10/07/2010 TD: "Tales from the Opening Bell"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but were there 24 Primeval Titans in the top eight?  I guess it's yet another strong, irreplaceable mythic, with no good answers to it in the format.  At least it doesn't generally go into the same decks as Jace.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
The tagline should have been "this format seems to be ruled by mythics".

So, Mike, you seem to acknowledge that one insanely powerful mythic is running amok in the format. Your list of spotlight cards seems to include a disproportiante number of mythics, and those you don't mention in any great detail (Jace) are still there in force.

How 'bout a comment for the folks back home?
Yup - top 8 has average of 13.125 mythics per deck.

Even the one you might expect to be reasonably "budget", the Elf deck, actually has 14.
"Personally, I believe $50 is the roof that someone will pay for a Standard card, Mythic or otherwise." - Ben Bleiweiss, StarCity Games ----------------------------------------------------------
Ugh. great.

I'm at college currently, but if this is the way the metagame is going then FNM at home is going to suck.

As creative as we the deckbuilders can try to be, it is very hard to stop a 6/6 multi-cultivating, trampling $50 mythic, as Mr. Flores pointed out.  

Can't wait to get my face bashed in by a bunch of net-decking Spikes! Yay Mythics!

Magic Talking Heads : ".... but your rares are cheaper!"

Whatever, I'm pretty done with the party line.  Mythics are slowly breaking the game, and it's getting more apparent as time goes on.

If you do not have 4x of the staple mythic of each set, pack it in.

On the bright side, it looks like it is a good time to cash out a collection, with all the values becoming stupid high.
A couple weeks ago some people around here said that they thought a monoblack midgame aggro/control deck - basically, Vampires but without tribal effects - might do well once Jund was out of the format. I was already thinking about trying it, and this makes me basically certain of it. Doom Blade is the only card that's viable in Constructed and can handle titans at instant speed, isn't it? And I got two copies of Memoricide at the release tournament... Mono-any-color is risky in theory, but I only actually see one color-hosing card in all the decks in this article and it's Flashfreeze...

Wow, so nearly every deck is over 20% mythic. R&D might want to get a better grasp of the idea of "Awesome but Impractical". Stuff like the Legendary Eldrazi, Progenitus, Mindbreak Trap, and Mindslaver are pretty good in the right deck, but we have just a few too many $50 mythics that can fit into any deck of the right color (and then there's Vengevine, who can even fit into decks of the wrong color). Mythic Rares can be good, but not if they keep getting mismanaged like this.

Ditto prior "Woo Mythic" comments.  Also:

" Seachrome Coast: Apparently these enter the battlefield untapped even if they are your third land (write that down)..."

Really?  We didn't know that?  That was in some way confusing?
I made it 20 Primeval Titans rather than 24, but that's still a lot.

As for Doom Blade, yes it is one of the better answers to Titans but it can't kill one of them at all, and costs 4 to hit another one. As a side note, I find it amusing that many supposedly good players raved about Grave Titan but it's the only one of the five not seeing play, indeed the only one not in this top 8. Perhaps Black will improve across the block but it's nice to see Frost Titan getting played, as it was roundly mocked by those same supposedly good players.

And yeah, I really don't know what was confusing or unexpected about Seachrome Coast et al.
"Personally, I believe $50 is the roof that someone will pay for a Standard card, Mythic or otherwise." - Ben Bleiweiss, StarCity Games ----------------------------------------------------------
Ah, that's cute...an elf deck made the top 8 and a few little aggro decks made top 16.

I get ramp decks as powerful, it's hard to interact with lands in general and I think that's good...but even Flores noted what a house Ratchet Bomb is for any deck looking to hose aggro.

I really don't like that the number of viable threats for aggro is always outclassed by the huge variety of playable answers.
When a new set comes out, what gets tested hard and heavy? Mythics.

Undoubtedly, some good cards get overlooked in the rush for the next investment. Even moreso than in the days before mythics (specifically BSA).
When a new set comes out, what gets tested hard and heavy? Mythics.

Undoubtedly, some good cards get overlooked in the rush for the next investment. Even moreso than in the days before mythics (specifically BSA).

In addition what we are seeing follows the same pattern we expect to see in a set release that doesn't have a format defining mechanic in it. People will take what worked before in Standard and apply stuff from the new set here and there to either shore up a weakness or a complement it's game plan.

I'm curious to see if Mimic Vault will start showing up in lists.
I made it 20 Primeval Titans rather than 24, but that's still a lot.

As for Doom Blade, yes it is one of the better answers to Titans but it can't kill one of them at all, and costs 4 to hit another one. As a side note, I find it amusing that many supposedly good players raved about Grave Titan but it's the only one of the five not seeing play, indeed the only one not in this top 8. Perhaps Black will improve across the block but it's nice to see Frost Titan getting played, as it was roundly mocked by those same supposedly good players.

And yeah, I really don't know what was confusing or unexpected about Seachrome Coast et al.

That's because Grave Titan is a great card in a bad colour.  

IDK where you've been, but frost titan has been seeing play almost since M11 came out.   

"Apparently these enter the battlefield untapped even if they are your third land (write that down)"

WHOA.  That's pretty crazy.

"Trinket Mage for Memnite is yet another way you can re-buy a Vengevine!"

That's pretty dope.

That's because Grave Titan is a great card in a bad colour.

Granted, if we base ourselves on most recent tournament results, Black is the worst color in Standard by far ATM. But it has some things helping it climbing back, mainly that it is the only color with truly solid spot removal options. I'm confident that a control deck with Grave Titan as its wincon will emerge somewhen in the season.

IDK where you've been, but frost titan has been seeing play almost since M11 came out.

Ya, I'd say the opinions about Frost Titan he's talking about are those of the spoiler/prerelease season, because it indeed really didn't take much time for the Titan to prove itself after release.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A