Encounter 1-3 Treasure

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to be running my table through both Encounter 3 and 4 tonight, since next week I'll be out and as of this week we're going to be adding a fourth table already.  So which means they'd need to try and recruit another DM, or someone run a late session.  So me running them back to back is easiest.

[sblock Spoiler]
Anyways, one of the treasures for this encounter is a level 2 Magic Implement.  The only implement user I have in the group is the pregen Wizard.  Since I'll be wanting to dive straight into the next encounter from this one.  What are some recommendations for an Implement for him to receive?

I'd like to just give him 2-3 options he can pick from, instead of having to search through books, or put off the item until after the 4th encounter.

As much as he's using Magic Missile... I think Staff of Missile Mastery is top choice right now.
[/sblock]

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

I'm going to be running my table through both Encounter 3 and 4 tonight, since next week I'll be out and as of this week we're going to be adding a fourth table already.  So which means they'd need to try and recruit another DM, or someone run a late session.  So me running them back to back is easiest.

[sblock Spoiler]
Anyways, one of the treasures for this encounter is a level 2 Magic Implement.  The only implement user I have in the group is the pregen Wizard.  Since I'll be wanting to dive straight into the next encounter from this one.  What are some recommendations for an Implement for him to receive?

I'd like to just give him 2-3 options he can pick from, instead of having to search through books, or put off the item until after the 4th encounter.

As much as he's using Magic Missile... I think Staff of Missile Mastery is top choice right now.
[/sblock]

Great question.  I need to take it one step further and I need help!

spoilerey stuff

I do not have access to the premium online content.  And the only books I have (with magic items, at least) are PHB I and Heroes of Fallen Lands.  The wizard uses an orb.  Is there a single level two implement in the books I own?  I think I'm just going to have to give her a +1 orb (level one item) unless someone has a better idea?

Show
I'm going between:
  • defensive staff (+1d8 crit, +1 to NADs)

• staff of missile mastery (great bonuses when using magic missile)

• staff of fiery might (+1d8 fire crit, daily to enhance fire power)

I don't really like daily powers much for DDE, since it's so focused on the encounter, and we have a lot of players who don't play week-to-week. But the dailies for the staff of missile mastery and staff of fiery might are simple to use and match up well to particular powers (magic missile and fountain of flame, respectively).

Given the frequency with which magic missile is used now, it's going to be hard to pass that one up, although the extra damage bonus won't matter when it's used as a minion-killer.

gold_piece I sent you a message with one.

Show

I sent the Staff of Missile Mastery, its from Adventurers Vault along with Defensive Staff

Staff of Fiery Might come from PHB though (and hasn't had any errata).

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Just a reminder...

Players are limited to Essentials+ content...

Which really sucks as the HotFL implements are levels 1 and 3.

Another note...

While the art had the Wizard holding an Orb, the actual character wields a Staff and has Staff Expertise feat.

And therein lies the rub ...

[sblock=spoilers]... there are no level 2 implements in the HotFL Essentials book. So that means I default to the plain ol' Player's Handbook. Since there will for sure be a cleric in the party I'm going with the lvl 2 Symbol of Life (pg. 237)
Couldn't we just replace a level 2 magic implement with a level 2 magic item? 

And therein lies the rub ...

[sblock=spoilers]... there are no level 2 implements in the HotFL Essentials book. So that means I default to the plain ol' Player's Handbook. Since there will for sure be a cleric in the party I'm going with the lvl 2 Symbol of Life (pg. 237)

Show
The symbol of life is a waste, though, other than its daily power, as the Essentials cleric has no implement powers, to my knowledge.
We're going with Defensive Staff at our table.

Adventurer's Vault. Page 104
1d8 crit
Property: +1 to Fort Ref and Will

It's also (according to the Essentials Update document) a COMMON item, so I think it's totally appropriate.
It's also super-easy to use at the table. Nothing to track.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
you are right Occam, they use thier weapon as implement ... hrrrrmmmm ...

Just a reminder...

Players are limited to Essentials+ content...

Which really sucks as the HotFL implements are levels 1 and 3.

Players are limited (for character creation); it says nothing about DMsWink
It is the player who gets the item.

It is the player who chooses what it is.

Not the DM.

We currently only have Essentials+ for player source... (The level 1 and 3 magic implements)

If you wan't to argue that players aren't limited to the player source for anything other than character creation, I do have a homegrown level 2 implement I would love to use in your game...

That said, until we get official statements to the contrary, we know what the player source is, and we know that the players may only choose things from player source.

Now that the Strict, By the Rules, answer is done...

Yes the DM can choose to ignore the limitations and allow what ever they want.
Is there anything usable in the Red Box?  That'd be fair game.
Here are the Red Box Magic Items...

+1 Magic Staff (level 1)

+1 Lifedrinker Greataxe

+1 Darkleaf Leather armor

+1 Amulet of Health

Bag of Holding

+2 Chainmail armor (level 6)

Potion of Healing (level 5)

I'll add the levels for the other items later...
Here's something to consider.

Character CREATION is limited to Essentials.

No such limit was placed on treasures.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
And our store is constantly growing in player numbers, adding a new player or two to the mix pretty much every week.... and we are running without the above limitations.

Seems to work very well for us.  New players are picking up the essentials materials (as well as PHB3, etc.) and the store is generating revenue. 

Everyone wins (almost) more players, more sales, more gaming.  The only ones that 'lose' are the Fanatics worried about making everyone else run 'Strict, By the Rules'.   

For the 30+ years I have been playing D&D, the rules (as written) were ALWAYS 2nd place to the DMs rules.... and I don't intend on changing that now.
Since the item never game up in the encounter and it was just a magic item laying around as opposed to something they had to fight against to get I made it an level 2 magic item and left it up to my players to decide.  I didn't like the idea of it beign limited the way it was and saw no reason for it.
Our DM just gave us the level 3 Orb of Insurmountable Force instead of a weaker (L1) item or digging through AV to find something appropriate. It was an easy call to make at the time since one of our two regular Wizards is an Orb Expert / Enchanter, and the power is really pretty meager, so it's not like getting an L3 item instead of L2 was a huge bump.
It is the player who gets the item.

It is the player who chooses what it is.

Not the DM.

Now that the Strict, By the Rules, answer is done...

Yes the DM can choose to ignore the limitations and allow what ever they want.

Just curious, where did you get the idea that the player gets to choose the magic item? Yes, the player recieves the item, it is however the DM who is supposed to be running the adventure and thus deciding what treasure is placed in the encounter. Everything I've ever read has said the DM is to determine what items are to be put into his encounters and that he may want to get a "wish list" from players, but that it is DM's responsability to determine what items are included and which get left out.

I decided to go with the Missle Mastery staff, I recomend just using the compendium on-line if you have access to it for deciding what items to give, but always try and be aware of what your players are using and what they may be looking for.
Because the module says 'Level 2 Implement (player's choice)' or something similar...
ah, I see your confusion. The module simply states "and a level 2 magic implement"

So, it is not a player choice and is up to the DM to choose and award to the players.
The 'Player's Choice' is based off of all the other public play (such as Living Forgotten Realms) where a +2 Magic Implement becomes a +2 implement of the player's choice of type (i.e. staff, dagger, ord, etc.)

By leaving it to the Player's choice... it allows whichever caster gets the item to actually pick something useful for their character.  By the DM determining it is a staff (in your example) it essentially limits even further those players that may be interested in using it.
Yes, BUT, other public play (ie, LFR) is a setting where every player gets an item at the end of the session. And, the writers have to account for a wide variety of characters who will be playing each adventure. With encounters, it is generally hoped that the DM will have some knowledge of who the characters are (hopefully, the players keep returning with the same character). For example, I chose the staff because I have a returning player who plays the pregen Eladrin Wizard who is a staff wielder. Makes perfect sense to have the staff as the magic implement in my case. Of course, I've also seen a dwarven mage who wields a war-hammer, so it would be better for a character like that to have a wand or orb if I were to pick one for him. (He's only been to two sessions so far, so he'll have to claim a different magic item.) Most of the groups I've played with in the past two seasons have been consistent with who the players were. There was some fluctuation of people who had to miss a session vs. those who came just for one or two to see what it was like. Maybe I'm just a lucky one though...

Our tables have been fairly consistent... about 2/3 tables remain stable with enough rotating to make up another table.

If your players are happy with you picking/placing an item (or don't know otherwise) then go for it.  Me, I let the player pick.. it made the guy rather excited and he went through a number of books to make a decision for the next week.  None of the items would unbalance anything, and this gave the player a big sense of involvement.  me, I couldn't care less which one he picked

So, in our events... everyone was happy.  That is, afterall, the only reason to be running encounters.... to get people familiar with the game and to have fun.

Sign In to post comments