New Gamma World Atlas

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was working on a post Apocalyptic atlas of the U.S. when the new GW edition was announced.  I'm going to finish the atlas geared toward the GW format.  If anyone is interested, reply here and I'll share it with you.
_________________________________________________________ Craedus - Gatherer of new GW locales for the GW Community Atlas
I'd love to see what you come up with, Craedus.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Great, I'll post when I have the first PDF ready.  Then I can email it to you for review.
_________________________________________________________ Craedus - Gatherer of new GW locales for the GW Community Atlas
I fondly remember the old TSR boxed set, that map was amazing.  A lot of areas mapped out it always gave me great ideas.  I look forward to seeing what you develop.
As someone who is graphically challenged I'm definitely interested in seeing what you come up with. 10/1 it's far above and beyond anything I can scratch up. 
Sounds great Craedus. My only suggestion would be to see about getting some input from people regarding the region they live in. For example, I'm from NE Ohio and my advice would be to make Lake Erie bigger (since right now it's eroding the shoreline at an accelerated rate).
Overall, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
@Doomed Prophet - I like that idea, getting ideas for people that life in different areas.  Right now I am getting info form the web and travel maps. 

@ everyone else: Sooooo, if you would like a certain area developed in detail (city, state, specific area) leave a post and give me some details of the area and I'll incorporate them   In the meantime I'm typing up the example region for the PDF.  Take a look when its posted and let me know what you would like to see in future maps.
I'd love to get ahold of a copy once you are finished.  Thanks for the hard work!
@Doomed Prophet - I like that idea, getting ideas for people that life in different areas.  Right now I am getting info form the web and travel maps. 

@ everyone else: Sooooo, if you would like a certain area developed in detail (city, state, specific area) leave a post and give me some details of the area and I'll incorporate them   In the meantime I'm typing up the example region for the PDF.  Take a look when its posted and let me know what you would like to see in future maps.

I've been working on a PA version of my hometown for use in Gamma World.  I don't know how much input you feel like taking, but I'm highly interested in the concept of a community-run "living" Gamma World map.
I'd love to take part in a "Living" Gamma World project too. The only main issue would be the world's back story. In my game I take more of 1st Edition and 2nd Edition view of history.

There was a nuclear exchange, taking life back to the stone age (okay stone age plus).
There are "pure-strain humans" who grew up in safe areas (underground bunkers) who have recently resurfaced and are attempting to reclaim society.

Which version of the world would the "Living Gamma Terra" be on? Or would there be more than one? For example: A post nuclear war, post environmental event, or dimensions collide.
The Big Mistake Rifts-style background leaves it open for an area, at least, to be a post-holocaust future history, or for there to otherwise be elements of the same about.   It really leaves the world so open that you could do anything with it, making a 'living GW' a little impractical.  I'd think starting with a Shadow Years future history would work better.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

If I were in charge of said project, my goal would be to create an Atlas that is as functional for as many editions as possible (that is, leaving the specifics of the Cataclysm/Mistake as vague as possible while providing as many story hooks as possible).  In all the GW content I've crammed into my reading schedule over the last two months, there's very little that absolutely requires a specific end of the world, so it really shouldn't suffer any for the adaptation.

I propose using the Gamma World group wiki for this, which apparently was the exact idea DoctorComics had, as he's dumped a bunch of content there. 

I've been working on a PA version of my hometown for use in Gamma World.  I don't know how much input you feel like taking, but I'm highly interested in the concept of a community-run "living" Gamma World map.

@FlashbackJon - I like what you have created for your hometown.  If you don't mind I'll add it to the Atlas (crediting you of course).  Most of what I have developed is for Wisconsin.  I'd love for others to develop and submit stuff for thier hometown, area or state.  It would literally save me years of writing :0

I'd have no problem adding the part of the Atlas I've developed to a community-run "living" GW atlas.

Let me know what you think!
My opinion on which edition to use is this.  Submit anything you would like to use and I'll add it as general as possible with side notes on how to use/covert it to various editions of GW.  I personally develop GW material with a different backstory than other versions of GW. 

In my world a nuclear holocuast has happen but with bio-radiation instead of nuclear.  There is less destruction of the world but more mutations...
I'd love for others to develop and submit stuff for thier hometown, area or state.  It would literally save me years of writing :0

Funny thing is I have done that over the years - but, all the published Gamma World maps show said area as being underwater.  :shrug:

When I'm running it, I just hand-wave that, of course. 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

If you are looking for a very nicely done color, layered, pdf of the map that was in 1st Ed, check out:

www.mad-irishman.net/pub_gammaworld.html

He has a great rendition of the US map.

You will want a recent version of Adobe to read the PDF cleanly.
I've had a .bmp map for about 10 years, based on the v1 and v2 maps.  It came out to 3x3 km per pixel in Paint.  Alas I can't just post it where the public can view it due to copyright issues (it's not different enough from TSR's work).

@Craedus:  Look up the Tamerthya website.  I have material there for Las Vegas and Ft Wayne IN (my home).  A friend did Colorado.  I also have some background material which is not version-specific but draws on v1 pg1.  You are welcome to link or copy my material.  I will have to warn you that the website is 10+ years old and some of the links do not work any more.

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood Elf Rogue1/Monk2, AL, inspired by "Radar O'Reilly" from M*A*S*H: Perception(max)

Alavos of Kirauma, Half-elf Paladin5, HotDQ, Warlord themed

Characters Ready-to-go:

none at present; gotta work on somebody from below !

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Tiefling (skillful ... Bard? Rogue?) - future business master (using 3e FRCS background material) and patron to beginning adventurers.

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

Thanks BRJN.  I'll take a look at the site and grab what I can for the GW Community Atlas.
Sounds interesting.
Sign In to post comments