10/05/2010 LI: "Very Proliferic"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I think you're underestimating Trigon of Infestation. I would rate it as high as the Trigon of Corruption. It's really insane. While it's not as targeted as the Corruption, it does give you a win condition and cheap chump blockers, whereas with the Corruption you only alter the board state very slowly.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I think you're underestimating Trigon of Infestation. I would rate it as high as the Trigon of Corruption. It's really insane. While it's not as targeted as the Corruption, it does give you a win condition and cheap chump blockers, whereas with the Corruption you only alter the board state very slowly.

Corruption is actually quite good, due to the tons of creatures with either one power or toughness. 
For me the Trigon of Corruption is the best of the Trigon's, followed by Green, Red, Blue then White.
Good article. On-theme for the week, on-topic for the column, the kind of roundup that'd be pointless in a couple of months' time but is a good read at the moment.
Nice article.  Proliferate has definitely been one of my favorite mechanics in this set because it can do so many things.

I opened an Inexorable Tide during the prerelease (along with a Throne of Geth) and found it to be really good.  It may even be better in draft where you can get a larger number of proliferate cards and cards that use counters.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
For me the Trigon of Corruption is the best of the Trigon's, followed by Green, Red, Blue then White.

Like most people, I would at least invert the red and green ones here.  The red one is even better than the black one in Infect decks and in very aggressive decks, perhaps making it the overall better card in my book, but not by much. The black one is also insane but it's not agressive and it's a tad slow for certain contexts. The green one is good too, but far behind the first two. It really isn't for all decks and all matchups. If you're not playing Infect, the tokens are extremely slow and easy to stop as a win condition, and while they are very good blockers in most matchups, they're useless when facing evasion.

Oh, and of course, the blue and white ones are nearly unplayable. The blue one's too slow, and straight lifegain always sucks, even more with Infect around.

My own order would be Red, Black, Green, Blue, White.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
I played with Trigon of Infestation at the Prerelease and was very under-awed. It seemed like every time it came out it either sat there not doing much cause I had better things to do with my mana, or it created at best a marginal improvement on the board. The 1/1s simply weren't durable enough, even with infect, to have much impact as blockers, and never got through as attackers. This was in a deck with two Contagion Clasps (cards I was much happier with), mind you. The red and black trigons both seem significantly better.

Edit: I think it helps to realize that without proliferate, you/re paying 10 mana for 3 1/1s with wither.  If you have a Contagion Clasp, you're paying 6 mana for each extra dude. That just doesn't seem worth the mana investment to me.
During my first draft at the Scars prerelease I opened Lux Cannon and decided to have some fun and go for a proliferate deck. Here's what I eneded up playing:

Land:
12 island
5 swamp (for sideboard options and to charge my trigon)

Creatures:
Corpse Cur
Darksteel Juggernaut
Leaden Myr
Neurok Replica
Riddlesmith
Scrapdiver Serpent
screeching Silcaw x2
Soliton x2
Thrummingbird x2

Other Spells:
Culling Dias
Heavy Arbalest
Inexorable Tide
Lux Cannon
Necrogen Censer x2
Steady Progress x3
Stoic Rebuttal
Trigon of Corruption

I knew it wasn't the best deck, but I figured with Inexorable Tide, the steady progesses, and the thrumming birds, I'd have some fun trying out proliferate.
Games 1 and 3 I got a lot of the proliferate cards, but not enough things out to benifit from it, but in game 2 things hit full stride and I had out lux cannon, plus the tide and the trigon. After wiping all nonland permantents from my opponents field, my opponent scooped.

My next draft I finally got the contagion clasps I needed for the first draft and ended up building a very strong infect deck that won me the draft. It was fun poisoning people to death, but not as fun as Lux cannoning things and almost proliferating a gunslinger to death via a poison counter he put on himself.
Speaking of the new Icy: yesterday I've been busy dying by the unholy alliance of Prototype Portal + Tumble Magnet. You don't even need to add prolific stuff to make your opponent cringe very soon.