Lazy and need Assassin

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am too busy to do it myself right now, but I think it would be awesome if some one would make an assassin character, possibly in the same style as the pre-gens?  I DM encounters but I would love to have a 'treat' character available in case an experienced 4e player shows up and wants something a little different.

If this has been done already , then oops and yay.
The assassin is only available to DDI subscribers currently.

So... a DDI subscriber would be required to create the character,  I am sure there are a few around.  Or are you saying that in order to play a character, you must own the product which features it?

Wielding a Bohemian Ear Spoon can be fun and informative.
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
Or you can use the one airtask created

images.community.wizards.com/community.w...

So... a DDI subscriber would be required to create the character,  I am sure there are a few around.  Or are you saying that in order to play a character, you must own the product which features it?

To be completely honest both, since this is an event highlighting WotC offerings in public play. If this were a home game I would say go crazy so long as someone in the group has legitimate access to it.

On the two that have posted so far, I would recommend the the first since it at least has a race featured in "Essentials".

JVH I completely disagree with you on the first point, and completely agree with you on the latter.  Should I make sure each player has purchased the Red Box before I allow them to play an elf or the heroes of the fallen lands before trying out the knight?  In the essence, a player is not required to own the products to play.*  At least, I dont think so... You seem to be taking a legalistic approach, while I plan on basing my decisions on the needs and wants of the players.

As for the assassin I like them both - the latter assassin has better power choices in my opinion, or maybe it just seems that the former assassins powers seem over-powered to my jaded DM eyes.  In any event, I will not be using a drow in this season of encounters, as I agree that following the spirit of the event - Essentials - we should stick with those characts and options. On the other hand, the drow will be included in the Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, so an argument could be made for allowing him too.

*Thre reason for this is that you get hooked on the game first, then buy the products, not the other way around. 
First the bad...

The Human (Aria) has non-Essentials feats...

And the Drow is... well a Drow... not yet Essentials... (releases Nov... allowed starting Chapter 3)

Now for the good...

They are nice looking and interesting characters...
If a DM is allowing assassins, there is very little reason not to also allow drow which are listed as being in an essential book too. Executioner assassins are just a play test, so there isn't any reason to consider them any more legal than a race that simply hasn't been reprinted yet.
True...   I would argue that we have at least seen the essentials executioner, but we have yert to see the essentials drow.  So the assassin is one iota more legitimate than the drow in my book.

As for the other one, I didnt see feats listed, which two are they?  Action surge, and.. quick swap, maybe?

I may try my hand at making one if I have time this weekend, using NOTHING but the playtest and the Heroes of the Fallen Lands.

True...   I would argue that we have at least seen the essentials executioner, but we have yert to see the essentials drow.  So the assassin is one iota more legitimate than the drow in my book.

As for the other one, I didnt see feats listed, which two are they?  Action surge, and.. quick swap, maybe?

I may try my hand at making one if I have time this weekend, using NOTHING but the playtest and the Heroes of the Fallen Lands.

Executioners get quick swap for free. I gave the drow superior fortitude to help maintain the grab powers since most creatures are better at athletics than acrobatics. It's unlikely the races are going to change other than get new ability bonus options. Besides the human, only the dwarf changed and that was simply to make using second wind as a minor and encounter power.
Airtask, we have been given an expansion to the Encounters Character Creation rules...

The Expanded (Essentials+) Character Gen rules are;
<> Heroes of the Fallen Lands (Essentials)
<> Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms (Essentials)
<> One or two 'Highlight' products
<> All Dragon content that supports the above

This is modified by the fact that HotFK doesn't come out til November (legal starting Ch 3).

I don't know where this idea that Playtest articles are not legal comes from...

We have had 3-4 other Playtest articles, only 1 was not legal, and it explicitly removed its legality...

The Barbarian playtest was RPGA legal, as was the Monk playtest. I don't remembe if the Psion was a preview or a playtest, but it was legal.

The Hybrid playtest was not RPGA legal because it explicitly removed its legality.
Organizers: Assess the desires of your store community and balance that with the ability to remain accessible to new players. 

If players are asking for content specifically designed to enhance the books spotlighted during this season, you should feel empowered as the organizer to let your players use it as you see fit, given the spirit of the rules. Therefore, something that directly supports the mage (for example, the pyromancy school) should be fine. The executioner is a little trickier, but it clearly is an Essentials-style build, so that's probably OK, too.

The intent is to keep things in a classic sort of feel, and support the two Player's Essentials books throughout the season. So please keep that in mind when making a decision on what additional Dragon Magazine content you'll let your players access. We'll have more information on integrating Dragon content soon. 

Lucian, this post by Tulach indicates that this encounters season is meant to support the two Player's Essentials books, but that Executioners are ok if the DM agrees to allow them is where I'm getting that idea. 
I see you have an active DDI subscription... read Tulach's statements in last months Dragon... RPGA Report...

He explains the intent of the Encounters character creation, and titles it as Essentials+

The idea I am refering to is the general thought that Playtest articles are never RPGA legal...

HERE is a link to the current Character Gen info.
I see you have an active DDI subscription... read Tulach's statements in last months Dragon... RPGA Report...

He explains the intent of the Encounters character creation, and titles it as Essentials+

The idea I am refering to is the general thought that Playtest articles are never RPGA legal...

HERE is a link to the current Character Gen info.

I have never been talkin about anything other than essentials, but if it helps you sleep at night, then I admit you are right about everything. You win the internet. Yay!
Anyone else have the position of being fine with Executioner Assassin being legal for Encounters but not exactly fine with asking for access to for pay exclusive content on WOTC's own forums???
Anyone else have the position of being fine with Executioner Assassin being legal for Encounters but not exactly fine with asking for access to for pay exclusive content on WOTC's own forums???

It was the reason for my original response. Let's just say that I would have been more comfortable if the OP had the red icon under his name.

Actually, I only just noticed, but I had to make a new account at work one time and I guess thats how it logs me in, lol.  But I am the Bohemian Ear Spoon of OP fame, and yes I do have a DDI account.  My credentials are sound, thank you very much.

I just cant get past the idea that to use the assassin you must be a DDI subscriber.  Thats the kind of subtle tyranny that some companies believe is useful for forcing customers to buy their stuff, but I dont think of this game that way.  It is inclusive, not exclusive.

Yes, some one, like the dm (ME) must have DDI access to even get the beta, which is the pricing bottle neck for all those worried aobout it, but I should have the freedom to make assassins and allow competent, interested players to play thm without first carding them to make sure they have DDI access, thats all Im saying.

And one more thing to hopefully put this to rest - there is an obvious difference between a playable released class - the assassin - even if it is a playtest, and a feat or race that is NOT released in Essentials style, period.