Kinky; a whip-wielding Fighter/Adroit Explorer/Ceaseless Guardian surrounded by dirtbags.

58 posts / 0 new
Last post

[color=red][b]Kinky![/b][/color]

[b]Fighter/Adroit Explorer/Ceaseless Guardian[/b]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPaf_woQ4v1pIiDtrEekLzXKR6--ffetkB7V9j8oCpg6pyGQg&t=1&usg=__VpARlGsbp3xDmEXxviuslgibtdQ=

Build Objective: Be annoying as all get out, whether you're multi-defending, or picking on one bozo at a time.

How we do it: Whip Training + powers and feats selected to maximize your control of the grid.

Build Features

1. Whip Training. From day 1, this build has +3 proficiency, melee 2 range, and is able to impose an extra -2 to hit (vs one target of your choice). While the damage is light, this build is able to negate some attacks from the very first encounter of its career.

2. Obnoxious MBAs. By L12, Kinky's OAs... slide 2 (Lashing Flail + Battering Shield), Slow (Hindering Shield), and impose a -2 to hit vs a target of your choice.

3. Solid control via At-Wills.
-- MBAs as above.
-- Tide of Iron = push 2, slow
-- Knockdown Assault = prone, slide 2, slow
-- Footwork Lure = slide 2, slow

4. Strong multi-marking. All Encounter powers taken are chosen expressly for multi-marking, and Kinky has 2/Enc 'Come & Get It' by L11.

5. Adroit Explorer sillycakes.
-- 2/enc Come & Get it, as mentioned above.
-- an AP in each of your first 3 encounters of a workday.
-- on AP, gains Resist 10/20 all.

6. Zero enchantment reliance. Kinky gets more fun with a Staggering Whip, but doesn't need anything.

L30 CB Summary

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kinky, level 30
Human, Fighter, Adroit Explorer, Ceaseless Guardian
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Ambitious Effort: Ambitious Effort Existing Power
Guardian Mindfulness: Guardian Mindfulness Strength
Ambitious Effort Existing Power: Come and Get It
Rattling Exploit: Come and Get It
Background: Birth - Blessed (Religion class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 28, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 47 Fort: 46 Reflex: 41 Will: 44
HP: 203 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 50

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +20, Intimidate +20, Religion +21, Athletics +27

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +20, Heal +20, History +16, Insight +20, Nature +20, Perception +20, Stealth +17, Streetwise +15, Thievery +17

FEATS
Human: Whip Training
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Flail)
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Flail)
Level 4: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)
Level 6: Dragging Flail
Level 8: Toughness (retrained to Armor Specialization (Scale) at Level 11)
Level 10: Battering Shield
Level 11: Lashing Flail
Level 12: Hindering Shield
Level 14: Improved Defenses
Level 16: Daunting Challenge
Level 18: Repel Charge
Level 20: Fleet-Footed
Level 21: Rapid Combat Challenge
Level 22: Reaching Whirlwind
Level 24: Slashing Storm
Level 26: Strength Through Challenge
Level 28: Rattling Exploit
Level 30: Epic Will

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Footwork Lure
Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Thicket of Blades
Fighter utility 10: Mighty Sprint
Fighter encounter 13: Scattering Swing (replaces Hack and Hew)
Fighter daily 15: Unyielding Avalanche (replaces Driving Attack)
Fighter utility 16: Shield Clamor
Fighter encounter 17: Vorpal Tornado (replaces Scattering Swing)
Fighter daily 19: Protective Sweep (replaces Thicket of Blades)
Fighter utility 22: Inspired Resurgence
Fighter encounter 23: Warrior's Urging (replaces Sweeping Blow)
Fighter daily 25: Reaper's Stance (replaces Rain of Steel)
Fighter encounter 27: Cruel Reaper (replaces Vorpal Tornado)
Fighter daily 29: Force the Battle (replaces Protective Sweep)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Magic Elderscale Armor +6, Magic Whip +6, Amulet of Protection +6, Heavy Shield, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Initiative Mod: +27

At-Wills:
Footwork Lure. +37 vs AC, 2d4+24, you shift 1, you slide target 2 squares + Slow target.
Knockdown Assault. +37 vs AC, 9 damage, Prone, slide 2, Slow.
Tide of Iron. +37 vs AC, 2d4+24 damage, push 2, Slow.
*All above powers apply -2 to hit vs one target of your choice.

Encounter Powers:
Come & Get It. Effect: Pull 2, Slow. +37 vs AC, 1d4+24. Usable 2/Enc.
Warrior's Urging. Effect: Pull 3, Slow. +37 vs AC, 2d4+24.
Cruel Reaper. *Close burst 2. +37 vs AC, 2d4+24. Effect: Shift 0-2 squares, repeat vs targets within Close Burst 2. Note that this allows you to attack each target twice, allowing for extra fun with Whip Training.
*All above powers apply -2 to hit vs one target of your choice.

Daily Powers:
Unyielding Avalanche
Bloodied Greatness
Reaper's Stance
Force the Battle

Utility Powers:
Pass Forward, At-Will.
Deliverance of Faith, 1/enc
Mighty Sprint, 1/enc
Destined for Greatness, 1/enc
Shield Clamor, 1/enc
Inspired Resurgance, 1/enc
Always Ready, 1/day

Mark penalty: -3 to attacks when you aren't one of the targets.

Opportunity Attacks:
+42 vs AC, 2d4+24 damage, slide 2, Slow.

Comments:
Basic gameplan is obvious at this point-- get your stance going, jump into the middle of everything, and start firing off your Encounter powers.

Level Progression: Under construction.

Sample Turns:

Level 7, Turn 1:
(minor) Deliverance of Faith
(move)
(standard) Come & Get It

Level 11, Turn 1 & 2
1: as L7
2: (standard) Sweeping Blow

Level 16, Turn 1 & 2
1:
(no action) Action Point, gain Resist 10 All.
(minor) Rain of Steel
(move)
(standard) Come & Get It
(standard) Knockdown Assault @ key target
2: (standard) Sweeping Blow

From here out, the pattern continues accordingly. AP on Turn 1 to be prepared for the T1 & T2 volley from Team Monster, and chain Enc powers to be a vortex from which Team Monster can't escape. If multiple bad guys try peeling away after Level 12, you just Come & Get It all over again on T2-- those guys got Slowed by your first Come & Get It, so they didn't make it very far when they tried to run.

Similarly, you want to use Deliverance of Faith on T2 every Enc (or during T1 before you have enough stances to use one every enc), which means your actual HP pool every encounter is 125% or more of the listed value.
reserved for celebrity endorsements or something.
Ceaseless Guardian?  Can't wait to see what combo makes that ED useful.
Wishlist: -Alternate ability bonuses for pre-PHB3 races -Lots more superior implements or an official customization rule -Monk multiclass feat that grants Unarmed Combatant
Ummm... OK, so why did you go Ceaseless Guardian, exactly?
Wishlist: -Alternate ability bonuses for pre-PHB3 races -Lots more superior implements or an official customization rule -Monk multiclass feat that grants Unarmed Combatant

Punishing while Dazed and Stunned is... absolutely incredible.

My question is... Why Whip? Why not just Flail?

Wouldn't it be better to just make sure you don't get dazed or stunned in the first place?  I'm pretty sure there are ways to make sure you can just ignore those conditions.  Like Coif of Mindiron, Coif of Focus, Circlet of Arkhosia, Martial Resolve, Don't Count Me Out...
None of those are nearly as 100% as this one. Except Topaz Crusader, which you could take if you gave up on Whip and instead used a Three Headed Flail >.>
@ Haplo,

Part of the idea is to be 100% free from requiring a particular enchantment. Between 'Destined for Greatness' at L12, and Ceaseless Guardian's L24 feature, this build is good to go without burning any feats or relying on any particular items.

As it happens, the 26U is also fantastic, and the build doesn't need a bump to a second stat.

@ SadisticFishing,

Whip is there to negate the 1 square dead zone, and to enable you to do THIS* to bad guys who are up to 2 squares away:

MBA = slide 2, Slow, apply -2 to hit a target of your choice.

Now... you can either use that to slide the target TO you, or you can use it to slide a target AWAY, into dead space (with you between your allies and the target). If you slide the target out into dead space when it started 2 squares away from you, it is now 3 squares removed. In order to attack you, it has to shift 1 + charge. When it charges, you get to make an OA/MBA, throwing it right back out there into that dead space.
I like it!  Glad to see the whip getting some love that isn't just a Warlord holding it and looking at it curiously.

Also, I am shocked you didn't go with some sort of cheesecake for the image.

Ceaseless Guardian is just an all-around awesome ED for defenders.  Stat boost to primary?  Thank you.  Mark punishment while dazed or stunned? THANK YOU!

Wouldn't it be better to just make sure you don't get dazed or stunned in the first place?  I'm pretty sure there are ways to make sure you can just ignore those conditions.  Like Coif of Mindiron, Coif of Focus, Circlet of Arkhosia, Martial Resolve, Don't Count Me Out...

Yes, you could invest in several items and feats to minimize your exposure to daze/stun, or you could just take CG and not care about them.
I like it!  Glad to see the whip getting some love that isn't just a Warlord holding it and looking at it curiously.

Thank you

I'm of the opinion that Whips are underrated. Some folks will look at the low damage output here and scratch their heads, but I'm willing to sacrifice 3 average damage (diff between Whip and Triple-Headed Flail) for Reach and the hit penalty imposition with a Defender.

Thank you

I'm of the opinion that Whips are underrated. Some folks will look at the low damage output here and scratch their heads, but I'm willing to sacrifice 3 average damage (diff between Whip and Triple-Headed Flail) for Reach and the hit penalty imposition with a Defender.

You also give up your multiclass feat - which is a bigger deal, in my opinion. There are some fun things to do! >.>
My MC feat slot gets me Reach and the -2 hit penalty imposition, which is a very nice bit of value.

If I went Triple-Headed Flail and wanted to use my MC feat, I'd wind up losing another feat, as well.

I'm pretty happy with it as it is-- being able to take advantage of that reach and drag monsters around was one of the main things I wanted to do when I put this together.
Yeah, makes sense, just is odd, considering how much of a damage powerhouse a fighter can be.

Glad to see it being built with less damage in mind - though it's still... strong enough :P
Nice...
What why no Whip Expert ? I know it costs another feat, but Threatening Reach 1 round / encounter is just too great to skip.

And have you considered running this as BM ?
They're great for Controller-like Defenders, and the reach and forced move of the Whip meshes very well, while they don't suffer that much from the lower W. You'd have to skip the MC Whip to get Fighter goodies, but on the other hand there are many naturally Psychic powers that you could abuse instead.
I'd say even a Chaladin would be a very interesting combo.
Nice...
What why no Whip Expert ? I know it costs another feat, but Threatening Reach 1 round / encounter is just too great to skip.

And have you considered running this as BM ?
They're great for Controller-like Defenders, and the reach and forced move of the Whip meshes very well, while they don't suffer that much from the lower W. You'd have to skip the MC Whip to get Fighter goodies, but on the other hand there are many naturally Psychic powers that you could abuse instead.
I'd say even a Chaladin would be a very interesting combo.

I looked at Whip Expert for a bit, but in the end, the clunky wording and cost of both a feat slot, and a Utility power drove me away. The wording could be interpreted to mean that the target would actually have to provoke OAs from adjacent enemies in order for you to get your OA from 2 squares away. When I see mud like that, I like to stay away from it.

This concept doesn't work as well with BM because two of the central themes are using built-up MBAs as your punishment mechanism, and using Come and Get It + Warrior's Urging to be a black hole. As you mention, you'd also lose Whip Training, which is something I really like here-- part of my mark punishment is being able to increase the target's hit penalty against other targets to a total of -5.

There's no question that a BM with whip shenanigans could do some sillyfun things, of course. They obviously wouldn't even suffer much in terms of damage (if at all), since Brutal Barrage ignores weapon dice.
Have you taken a look at Whip Expert in DSCS ? It's worded quite straight forward (and doesn't even require MC Whip.)

I suggested BM because you can easily build a black hole as well, for example using Cast The Net, and have the advantage of being able to punish multiple mobs each round, particularly once you account for repositioning with LR. And you often enough can negate the attack completely due repositioning, or force a -5 by using yourself as cover.
But that's just my 5c.
ok I must be a pervert.  My fave of yours so far!
Yeah, makes sense, just is odd, considering how much of a damage powerhouse a fighter can be.

Glad to see it being built with less damage in mind - though it's still... strong enough :P

Damage is what strikers are for.

This builds on the principles of Ultimate Defending: make a defender who keeps strikers safe so they can specialize more in damage and less in durability.  Whether a fighter, warden, swordmage or battlemind, the principle sends damage to the backseat while control gets shotgun.

A good Ultimate Defender means you can take lordduskblade's Stormwarden instead of his Trailblazer.
This build is really ... ew. Scary. Maybe it's just the picture/title. Can we call it the "Cowboy" or something instead? I'd really be more comfortable with a less ... icky title. 

In fact, in my mind, I think I will call this build The Cowboy from now on.  
Why did you go with Slashing Storm? All of your encounter powers are close bursts by level 30, so they won't trigger SS. Having to wait for the fifth round (or fourth with an action point) seems pretty rough for epic tier.
Why did you go with Slashing Storm? All of your encounter powers are close bursts by level 30, so they won't trigger SS. Having to wait for the fifth round (or fourth with an action point) seems pretty rough for epic tier.

That's a very good point. I'll adjust accordingly.
This build is really ... ew. Scary. Maybe it's just the picture/title. Can we call it the "Cowboy" or something instead? I'd really be more comfortable with a less ... icky title. 

In fact, in my mind, I think I will call this build The Cowboy from now on.  

When I saw this build, I thought of Franziska von Karma...

2273838132_33702a9db1.jpg?v=0

OBJECTION!
Well, at least I've still got my Compendium...
I am unaware @ von karma
She's from the Ace Attorney games. She's a prosecutor. With a whip. And she uses it with great gusto, even in the courtroom. Pretty much par for the Ace Attorney course, really.
Well, at least I've still got my Compendium...
Wouldn't Deadly Draw be a really good with the builds sliding and pulling focus? Perhaps that would be a solid replacement for Slashing Storm upping you DPR by increasing your accuracy instead of via Auto Damage.

Personally, I was surprised there's no Simon Belmont in here.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
Wouldn't Deadly Draw be a really good with the builds sliding and pulling focus? Perhaps that would be a solid replacement for Slashing Storm upping you DPR by increasing your accuracy instead of via Auto Damage.

I've been mulling over that and Vicious Advantage, or finding a different Epic tier feat. I think Vicious Advantage would be active more than Deadly Draw, since it seems like it would get triggered every attack.
Personally, I was surprised there's no Simon Belmont in here.

"DIE MONSTER. YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!"
Yes, I know, wrong Belmont, but you get the idea.
The Smithy Knew He'd Lost His Groove When Scalding Sparks Left His Chin Too Smooth Dwarvenshave
I don't think Vicious Advantage will work, because Hindering Shield only slows until the start of your next turn.

Because a whip is kinky!  DUH!

I love it btw.  Love the name, love the concept.  I'll have to look at it some more when i get home.

I love it btw.  Love the name, love the concept.  I'll have to look at it some more when i get home.

fap fap fap? Sealed
I don't think Vicious Advantage will work, because Hindering Shield only slows until the start of your next turn.

ahhh, quite so.

Deadly Draw or another alternative, then. The pondering continues...

fap fap fap? Sealed

Grow up.
Grow up.

Get a sense of humor?
Have you taken a look at Whip Expert in DSCS ? It's worded quite straight forward (and doesn't even require MC Whip.)

The one in question requires whip proficiency of any kind, replaces a utility power, uses a minor action, and lets you make AoOs within 2 squares of yourself until end of next turn. Straightforward indeed.

I still wouldn't take it, because you have to activate it and hope the monsters will provoke during that specific turn, and it uses up a perfectly good feat and utility slot that I could use for two other benefits.

If it let me, as a free action, make a single AoO with Threatening Reach in response to a monster's movement, I'd be potentially interested. Activating it as a deterrent sort of effect that monsters may or may not trigger... meh. Not worth a feat, utility power, and minor action. At least it's an Encounter power.
Auspex7 i have a question.  The level 30 CB summary lists the following:

Almost everything imported properly except for this.  I assume its an essentials feat.  How is it you got it to work in character builder?
Auspex7 i have a question.  The level 30 CB summary lists the following:

Almost everything imported properly except for this.  I assume its an essentials feat.  How is it you got it to work in character builder?

Click on the golden "house" shape at the top right of the feat list, type in a name, accept.

It won't do math properly, so if his defenses are correct, he prolly hand-edited them.
Yep.

Improved Defenses is an Essentials feat that I had to make manual edits around. The way it 'fits' in the editing/'accounting for' process:

I use Paragon Defenses as a placeholder. At Paragon tier, Improved Defenses is +1 over Paragon Defenses. At Epic, it scales to +2 over Paragon Defenses. Since it automatically scales, I don't mess around with retraining to Robust Defenses, and adjusting totals from there. I like to keep it simple.
Question:  Doesn't Lashing Flail only work with MBA's, not At-Will's?

Also, wouldn't a staggering whip only work with powers that slide, not MBA's?
Question:  Doesn't Lashing Flail only work with MBA's, not At-Will's?

Also, wouldn't a staggering whip only work with powers that slide, not MBA's?

You're correct that Lashing Flail only works with MBAs.

The slide 2 on Knockdown Assault comes from Dragging Flail + Battering Shield.

The slide 2 on Footwork Lure comes from innate slide 1 + Battering Shield.

The push 2 on Tide of Iron comes from innate push 1 + Battering Shield.

re: Staggering Flail-- depends on your interpretation of the way feats interact with powers. My view is that feats alter the powers to which they apply, and that you don't "slide someone with the feat"-- you slide them with a power, which is modified by a feat. Others may disagree, and say that you "slide with a feat".