Dungeon 183 - Exploring Gauntlgrym: Jewel of the Delzoun Dwarves

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dungeon 183
Exploring Gauntlgrym: Jewel of the Delzoun Dwarves

By Bruce R. Cordell

Gauntlgrym is an ancient dwarven city, long lost and sealed away. Until now.

Talk about this Article here.

183_exploring_gauntlgrym.jpg
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

"You've got your chocolate in my peanut butter!"

Further proof that "Mechanics Pieces and Flavor for everyone" should be in Dragon, and "Adventures & how to run 'em" should be in Dungeon.

"DOOM! DOOM!"
D&DNext: HTFU Edition
a few comments:

comment #1

under the stat block for dire corby talon, wing step is a move action power that states "the talon can move up to its speed, as long as it ends its move adjacent to another dire corby."

i am confused.  i can see no benefit whatsoever for the corby using this power instead of a normal move action.  perhaps, mr. cordell intended it to read "the talon can shift up to its speed, as long as it ends its move adjacent to another dire corby."

comment #2

the corby are quite cool; however, for several reasons, i would have preferred if mr. cordell had instead used kenku.  other than alignment and vision, the two races have many similarities (flightless, avian humanoids with similar ranges of intelligence).  also, kenkus could stand to benefit from a broadening of their encounter levels, as many other races have come to enjoy.  finally, it would be great if kenkus were given a beak--but not a talon--attack, similar to the corby.

again, corbies are cool, but i, personally, would have enjoyed a broadening of kenkus.

comment #3

minor fix:  the alpha corby's shriek of doom power has a hit entry that reads: "1d12 + $12 psychic damage . . . ."  i didn't realize that the alpha corby was a rogue.  Wink

p.s., love the art, mr. o'connor.  the corby on the right brought to mind the nagpa.

p.p.s., hey asmodeuslore, you listed the wrong author.
Yeah, this feels like a Dungeon piece. One paragraph and one feat for dwarves, and then multiple pages and content and monsters for DMs. What's up with that?

I mean, I like the article, definitely. But for those who have been complaining of thinning Dragon content of late, articles like this aren't going to make them happy...

It IS a Dungeon article. It's listed as Dungeon on the calendar, it's in the Dungeon ToC, and every page states "Dungeon 183" at the bottom. What's giving people the idea that it's a Dragon article?

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

It IS a Dungeon article. It's listed as Dungeon on the calendar, it's in the Dungeon ToC, and every page states "Dungeon 183" at the bottom. What's giving people the idea that it's a Dragon article?

Steve

AL accidetnally put it in as Dragon 183.
Yeah, that's what confused me. I didn't pay any attention either way when reading the article itself - then I saw the earlier comment about it in this thread, and scrolled up to the top and saw it listed as a Dragon article, and didn't bother checking further. My bad!
loved the article, good job, best one since QBarra last month
I did the wrong author AND magazine!

Sorry guys.  I'm correcting.

Apparently, no matter how many parts of my body I replace with cybernetics, I still can't overcome that damned human imperfection.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

im looking forward to running these monsters, they can fit well with many winged creatures/minis
Great setting, cool monsters and I love the lore. I'm looking forward to using some these monsters ASAP in my campaign. Thanks!
Sign In to post comments