Web-Based Tools: What Do You Want to Know?

156 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thead is being used by me to collect your questions about the Web-Based Tools. 

If you have a burning question, post it here, and we will be sure it gets asks.  Can't guarantee an answer, of course.

Questions so far:
1. Will these tools Replace the existing Character Builder(CB) and Adventure Tools(AT), or will they be a supplement?
yes
2. What tools will be included? Virtual Table Top(VTT)?
Compendiun and Character Builder at first. More to follow.
3. Will they be built on flash, silverlight, or HTML 5?
silverlight
4. What is the current state of development of the web based tools? Are they basically working and they are just fixing minor bugs? Is there anything working at all? Can we see some screen shots?
screen shots have been published. the char builder is supposedly ready to roll out on the 16th.
5. Can we get regular updates on progress and problems?
thats a goal WotC is working towards.
6. When will they be available?
Nov 16th for the char builder.
7. Will they require an active connection to the internet to use?
yes
8. Will there be a beta-test?
9. Will there be a demo available for non-subscribers?
10. Will the web-based tools be updated more often?  Will the updates come faster, with less lag between a book/magazine being published and getting updated to the software?
not more often, but the downtime will be almost non-existing while an update is happening.
11. Are you prepared for the load this will place on your servers?  Can you ensure they can handle the load? What if your servers go down?
WotC hopes so.
12. When someone's account expires, what access will they retain? Any files they've created? Characters/Monsters they've built?
files are retained for 12 months(at least).  resubscribing before then will restore access. no access without an active subscription.
13. If it does replace the CB, will it be able to track resources, such as Hit Points, Healing Surges, etc, similar to iPlay4e.com?
it will not track resources.
14. Will the web tools be included in the standard subscription price, or will there be an additional fee? Will there be an increase in the subscription price?
standard price
15. Will the tools be released as a bundle, or one at a time?
one at a time
16. How much access will WotC have to the user data collected by the tools? How will you address privacy concerns?
wotc will have full access, but there are no plans to use it other than tracking game play trends at this time.
17. How will data persistence be handled? Will the tools require any data installed on my system? savedata, logintools?
data will be stored on the wotc servers.  the only thing installed locally is the silverlight client (~13 mb)
18. Will any of the tools allow for shared use? Such as a VTT allowing the entire party to participate with a single account?
not at this time, but it is planned for a future update to allow this.
19. Will it be possible to use the tools with more than one IP at a time? Such as a VTT on the PC and the compendium on the laptop?
currently, nothing prevents this.
20. Are there any plans to offer an API?
21. What Operating Systems and Browsers will be supported? Will the tools be accessible via smartphone browsers? What about tablets/iPads?
any OS and browser that supports silverlight will be supported.  Currently that means windows and macs, but not iPads or smart phones.  WinPhone7 may offer support.
22. What export options will there be for characters, monsters, and other items created with these tools?  XML files? PDF Files?
no export will be available at launch. the ability to print the characters to paper or PDF files will be available at launch.  The export ability will be one of the first features to come with the next round of updates.
23. Who is working on this project? Is it the same dev team that created the CB, or are new people being brought in?
24. If the CB is replaced by the web-tools, will a refund be offered for people who wish to cancel their subsciption?
Customer Service will have to answer this.
25. Will Dark Sun support be available with the web-tools?
yes
26. If the CB is replaced, will the last updated version still be available for subscribers?
yes, for a limited time.
27. How will we be notified about updates to the Web-Based tools? Will the new email system be used, or is there some other process?
28. Is this the cool thing that the VCLs hinted at before?
most of it
29. What benefits are you hoping we will enjoy most from the Web Tools?
cross platform support
30. Will characters created with the Offline Character Builder be usable by the web tools?
yes, as long as they aren't house-ruled.
31. If the CB is going web based, will it still have the same filtering abilities as the Desktop version?
not at launch, but this is planned for a future update.
32. Will we be able to alter magical items? 
no house rule support will be available at launch.
33. Will we be able to add House Rule feats and powers, or other elements?
no house rule support will be available at launch.
34. Will we be able to save data(characters, monsters, etc) to your servers, so we can access them from anywhere?
yes.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

If it does replace the CB, will we be able to use it to track resources usage, such as changes in HP, surges, and powers? Something akin to iplay4e.
Given the assumption that this will require an active sub to work...

Is there an estimate of the monthly cost for the new tools?
Let me see, what else whould be good to know?

• Will we see each tool released at a time, or are they planing to release a bundle of tools?

• Will there be an increase in subscription prices, like we have seen one before?

• How much access will WotC have to the data we feed those tools with(privacy)?

• Will these tools require any data installed on my system (savedata, logintools)?

• Will an DDI Account include shared login for those tools only usefull while all partymembers are online simultaniously (VTT for example is rather useless if not everyone in the party has access to it, or is rather expensive if they all need a subscription 12 month a year)?

• Will it be possible to use those tools with more than one IP at the same time? (Lets say using a VTT on my PC and the Compendium on my Laptop)

So much so far, might be more comming.
D&D Outsider since Nov 18th 2010, if you wonder about the little red dragon, this one is dedicated to the great VT community.
Are there any plans to offer an API? There is the beginnings of one for the Compendium but lacks a few things such as easy authentication. Will the new tools allow third party API access?
This thead is being used by me to collect your questions about the Web-Based Tools. 

If you have a burning question, post it here, and we will be sure it gets asks.  Can't guarantee an answer, of course.

Questions so far:
1. Will these tools Replace the existing Character Builder and Adventure Tools, or will they be a supplement?
2. What tools will be included? Virtual Table Top?
4. Can we see some screen shots?
10. Will the web-based tools be updated more often?  Will the updates come faster, with less lag between a book/magazine being published and getting updated to the software?
11. Are you prepared for the load this will place on your servers?  Can you ensure they can handle the load? What if your servers go down?
12. When someone's account expires, what access will they retain? Any files they've created? Characters/Monsters they've built?
13. If it does replace the Character Builder, will it be able to track resources, such as Hit Points, Healing Surges, etc, similar to iPlay4e.com?
14. Will the web tools be included in the standard subscription price, or will there be an additional fee? Will there be an increase in the subscription price?

My guesses on how they will answer these:

1) Replace, obviously.
2) VTT? maybe for 6th edition
3) It will be built on something else, something proprietary and buggy.
4) You sure can, as soon as we release it you can take all you want. As long as you pay the monthly fee. 
5) Oh Yeah, we will be sure to let you guys know about everything. After all, that is the way we do things around here.
6) We are shooting for December. 2011.
7) Yes. The program will require a minimum of 8Mbps connection to function properly.
8) Absolutely. It will be a closed beta, it will start in November 2011 and continue for about 6 months after release.
9) But of course. Unfortunately, it will only cover Essentials characters.
10) Web-based tools will be updated more often. More often than compared to Aug-Oct 2010.
11) Oh come on, of course we bought new servers. You guys act like we don't think things through around here.
12) Expired accounts will have all data retained on our servers for when you decide to give us more money. Monsters you create using the web-tools will most likely be used in our published adventures and books.
13) Functionality of the web-based tools will be on par with our previous efforts at web-based tools. We hope to eventually increase this so that it runs as smoothly as our customer service.
14) If we can find a way to make it an additional fee, we will.  
To put it simply...

Just tell us what is really in the works, straight up. All of it, tell us what you are working on.

These delays followed by vague announcements aren't encouraging me to stay with DDi. They're encouraging me to walk away so I don't have to deal with the frustrations anymore.
Will webtools be updated the same as the CB, will it be the same as the Compendium, or will it use its own schedule, and possibly have content faster than CB?

Also,

CB had an update per month per account limit - will a technique similar to this be applied to the webtools to limit account sharing, and if so how will it allow for players who might have 3-5 web-enabled tech devices that they would want to use concurrently (e.g. laptop, smartphone(s), desktop(s), plus netbook/ipad)?

^^ I know several DM's who would run multiple tools on multiple different computers at the same time for reference or use during games.
I've got a question to add to the list, please.

Will you be able to access the web based tools via smartphones?

Thanks!
Thank you Asmodeous. #1 is obviously the most important question to me. I do not DO NOT want to lose access to my CB offline.

Note: I am not a subscription shuffler, I subscribed for the year, and will continue to do so - But online only character builder will be a BIG deal breaker for me.
I_Roll_20s @twitter. Not always SFW. I may prefer 4e, but I will play and enjoy almost any edition, and indeed almost any table top RPG, with my friends. Down with Edition Wars. Shut up and roll your dice. :P
I've got a question to add to the list, please.

Will you be able to access the web based tools via smartphones?

Thanks!

By the time the tools are released, you won't have smartphones, we'll have devices that let us beam thoughts directly into other people's minds.

Another question for the list:

"Will there be an XML export option?"
New quastion...

If I am due to renew DDI in october, and on that day no info has been shared, and it renews then at sometime you announce you will no longer be suppourting or updateing the builder...can I cancle and get a refund for the time left on my service?

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

my only questions ...

did you manage to employ some competent people to actually implement this idea?

is this another PR push to market a product and sell a product that might be usable as advertised but was not promised to be able to do anything and only mentioned as a future concept? (please see the back of my PHB)

sadly going back to my first question.  previous attempts at tools have ended in utter failure. if you cant make a tool that works offline, how do you expect to make a more complicated online tool?
That list you have covers all the main ones I had AL. Thank you.
Updated.

Questions so far:
1. Will these tools Replace the existing Character Builder(CB) and Adventure Tools(AT), or will they be a supplement?
13. If it does replace the CB, will it be able to track resources, such as Hit Points, Healing Surges, etc, similar to iPlay4e.com?
16. How much access will WotC have to the user data collected by the tools? How will you address privacy concerns?
17. Will the tools require any data installed on my system? savedata, logintools?
18. Will any of the tools allow for shared use? Such as a VTT allowing the entire party to participate with a single account?
19. Will it be possible to use the tools with more than one IP at a time? Such as a VTT on the PC and the compendium on the laptop?
21. Will the tools be accessible via smartphones?
22. Will there be an XML export option? (I assume this means for characters and monsters created?)
23. Who is working on this project? Is it the same dev team that created the CB, or are new people being brought in?
24. If the CB is replaced by the web-tools, will a refund be offered for people who wish to cancel their subsciption?

Will it have a smartphone version that I can actually read? 

Are they actually adding new tools or just changing the ones they already have? 

Thanks AsmodeusLore.  Yes, regarding my question on XML export, for me it does mean characters and/or monsters created and could even mean items created too if that is offered.
Thanks for making this list. Most of my questions are on there having skimmed it.

It'd be nice to get an actual WotC rep in here to field questions or, alternatively, release an Ampersand column like they used to do for us Insiders. :/
My pleasure.  I'm hoping to get answers to some, if not most of these by the end of the month.  We'll see how much progress I make.

Possibly to replace the "xml export" question:
How will data persistance be handled?  How will data sharing be handled?

Will a hypothetical character builder have an "export PDF" capability?  Or will it rely on browser printing?

What is the official list of supported browsers?  Do you anticipate problems with newer versions of browsers? (or will this, like many corporate apps I've had to use through the years, be limited to IE 6?)

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

an additional question:

If this new web tool is a replacement for the current offline tools (CB or AT) will the old offline tools remain available for people to download if they had a subscription when they were available in case a computer malfunctions etc?

Also

If this is a replacement tool, would they consider having the offline tool available for members with longer subscription periods than 1 month (IE: If you have a 1 mos subscription you only get the online tool, if you subscribe for a 3 month or a 1 year term you gain access to the offline tools as well)
I_Roll_20s @twitter. Not always SFW. I may prefer 4e, but I will play and enjoy almost any edition, and indeed almost any table top RPG, with my friends. Down with Edition Wars. Shut up and roll your dice. :P

Questions so far:
17. Will the tools require any data installed on my system? savedata, logintools?
21. Will the tools be accessible via smartphones?
22. Will there be an XML export option? (I assume this means for characters and monsters created?)

Will it have a smartphone version that I can actually read? 

Are they actually adding new tools or just changing the ones they already have? 

Ok, I happen to work with a software development firm, so I know that this is a much more loaded question than it appears to be. "Smartphone" support = iOS compatibility, Android (1.5-2.2 currently) compatibility, WebOS compatibility, Symbian compatibility, and Blackberry compatibility, combined with the full range of resolutions that those devices utilize. So while I'm sure they will test for functionality on as wide a range of products as possible, I am also sure that they will focus on iPhone4, Blackberry Torch and Android 2.2 (Evo 4g, Droid 2, Droid X), and slowly adding support for other phones as they get some arbitrary number of requests for that particular form-factor.
Where was the official announcement about web based tools?

Here.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

From Trevor's post in DDI Announcements:

Hey all. We are currently in the process of developing a new web-based tools system for D&D Insider which has factored into recent content update delays. We will continue to provide D&D Insider members with additional information as our progress develops. In the meantime, we are back on schedule to provide members with our regular content updates.

October 2010 Tools News

The 12 OCT update is for the Character Builder and Compendium. Monster Builder will be updated at a later date.

Data Update:

Data from the following published materials are new this month to the Character Builder:

Books

Psionic Power

Magazines

Dragon # 389

Dragon #390

Dungeon #180

Dungeon #181

Data from the following published materials are new this month to the Compendium:

Books

Psionic Power

Dark Sun Campaign Setting

D&D Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands

Magazines

Dragon #389

Dragon #390

Dungeon #180

Can I get an email letting me know when all the threads made about the new webbased tools dies down, and the nerd rage and rampant over posting stops?

And then an email when all the complaining does?

Thanks.

Better, yet, can we just have a news subscription service that will email me all important WoTC news about their products, so I don't have to come to the forums unless I've been kicked in the head by a horse, or possibly a donkey. Mule would be acceptable too.
My pleasure.  I'm hoping to get answers to some, if not most of these by the end of the month.  We'll see how much progress I make.

Have you been given some sort of indication that they're willing to provide answers?
Forgive the pessimism but you seem a tad optimistic given their inclination for silence.

My two cents. Buy what you want with them.
Better, yet, can we just have a news subscription service that will email me all important WoTC news about their products,

I am trying to get something worked out with WotC for DDI stuff at least.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Better, yet, can we just have a news subscription service that will email me all important WoTC news about their products,

I am trying to get something worked out with WotC for DDI stuff at least.

That would be nice, thank you Mudbunny.

on the topic at hand

Many of our questions are revolving around the idea of losing offline tools, which many of us find worrisome for various reasons.

Some people don't want to have to maintain a subscription, some people just don't want to lose access to offline tools due to personal reasons (I'm in this camp), others are concerned that whatever format they use won't be compatible with their browser/OS or will just plain be buggy and suck.

If we knew what the plan was for this "online tools system" we could have a more rational discussion (don't laugh) about what it means for DDI.

I understand WotCs potential position on "doing the subscription shuffle". I think there are ways around it that don't punish long term subscribers (see my second question above about offline tools for long-term subscribers) by denying them access to a very usefull tool.

With the recent (and long term) dissapointments of DDI (CB delays, bugginess of adv. tools, promised tools on launch day being so much vaporware) the uncertainty is creating an atmosphere of fear and mistrust - Which just makes your jobs harder dear VCLs.

I, for one, appreciate the effort. I just hope that when the news hits of what this online tools system actually is that it makes me say "Wow! I'm glad I'm a subscriber!" and not "Wow! So there goes my CB program...screw this."

What??!! I thought wotc always made it easy to find info on DDI.
I think a lot of the worry about the CB may be unwarranted.  If they really wanted to stop the "subscription shuffle" they could simply require a log in to the offline tool.  It already checks online for updates.  Why not have a login that is required every so often to keep the program activated.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

I think a lot of the worry about the CB may be unwarranted.  If they really wanted to stop the "subscription shuffle" they could simply require a log in to the offline tool.  It already checks online for updates.  Why not have a login that is required every so often to keep the program activated.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

One that is emailed to you at the start of the month "Here is your code for the month of October, remember you can only use this on 5 computers during this update session."

It could work, and would be reasonable.
I don't think a whole new system would be required.  Don't you think it would be more elegant that the software activates for a month every time you enter your username and password to receive an update, and in the event of a missed update by WotC, you just get prompted to log on for another month's worth of access.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:

I don't think a whole new system would be required.  Don't you think it would be more elegant that the software activates for a month every time you enter your username and password to receive an update, and in the event of a missed update by WotC, you just get prompted to log on for another month's worth of access.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen

oh, but what about all of those poor people who only subscribe 1 every quarter? Those poor poor people... :D

Then they could use the software for that month they were subscribed.  My heart bleeds for them the rest of the year.  Really, it does.  Want to see?

Oh, and I have this for them...

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:

What??!! I thought wotc always made it easy to find info on DDI.

Case in point, on why to avoid the forums.

They didn't make an announcement about web based tools specifically, they offered it as an explaination as to why the updates were so late. So not so much an official announcement, but a hint included in a different (though related) subject.

So there isn't any official announcement, just a mention in an other announcement.
That's one thing I don't get.  Why do they not give monthly reports on what DDI is doing like they used to.? If they wonder why people are so negative on their forums its because they have caused that divide by not keeping people in the loop.  They made it so they don't have to tell us what we are working on which means they don't have to keep to any kind of deadline.  There really is no incentive to do more than keep status quo.

Here we are creating whole scenarios out of "web-based Tools system" which was posted in a forum instead of the wizards.com site .  
That's one thing I don't get.  Why do they not give monthly reports on what DDI is doing like they used to.? If they wonder why people are so negative on their forums its because they have caused that divide by not keeping people in the loop.  They made it so they don't have to tell us what we are working on which means they don't have to keep to any kind of deadline.  There really is no incentive to do more than keep status quo.

Here we are creating whole scenarios out of "web-based Tools system" which was posted in a forum instead of the wizards.com site .  

They have told us why, ad nausem. They have told us for two years why. Because they screwed up really bad, and want to avoid that again. It's that simple. Which I guess is why some people have a really hard time accepting it, and have to invent all sorts of other darker reasons and call them names.
I'm going to take a bit of a firmer stance on this than I usually do.  Consier this an ultimatum. 

If you have a question you want answered about the Web Tools, post it here.
If you have anything else to say, take it to another thread.

Talk about the tools, speculate, spread rumors, make requests, make suggestions, apologize for posting in the wrong place, lavish me with praise, offer me bribes... whatever you want.  Do it all.  Just do it somewhere else. This thread is for questions (and answers) only.

Thank you.
The question list has been updated.

What I would really like to know:

What is the current state of development of the web based tools? Are they basically working and they are just fixing minor bugs? Is there anything working at all?

Since they figured out that finishing the web based tools in a reasonable amount of time is beyond their capabilities, will they at least make sure that we get a character builder update with Essentials/Dark Sun within the next month? Or did they figure out that it is too difficult for them to put this in?

Ceterum censeo capsum rubeum esse delendam