Your Votes Will Create This World!

160 posts / 0 new
Last post
I haven't tried this in a long time, so lets see how it goes.  I will post 10 world hooks, and you will vote on them.  I will leave the voting open for as long as there is interest, and then the highest vote wins.  Then, with the winning hook, I will come up with another question to be voted on.  I will adhere to the winning vote. I will only vote if there is a tie.  Okay, lets start with Round One, the Hook:

1)   It is a grim world where is there where magic and the gods passed away long ago, the people struggle to survive, and adventurers seek some answer to restore the world to the glory of the past.

2)   It is a fantastic world where magic is everywhere, and everyone knows at least one spell.

3)   It is a world where giants are the dominant race, and the lesser races try to survive under their rule.

4)   It is a world without gods, but their children (the Scions) rule in their name.  They live on the World itself, and they have divived up the world between them.  Some are Good, some are Neutral, and some are truly Evil.

5)   It is a world where dreams really do come true.  Dreams, Fantasies, and Nightmares roam the lands and take physical form.  The souls of Men go to the Realm of Dreams when they sleep, and sometimes their souls don't come back. 

6)   It is a world of sorcery and science.  Warriors fight wizards in magicallt powered mecha suits.  Magically powered zepplins criss cross the oceans.  Giant metallic giants walk across the lands carrying their cargo.  Dwarven engineers control their steam powered railroads, and the track tracks extend into places unknown...

7)   It is a world that really is story.  The people are unaware that they are part of a story, and world is in the shape of a book.

8)   It is a fragmented world that is divided along the lines of Light, Darkness, Balance, Chaos and Order.  The people of this world are in a constant state of war.

9)   It is a world that was destroyed in an epic battle between light and darkness, and the gods remade the world.  The world is brand new, but the people still remember the fate of the first world.  The Gods have told them that they will not remake the world again.

10) Its not just one world, but 9 worlds connected by a giant tree...
6.  Always a good time.
To err is human. To fail a Fear save is unforgivable! IMAGE(http://statcdn.worldoftanks.com/comcom_v2/uploads/signatures/wotuserbar04.jpg)
6.  Always a good time.

Harsgault, thanks for the vote and Girl Genius link. I will check that out...Smile
10 sounds like the most fun. 
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Pushing for a Viashino Planeswalker and Ugin!
Honestly, 5 sounds the most interesting.

Nothing.

That is all.

#2 sounds most interesting to me.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
i'd run five just for an excuse to make up morpheus' character stats!
The Voting so far...

#2   *
#5   **
#6   *
#8:  
#9:  
#10: *

Needless to say, one vote per person, and I will keep this open as long as you Good People are voting.  BTW, Ladypants, I did check around the Net and there are lots of dream gods, but the Greeks have the most.  Of course, I would picture Morpheus as Laurence Fishburn, due to "The Matrix". 
3)   It is a world where giants are the dominant race, and the lesser races try to survive under their rule.

Mostly because I like Giants (as a DM and to kill as a Player). 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I'd go with 5
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Pain is a sensation. Sensations are to be enjoyed. I am in ecstasy.

The voting so far...

#2   *
#3   *
#5   ***
#6   *
#8:
#9:
#10: *

So far #5 is in the lead.  As long as you vote, this will stay open.  I will call this Round 1.  Once a hook is selected, then I will come up with 10 more choices.  It will probably be about religion, but that depends on the hook.  So far, so good : )

Mostly because I like Giants (as a DM and to kill as a Player). 

BTW, do you like killing players, with Giants, as a DM? Surprised
Not really, they manage to do that themselves.  I'm working on a Against the Giants conversion right now

the giants one, but only if theyre mountain sized
~
I Like #3, not because Giants are Awesome monsters but because it would make a very interesting Role Play Assuming the players are into it.
I vote for #5
#6.

You had me at steam-powered magic mecha. 
7)   It is a world that really is story.  The people are unaware that they are part of a story, and world is in the shape of a book.

So long as there was just one Deadpool type person in your world who could break through the fourth wall and know they're in a story.
I like #6
The voting so far...

#2   *
#3   ***
#5   ****
#6   ***
#7   *
#10 *

All right, so far #5 is in the lead, and #3 and #6 are tied for 2nd place.  I want to keep Round 1 open for at least a week, so everyone that wants to vote is able to tie.  In case of a tie, I will settle it with a die roll. HOWEVER, because its a tie I will try to incorporate the losing # into the winning hook...as much as possible.  It has been very interesting so far...
5)   It is a world where dreams really do come true.  Dreams, Fantasies, and Nightmares roam the lands and take physical form.  The souls of Men go to the Realm of Dreams when they sleep, and sometimes their souls don't come back.
1, 5, 6, or 8. Probably 5 though, but I could see it getting out of hand (i.e. If people dream to be rich, then there's a huge influx of money, and then inflation kicks in, etc)
1, 5, 6, or 8. Probably 5 though, but I could see it getting out of hand (i.e. If people dream to be rich, then there's a huge influx of money, and then inflation kicks in, etc)

Scourge, I hate to be a stickler, but I need you to pick one of the hooks so I can count your vote.  Sometimes things getting "out of hand" is a good thing : )
Reviewing 5, think Forbidden Planet (the Creatures of the Id).  Might be better suited for a juant to the Far Realm rather than a full campaign

The voting so far...

#2   *
#3   ***
#5   *****
#6   ***
#7   *
#10 *

OK, I added Angorath's vote for #5, but I really need ScourgeXLVII to reply back and let me know which one he wants to vote for.  To MWSAber, you could be right, but if #5 wins Round 1 then that is the hook I will go with.  In other rounds, I will expand on that hook, so I hope you keeping voting and offering more feedback.  I think that the Dream Realm and the Far Realm could be all related somehow... 

All right, I will give Round 1 one more day, and then the voting will be over.  Right now #5 is in the lead, so please spread the word to your friends if you want a different result.  Round 2 will start the shaping of this world...
Another for #5.  Always had the cool idea of nightmares emerging from peoples dreams and running rampant across the planes.
I vote #5.

Anything else I feel is more or less covered by the other three published settings for 4e so far.

Possibly #7 as my second choice. I think that would fit into #5 well, "Oh we're in a world where dreams are real...what about lucid dreamers?! Where's the fourth wall?! AAHH!"
The voting so far...

#2 *
#3 ***
#5 *******
#6 ***
#7 *
#10 *

Two more for #5, so if this trend continues then it will be “a world where dreams really do come true”, but we will wait until tomorrow. Maybe there will be a surge of voting overnight.
I vote #5.

Anything else I feel is more or less covered by the other three published settings for 4e so far.

Possibly #7 as my second choice. I think that would fit into #5 well, "Oh we're in a world where dreams are real...what about lucid dreamers?! Where's the fourth wall?! AAHH!"

Oh yeah, I can see how a world of dreams #5 and a world that really is a book #7 can go together.  As far as lucid dreams go, that will definately happen.  If #5 wins then there are endless possibilities with it.  I can see special rituals just for dreamers, and I can see players physically entering the Dream Realm.  It will be fun, no matter who wins : )

AND THE WINNER IS...#5!!!!!!!!

#2   *
#3   ***
#5   *******
#6   ***
#7   *
#10 *

With seven votes, the winning hook is a World of Dreams, where Dreams, Fantasies, and Nightmares come true.  I have a lot of ideas about this world, but the whole point of this thread is that YOU will create this world with your VOTES!  I think it is time to start Round II...

ROUND II:  WHAT ABOUT THE GODS?

OK, Good People, now we will decide how the gods will be handled in the World of Dreams.  This is always an important decision that will shape this world.  Here are 10 choices:

1-nothing divine exists

2-none (but maybe a Force exists that resembles a god)

3-monothestist, 1 supreme god

4-two gods

5-several gods, 3 or more

6-a limited pantheon of gods, about 12

7-several pantheons of gods, dozens

8-hundreds of gods

9-thousands of gods

10-millions of gods

There we are.  Also, feel free to submit the names and types of gods & goddesses that you want in this world.  I know Morpheus was mentioned, and that is OK with me.  In fact, I was kind of counting on Him being in this if #5 won.  I will leave up to you to decide how he fits in.  Actually, most of Earth's myths have some sort of dream deity. 

Just like Round I, I will leave this open as long as the votes come in.  Please vote early and vote often...the last part was a joke...just one vote per person please...Smile

I vote for #2. Departing from the core pantheon, but not going as far as Dark Sun. 

I think there should be a "force" (maybe the unified subconscious of all the dreamers?) that controls and governs the dream world normally (come on, we know we are all going to mess this place up know matter how it looks!) and has exarchs like Morpheus and his Oneiroi siblings, Phantasos and Icelus for example.

~ROUND II~

The Voting So Far...

1-nothing divine exists
2-none (but maybe a force exists that resembles a god) *
4-two gods
8-hundreds of gods
9-thousands of gods
10-millions of gods

Thank you, Nykrothane, for casting the first vote of Round II.  That is an interesting idea, and it would allow Morpheus and his Oneiroi siblings, like Phantasos and Icelus, to have a place there.  I have no doubt that the Oneiroi family will play a huge part in the dream world.  There is also an Egyptian dream god that protects dreamers, but I forget his name.  Keep voting!!!!

I vote for 9- thousands of gods.

~ROUND II~

The Voting So Far...

1-nothing divine exists
2-none (but maybe a force exists that resembles a god) *
4-two gods
8-hundreds of gods
9-thousands of gods *
10-millions of gods

Right now I am waiting for my clothes to dry, so I have time to focus on this.  Thank you, PowerAttackForTwenty, for casting the second vote.  This would give it a Hindu feeling...

i'd go with 7, several pantheons. the player in me loves variety in gods, especially with my propensity for clerics. but the dm in me panics at the thought of trying to make up any more than that. i would nerd out and make gods for all of the endless in the sandman comics. death, destruction, delerium, destiny, desire and of course morpheus.
2-none (but maybe a force exists that resembles a god)

I also vote for having Morpheus (and the other Endless if you like) as a force that resembles a god rather than actually being a god (although the distinction between the two really depends upon how "divine" and "god" is defined).
~ROUND II~

The Voting So Far...

1-nothing divine exists
2-none (but maybe a force exists that resembles a god) **
4-two gods
7-several pantheons of gods, dozens *
8-hundreds of gods
9-thousands of gods *
10-millions of gods

Angorath, thanks for the vote, and you are right about what constitutes a "god".  Interesting question...

Ladypants, thanks for the idea about the Sandman comics, and the Endless.  No matter who wins (except for #1 but so far no votes at all for that option) there will be a place for them.  It would be very cool to have god-like beings like Death, Destruction, Delerium, Destiny, Desire and of course Morpheus.  Of course,,,they will be included.  I will probably look over Neil Gaiman's Sandman series for inspiration.  Maybe there are Sandmen in this, like a new race?  This is all good...Smile

From Wikipedia:
The Endless (Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium) are a group of beings who embody powerful forces or aspects of the universe in the DC comic book series The Sandman, by Neil Gaiman. They have existed since the dawn of time and are thought to be among the most powerful beings in the universe. Dream is the main protagonist of the series, but all of the Endless play major roles.

The Endless are a somewhat dysfunctional family of seven siblings. They may appear in different forms, but usually have light skin and black hair, with the exception of redheads Destruction and Delirium. Their appearance can change to fit the expectations of others. When asked by Marco Polo if Dream is always so pale, the Dream King replies, "That depends on who is watching."

The Sandman- Endless Nights Poster by Frank Quitely.jpg

10 would certainly apply but we'll vote for

#9!

With dreams defining the world by coming true there could be limitless divine beings so created or empowered further by each dream so touching them.
To err is human. To fail a Fear save is unforgivable! IMAGE(http://statcdn.worldoftanks.com/comcom_v2/uploads/signatures/wotuserbar04.jpg)
I don't know which I vote for. I definitely like the idea of the Sandman aspects in there; that definitely fits. I'm a little rough on my Gnosticism, but doesn't that (admittedly broad and varied) cosmology function like there's one 'God' who is actually a servant of the Demiurge or something?

An interesting spin for this setting, and one that I personally have never seen and that's never even been fully attempted, is that you have your typical gods (Tiamat, Bane, Pelor, or whatever) but there are these aspects, these Demiurges (see Psionic Power for the epic destiny too! I can see this dream setting be psionic-heavy in a way far different than Dark Sun) that hold sway even over them. I don't know how that would trickle down to be relevant to the PCs, but still
Sign In to post comments