September/October update situation

289 posts / 0 new
Last post

Meh, Orcus Smorcus, I know a couple of power gamers who claim to have a couple of builds that can kill him in a round...

Mind you, I believe that may have been prior to some of the latest errata... ... ... Run Away! Run Away!

I know how to kill him without attacking him.

And survive.

Epic Destiny: Demigod/Chosen
Equipped: Gorget of Reciprocity (Neck) (Adventurer's Vault 1)

Let Orcus touch you with "Touch of Death". Pop the Gorget's Daily. You are reduced to 0, He is reduced to 0, you get back up Bloodied. You win.

With an Arcana of +29, Orcus should have no problem identifying a Gorget of Reciprocity. You could try to disguise it or cover it, I suppose, but then it would be your Thievery or Arcana vs. his. Or something.

Now, if you could somehow get a Gorget of Reciprocity for each member of your party (an epic quest in and of itself, perhaps), then Orcus won't be able to safely target anyone with "Touch of Death". Or maybe you can create a bunch of fake gorgets, and hope that Orcus can't tell which one is the real one.

Sorry for the derail. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic.
Just to confirm.

I just had September and October refunded.  November also seems likely. 
Just to confirm.

I just had September and October refunded.  November also seems likely. 

Does that mean that they don't plan to update the tools in November? I thought they said they were "back on schedule".

As I recall the holiday season is a real Charlie Foxtrot for WotC when it comes to updating.  Keep your expectations low and you will not be disappointed.  Wink
Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.

As I recall the holiday season is a real Charlie Foxtrot for WotC when it comes to updating.  Keep your expectations low and you will not be disappointed.  

I find this to be really ridiculous.  WotC is the only company I have ever heard of where the company's entire level of performance is effected by people taking holiday vacations.

In the real world whole companies don't shut down due to Christmas.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

As I recall the holiday season is a real Charlie Foxtrot for WotC when it comes to updating.  Keep your expectations low and you will not be disappointed.  

I find this to be really ridiculous.  WotC is the only company I have ever heard of where the company's entire level of performance is effected by people taking holiday vacations.

He's talking about people getting fired...
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Happens every year

He's talking about people getting fired...

Well that too, but WotC shuts down every year around Christmas for a couple of weeks, and DDi updates were even pushed back due to vacations (if I am remembering correctly).

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Well that too, but WotC shuts down every year around Christmas for a couple of weeks, and DDi updates were even pushed back due to vacations (if I am remembering correctly).

I never knew the reason for the delayed updates around Xmas.  I am busy keeping my job so I did not take the time to find out.  That said, layoff, firings what have ya my company manages to keep operating over the holiday season.  And we have an annual RIF that occurs after Turkey up to a week from Xmas, got to keep those shareholders happy.

Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.

I used to work for a foundry that would shut down between the week before Xmas and New Years.

Of course, that was largely because it was as good a time as any to do yearly maintenance on some of the equipment, so there you go.

I used to work for a foundry that would shut down between the week before Xmas and New Years.

Of course, that was largely because it was as good a time as any to do yearly maintenance on some of the equipment, so there you go.

Yea, but I bet you busted your A _ _ a month or two before that to have product on hand during the down time.  My Uncle worked in a coal mine in Eastern Ky and they would do the same thing but for 3 months prior the inventory was stocked to handle the off time.  Not quite the same thing here, IMHO....

Not quite the same thing here, IMHO....

I know.  I was mostly just being a smart alek. 
I wish I could say it wasn't warranted, but WotC can't be any happier with their employee's performances than some of us are, at this point.  It reflects badly on them as a company.

Decreased quality -> decreased customers -> decreased funding -> canceled projects...  Whatever intentions WotC might have for DDI in the future, if they keep losing their existing customers they can't afford (or it won't be cost-effective for them) to keep sinking money into the project.

A shake-up is definitely needed.
I wish I could say it wasn't warranted, but WotC can't be any happier with their employee's performances than some of us are, at this point.  It reflects badly on them as a company.

Decreased quality -> decreased customers -> decreased funding -> canceled projects...  Whatever intentions WotC might have for DDI in the future, if they keep losing their existing customers they can't afford (or it won't be cost-effective for them) to keep sinking money into the project.

A shake-up is definitely needed.

It's almost Christmas, time for the traditional Holiday Pink Slips at WOTC.
So, no 'Heroes' or 'Dark Sun' for the Character Builder? Is this just delayed, or are they not going to be added at all. I have two players that just made characters using these books. How am I going to make their characters in the builder? No themes? No new builds? Come on!
So, no 'Heroes' or 'Dark Sun' for the Character Builder? Is this just delayed, or are they not going to be added at all. I have two players that just made characters using these books. How am I going to make their characters in the builder? No themes? No new builds? Come on!

Nobody really knows.

As I see it, there are the following possibilities:

1.) There will be an update of the current CB including the new stuff
2.) A web based CB which includes the new stuff will be provided
3.) Development of CB (and the other DDI software) will be shut down.

I guess WotC wants to make 2.) happen, but I think 3.) is far more likely from the information I know (which is not much, of course)

Ceterum censeo capsum rubeum esse delendam

If they are building a web port of the CB, there's no reason they can't update both it AND the normal CB, assuming they use the same underlying database structure.

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, on-topic, and refrain from personal attacks and flaming, these are violations of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg... . You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

Please return discussion to the topic of the thread, or it may need to be closed.
THE UPDATE DAY FOR DDI IS NOVEMBER 2ND.

Just wanted to be sure to mention that after the last (partial) update, Paolo said that the team was "back on schedule" to provide regular updates.

There is NO way to read this and expect anything other than:

1. Dark Sun in CB
2. Essentials (1st Book) in CB

on the 1st Tuesday in November (the 2nd).

That means that in about ONE WEEK, we should be back up to date.

Anything less is is just another failure on the part of the DDI team (and would reflect EXTREMELY badly on Paolo). Hopefully the team won't fail (again) to do what they said they were going to do.

There is another way to read it, that being that "back on schedule" could mean back to providing updates on the first Tuesday of the month. It doesn't necessarily mean content will be up to date. I hope it does and will be, but no guarantee that I see other than there will be an update.

There is another way to read it, that being that "back on schedule" could mean back to providing updates on the first Tuesday of the month. It doesn't necessarily mean content will be up to date. I hope it does and will be, but no guarantee that I see other than there will be an update.

That's how I read it - they did not say "caught up," just "back on schedule." So while I do expect stuff in the builder next week (or perhaps this new web thingy they're working on), I wager that it will be some of what they fell behind on, not all of it (though I hope they meant "caught up" too). If they can pull off the whole thing, kudos to them.
Well, I meant that it's the only way to read it if you are a human being.

You know some might take offense for that, but for my part based on recent experiences with "human beings", I thank you for the compliment.

It was certainly not directed at you.

Ahhh ok I guess but I really was dieing to use the dueling emote.

It was certainly not directed at you.

It shouldn't have been directed at anyone.

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:

....... Paolo said that the team was "back on schedule" to provide regular updates.

Wait hold on a second.....   What happened to the EULA?  Taking a look back the EULA defense meant WotC has no "regular updates".  So what does "back on schedule" really mean?  I am so confused now.  

Wait hold on a second.....   What happened to the EULA?  Taking a look back the EULA defense meant WotC has no "regular updates".  So what does "back on schedule" really mean?  I am so confused now.

For the record I don't believe Paolo ever used the EULA defense, but he addressed the fact that since people had gotten used to a monthly update because they had been providing one monthly that they are back on schedule for that. Hopefully, that lessens your confusion.

THE UPDATE DAY FOR DDI IS NOVEMBER 2ND.

Just wanted to be sure to mention that after the last (partial) update, Paolo said that the team was "back on schedule" to provide regular updates.

There is NO way to read this and expect anything other than:

1. Dark Sun in CB
2. Essentials (1st Book) in CB

on the 1st Tuesday in November (the 2nd).

That means that in about ONE WEEK, we should be back up to date.

Anything less is is just another failure on the part of the DDI team (and would reflect EXTREMELY badly on Paolo). Hopefully the team won't fail (again) to do what they said they were going to do.

Actually, there is another way to read it.  Regular updates do not mean all material is put up.  For all we know, the next update could have the latest issues of Dragon and Dungeon magazines but no new books.  While I obviously hope not, we'll just have to wait and see.
So while I do expect stuff in the builder next week (or perhaps this new web thingy they're working on), I wager that it will be some of what they fell behind on, not all of it (though I hope they meant "caught up" too). If they can pull off the whole thing, kudos to them.

This is how I feel about the situation as well.

Is: 
Want to be
Secretly hoping for:  on my long lost mounts.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
You are right. And if someone in person used that kind of tactic with me, I would know he was a weasel.

People know weasels. That is my message to you. 

Is that an insinuation that I am a weasel?  I did nothing more than show that there is another way that the statement could be interpreted.  I don't believe that I did so in an insulting matter, simply a matter-of-fact way of speaking. 

The issue is simply a question of what WotC is promising.  So far, the only thing that have truly stated is that they will have an update on November 2nd without saying what content will be in it.  Hopefully, this will include Dark Sun and Essentials.  However, they haven't said that this is the case.

If they are building a web port of the CB, there's no reason they can't update both it AND the normal CB, assuming they use the same underlying database structure.

That's a pretty big assumption.  It would make sense if the database was reworked to make the program more flexible.  For example, it could be that each class has a type associated with it (such as a Fighter being a Defender).  However, since Essentials came up with the Slayer, a Striker fighter class, changes would need to be made to associate the type with the build instead of the class.  (Note: I don't work for WotC nor have I ever seen their data structures.  I'm stating a possible case.)  This would require massive changes in the code for CB but could be handled from the ground up in a web based version to allow for build typing instead of class typing. 

In the current CB program, they would be reworking code to basically patch this type of exception to the rule whereas they could account for it in the rules for the web-based version immediately.
Well, I meant that it's the only way to read it if you are a human being.

Pfft, I am not a human being.  I just RP one in real life. 

ELADRIN POWER!

Anyway, there isn't a whole heck of a lot to update on November 2nd if they do not include those two books, is there?

"Is that an insinuation that I am a weasel? "

No and I am baffled as to how it could be read that way. 

What you did there? It was observed.
A new question for Mudbunny:

Is Known Issues List for Character Builder being fully maintained? I see the last updated date change now and then, but none of my reported issues have ever actually reached that list and there have been updates without fixes.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.

Is Known Issues List for Character Builder being fully maintained? I see the last updated date change now and then, but none of my reported issues have ever actually reached that list and there have been updates without fixes.

I will poke and find out.
"Is that an insinuation that I am a weasel? "

No and I am baffled as to how it could be read that way. 

It is simple:  You had noted that my way of viewing the message was a "weasel" way of interpreting this.  You then stated: "People know weasels. That is my message to you."  That last sentence seemed to link the previous statement as saying "People know YOU as a weasel" since I came up with a "weasel" way of seeing it. 

Maybe I missed, but will ask anyway. Are we getting an update to the Char builder next Tuesday? Does anyone have any info?
Thanks!
I just checked the content calendar for Nov and well I have to say NO.  Take it with a grain of salt based on this caveat "This editorial calendar is a living document. Content may be added, article titles may change, and articles may shift dates for scheduling reasons. The calendar will be updated accordingly to reflect changes".  So check back tomorrow and maybe there will be a breath of life in the document, currently it is dead.
All we know is that they said they were back on track to provide regular updates back on the 6th.

I will poke and find out.

Could you please poke on the MB errata threat that Trevor started? It is painfully devoid of any sign of WotC or VCL participation.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I just checked the content calendar for Nov and well I have to say NO.

And that would be because there is *nothing* on the content calendar for November yet, not because this one update isn't mentioned.

I just checked the content calendar for Nov and well I have to say NO.

And that would be because there is *nothing* on the content calendar for November yet, not because this one update isn't mentioned.

YEA, read the rest of my answer.  Cherry picking my statements is RUDE......

Sign In to post comments