September/October update situation

289 posts / 0 new
Last post
I *have* been told by a gym teacher to just "let them hit you" and "Oh my god!! Did you just give yourself a black bloody nose diving to the floor like that!!"

Not caring for your physical well-being makes winning surviving at dodgeball pretty easy.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Mmmmm open source character builder... *drools from the mouth*

Here is one that works Pathguy and he has the Dark Sun stuff in it.  Wonder how he did that so fast???????

Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.

Here is one that works Pathguy and he has the Dark Sun stuff in it.  Wonder how he did that so fast???????

C & D order in 3 2 1......

C & D order in 3 2 1......

Nah, this doesn't break into C&D territory - the character sheet it generates isn't usable without access to the books or other source of information.

However, it demonstrates clearly why this guy can get things out fast - its has almost zero gui, less data entry no real character management and so on.

Is it functionally useful? Absolutely.  Does it have the qualities that allow a company that has strong branding to support to make money?  No even close.

Open source is not inherently good, just as closed source is not inherently bad.  The good and badness comes from how they're used.  Additionally many open source advocates wouldn't call the MIT licence open source because it doesn't include any copyleft clause (you are legally bound to pass back changes and updates to the community).  This is more correctly (in my opinion) simply public domain (with attribution) code.
I'm not asking for the world on updates.  If they can't get it all coded in due to time constraints or coding snags for adding new content to the compiler thats fine.  I just want to see some material in an update each month.  I understand how long it takes to write code and get the material into the system.  I also know that some companies have volunteers working on the data files and that updates won't come in as often as they should.  Which is they case with Army Builder.  I just don't like seeing something advertised falsely.  A small update with some material in it would be appreciated greatly.  Just saying its bad business practice to advertise and then say screw it at the last minute.  

AsmodeousLore and Madbunny, thanks for looking into this and staying on top of it.   

Though awesome, to bland. Would take me forever to get through it due to lack of intrest. Again though, thanks .

I have updated the 2nd post with questions and answers.

I have not included any of the questions on the web-based tools, as they are being collected by AsmodeusLore in a different thread.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Mudbunny, I think you've got an answer for Q7 given that they are putting out separate updates for the compendium and CB, and nothing for the monster builder.
Post 17 only covers half of the answer for the notification system.

I would assume they THOUGHT they had it working when they sent out the first message. They were wrong.

So how do we know it will work this time,since they still THINK they have it working and haven't tested it yet?
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"

I would assume they THOUGHT they had it working when they sent out the first message. They were wrong.

So how do we know it will work this time,since they still THINK they have it working and haven't tested it yet?

Maybe it did work, but the message went into your spam folder?

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

If it did, I would say that it is then not working as intended.
How am I to know it is in my spam folder if a test is not done?
I checked the folder, it's not there.
Is a test so hard to perform?
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"

Your spam folder is your problem (or perhaps your ISP/email providers problem), not WotCs.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

Your spam folder is your problem (or perhaps your ISP/email providers problem), not WotCs.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

I haven't got any updates via e-mail either. How do you expect me to be able to change Google's policy on spam? I don't even have a popular blog and less than fifty people follow my Twitter updates…
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
Well if you find the email in your spam folder, there is a "Not Spam" button which should make sure it is delivered to your Inbox in the future.  I don't think gmail out and out blocks anything though, but if for some reason that is the case you could contact them and tell them mail from wizards.com is not spam.  It's not as hopeless as you make it sound.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

Well if you find the email in your spam folder, there is a "Not Spam" button which should make sure it is delivered to your Inbox in the future.  I don't think gmail out and out blocks anything though, but if for some reason that is the case you could contact them and tell them mail from wizards.com is not spam.  It's not as hopeless as you make it sound.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Nono, you don't get that I get zero e-mails from WotC, zero in the inbox, zero in the spam folder. zero.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.

Yeah... I got nothing either. Not in my Junk, nor my Inbox. Not that any of dozens of e-mails from WotC have ever gone in the Junk folder...

Still no update... I know I'm English and WotC is American and arn't out of bed yet, but I've been up and about for 6 hours... GIMME THE NEWS!!!!!

Wolf.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Nono, you don't get that I get zero e-mails from WotC, zero in the inbox, zero in the spam folder. zero.

The the course of action is easy.  None of these steps include complaining on these boards.

1. Contact WotC Customer Service and tell them you want to make sure your email address is in their mailing list and correct.

2. Once you have that resolved, contact Google and tell them you are concerned that you are not receiving any email from wizards.com, and you would like them to look into it.  Tell them it is not spam and should not be blocked.

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

Yeah... I got nothing either. Not in my Junk, nor my Inbox. Not that any of dozens of e-mails from WotC have ever gone in the Junk folder...

Still no update... I know I'm English and WotC is American and arn't out of bed yet, but I've been up and about for 6 hours... GIMME THE NEWS!!!!!

Wolf.

Calm down.  The update process begins at 9am PST (UTC -8:00) and takes 3 to 4 hours according to PaoloM.  I won't have the updated until 3:00pm EST at the earliest.  That would probably be 8:00pm for you.

News according to PaoloM was to come AFTER the update was completed.  I wouldn't expect anything until tomorrow around 9am PST at the earliest.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

The the course of action is easy.  None of these steps include complaining on these boards.

1. Contact WotC Customer Service and tell them you want to make sure your email address is in their mailing list and correct.

2. Once you have that resolved, contact Google and tell them you are concerned that you are not receiving any email from wizards.com, and you would like them to look into it.  Tell them it is not spam and should not be blocked.

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Are you kidding me? Google deleted it's e-mail support years ago (now they only have support forums) and call-to-support is only available in the United States. I have also been in contact with WotC Customer Support (who are the only ones on WotC that actually seem to care).
Then I would consider an email option that does have support available.  Don't you get email as part of your Internet connection?  I use Verizon here in the States and they give me an account as part of my Internet package.  They have phone support.

Nothing however changes the fact that it is almost certainly not WotCs fault (nor can they likely do anything about) you don't get their emails.  Furthermore since you have a forums account you can receive broadcasts, and last month's email also went out as a broadcast on these message boards.  If you have broadcasts blocked, turn them back on.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

Wolf.

Calm down.  The update process begins at 9am PST (UTC -8:00) and takes 3 to 4 hours according to PaoloM.  I won't have the updated until 3:00pm EST at the earliest.  That would probably be 8:00pm for you.

News according to PaoloM was to come AFTER the update was completed.  I wouldn't expect anything until tomorrow around 9am PST at the earliest.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

I was actually quite calm - that was Fake Rage (tm). Just impatient given the wait so far - I'm sure you can agree that it has not been a short one.

Wolf.

Then I would consider an email option that does have support available.  Don't you get email as part of your Internet connection?  I use Verizon here in the States and they give me an account as part of my Internet package.  They have phone support.

Nothing however changes the fact that it is almost certainly not WotCs fault (nor can they likely do anything about) you don't get their emails.  Furthermore since you have a forums account you can receive broadcasts, and last month's email also went out as a broadcast on these message boards.  If you have broadcasts blocked, turn them back on.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

I have used Gmail since closed beta. Only WotC e-mails can't reach its destination. Occam's razor suggests that there is something wrong with WotC e-mail. Unless you know something that you are not telling us.

I do get e-mail as part of my internet connection, that e-mail address is not only likely to change every time I change ISP, that e-mail address is also fugly as hell and impossible to remember (something like seven digits followed by the four first letters of my last name @ isp specific domain).

WotC can do boatloads of things to assure that their e-mail server, correct reply-to, correct sender, existing sender, correct mailer, correct domain, correct encoding, correct transfer encoding, correct content-type, correct boundary, correct ID, correct date, correct inline html, correct return-path, correct line breaks. Do you know for sure that these and more are configured as they should be? If not, stop suggesting that I am doing something wrong when what I am doing is working 100% with every e-mail I expect to receive except for those from WotC.
I use Gmail for my insider account and got the message just fine. If Google was going to black-list them, I don't think any would get through. If your personal spam filters are too aggressive, try adding do-not-reply@community.wizards.com to your whitelist. I would also suggest you look into, as was previously suggested, whether you're even set to receive broadcasts on the forums, since that's how the message was sent.
I use Gmail for my insider account and got the message just fine. If Google was going to black-list them, I don't think any would get through. If your personal spam filters are too aggressive, try adding do-not-reply@community.wizards.com to your whitelist. I would also suggest you look into, as was previously suggested, whether you're even set to receive broadcasts on the forums, since that's how the message was sent.

White-listing in my account would work if the e-mail actually, you know, reached my e-mail account.
All the evidence it pointing to WotC either not having your email address in their mailing list, or having an address with a typo.  Once again, I suggest starting with Customer Service and not complaining about it on the message boards.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

White-listing in my account would work if the e-mail actually, you know, reached my e-mail account.

So double-check your broadcast settings. community.wizards.com/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE...

Hint, replace YOUR_USERNAME_HERE with, y'know, your username. You need GROUP BROADCASTS and E-MAIL ALERT OPTIONS on. 

If those are both set correctly and have been, then verify your e-mail address. If that's correct and has been correct, then go bug customer service, because I'm sure that their programmers / server admins don't read the forums. 
All the evidence it pointing to WotC either not having your email address in their mailing list, or having an address with a typo.  Once again, I suggest starting with Customer Service and not complaining about it on the message boards.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

I have told customer service about this particular issue on more than one occasion. Now you can stop complaining that there are people that are experiencing issues, please. It is not helping with you complaining about my issues! Since WotC seem unable to listen to their own Customer Service then this is the only place where I have any possibility to do something, anything, about this. If you are going to banboi me, then go ahead, it does not change the fact that I may be right and you are probably wrong.

Using the forgot my password, works. Getting and sending e-mail from and to Customer Service has worked flawlessly, every time, my e-mail at user administration is correct. I am unable to do anything else.

Face it, you are not helping by going "na-na-na-na user error can't hear you" when I expose an issue with WotC e-mail system.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

I have told customer service about this particular issue on more than one occasion. Now you can stop complaining that there are people that are experiencing issues, please. It is not helping with you complaining about my issues! Since WotC seem unable to listen to their own Customer Service then this is the only place where I have any possibility to do something, anything, about this. If you are going to banboi me, then go ahead, it does not change the fact that I may be right and you are probably wrong.

Using the forgot my password, works. Getting and sending e-mail from and to Customer Service has worked flawlessly, every time, my e-mail at user administration is correct. I am unable to do anything else.

Face it, you are not helping by going "na-na-na-na user error can't hear you" when I expose an issue with WotC e-mail system.

Actually I am trying to help you, because posting here will, at best, get you redirected to Customer Service.  All the other irrelevant, childish drivel above is your own frustration projected onto me.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

Well, at least for me the forum notifications work, so if WOTC is smart, they use the same server. So people don't have spam problems, if these notifications already work for them.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

Actually I am trying to help you, because posting here will, at best, get you redirected to Customer Service.  All the other irrelevant, childish drivel above is your own frustration projected onto me.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

You are only suggesting things I am doing wrong rather than actually looking into the issue. Thankyouverymuchforyourhelpgoodsir.
Mudbunny, I think you've got an answer for Q7 given that they are putting out separate updates for the compendium and CB, and nothing for the monster builder.

I just added that. Thanks for the reminder!!

From my understanding, they assumed that it worked due to small-scale usage in all of the other groups. There were no problems noticed or reported, so it was assumed that the change in scale would not have an effect. Obviously, it did, and as soon as it was noticed, WotC was notified. Since then, I have been assured that it works.

I expect WotC will be using it again today to announce the update (I have been working hard to convince them to do so or to allow me access to that system for the DDI group). As for them not testing it since it was fixed, my understanding is that WotC is wary of annoying people by "spaming" their inbox.

Could we please stop the snarking and sniping??

Thanks!!

... snarking and sniping??

Believe or not, I had to google that. Heh, the wonders of second languages ;)

Viva Chile mierrrr...!!!

You are only suggesting things I am doing wrong rather than actually looking into the issue. Thankyouverymuchforyourhelpgoodsir.

No Kalax is suggesting that going to the forums with a technical problem is .... silly at best.  He offered suggestions, and there are others (including myself) who do not have issues with Gmail blocking Wizards.com, which has implications that there is something set up to cause complications on your end.

You don't have a filter for wizards.com or do-not-reply@community.wizards.com do you?

After all, some of us on Gmail got the announcement about sep's cancelation through gmail so its not a generalized google issue as you imply. 

No Kalax is suggesting that going to the forums with a technical problem is .... silly at best.  He offered suggestions, and there are others (including myself) who do not have issues with Gmail blocking Wizards.com, which has implications that there is something set up to cause complications on your end.

You don't have a filter for wizards.com or do-not-reply@community.wizards.com do you?

After all, some of us on Gmail got the announcement about sep's cancelation through gmail so its not a generalized google issue as you imply. 

I think you meant to reply to Kalax, he is implying that the error is either with me or Gmail, I am trying to tell him that it probably is with WotC because I have ruled out any other possibilities long ago.
Yes and myself and at least one other person on this thread got our emails Despite using gmail for insider contact.  Therfor; its not strictly with wizards.  That was my reply to you; coupled with explaining that forums are not a good place to ask for technical assistance.
I use gmail exclusively, and I get notifications/broadcasts/other e-mail from Wizards without any apparent issue.

Further showing the unlikelyhood that it's a conduit from wizards to g-mail that's the issue.

HOWEVER, WotC has said in the past that their e-mail system wasn't handling mass-mailing very well.  Its an issue they believe to be resolved now, but only time will tell.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

So we here in Central Time should expect the update around... *quick math in head* ...around 1 to 2 P.M. Central Time, then?
Those who keep quoting the EULA at our complaints should live in shame for their reprehensible behavior, as should WotC. Nicolae Ceauşescu never committed acts as reprehensible as the last few weeks here.
Yes and myself and at least one other person on this thread got our emails Despite using gmail for insider contact.  Therfor; its not strictly with wizards.  That was my reply to you; coupled with explaining that forums are not a good place to ask for technical assistance.

As I have stated numerous times before: I have had good contact with the kind people (everyone but one has been very courteous and professional) at Customer Support and they have acknowledged my issue and confirmed that I have done everything I am supposed to do. They have also confirmed that they "are working on the issue". At least I think I was having a conversation with WotC Customer Support. Perhaps I was only hallucinating…

(edit: no need to write the name, he could have had a bad day replying or anything.)

There may be any number of places where the problem lied. The most likely problem is with the software used by WotC. Either due to people having the settings chosen so as to not get emails or announcements, due to a problem with the software sending the announcement itself or some combination of the two. Other possible problems include people using a junk email address for their account, or having the email go to the junk folder.

I know of people who had GMail send it to the junk mail. I know of people who had gmail send it to their inbox. I know of people who used a throw-away email address for their WotC forum account/DDI subscription.

It is easy to lay the blame at the feet of one particular problem. It is much harder, especially in a process that goes through so many different systems, to diagnose the problem with 100% certainty.

WotC has done their part in doing what they can, short of bombarding people with "test" emails, in making sure that it works.
Sign In to post comments