Boo The Ghostrager: Goliath Barbarian Ghostwalker

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

The idea for this build is that it is an item independent high defense barbarian that still has pretty good DPR.  It all comes together at level 11, but the character is fine before then.  The key to the build is that it gets combat advantage most of the time through Deadly Draw (CA when slide enemy next to you) combined with the monks Centered Breath Technique (slide enemy as free action 1/enc) and Savage Reach (at will barb attack slide 1).  He also has polearm flanker so he can get CA when attacking non adjacent targets more easily.  I also tried to take powers like Thunderhawk Rage and Ancestral War Band Rage that knock prone or otherwise increase the chance of getting combat advantage.  If I went with the Gladiator theme I might switch out the level 6 utility since that one also grants CA once an encounter, but that is not in the CB yet.  (note you could skip most of this using wintertouch/lasting frost and a cold weapon, but I did not want to be that item dependent or come up with another frostcheese build)

All of this CA is to key off the ghostwalker level 11 feature Of Two Worlds, which grants concealment whenever you have CA and when you are missed while you have CA you can shift 1.  At level 12 he has AC of 30 (10 +6 level +3 hide +3 enchant + 1 hide spec +1 hafted defense +4 dex +2 barbarian agility), but that increases to 34 against any enemy he has CA against through concealment and the Defensive Advantage feat.  At level 30 his AC is 50, 54 with CA.  Boots of the fencing master would up his AC/reflex another +1 after the shift from being missed and great cat armor adds another 1 to the shift when missed at late paragon. 

He still has decent DPR, mainly through accuracy. He uses a Halberd (which if I understand the axe expertise feat right is 1d10 brutal 1, does the axe expertise feat work with implements for his two PP powers?) with the goliath greatweapon damage bonus, starts with an 18 strength and takes basic barbarian attacks and feats.  He can hit with the Tormented Spirit, but I figure he would mostly use the movement technique combined with a barbarian attack.  Vengeful ghost (level 20 attack) is a decent attack power and he would use that each day.  Also the action point feature of weakening enemies you hit with the action point seems like a good thematic fit for a giant ghost barbarian.  He also has decent control and will be sliding and teleporting enemies a couple times each encounter.  If he has used swift charge already, he can teleport at least one square through Ride The Spirit (depending on items, it could be 2 or more) and will have CA against any enemy he teleports next to. 

Replace Versatile Expertise with Axe Expertise in the CB.  Not attached to golaith and you could do a half-orc, dwarf, minotaur, or mul build that works pretty much the same, but would switch out the racial feats for weapon focus and other feats.  Goliath seems most entertaining fit for a build based around teleporting, shifting, and concealment.  You could also do variants using a gouge (no reach, would not get much CA) or a glaive, but would be hard pressed to qualify for polearm gamble/heavy blade opportunist and keep the other feats.  Other gear would be stardard barbarian gear and ring of retreat or eladrin ring of passage to increase your teleporting powers a little.  Edit: Under the newest rules he would need a ki focus to attack with his implement powers, but that is not a big deal if doing inherent bonuses.  Versatile expertise might be needed in paragon.

Any ideas how to improve him?  Any monk feats from psionic power that would help?  Any more fun things concealment could help with?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
ghostrager, level 30
Goliath, Barbarian, Ghostwalker, Demigod
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Axe)
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Dexterity
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Strength
Background: Geography - Mountains (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 28, Con 17, Dex 26, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 50 Fort: 44 Reflex: 45 Will: 35
HP: 206 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +21, Nature +23, Athletics +33, Endurance +23

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +23, Arcana +15, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, History +15, Insight +16, Intimidate +16, Religion +15, Stealth +23, Streetwise +16, Thievery +23

FEATS
Level 1: Goliath Greatweapon Prowess
Level 2: Versatile Expertise
Level 4: Monastic Disciple
Level 6: Deadly Draw
Level 8: Polearm Flanker
Level 10: Hafted Defense
Level 11: Defensive Advantage
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Hide) (retrained to Second Skin at Level 21)
Level 14: Paragon Defenses (retrained to Robust Defenses at Level 22)
Level 16: Markings of the Victor
Level 18: Deadly Axe
Level 20: Deadly Rage
Level 21: Axe Mastery
Level 22: Primal Resurgence
Level 24: Epic Resurgence
Level 26: Long Step
Level 28: Overpowering Charge
Level 30: Ancient Stone

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Savage Reach
Monastic Disciple: Centered Flurry of Blows
Barbarian encounter 1: Desperate Fury
Barbarian daily 1: Tyrant's Rage
Barbarian utility 2: Shrug It Off
Barbarian encounter 3: Brutal Slam
Barbarian daily 5: Thunder Hawk Rage
Barbarian utility 6: Laugh it Off
Barbarian encounter 7: Curtain of Steel
Barbarian daily 9: Oak Hammer Rage
Barbarian utility 10: Enraged Surge
Barbarian encounter 13: Storm of Blades (replaces Desperate Fury)
Barbarian daily 15: Ancestral War Band Rage (replaces Tyrant's Rage)
Barbarian utility 16: Spur the Cycle
Barbarian encounter 17: Stone-Splitting Roar (replaces Brutal Slam)
Barbarian daily 19: Desert Wind Rage (replaces Thunder Hawk Rage)
Barbarian utility 22: Unexpected Clarity
Barbarian encounter 23: Staggering Strike (replaces Curtain of Steel)
Barbarian daily 25: Stone Tempest Rage (replaces Oak Hammer Rage)
Barbarian encounter 27: Hurricane of Blades (replaces Storm of Blades)
Barbarian daily 29: Rage of the Primal Beast (replaces Ancestral War Band Rage)

ITEMS
Great Cat Elderhide Armor +6, Tenacious Halberd +6, Amulet of Elusive Prey +6
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I have to say, I think this would be a fun and effective character.  I never thought of trying to build a barb like a monk before. My only concern is the lack of large number of slides and pulls in the barbarian power set.  Do you think you could add in the Mark of Storm and make your attacks  lightning or thunder?  I'd also add in Improved Defenses instead of paragon defenses, which isn't in the CB yet.
He has an at will that slides and once per encounter he can slide an adjacent enemy (enemies in paragon).  I think that would be enough when combined with the Dark Sun Gladiator 1/encounter CA at sixth level and polearm flanker, plus all the powers that knock prone etc.  He won't have CA all the time, but will have it most of the time by late heroic, expecially in a tactically competent party that helps him out even a little.  A controller or someone else who tried to daze/prone his targets combined with a competent defender would be enough to get CA probably 80%+ of the time and he could be right in the thick of things most of the time to help with flanking.

I thought about mark of storms, but this more of Darksun type character and I wanted to make an item independent build.  The barbarian does not have many attacks that deal thunder/lightning damage.

Anything monk feats from psionic power that would help him out?

Anything monk feats from psionic power that would help him out?

Monk feats in Psionic Power are fairly lame.  I don't know of any that your barb could really benefit from.
I like the idea for this Barbarian, he does sound fun to play. For a high defenses character though, his Will save is pretty bad. I like to have my defenses around 15 higher than level just to keep pace...yeah Will is the least targeted of the defenses, but it's also arguably the nastiest. I'd consider at the very least taking Epic Will or Iron Will, preferably both as your Wisdom isn't high enough to take Superior Will. There are also items that negate or help negate being dominated, dazed or stunned which might be a good idea for items. Really that's my only note though, otherwise he seems cool and fun.

J
You know... training in stealth + persistaint tail can add quite a bit of defense.

Then you might even get some OA's. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Sign In to post comments