[Encounter 1-1] Dawarf & Net Drag power

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone

I'm a humble DM for KotB here in Italy. Last week we played session 1, as the materials didn't arrive until last friday (no comment about that).

The following day we played with great enjoyment and we all thought this season is much more promising than the previous two. But... something came up during the game and I'd like to share it with you and listen to diverse opinions on the matter.

The Greenscale Trapper was fighting alone against the dwarf (a male one, as the player objected very much to the female, which I thought was quite lovely instead). The Trapper suceeded in the use of its power, "net Drag", and consequently had the dwarf immobilized. Then, the creature tried to pull the dwarf in the prison pit. OK, the dwarf has the Stand Your Ground trait, so he can ignore 1 square of forced movement. But the Trapper could move 6 squares and move the dwarf with it for 5 squares. When it got to the pit, the dwarf had the opportunity to save, as it happens with every forced movement, and fall prone. The DMG says though that "A DM can allow a power that pushes a target more than 1 square to carry the target completely over hindering terrain.". In this scenario, the dwarf shouldn't have been allowed to save and was therefore thrown in the pit. The player insisted that the character could save.... we discussed it a little and the for the sake of the game I ruled that he could save (which he did).

What's your opinion? I still think I made a bad call in allow the player to save, even though the players at the table tended to agree with him.

Thanks!

The Trapper suceeded in the use of its power, "net Drag", and consequently had the dwarf immobilized. Then, the creature tried to pull the dwarf in the prison pit. OK, the dwarf has the Stand Your Ground trait, so he can ignore 1 square of forced movement. But the Trapper could move 6 squares and move the dwarf with it for 5 squares. When it got to the pit, the dwarf had the opportunity to save, as it happens with every forced movement, and fall prone. The DMG says though that "A DM can allow a power that pushes a target more than 1 square to carry the target completely over hindering terrain.". In this scenario, the dwarf shouldn't have been allowed to save and was therefore thrown in the pit. The player insisted that the character could save.... we discussed it a little and the for the sake of the game I ruled that he could save (which he did).

What's your opinion? I still think I made a bad call in allow the player to save, even though the players at the table tended to agree with him.

I interpret the DMG to mean that a push of more than 1 square can carry the target over hindering terrain, as in, right through it, instead of the forced movement coming to a halt at the terrain. The equivalent in this case would've had the dwarf thrown across the pit, not into it. I think the table made a good call.
if the dwarf is in the net, he is immobilized and doesn't really have a way to keep himself from falling into the pit, therefore no save.
Occam is correct, right before the section on moveing the target over the hindering terrain it says "Targets forced into hindering terrain receive a saving throw immediately before entering the unsafe square they are forced into. Success leaves the target prone at the edge of the square before entering the unsafe square." I would say moving the target completely over the hindering terrain is a secondary rule. The move into hindering terrain triggers the save, if the save succeeds, the forced movement ends, if it fails the forced movement may continue. Alternatively, to be moved completely over the hindering terrain could be read as "not passing through it" thus having no ill effects and allowing no save. either way, I'd say "no" to forcing players to fall into the pit.

Regardless of the rules, your job as the DM is to make the game fun as well as challenging for the players. Allowing the save at least gives a chance for success or failure, the characters fate is determined by the die. That's much more exciting than simply being thrown into the pit. My  trapper was slowed, so I only got to drag them 2 squares, thus I had to use the trappers minor action to kick the knight into the pit. I allowed the save, though my player failed and ended up at the bottom, luckily haven taken only 1 point of damage from a really lame d10 roll.

I'd say you made the right call, if for no other reason than the players were having fun and the game kept moving.

ps. We got our module late as well, so we are only on the second encounter this week ourselves.
Thank you for your answers.

@crimsom_vampr, I totally agree with you when you say that fun is the most important thing at the table! I'll just edit what you wrote adding that it's not only the DM's job, but also the players'!

I see that there are different opinions, as well as with the DM friends I asked! Still, the rest of the session went smoothly and judging from the fact that ALL the players confirmed their participation to next session I gather we had fun!