Star Wars Wed.

FYI,

I've started a feature called Star Wars Wednesdays over at my website, www.sterlinghershey.com . The subject matter and amount will vary from week to week, but will often be gaming related. The first week featured the free Stat Pack - Maps of Mastery I, with stats for 12 ships and vehicles that appear on Christopher West's (Maps of Mastery) first 3 poster maps and first 2 terrain card packs.

Sterling Hershey
Star Wars RPG and Minis freelancer
D&D Freelancer
www.sterlinghershey.com

Sterling Hershey

Dungeons & Dragons Freelancer

Star Wars RPG and Minis Freelancer

www.sterlinghershey.com

Follow me on twitter as silverforce77

Awesome! Way to keep the game alive.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Would you like to help build the D&D 5e forum community?
You can start by introducing yourself here.
Cool. Thanks for the heads-up.
Thanks Sterling. Now Wednesdays will be great days.
Garrett
The Star Wars Saga Dawn of Defiance Podcast THREAT DETECTED is here! threat-detected.com IMAGE(http://www.obsidianportal.com/images/banners/op_banner1_468x60.png)
Nice!
Glad everyone is enjoying it so far.

This week stays with the ship and vehicle theme, with a vehicle stat block cheat sheet to help adjust stats on the fly, and full vehicle sheet/worksheet for your own vehicles.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

That starship cheat sheet is just what I need for my next DoD session. Thanks Sterling.
Garrett
The Star Wars Saga Dawn of Defiance Podcast THREAT DETECTED is here! threat-detected.com IMAGE(http://www.obsidianportal.com/images/banners/op_banner1_468x60.png)
Change of pace for this week's Star Wars Wed., as my starwars.com blog Delusions of Grandeur hits post number 200.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

This week's Star Wars Wed talks about Star Wars Minis, my Assault on Intran convention game at KC Game Fair and how to participate at home before the convention through Brak Sector Skirmishes. 

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

This week covers star wars rpg and minis fan sites and website resources.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

This week covers some starship questions generated by my earlier posts.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

Sorry for the late posting here. This week gets into opening crawls and sound effects.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

This week I've posted a free adventure, complete with pregenerated characters - 3,720 to 1 features the Unknown Regions and Scavenger's Guide to Droids, along with meterial from other books. I  talk about the format I use when creating my own adventures and pregenerated characters for con or home use.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

Thanks, Sterling! I only glanced over the adventure, but it certainly does look nice and concise. And I really like the way you've formatted it. The pregen characters are good too (I have a personal preference for landscape sheets, but I still like yours). I just wanted to point out that you left off the "half speed" penalty for being 4 steps down the condition track on the sheets.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

For a future Star Wars Wednesday, would you consider making some stats for things like species, droids, and vehicles that were made into miniatures but not included in any rpg books?  Tsurr and Chevin in particular come to mind. 

Also, thank you for taking the time to do these articles for the community.
For a future Star Wars Wednesday, would you consider making some stats for things like species, droids, and vehicles that were made into miniatures but not included in any rpg books?  Tsurr and Chevin in particular come to mind. 

Also, thank you for taking the time to do these articles for the community.

Sure, I'll take a look at them. Can't give you an exact time frame, but ideas for future posts are wlecome.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

This week I talk about adapting adventures to whatever edition you're playing. I got the idea from a question from barefoottourguide, asking about adapting my old Talnar's Rescue OCR/RCR adventure to Saga. I included my suggestions in this post. You can find it here.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

Sorry, didn't get last week posted here.

Last week wasn't specifically gaming related: Kershner and TESB

This week IS gaming related (if a bit late in the day): Handouts and Fonts

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

• Blank Datapad (this featured a blank datapad frame used in many d6 products, which dressed up generic handouts and messages)

• Rebel and Imperial message forms

• Wanted poster (fill one out featuring one of your player’s characters and see the reaction when you drop it on them unexpectedly)

• Planet log (with map and technical data)

• Astrogation chart (use this with the Star Wars Atlas and the Unknown Regions)

• Starport Log (map, fees, owners, services)

• System Map (good for exploration games and the Unknown Regions)

• Starship Log (see my starship sheets entry for something similar for Saga Edition)

• BoSS Licenses (Bureaus of Ships and Services)

So all of this stuff came with the d6 gamemaster's screen? I'd love to get my hands on those items, so I'd like to know where to start looking.

~ David G. Allen

• Blank Datapad (this featured a blank datapad frame used in many d6 products, which dressed up generic handouts and messages)

• Rebel and Imperial message forms

• Wanted poster (fill one out featuring one of your player’s characters and see the reaction when you drop it on them unexpectedly)

• Planet log (with map and technical data)

• Astrogation chart (use this with the Star Wars Atlas and the Unknown Regions)

• Starport Log (map, fees, owners, services)

• System Map (good for exploration games and the Unknown Regions)

• Starship Log (see my starship sheets entry for something similar for Saga Edition)

• BoSS Licenses (Bureaus of Ships and Services)

So all of this stuff came with the d6 gamemaster's screen? I'd love to get my hands on those items, so I'd like to know where to start looking.

You can start here: www.amazon.com/Star-Gamemaster-Screen-Ed...

I may do some similar handouts in future posts, but I don't know when.

Sterling

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

This week is a few thoughts on the current "who's got the license" rumors and discussion.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

This week is a few thoughts on the current "who's got the license" rumors and discussion.

I like your comments. I agree with you. It's going to take a real novel idea to get a new Star Wars RPG series going.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

You can start here: www.amazon.com/Star-Gamemaster-Screen-Ed...

I may do some similar handouts in future posts, but I don't know when.

Thanks.

~ David G. Allen

Late but worth it - this week's Star Wars Wed - Unlikely Allies - features an update on the RPG rumors (nothing really new) and a free KOTOR adventure complete with 6 pregenerated characters.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

Cool. Thanks, Sterling! Happy holidays to you too!

~ David G. Allen

I never knew about this. I just downloaded & printed Unlikely Allies, set in my beloved KotOR era!!
Thanks, you lot! Sterling keeps the faith.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
I never knew about this. I just downloaded & printed Unlikely Allies, set in my beloved KotOR era!!
Thanks, you lot! Sterling keeps the faith.

Hey, a free adventure and some PCs with interesting build notes and character sheet layout! Is it Christmas already?
Thank you Sterling. Hey, design the new SWRPG, and we will follow you, sir.
Garrett
Thanks Garrett.

This week, I step back from game discussion to talk a bit about collecting and posters.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

The module was a bit short, but I completely LOVE the characters! Great background, great build and yet leaves space for more input if needed to them!

Would it be possible to get the layout of the character sheets? They are amazing.
The module was a bit short, but I completely LOVE the characters! Great background, great build and yet leaves space for more input if needed to them!

Would it be possible to get the layout of the character sheets? They are amazing.

Thanks. Are you looking for blank sheets to fill in, or something in particular about the sheets?

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

This week is the Chevin species, as requested earlier in this thread. Of course, you'll also have to read through my thoughts on the creation process...

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

Chevin Species Traits
Chevin share the following species traits:

Ability Modifiers:
-2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution. Chevin are naturally tough, but not agile.

Large Size:
As Large creatures, Chevin take a -1 size penalty to Reflect Defense and a -5 size penalty to Stealth checks, and they gain a +5 size bonus to damage threshold. Their lifting and carrying limits are double those of Medium size.

Speed:
Chevin base speed is 4 squares.

Thick Skin:
Thanks to their tough hide, Chevin are naturally resistant to many forms of physical damage.  They gain a +1 natural armor bonus to Reflex Defense and Damage Reduction 2.

Scheming:
Chevin are opportunistic, always seeking advantages over their opponents. As a standard action, a Chevin that makes a successful Perception check against a target’s Will Defense may then reroll one subsequent Deception, Perception or Persuasion skill check (except Use the Force) against the same target until the end of the encounter, but must take the second result even if it is worse.

Automatic Languages:
Chevin and Basic.

Age by species
(usually listed on a table in the book, we’ll use the Ultimate Alien Anthology version): Child 1-12, young adult 13-18, adult 19-155, middle age 156-211, old 212-256, venerable 257+

Nice. Thanks, Sterling! I, for one, look forward to seeing what over species stats you might be able to cook up.

Regarding Ganga Lor's speed - I noticed that when I ran DoD I a while back. I reckon the author (Rodney?) just looked at the RCR UAA entry and misread 10m as 10sq.

As for the "Scheming" species trait: I personally don't go in for abilities that require micromanagement, but I think it's balanced enough. I think it might be better worded thusly, though: "A Chevin can make a Perception check against a target's Will Defense as a standard action. If successful, the Chevin may reroll one subsequent Deception, Perception or Persuasion check against that same target before the end of the encounter. He must take the second result even if it is worse."

Did you include the bit about Use the Force so as to exclude Chevin with Force Persuasion, Force Perception and/or Force Deception?

~ David G. Allen

Fantastic entry, Sterling. Thank you for walking us through the process. Could you do a Kowakian monkey-lizard? Would it be beast or species?
Garrett
Did you originally word the Chevin's reroll ability as something like "any Charisma-based skill check"? Cause that mention of UtF reads really weird if it isn't an artifact of editing.
Chevin Species Traits

As for the "Scheming" species trait: I personally don't go in for abilities that require micromanagement, but I think it's balanced enough. I think it might be better worded thusly, though: "A Chevin can make a Perception check against a target's Will Defense as a standard action. If successful, the Chevin may reroll one subsequent Deception, Perception or Persuasion check against that same target before the end of the encounter. He must take the second result even if it is worse."

Did you include the bit about Use the Force so as to exclude Chevin with Force Persuasion, Force Perception and/or Force Deception?

While that's an interesting take on Use the Force, unfortunatley, it just slipped through from an earlier version, and should have been deleted. (An example of my line about "editing" in the original post.) I kept rewriting that trait because it's difficult to come up with a creative way to essentially make a character smarter or more clever simply through mechanics that doesn't end up being a static stat bonus. Those are fine, but I was going for something more dynamic in play, and not too restricted in use.

Anyway, I initially tried to for something that applied across the skill list in general, but didn't want the bonus/ability to affect Force use. But it wasn't really working out. Don't ask me exactly what it was, I kept rewriting it in place, trying out a number of ideas, so I don't remember now.

This version does become a bit fiddly, with the tracking. It's one of those things that might be ok for a player, but a GM running several might not make the most of during an encounter.  However, since it's really more likely to be used outside of combat, that helps a bit.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

Fantastic entry, Sterling. Thank you for walking us through the process. Could you do a Kowakian monkey-lizard? Would it be beast or species?
Garrett

My initial thought is beast, but I'll look at it for a future entry.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

Did you originally word the Chevin's reroll ability as something like "any Charisma-based skill check"? Cause that mention of UtF reads really weird if it isn't an artifact of editing.

Basically, there was a form that crossed more skills and I didn't want to boost UtF.

Including all Charisma skills except UtF isn't terrible, but I didn't really want to include Gather Information because I was thinking this was more fore one-on-one charcater interaction, whereas Gather Information can be used more generally across many different characters over a longer time.

However, an argument for all Charisma (minus UtF) skills would be simplification of the entry. A bit.

Sterling Hershey

www.sterlinghershey.com

While that's an interesting take on Use the Force, unfortunatley, it just slipped through from an earlier version, and should have been deleted. (An example of my line about "editing" in the original post.)

I wondered about that.

Garrett

My initial thought is beast, but I'll look at it for a future entry.

Perhaps the monkey-lizard could be done like the mantellian savrip - so a beast but one intelligent enough that it can be played as a PC species with heroic classes.

~ David G. Allen

I just want to play a kowakian monkey lizard. Is that so wrong?
Garrett
I just want to play a kowakian monkey lizard. Is that so wrong?
Garrett

Yes. ;)

~ David G. Allen