Level Max is 10?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

So after reading the rulebook I had one major question and that is, characters can only go to lvl 10?  Will the exansions expand upon this?  Does anyone know?

Thanks

According to the designers, who spoke at GenCon on this issue, Gamma World 4E is designed as a faster play experience and something you do for a little while before going back to your regular D&D game.

Not only is the level capped at 10, but if you look at the XP chart you will see that each level has greatly reduced XP requirements. If you play the adventure in the back of the rules, you will be 3rd level after only 8 encounters!

There's no sign that levels beyond 10 will be added, though you are not the first player to ask for it. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List

Interesting

thanks for the info

But it would be very easy to add more levels if you are fine with taking some powers from DnD4e.

I do like the simple characters with fewer powers and always changing AMs or OTs, so you do run the risk of adding to much. 
It shouldnt be to hard to follow the setup they are using, maybe even do power swaps for the next tier of play so they stick with the same amount of powers but just more powerful in scope.
Agreed.

Power swaps would be best to keep the number of powers in check.
Also the Psionic At-Wills would be fantastic starting points for higher level powers. 
Well, I will leave it up to my group if they make it to lvl 10 and go from there.  If they decide to push further then I will take some time and work on it but for now Im not gonna worry to much over it.
What you might do is follow the lead of Dark Sun's themes. All the powers for these themes have three versions, which each version doing a bit more damage or having a better effect or whatever. As you go up in level, you can swap out the low level version of the power for the higher version.

Another thought about levels 11+: Levels 11-20 are called the "Paragon tier" and the heroes are supposed to be saving the world, or the nation, instead of just their town or city. Gamma World Paragons would be involved in major reconstruction, rebuilding, or forging a new nation which can bring Gamma Terra out of darkness (or plunge it back in forever, depending on your Path I suppose). Founding an Animal Nation, creating a global cure for radiation and mutation, refounding the US, these would all be great Paragon campaigns. Paragon is also the place for time travel: perhaps the heroes can go back and prevent the Big Mistake?

Beyond, into Epic, it gets hard to speculate and even more gonzo. I think I might go extradimensional on this, send the players across dimensions to the world of the Xi or Ishtar or the Gray. I'm not certain what your goals would be, or what kind of Epic Destiny you would have.

I guess to me Paragon seems very doable, but I come up empty on Epic Gamma World.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Going back in time and preventing the Big Mistake /would/ be a capstone Epic adventure.  Saving worlds is an Epic thing.  ;)   Though, travelling among some of the alternate realities that collapse or bleed into Gamma Terra might be a cool Pargon thing that'd lead into that.  Of course, GW doesn't have to follow the D&D tiers.

One thing that occurred to me is that Origins are very much like races, just very potent races.  After 10th, you could have characters start on a class.  Since there's no magic, the only classes you could scavenge from D&D are the Martial and Psionic ones.  You'd have to adjust the classes (or elements of the game liek weapons) a little.   You could also make up your own classes.

A simpler option that would get you to 12th  would be to let the players take the each of the other UberFeatures. 

Similarly, in 1e Gamma World, there were levels, but no classes.  You just got to roll on a chart to get a bonus when you leveled.  Working up something like that couldn't be too hard.  Or, you could just make up 8 more UberFeatures for the players to choose from.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

If you're going to add Classes from 4E, you may as well go the Full Thundarr and add magic.
Or 'Arcane' could just be tapping into the Krell Thought Machine...

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I know that they've already said stuff regarding Cryptic Alliances, but here's how I would like to see them introduced.... At level 11 the character should be established enough (in mood/methodology) that they're now a full representative of a Cryptic Alliance. They'll still gain Alpha Mutations through "drawing" but their powers will come from the Cryptic Alliance. Each Cryptic Alliance would have three subsets with the player picking from their powers as they advance. The reason for three subsets would be to remove some of the cookie-cutter from character creation.

Level 20 would cap with the character becoming one of the movers-and-shakers of his/her Cryptic Alliance. Only thing I can think of for level 21 and above would be the same thing that usually happens in other level based games, the character retires from adventuring. Around level 20 the characters usually have some kind of established holding (i.e. a fort or town) and that takes up a majority of their time. Instead of going out and adventuring, the character now hires others to go adventuring for them. Heck, one of my D&D games has a city run by an old character of mine and the guilds are run by friends old characters.
Maybe 10 levels is high enough?
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
rule to expand on the 10th level cap were posted on a blog known as Dazed (save ends)

these rules build off of giving your charcter a proffesion-eque trait set which evolves similarly to origens.

I personally do not plan to use these rules in my GW game, as I am a bit oif a purist. because of this I have not read the rules throughly, but they appear reletevly stable. my only concern about the "uber tier" (the name of past 10 levels) is that there is litle suppport for monsters past 14th level, so you may have to stat out new monsters or steal them from normal D&D.
im currently disigning an alternet uber tier ruleset that builds on the mutant types as opposed to gaining new unrelated traits.
Hi all,

I've had a look at Oraibi's uber-tier rules and think I'll use them once my PCs reach 10th level. However, my main concern right now is that advancement before then is too *quick*. It's not so much that there aren't enough levels, but rather that you steam through them too quickly.

I'm playing Steading right now, and the idea that my PCs will be 3rd level after only one adventure, and then 6th after Far-Go, and 9th or 10th after Legion of Gold, makes me feel like there's no room for my PCs to do anything else in the campaign before they're too high level.

Right now, I'm thinking of using the standard D&D XP requirements - it'll slow down advancement a bit, and give everyone room to breathe and have a few interim adventures before reaching high level.

Anyone else experimented with anything similar?

Cheers, :-)

Sarah
Hi all, I've had a look at Oraibi's uber-tier rules and think I'll use them once my PCs reach 10th level. However, my main concern right now is that advancement before then is too *quick*. It's not so much that there aren't enough levels, but rather that you steam through them too quickly. I'm playing Steading right now, and the idea that my PCs will be 3rd level after only one adventure, and then 6th after Far-Go, and 9th or 10th after Legion of Gold, makes me feel like there's no room for my PCs to do anything else in the campaign before they're too high level. Right now, I'm thinking of using the standard D&D XP requirements - it'll slow down advancement a bit, and give everyone room to breathe and have a few interim adventures before reaching high level. Anyone else experimented with anything similar? Cheers, :-) Sarah

Well, someone on this forum (I forget who) came up with the idea of abandoning XP altogether, and leveling according to game sessions. You level after a number of sessions equal to your current level, so you spend 1 session at level 1, 2 at level 2, and so on. 
Obviously, you can alter that on a case by case basis if you have a shorter or longer session, so you can say, "This counts as 2 sessions" or "half a session" experience-wise.

Compared to D&D and the older Gamma World iterations the new GW is fast and furious even in character creation. Rather than playing long, epic journeys Gamma World keeps it fresh with foreseeable endgames. This means to me less character and game fatigue.

If what now exists for Gamma World is all there is, fine. However, if Gamma World is successful and more importantly to the company, profitable then I wouldn't mind a later expansion book that add character levels as well as challenges.
Well, someone on this forum (I forget who) came up with the idea of abandoning XP altogether, and leveling according to game sessions. You level after a number of sessions equal to your current level

That person had mistakenly confused "sessions" with "encounters" (discussed here)... big difference, and the method would still be problematic even with the correction

However, doing away with XP in general is still perfectly fine (even recommended); the expectation in Gamma World is that the PCs will level approximately after every two sessions or 5 encounters (compared with every three sessions for regular D&D).

fwiw: even the RPGA (normally big on playing by the book and crunching numbers) is doing this now for Epic levels: 3 sessions= 1 one level (three sessions per level was exactly how RPGA sessions worked out before that anyhow).

Also, DMG p.121 gives XP-less D&D as an option: "If you want to...""Tell the players that they gain a level after they complete eight to ten encounters."