Gamma World meets Athas (dark sun)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

I just feel like there has to be some room out there for combining these two campaign settings...

although it sounds like the characters and character creation are pretty different (haven't picked up Gamma World yet) and I guess they are kinda 2 opposite views of post-armageddon.. one is serious, one is comical.. so maybe they won't mesh.... or maybe there is room to mix these two....

There is talk of "new races" that mutated/evolved out in the desert around the pristine tower and that area on Athas... so you could play a gamma world group that stumbles out of the wastes and into the monsters and sorcerer-king issues of athas... course you'd have to sort of cut back on the scarce metal thing if the gamma world players were looking for bits and pieces of rubbish and tech...

hmm... have to pick up gamma world and see if it's something that can be blended...

josh

The first thing I want to steal from Dark Sun is the idea of "survival days" as currency, and the skill challenge for getting from one place to another.

GW doesn't have either of these things. No skill challenges at all, and all economy is barter. But if you wanted to run a serious GW game -- and I do -- these two items solve a couple of problems right off the bat.

Heck, I want to make a Survival Day the basic unit of currency in GW. It preserves the barter feel while still giving me a way to measure treasure. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I always approve of the use of Favor!  And a theme may as well be an origin by another name.  
Here's what I want to know, is it possible to have Gamma World characters fight alongside 4e Dark Sun characters?

I know that sounds nuts but theoretically if Gamma World characters balanced against monsters that can be run in regular 4e (and visa versa) then shouldn't Gamma World characters and 4e characters be balanced against each other?

There's still the issue of what happens if a Gamma World Character (GWC) gets a hold of magic or if a 4e charater gets ahold of Omega Tech but the simpliest answer to that is don't allow that to happen. Omega Tech doesn't function in the hands of Magic types and Magic doesn't work for the muties.

Is this too crazy to contemplate?Undecided
Yeah, you could do that. It'd mostly work.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Actually, now that you mention it, the Dark Sun Creature Compendium is perfect for GW. At least, the Heroic Tier monsters are.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Not wanting to belabor the obvious, but Athas can be used to simulate the Desert Southwest.  The nastier parts of Athas might be more like the Sahara, Arabia, Gobi, &c.

I haven't figured out where to put the Sea of Silt in GW, but I so want to use my Jesus Lizard variant on Silt Runners.  Maybe it's called the Great Silt Lake now?

There's still the issue of what happens if a Gamma World Character (GWC) gets a hold of magic or if a 4e charater gets ahold of Omega Tech

Omega Tech will still run out of bullets/battery power/whatever.  The Dark Sun character will have a blast for a while and then it quits working.  I haven't thought about letting a GW character pick up a Bloodletting Sword and hacking away yet...

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign