Please Lock Forum

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would like to request that this forum and sub-forums
be locked (read-only) because the Official LFR Forum
is another forum. This will help to complete migration.

community.wizards.com/lfr/go/forum/viewb...
Uunless these forums have a link readily visible to direct people over to the group forums it will only cause problems.  These are the RPGA forums, the official LFR forums are not the same.  LFR is RPGA but RPGA is not LFR only.
Blah blah blah
Uunless these forums have a link readily visible to direct people over to the group forums it will only cause problems.  These are the RPGA forums, the official LFR forums are not the same.  LFR is RPGA but RPGA is not LFR only.

I agree that there should be some sort of link to the new forums.
I think one of the sticky messages has the link in there already.

I am not suggesting we close down all of the RPGA forums,
but rather just the old campaigns. Probably Living Greyhawk,
Xendrik, Mark of Heroes, and Green Regent can be closed too.

Does the RPGA actually exist anymore?  It's certainly not the brand that WOTC is using for D&D Encounters or game days, and it's been a while since "RPGA numbers" turned into "DCI numbers" and Tulach's "RPGA Report" column became the "D&D Play Report" (and quite some time since Tulach even mentioned LFR in that column, but that's a separate issue).

Sure, you can find the name still showing up on orphaned web pages on the site or referring to a previous time period (e.g., the "RPGA Report Archive"), but it seems to have been quite some time since Wizards has used the name for any current events.

Does the RPGA actually exist anymore?  It's certainly not the brand that WOTC is using for D&D Encounters or game days, and it's been a while since "RPGA numbers" turned into "DCI numbers" and Tulach's "RPGA Report" column became the "D&D Play Report" (and quite some time since Tulach even mentioned LFR in that column, but that's a separate issue).

Sure, you can find the name still showing up on orphaned web pages on the site or referring to a previous time period (e.g., the "RPGA Report Archive"), but it seems to have been quite some time since Wizards has used the name for any current events.

I am pretty sure the RPGA died in this article.

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

RPGA Called D&D Events

On the new site, our D&D Organized Play area is called “D&D Events” rather than “RPGA.” For someone new to our site and our programs, the word “RPGA” doesn’t have much meaning to them -- heck, it means “Roleplaying Gamers Association," which in and of itself is a bit outdated. Certainly, veterans know what the RPGA is and use the term to mean “Wizards’ official D&D Organized Play." But that doesn’t help someone new, so we’ve updated the site to call the pages “D&D Events," which is much clearer to a visitor that doesn’t associate the RPGA with Wizards of the Coast.

On a broader scale, the Wizards Play Network (or WPN) is our umbrella where all of our game play programs reside. Whether it’s Friday Night Magic or Living Forgotten Realms, all of those programs are a part of the WPN. An organizer schedules games and interacts with us through the WPN, and while players often identify themselves as a part of the DCI or RPGA, that’s all a part of the Wizards Play Network. You’ll see us use the WPN more and more as the organizational term to mean “official Wizards play."

Honestly, I can never find the new forums, and until there's an easy way to navigate to them I don't think these forums should be closed.

If you click on the Forums button, then click RPGA, then click Living Forgotten Realms, you're brought here.

If you really want to migrate to a different forum (I'll be honest I didn't understand why the move was needed), then you should make it so that it goes to the new forums instead of here when you navigate to LFR.
The way activity for programs is tracked is by looking at the people who post to the specific groups (aka the LFR group counts for LFR). By posting to these legacy/generic foums it doesn't get auto-recorded as counting for LFR, so we don't get any "credit" for you when it comes to budgets, staff, etc... Because of that, all the staff for LFR will pretty much be focusing on the LFR forums and only looking at these legacy forums occassionally.
The way activity for programs is tracked is by looking at the people who post to the specific groups (aka the LFR group counts for LFR). By posting to these legacy/generic foums it doesn't get auto-recorded as counting for LFR, so we don't get any "credit" for you when it comes to budgets, staff, etc... Because of that, all the staff for LFR will pretty much be focusing on the LFR forums and only looking at these legacy forums occassionally.

Thanks for the note, Skerrit. It sounds like the globals would prefer it
if all the LFR forum traffic would take place on the official LFR forums.

What can be done to lock this forum and redirect to the new forums?

Eheh, it's only been about six months since people started to use the new forums regularly. Keeping the old ones open a LITTLE while longer can't hurt much.

But one of the reasons for the switch isn't just tracking - the LFR admins don't have direct access over the forum controls here.

To get these forums shut down and put into archive mode, it would require a request be put into the Wizards web team, and they would get around to doing it whenever. Given the glacial speed they've displayed in the past for making requested changes, well, even if the request were put in today I would not expect to see any alterations for quite a while.

-k
LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
To clarify, I don't think most people care about this forum location over the other one.

What *is* important, IMHO, is that it can be easily found.  Currently, when I browse for LFR (Forum button -> RPGA -> LFR), I'm brought here.  Forums go'ers, by default, are going to end up here.  They're just going to get confused if you lock it.

How about we ask WotC to change it so that you can easily navigate to the new LFR forum?  So that if you browse for it (as above), that you end up at the new forum instead of here?

Because honestly, I have the hardest time trying to find the new forum.  If I'm having a hard time, I can only imagine what it's like for new players.
Hmmm, if you are only interested in forums, then this location is fewer clicks, BUT if you are interested in the news/blogs, the Group is more useful and the same number of clicks.

Instead of clicking on Forums, click on Groups.
The third largest Group is LFR and can be clicked at that point. (If you enter LFR as a search criteria, it then moves LFR Group to the top of the queue.)
Clicking on the LFR Group immediately lets you see if there are new posts to the Blog (by the Global Admins, aka what is new and hot info) and if there are new posts to the LFR Group Forums and Wikis, by scrolling further down that same page.  So two clicks, and you get that insight.

Yes, you do have to relearn, look for "Groups" rather than "Forums."  If any gamer is challenged by that change, then they are likely totally bewildered by the 4e change to Essentials. Embarassed

I think WotC would like to see the RPGA brand disappear or become rarely used.  In that environment, will gamers know under Forums, that the RPGA icon is what they want?  I see it becoming a piece of obscure history. (Not saying that I like that outcome.)

Keith

Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Hmmm, if you are only interested in forums, then this location is fewer clicks, BUT if you are interested in the news/blogs, the Group is more useful and the same number of clicks.

Instead of clicking on Forums, click on Groups.
The third largest Group is LFR and can be clicked at that point. (If you enter LFR as a search criteria, it then moves LFR Group to the top of the queue.)
Clicking on the LFR Group immediately lets you see if there are new posts to the Blog (by the Global Admins, aka what is new and hot info) and if there are new posts to the LFR Group Forums and Wikis, by scrolling further down that same page.  So two clicks, and you get that insight.

Yes, you do have to relearn, look for "Groups" rather than "Forums."  If any gamer is challenged by that change, then they are likely totally bewildered by the 4e change to Essentials.

I think WotC would like to see the RPGA brand disappear or become rarely used.  In that environment, will gamers know under Forums, that the RPGA icon is what they want?  I see it becoming a piece of obscure history. (Not saying that I like that outcome.)

Keith

That's all fine and good for people who know that the wizards site is structured by groups. However I'd say that the majority of internet users, who visit the site, have never been to the Wizards site before or if they have it was to look up basic info, and see a link to forums will use that link in preference to a groups link, given that forums are by and large the standard way for communities to communicate. (This is a personal observation from several MMOs, and other RPGs/CCGs).

Corwynn has it right IMO. The link for forums should be fixed to point to the active forum not a defunked brand/forum. Or alternately another link be set up to send people to the LFR forums if they're looking for LFR.

As it is the easiest way for me to get to the LFR forum when I sit at a new PC is to use forum link to here then use the sticky post to the LFR group. I had never even thought to look for the LFR group until reading the above post. Groups are just not a common way of communities communicating (IMO).

Of course this whole issue is out of the control of the Community reps and the moderators so this whole thread is largely a futile exercise.
Yes, you do have to relearn, look for "Groups" rather than "Forums."  If any gamer is challenged by that change, then they are likely totally bewildered by the 4e change to Essentials. Embarassed

Asking people to "relearn" something doesn't seem like a good idea.  Especially since new players aren't even aware that they should be searching for groups instead of forums.

As Benird mentions, people are going to look for "Forums".  They don't know that in reality "groups" are also a different kind of forum.

It's true that /we/ can't do anything.  But I'm assuming that our global admins can ask WotC to redirect the link to the other "group forum".  They do seem to be in contact with the WotC forum maintainers.

Asking people to "relearn" something doesn't seem like a good idea.  Especially since new players aren't even aware that they should be searching for groups instead of forums.

As Benird mentions, people are going to look for "Forums".  They don't know that in reality "groups" are also a different kind of forum.

It's true that /we/ can't do anything.  But I'm assuming that our global admins can ask WotC to redirect the link to the other "group forum".  They do seem to be in contact with the WotC forum maintainers.

This is the gist of my request. Hopefully, someone can enact relevant change.

Would it at least be possible to unsticky the outdated threads?

For example, "LFR CCG 1.99 ... draft copy has been released"
is out of date and does not need to remain as a sticky thread.

This request holds for all three of the legacy LFR forum areas.