September/October update situation

289 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is what we know about the skipped september DDI update as well as the status of the October DDI Update.
  1. September 7th update rescheduled to September 21st.

2. September 21st update rescheduled again to early October.

3. Due to no update in september, people who want refund can contact WotC and ask1 for refund. No stories of anyone getting refused reported to date.

4. No October update indicated on Editorial Calendar.

5. WotC_Trevor indicates (September 30th) that there still is an October update planned, but he can't give more yet, but will do so as soon as he can.

As we get more info, I will update this post.

1 - Should you wish a refund, contact WotC Customer Service and ask for one ("Online Gaming > D&D Insider > D&D Insider Account"). Turnaround time appears (this is a guess on my part) to be about 7 days.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Questions I am working on getting answers for:

1. Date of October update. (October 12th)

2. Content of October update. (See linked post, varies depending on whether you are talking about the CB, MB or Compendium)

3. Why are refunds being given as opposed to subscription extensions? (Post 27 for answer)

4. Cause of September update being missed.

5. What is being done to ensure that future updates are not missed?

6. Why was the decision made to hold off on all of the updates to the Compendium/CB/MB as opposed to doing a partial update of the things that could be entered easily?

7. Is it possible to do partial updates (to only the Compendium, or just the MB for example.)
    • It is apparently possible to do so, as, in the October update, the Compendium is being update with all of the info from August and September, whereas the Character Builder is being updated solely with Psionic Power and the Monster Builder is not being updated at all.

8. In case of further delays, how will subscribers be notified?? (Post 17 for the answer)

9. When will DS/Essentials content be added to the Character Builder/Monster Builder.

I will use this post to track questions and link to answers.

Please do not use this thread as another discussion thread. I want to keep this thread nice and clean with questions and answers.

Note that I cannot guarantee an answer to all the questions. Some questions WotC may not want to answer, some questions WotC may not, legally, be able to answer.

(Edit to add - Thanks to Kalex_the_Omen for helping keep the trhead neat and orderly.)
Thanks Mudbunny!  Any chance of getting WotC_Trevor to stop by to indicate what kind of traction he is getting toward having an answer for us soon?  I suppose we'll know in a little over 24 hours if they're going to make the normal first Tuesday for the update, but something before then, even if it is a disappointing answer would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Thank you for making this one a "sticky", so most of those new to the issue will be able to get a quick info on what happend so far.
A question you might want to add, since many of the people out there are interested in the answer:

What caused the delay of the september update in detail and how does WotC try to assure something like this wont happen again?
D&D Outsider since Nov 18th 2010, if you wonder about the little red dragon, this one is dedicated to the great VT community.
Thank you for making this one a "sticky", so most of those new to the issue will be able to get a quick info on what happend so far.
A question you might want to add, since many of the people out there are interested in the answer:

What caused the delay of the september update in detail and how does WotC try to assure something like this wont happen again?

Questions added.
Glad to see this up here.  I'll keep popping by in case there's any answers

Weren't updates usually scheduled for the first Tuesday of every month?  If that holds true, we should be getting one tomorrow. 
I bet all the answers to MBs questions will be "soon".
Please do not use this thread as another discussion thread. I want to keep this thread nice and clean with questions and answers.

Empahis Mine.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I bet all the answers to MBs questions will be "soon".

Please read before leaving off-topic posts.  From MB's first post:  "Please do not use this thread as another discussion thread. I want to keep this thread nice and clean with questions and answers."

MB:  Thanks for doing this.

Now for my question:  When it became obvious that putting Essentials into the CB and Compendium was going to be so problematic (and possibly Dark Sun as well), why wasn't a decision made to at least update with Psionic Power and Dragon/Dungeon content last month, which should have fit in the same mold that already exists?
Question added.
I have a question: "If this were to happen again, and a large delay were to come into being, would we get a notice of the events as soon as it was confirmed for delay?  Would we get a notice if it was delayed again?  Do you realize the confusion that is caused by no info and can you explain why you chose no info as the policy for this particular delay?"
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Check out my set! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27691729/Set_-_Realms_of_Elandra
Thanks Mudbunny!  Any chance of getting WotC_Trevor to stop by to indicate what kind of traction he is getting toward having an answer for us soon?  I suppose we'll know in a little over 24 hours if they're going to make the normal first Tuesday for the update, but something before then, even if it is a disappointing answer would be appreciated.

Sorry. I missed this question.

I did my best to track down Trevor today, but he was in quite a few meetings today. And before you ask, I don't know what the topics were, and neither did the other people I poked. The best I could get for an answer on when we might find info is

Warning, attempt at humor inside

"the time period that shall not be named." 1

I have a question: "If this were to happen again, and a large delay were to come into being, would we get a notice of the events as soon as it was confirmed for delay?  Would we get a notice if it was delayed again?  Do you realize the confusion that is caused by no info and can you explain why you chose no info as the policy for this particular delay?"

I will add this. However, I just want to clarify before I do. Are you asking for a notice of the delay (which was done) or notice of why the update is delayed/cancelled??

I did my best to track down Trevor today, but he was in quite a few meetings today. And before you ask, I don't know what the topics were, and neither did the other people I poked. The best I could get for an answer on when we might find info is

Warning, attempt at humor inside

"the time period that shall not be named." 1

And thats what we will call it from now on.. Awesome idea. Thanks MB
If something catastrophic were to happen, causing another delay to this (or any subsequent) update, would it be possible or feasible to go ahead and deploy what CAN be updated immediately?  I know I'd rather have a partial update than none at all.  (Apologies if this seems like a repeat question, but I'm really curious about the likelihood of at least getting something rather than nothing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.)
How many more developers are they hiring?

When do they start?

So not kidding. 
1) Thank You MudBunny, AsmodeusLore, and KalexTheOmen

2) Would it be possible if this were to happen again to get something along the lines of:

'Sorry, we were not able to update content for this month due to blah-blah-blah, a deposit of XX.XX was refunded to your account'; in an email from WotC Customer service?

~Teo

2) Would it be possible if this were to happen again to get something along the lines of:

'Sorry, we were not able to update content for this month due to blah-blah-blah, a deposit of XX.XX was refunded to your account'; in an email from WotC Customer service?

~Teo

Actually, they've already started work on an email notification system.  They did a test-run with it after the second push-back, had some issues, which we have been assured are cleared up now.

You just need to make sure your profile is set up to allow emails and notifications, and that your spam folder won't catch it by accident.

How many more developers are they hiring?

When do they start?

So not kidding. 

If only this would help.  Ironically, adding more people to the development team at this point would only ensure further delays.

With that being said, I would love a job working on the CB.
Thanks AL, I appreciate the reply Cool

~Teo

Actually, they've already started work on an email notification system.  They did a test-run with it after the second push-back, had some issues, which we have been assured are cleared up now.

You just need to make sure your profile is set up to allow emails and notifications, and that your spam folder won't catch it by accident.

MB, could you add this question & answer to the first post?
In one of the updates they changed sneak to be once/turn for all rogues but they didn't change the dice amount. Thieves get 5d6 at level 21 and other rogues get 4d6 at 21 and 5d6 at 30.

Is this an oversight or intentional? If the compendium was updated it would be easy to see if they did add two tables for sneak damage.
In one of the updates they changed sneak to be once/turn for all rogues but they didn't change the dice amount. Thieves get 5d6 at level 21 and other rogues get 4d6 at 21 and 5d6 at 30.

Is this an oversight or intentional? If the compendium was updated it would be easy to see if they did add two tables for sneak damage.

rouges get 2d6, 3d6, 5d6 at 1, 11, &21, there is no increase at 30...ever

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Rather than an email notification, the best way of notifying us of delays in the updates would be in the character builder itself when it checks for an update it could pop up a standard message.

Would certainly make it simpler on their admin teams, this also suggests they are only looking to notify those who haven't cancelled their subscritions until they get the situation sorted out. 
Rather than give us refunds, will they instead extend our current subscriptions by however long it takes for them to sort this mess out?
Rather than give us refunds, will they instead extend our current subscriptions by however long it takes for them to sort this mess out?

A lot of people have asked for this, but for whatever reason, we've been told it is not an option.  Only a refund is being offered.

From a past experience, being double billed for the month that I registered for annual subscription (once for month and once for annual), the billing for DDI is done by an outside agency and not by Wizards.  Such arrangements are common in the marketplace, but they make it impossible to do things like extend subscriptions in lieu of refunds. 

I could be wrong, but that is what I parsed out of the situation.  I had wanted them to add a month to my subscription due to the double billing and they had to do a refund.

rouges get 2d6, 3d6, 5d6 at 1, 11, &21, there is no increase at 30...ever

What is a rouge?  C'mon there is really no excuse to misspell rogue any more. You even quoted a correct spelling.

If this was a simple typo, then I apologize, but it happens too often in general to always be a typo.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I knew it. I cancelled my account last month and now have gathered many more people to "Strike" with me. We need to send Wizards a message. Do they want our money or not? If so, they should give us what we all signed up for. Not just part of it. ALL OF IT!

I am also not going to buy ANY Wizards' products. Books, minis, nothing until they fix this and make DDI something worth paying for again. If we let them, they will keep offering a lesser and lesser product each month (like they have been). I say enough. We are all willing to keep giving them money every month. What kind of company is dumb enough to mess that up?

What is a rouge?  C'mon there is really no excuse to misspell rogue any more. You even quoted a correct spelling.

It's a hyperintellgent shade of the color red.

~Teo

MB, could you add this question & answer to the first post?

Added with link to AL's answer.

Ummm, you are in the wrong thread completely for this question. This thread (and this entire set of forums) are directed towards DDI.

A lot of people have asked for this, but for whatever reason, we've been told it is not an option.  Only a refund is being offered.

Which is a shame, because I can't just use that refund to sign up for one more month, what with different rates and all.
Hey MB I got a question/suggestion: See if they can maybe get those subscribers who are signed up at the year rate a discount code/coupon so that if they choose to use the refund for one additional month they can do so?  (Like 5 dollars or whatever it is off a monthly subscription).
MB - Trouble tracking him down two days in a row?

Another question -- What will be in the next update?  I have been seeing rumors that it will include Dark Sun and Heroes of the Fallen Lands but skip Psionic Power.  If any material is being skipped, what is the schedule for catching up?

My question is this:
If the system is in-place to report to us is now working, could we get a test message sent?
Maybe one that says the update that was supposed to be there today is delayed?
How do we know the system works if we haven't gotten a message?

Also, thanks for this stickied post, MudBunny.
And thanks to you and AsmodeusLore for the work you do.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
And if Psionic Power IS being skipped, WHY?

Of all the things that should be in the update, that seems like the easiest one. 
Question:

A month before Gencon there was word of an upcoming announcement.  Later hints indicated that this announcement might coincide with the september update.  When may we expect this announcement?
Question:

A month before Gencon there was word of an upcoming announcement.  Later hints indicated that this announcement might coincide with the september update.  When may we expect this announcement?

I'm speculating, based on MudBunny's NDA reference, around the same time the september update actually makes it into the wild.

*crosses fingers*

Regardless, it's a fair question which Wizards seems to be avoiding.  Even if Mudbunny can't get it answers, it deserves to go on the list.  Personally I think that the possibility of a new tool is a much more important nugget than a monthly update which has gotten lost, ignored, and forgotten in the shuffle. 

Even if it can't get answered, it shouldn't be forgotten.  If we forget, then we don't deserve to get it answered. 
Also, thanks for this stickied post, MudBunny.
And thanks to you and AsmodeusLore for the work you do.

Just wanted to chime in with this sentiment. It is good to have a place to go to when you want to keep updated without wading to seas of nerdrage tears (especially because it is so easy to add your own).

It is a thankless job you guys are doing but know that it is appreciated...

To clarify MB, because I'm quite serious about the question:

I checked my spam filter after the mass e-mail was sent, and have found nothing.  G-mail keeps a pretty significant log of this so it took me some time to boot.  What's more I didn't even realize that it was stated no update on the 21st, and I work ALOT(40+ hours job 20+ school).

I know alot of people felt in the dark about that, and something on the main page, such as "CB taking longer than though, will update early october" would have been right awesome!  I don't understand the need to hide such a message in only personalized e-mails and forums.

So what I'm asking is will such a prominent message be displayed if it happens again?  I actually spent significant time trying to find out what was going on, because I needed the update for my LFR game that weekend, and time is valuable to me.  This would be a GREAT help so I'm hoping it will be considered next time.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Check out my set! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27691729/Set_-_Realms_of_Elandra