe you one!

(Note:  This poster is Red-aligned and thus is under no obligation to repay what he owes unless he happens to feel like it that day.)

You are correct.  I suspect Adam overlooked the "in addition to their other colors" part of Painter's Servant's ability.

Protection from a color or a similar ability such as Manta Ray, however, will work swimmingly (groan!)
Planechase Vanguard Archenemy

Which is ridiculously fun as hell - especially when played on an Eternities Map.
Did I miss it somewhere?

Agreed.  My group had a great time with it, but it stopped being about Magic and just became complete randomness.  Now we need to try it with EDH decks!

I ebayed for my full set back in 1999.  Had a blast with them.  We would play a vanguard team.  So you add up the hand size/life modifiers from each and get the abilities.  It was a little broken, but a lot of fun.  My favorite was Urza with his namesake lands.