September/October update situation

289 posts / 0 new
Last post

So we here in Central Time should expect the update around... *quick math in head* ...around 1 to 2 P.M. Central Time, then?

Thats roughly when I see it in mountain time (noon-1pm) there has been a few times with really massive updates (which this one isn't likely cause) where it was closer to fourish.  I vote for 5pm pacific time to be storm WOTC's office time if there is no update.
Well I just checked CB and on the update it says server is down...so I'm assuming that means within an hour or two possibly it'll be up
HOLD ON.

All I'm asking for is a test e-mail. I don't need advice on howto get a new IP or how to check my spam filter.

If some of us got it and some of us didn't, then it doesn't seem to be working.
What kind of notification system is that?

In Television, we have to test our Emergency Alert System every week.
It's annoying, but we know, in case of an actual emergency, our system is ready.

Now I'm not saying a once a week system is what WotC needs, but how about a once.

I and others haven't gotten the message.
Something should be done to make sure the system is working.
Like a TEST E-MAIL.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
Since that test email would go to 40,000 people, 39,900 of which would be annoyed by it...

The "traditional" way to test this is to temporarily "plug" the mail relay the system uses, send out the bulk email, and then look at the mail relay to make sure all 40k messages are queued up ready to be sent.  Then delete them, and unplug the relay.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

ok so the update is available.  Downloaded and waiting to look at it.The Compendium update is ok.  A little different look but same functionality.
Here I was just about to stop paying Wizards, and they turn around and deliver a cleaner look, and the updates I've been waiting for.

Kudos on the new look of the compendium. I love it. 
Yep.  Though the current situation has been a bit of a mess (still can't see what prevents the psionic power updates making it to the compendium) the ui refresh on the compendium is a significant improvement, the old look was far too fussy.

Dislike the auto select on the catagories list that takes you to the category with the most entries whenever you run a new search though.  Given the categories box comes before the search text box the implication is that it is a choice which will effect  the search but if you select the area you were interested in then search it autojumps to a different category.  Minor irritant though really.

Possibly worth updating the content calendar though so people just checking in there can see the updates are out.

Thanks to all involved in finally getting these updates out the door.  Like many I subscribe for character builder primarily, in fact signed up for a year renewal purely on the strength of phb3 and psionic power being due this year.
Ok so why weren't the Essentials and DS books added to the CB? At least the DS books???

Timothy Adams

Battle Hardened DM

Just Psionic and magazines are added to this update.
Ok so why weren't the Essentials and DS books added to the CB? At least the DS books???

WotC has not explained beyond some comments from which I infer it was too large of a change to get done in the time frame they allotted. However, they also had this web-based tools thing that diverted a chunk of their resources so...make of it what you will. Bottom line is that they didn't present a specific reason, though there was a lot going on over the past two months, they claim. 

However, they also had this web-based tools thing that diverted a chunk of their resources so...

Other then the revamped Comp is there another web-based tool I am missing?  I have to say at least it works in the Opera browser now, before I had to fire up IExploder.....

Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.
Other then the revamped Comp is there another web-based tool I am missing?  I have to say at least it works in the Opera browser now, before I had to fire up IExploder.....

There is, but it has not been announced yet.  A more detailed announcement may be coming out later this week.

There is, but it has not been announced yet.  A more detailed announcement may be coming out later this week.

Got it, so we should hear something SOON!

Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.

There is, but it has not been announced yet.  A more detailed announcement may be coming out later this week.

Got it, so we should hear something SOON!

More specifically, we were told it would be a "couple days" on Thursday, but also after the update.  So yeah, soon. Innocent
tbh i don't really find the compedium that useful and making it prettier isn't reallllllllly that much help! what i would find useful is the character creator with the dark sun setting info blah blah blah.

/me ends rant.
Given that the announcement was supposed to be released with the tools updates on the 21st of last month, I'm surprised it apparently still isn't ready yet.
First thing for people working on providing new features should remember: People hate change for the sake of change. They usually don't mind genuine improvements, but change just because it's change and therefore cool tends to get hackles raised. Second thing for people working on providing new 'improved' features should remember: It shouldn't be hard for users to figure out how to turn them off if they don't like them. Just because the programmer thinks he's had a great idea doesn't mean everyone else is going to agree with them.
More specifically, we were told it would be a "couple days" on Thursday, but also after the update.  So yeah, soon. Innocent

I believe we were told that it would be Thursday.  However, I am not 100% sure of that and don't want to invent a promise that wasn't actually made (there seems to be a lot of that going around).  I'm also too lazy to go look it up for people who are too lazy to go look it up.  Tongue out

I believe we were told that it would be Thursday.  However, I am not 100% sure of that and don't want to invent a promise that wasn't actually made (there seems to be a lot of that going around).  I'm also too lazy to go look it up for people who are too lazy to go look it up.  Tongue out

This is the closest to specifics I could find:

Guys, please. Be patient a couple more days. After the update, the studio (specifically me) will have a lot to say. I know that there always will be some that are not 100% happy with whatever comes, but I'm confident we can turn a corner and be more open to our users. Thank you.

This is the closest to specifics I could find:

Guys, please. Be patient a couple more days. After the update, the studio (specifically me) will have a lot to say. I know that there always will be some that are not 100% happy with whatever comes, but I'm confident we can turn a corner and be more open to our users. Thank you.

See... good thing I didn't say Thursday.  ;)

Also, further down that thread Paulo confirms that it's not going to be a "Big Announcement", but just an update on where things stand and that they're looking into how to make those kinds of updates more regularly.  

So set your expectations appropriately everyone.  NO BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!   Sealed

Also, further down that thread Paulo confirms that it's not going to be a "Big Announcement", but just an update on where things stand and that they're looking into how to make those kinds of updates more regularly.  

So set your expectations appropriately everyone.  NO BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!   Sealed

Correct, no big announcement, but he'll have a lot to say.  I'm not sure how those interact, but we'll find out soon.
Dislike the auto select on the catagories list that takes you to the category with the most entries whenever you run a new search though.  Given the categories box comes before the search text box the implication is that it is a choice which will effect  the search but if you select the area you were interested in then search it autojumps to a different category.  Minor irritant though really.

Yeah, I understand how that would be "controversial"

It was a design decision to go with the existing concept of moving to the highest ranked category instead of the selected one. I can see how it may be confusing, but we're taking note of these issues and triage accordingly for future updates.  
Paolo Marcucci "Building better worlds"
Correct, no big announcement, but he'll have a lot to say.  I'm not sure how those interact, but we'll find out soon.

I'm guessing a lot of what he'll have to say about this update wouldn't make it past the forum censors...

I'm guessing a lot of what he'll have to say about this update wouldn't make it past the forum censors...

I'm still waiting for final approval... 
Paolo Marcucci "Building better worlds"

Good luck Paolo, we're all pulling for you.
I sure am! I'm happy with most of the products and content (delays aside) and I very much appreciate that someone on the inside is willing to stop in and actually read what we post.  So thank you very much.

EDIT: Insert obligatory where the heck is my darksun content whine.Wink
I don't post much at all, but NOT getting the content I've paid for (and I haven't asked for a refund for either) after this much time AND STILL not getting what I've paid for...

I don't know anymore. I feel too let down...yet again...by WOTC.

Who do we have to torture to get what was promised us? Hasbro?

I am almost to the point of not caring anymore.

I grant you final approval for full disclosure.    Wink

I'd keep my head down if I was you it's getting close to redundancy season at WotC.

And yet we know (from Paolo's posts) that someone at WOTC is STILL working even harder to be sure that you become even more disaffected.  They won't be satisfied until you absolutely hate DDI.

*chuckle*  Customer Service -- They're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

That's one of my favorite demotivators. 

Yeah, I understand how that would be "controversial"

It was a design decision to go with the existing concept of moving to the highest ranked category instead of the selected one. I can see how it may be confusing, but we're taking note of these issues and triage accordingly for future updates.  

Simplest UI fix that would be consistent with the current logic would be to move the categories box to just above the search results pane.

Personally I would prefer a default of all categories rather than largest category if you are going to ignore what the user has already selected, since so far I have rarely seen it pick the category I was actually planning to search :-).

One oddity of the current logic is I have sometimes seen categories with blank for number found, and others with 0.  In this instance if no category has any results it selects the first category with 0.  In this special case just showing an all categories (0) and an empty results box would be more accurate and informative.

Another dev here (one that struggles to get BA's to pay sufficient attention to UI) so understand how tricky this can be.  Not a web dev though so not sure how easy it would be to reskin with some css tricks.  Have to give that a go :-)

I have looked through all 20 pages, and maybe I missed it.

Is essentials material being added to the CB?

If so, when?

(and I guess, if not, what the blazes is wrong with you guys?)

I have looked through all 20 pages, and maybe I missed it.

Is essentials material being added to the CB?

If so, when?

(and I guess, if not, what the blazes is wrong with you guys?)

Answer: We don't know for sure.  If they come out with an online-only CB then it will likely include Essentials.  If they aren't doing that then it seems safe to assume Essentials will be added to the CB at some point.  No idea when.
First off, thank you for that respong dbmeboy.

Online only?  Ick!  I do some fair bit of work in the CB with no internet access.  I hope that is not the plan.  If it is, then PLEASE have it include a way to save characters offline.  I gather this all revolves around the announcement they may or may not be making tomorrow (Thursday 14 Oct?).
This is speculation, but I doubt it will move to online only before getting essentials/dark sun updates. This doubt comes from the fact that essentials was partially implemented in the CB already along with some UI changes that appear to have been added in order to support essentails stuff.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
First off, thank you for that respong dbmeboy.

Online only?  Ick!  I do some fair bit of work in the CB with no internet access.  I hope that is not the plan.  If it is, then PLEASE have it include a way to save characters offline.  I gather this all revolves around the announcement they may or may not be making tomorrow (Thursday 14 Oct?).

Like DrNick said, the online-only CB is speculation.  Speculation that WotC has decided not to say anything to stop, but that's an entirely different discussion.  As far as I can tell though, there will not be any announcement tomorrow (10/14).  Paolo did say he was working on getting information to us, but he's having trouble getting authorization to do so.  He said more recently that it would be unlikely to come before next week sometime.

If WOTC sticks to form. The info coming next week will be "we'll have more info soon."
How long we'll need wait to make our Dark Sun characters at Character Builder? 
I have a question.  How bad do you have the bungle control over your narrative for 'soon' to become a dirty word?
The old-school MMORPGers out there could ask a similar question to Brad McQuaid from the original Everquest about "working as intended".
Soon is a big joke word but not because of WOTC.   Sony tosses it out all the time with a little (tm) next to it and they even have the following description

Question

When, exactly, is soon?

trnsp.gif
 Answer

When will be back/available/up/open/updated/fixed/installed/removed/nerfed/un-nerfed/patched/rolled back/instituted/upgraded/borked/published/resolved/ and/or generally Made Better™?

Soon™: A broadly generic description of a length of time between now and the fruition of a promise made by the developers of computer software, especially online gaming software. Before being trademarked, the term 'Soon' was much more meaningful, indicating that the event to which the adverb is applied is to happen in the near future. After the trademark was applied to the term, however, any sense of urgency or immediacy that the term 'Soon' once carried was tossed aside in favor of a term that would serve only to torture the readers of the term, usually subscribers to online gaming forums, hence Soon™.

An enhancement to the term Soon™ was made shortly after, and became known as Very Soon™, also trademarked. Very Soon™ is generally first used by game developers when they realize that they can no longer get away with using the term Soon™ while maintaining a straight face. Very Soon™, however, is not accepted by the gaming public much more favorably than its root, Soon™,as neither term means much at all to gamers who have been waiting patiently for the promised event to arrive.

There is also the recent addition of "Soonish™" which is generally only used by GM's in chat channels on patch days after being asked 498 times "When will the servers be up?".

transp.gif transp.gifEdit: Formatting fixed so that mud didn't have a heart attack
Sign In to post comments