10/07/2010 FtL: "An Excess In Progress"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
All of these decks look fun.  However I can immediately see a way of improving the Proliferezzeret deck.  Put in one or two Energy Chambers.  They will add a charge counter every turn and you don't need to spend the four mana for Magistrate's Scepter to put it's own charge counter.

Personally, I already have a deck that abuses Magistrate's Scepter that would likely go off before this one since the parts are so cheap and requires little to no mana to run.

Also, how do you plan on attacking if you have Ensnaring Bridge out?  The only way I can see is if you wait five turns to have enough cards. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
When you start a sentence "Hmm, a card that cares about counters and tons of tokens", Beastmaster Ascension is not what first springs to mind.

Nonetheless, yay for Proliferacious Johnnytasticness. I particularly like Pentavus + Throne of Geth: that's a nice little two-card synergy to make a chump blocker and a bunch of ETB/PIGFTB triggers, even before you add Dross Scorpion.
I was waiting for this. I knew there must be some kind of degenerate, completely broken combo out there with proliferate and some card that uses counters like nothing we've seen recently. Proliferezzeret for infinite turns is the kind of thing I was expecting. The only thing that surprises me is that it uses the familiar charge counters instead of scream counters or pupa counters or something wacky like that.

I'm surprised there isn't any nonland mana generation in it, though. You need eight mana and three particular cards in play to set off the combo (GreenBuster suggested Energy Chamber, which would work, but it takes an additional card and an additional turn, which makes the combo even more fragile). If you don't want to leave your combo sitting open and exposed for a turn in which your opponent can see what's coming then you have to play the last piece of the combo on the same turn as setting it off, which would require even more mana. Even if you take your chances, you still need eight lands. Since you're playing green anyway, why not some Cultivate to get to eight mana quicker, or Pentad Prism or some other card that changes counters to mana?

Also, how do you plan on attacking if you have Ensnaring Bridge out?  The only way I can see is if you wait five turns to have enough cards. 

Why not? You have as many turns as you want without letting your opponent have one, so what's the harm in waiting?
I like the Proliferezzet deck, but UG seems an odd choice. You were just looking for an excuse to play voidslime?

Trygon Predator seems an odd choice for the deck's only creature. [CARD]Gilder Bairn[/CARD] or [CARD]Lorescale Coatl[/CARD] seem to fit better in a proliferate deck. Even [CARD]Mystic Snake[/CARD], if you're supposed to play control until your combo goes off. Or an artifact creature that Tezz/Vigean Intuition can grab that benefits from proliferate.

Speaking of [CARD]Vigean Intuition[/CARD], aren't there draw cards that are like ten times better? [CARD]Fact or Fiction[/CARD], [CARD]Tidings[/CARD], heck, [CARD]Jace's Ingenuity[/CARD]...

Another nice artifact way to reduce creature damage to you is [CARD]Forcefield[/CARD]. It doesn't even tap!

Also, I recommend replacing Thirst for Knowledge with Brainstorm. Throw a couple of Isochron Scepters in the deck for them and your counterspells. Profit!
When you start a sentence "Hmm, a card that cares about counters and tons of tokens", Beastmaster Ascension is not what first springs to mind.

Ah... you beat me to it. Also, I feel like Steel Overseer plus anything with proliferate deserves a mention here.

I was playing with Tezzeret from Elspeth vs. Tezzeret, and I landed the namesake, Contagion Clasp, AND Steel Overseer, with about 12 lands in play. Every turn was "Tap, add counters. 4, Tap, add counters. Untap both of those things. Repeat once more." It was glorious. I ran out of counters, so I had to use the store's. Then I ran out of the store's counters, so I had to use extra cards. Then I ran out of extra cards, so each creature being affected got its own large scrap of paper to write the number on. Saddest thing was I lost that game. Freaking Platinum Angel... 
Sign In to post comments