Some Gamma World questions (I have the game)

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been reading through the rules and have now jumped in to creating a character.  He ended up being a Speddster as primary origin and Doppleganger for secondary origin.  I got a 18 for Dex from Speedster and a 16 for Int from Doppleganger.  

My first question is this: Speedster says I get +2 overcharge from Psi and Doppleganger  says I get +2 overcharge from Dark.  Do I get both or only the bonus from my primary origin, Speedster?

Thanks in advance!
According to p.34, you only gain the +2 Overcharge bonus for your Primary Origins.

Welcome to GW! 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I thought so.  Thanks! It is a bit confusing because in the first part of creating a character it says you get the overdrive bonus from only your primary origin and then on pg 31 under Character Statistics it says you get all traits for both origins.
As for powers, you get all 3 powers from your primary and all 3 from your secondary origins at character creation, right?
Your powers are linked to your level. Look at the "Speedster" you rolled up; the first power is "Speedster Novice", the second is "Speedster Utility" and the third is "Speedster Expert." Now look at the level chart on p.32 (or, for that matter, look at the character sheet). You get one of your Utility powers (not both, your choice of one) at level 3 and your second at level 7. You get your first Expert power (your choice) at level 5 and the other at level 9.

So your 1st level Speedster/Doppleganger would start the game with Quick Attack and Double Trouble. At 3rd level you would select either Two Places at Once or Whizzer. At 5th level you would pick Swift Pummel or Multiplicity. At 7th and 9th you would get the two powers you had not yet chosen. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Thanks! I think I just got confused flipping back and forth in the book so much.
No problem. I'm happy to help, and since I am running GW at Worldwide Game Day, this is good practice for me.
A couple more questions I've thought of: 

1) A player's deck of cards should not contain duplicates of any of the mutation cards.  What about a GM's deck though? If the players are going to be using the GM's deck can it have multiples of some cards? I'd venture to guess it is ok.

2) I remember reading last night (I read the entire book) that you can roll a check after using a piece of Omega Tech in an adventure to see if you have to scrap the item.  What is the check you have to make? Will the Omega Tech card tell you the check that must be made? On some cards I'm aware you can attempt to salvage it if you would otherwise have to scrap it after using it in an encounter. 
Step 4 on page 69 answers your Omega Tech question:

4. Check the Omega Charge: After you use an Omega Tech item, you might deplete its charge. At the end of the encounter, roll a d20 to make an Omega Charge check. A result of 10 or higher is a success, and the item retains its charge; untap it (turn it back upright) and it stays readied. A result of 9 or lower is a failure, and you must discard the card. Your origin or the environment you're in could give you a bonus to your Omega Charge check.

Personally, I don't think I'll let the players make their own Omega Tech deck since I plan to use the Omega Tech cards as the "good stuff" that players can find as loot.
1.  Under "Constructing your own Alpha Mutation Deck" pg. 66, "Your deck must have a minimum of 7 cards, and you can't include more than 2 cards that have the same name." The same goes for constructing an Omega deck.

As to whether or not the GM's deck can have more than 2?  That's up to you. I would say go for it, if a player pulls a triplicate, then simply have them redraw and shuffle the offending card back into the deck.  If you are handing them the card for inclusion into a future deck, you'll want to track who has what cards in their deck to avoid giving them a third or higher copy..

2. To expound on Doomed_Prophet's quote, Omega cards with a salvage option would use the following check progression;

Make Omega Charge check:  roll d20
      10+: Item still charged, untap
        9- :  Does player meet Salvage level requirement?
                      Yes: Salvage item or discard, player's choice
                       No: Discard
What about special maneuvers like Bull Rush, Charge, etc? The book never mentions these maneuvers so I'd assume they are not part of the core game.  What do you all think? I know that since the rules are compatible with D&D 4e, you can easily add them via D&D 4e if you like.
I'd suggest keeping a copy of the 4th Edition books around to use it to answer some of those fun bits that you KNOW players will want to do....
I'd suggest keeping a copy of the 4th Edition books around to use it to answer some of those fun bits that you KNOW players will want to do....

I plan on doing exactly this to cover those pesky grey areas, no pun inteneded.
Hi folks. I'm GMing my kids in GW for the first time this week and since you're on the subject of Speedsters, I don't understand the benefit of the Whizzer utility. It says "you become a blur as you race across the ground" the effect being "you shift your speed". OK, but does this do game-mechanics wise? Coving more ground? AC adjustment? It doesn't say in my book.
Speedster says I get +2 overcharge from Psi and Doppleganger  says I get +2 overcharge from Dark.  Do I get both or only the bonus from my primary origin, Speedster?

From the forum FAQ (if desired):
"What overcharge bonuses do you get? Stricly by (most of) the rules, you only get the overcharge bonus of your primary origin. However, WotC's online character sheet lists the bonus for both origins (and the designers previously mentioned that overcharging should be encouraged), so allowing overcharge bonuses from both origins may be an intuitive/fun option for your group."

What about special maneuvers like Bull Rush, Charge, etc? The book never mentions these maneuvers so I'd assume they are not part of the core game.  What do you all think?

Also from the forum FAQ (if desired):
"Can you crawl or charge in Gamma World? Although these options are not in the D&D Gamma World rulebook, some powers or effects utilize them, so normal D&D rules can be applied if desired"
I don't understand the benefit of the Whizzer utility. It says "you become a blur as you race across the ground" the effect being "you shift your speed". OK, but does this do game-mechanics wise?

Shifting movement doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks... so the Whizzer could use this to safely move past his enemies.

Ahhh! Thanks! 
As to whether or not the GM's deck can have more than 2?  That's up to you...,

We are using 3 Gm decks and no player decks at this time.  Although we plan to restart GW in Spring, with player decks for Alpha and Omega cards, made from 2 of the GM deck and a whole lotta booster packs.  The GM deck will use our third  GM deck and what is left of the other 2 Gm decks and booster packs.  From time to time I will go through the massive Gm deck and make special area decks for things like fighting near a psy crystal (psy), or in a poodle of mutagens (bio) or loot in a Xi outpost or Alien (area 52) space ship.