Starship Combat Made Fun

A couple of weeks ago I ran an all day RPG event for my group and a couple of extra players and I knew the opening battle was going to be a huge starship combat. Every player (seven total) was going to in their own ship and there was going to be an additional five ships flying in support for a total of twelve ships just for the party. Then adding in the bad guys I was running I had a huge stack of ship stats that I had to keep track of. 

Brainstorming with a friend I decided to create new starship combat rules to make it easier to run and more fun for the players. Since the majority of them have played the minis game since the start it made sense to base the new rules on that system. Taking in all their character abilities and skills I started working up stats for their ships, the Seps they were fighting as well as some Imperial ships.

I based it on the original sets of minis before abilities and stats got out of hand. I started with the basic TIE fighter and worked up from there. Most of the rules follow the minis game with the exception of what targets they could pick (used the RPG rule for that) and AoO.

To make it even easier I made stat cards for everything, printed them out and everyone had their own cards to follow along. I tested it a couple of times with my friend and then ran it at the event.

It went great. The fighting was fast, the players felt that they had the same amount of choices to draw from as the regular rules and not having a huge stack of stats let me focus on the tactics of the fight and make it more dynamic.

Before the fight the players were given the the overview sheet and a range/missile/bomb card and allowed to pick a mix of six missiles or bombs that their ship carried. I explained the squadron rules and any questions that arose during the game were simple to respond to.

After the game I mentioned that anyone who had heavily invested in the pilot aspect of the game or had special abilities that they felt were missing could swap out and tweak to their liking but everyone of them seemed pleased with the entire set-up.

We haven't had a chance to game with them fighting with and/or against large capital ships but the playtesting that I have done is pointing to it being well balanced.

Below is the cards I made. The circle where normally the cost of the fig would be is used to indicate the ships speed. Some of the power names do not reflect the actual ship abilities but is a summary of other systems of character's skills that are equal-for example some ships have R2 repair that don't have that droid on the ship but reflect the same effect. The Back-Up Systems power is great because it allows the players a chance to survive past the point of  HPs but not avoid the threat of character death.

If anyone used this system please let me know how it goes and any suggestions you might have.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

CLICK ON THE ICONS TO GET MORE INFORMATION

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket