Star Wars vehicles

Hi folks,

Is there a line of Star Wars toys or models that's more in less in scale with WotC's character-scale miniatures? I'm particularly interested in Clone War and Republic-era vehicles, like the LAAT/i and the AT-TE and such. It's a shame WotC didn't do more vehicle minis. An AT-TE mini to go along with the AT-AT would've been really cool.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan
"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The SWM Tank Droid and Homing Spider Droid are too small? I didn't realize that. I've got one of each of those.

A sandcrawler would be pretty cool.
"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I also remember that there were some threads in the distant past that mentioned that the 3 3/4" Slave 1 and the Falcon (I think the regular one, not the large BMF one) were close to scale for the minis.  They are really large but then again freighter sized ships are supposed to be big.  
At last we will have our revenge.
I have both the Slave-I and the "BMF" Falcon and you're correct: Slave-I is frabjuous for the minis, but the big Falcon is not only immense but slightly misshapen (on the other hand, sizewise it's excellent for the 54mm Unleashed battle packs).
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
The SWM Tank Droid and Homing Spider Droid are too small? I didn't realize that. I've got one of each of those.

A sandcrawler would be pretty cool.

Yeah, those two are both roughly 2/3 the right size. Even the Dwarf Spider Droid is a bit small.
BUT, what that means is you can play a little fast & loose with vehicles. Consider it "relative scale" that's not out the airlock (like Starship Battles).
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.

Well i had a little spare time, and since i don't think there's anywhere on the boards where the different scales for the Action Fleet models are listed i went ahead and did a little calculation. I pulled out all my models, measured them, calculated the approximate scale and took a picture of them with some minis for reference.
They were actually way more off scale than i would have ever imagined, but i don't really care as i think they look good together with the minis anyways.
I hope that anyone who might want to get any of these will find it helpful.

I also added my Revell Pocket Eta-2 Actis Jedi Starfighters. I have a few more Revell models coming in soon, and as soon as they're assembled, i'll add those as well. The same goes for any other model i might aquire that i think is acceptable in scale.

A-Wing (Action Fleet)
Length - 9,6 m
Model length - 12,75 cm
Scale - 1:75

X-Wing (Action Fleet)
Length - 12,5 m
Model length - 17 cm
Scale 1:74

Darth Vader's TIE Advanced x1 (Action Fleet)
Length - 9,2 m
Model length - 11,25 cm
Scale - 1:82

TIE Fighter (Action Fleet)
Length - 6,3 m
Model length - 9,25 cm
Scale - 1:68

TIE Interceptor (Action Fleet)
Length - 9,6 m
Model length - 11,75 cm
Scale - 1:82

TIE Bomber (Action Fleet)
Length - 7,8 m
Model length - 11,5 cm
Scale - 1:68

Eta-2 Actis Light Interceptor (Revell easykit pocket)
Length - 5,47 m
Model length - 10 cm
Scale: 1:55

AT-TE (Revell easykit)
Length - 13,2 m
Model length - 22,5 cm
Scale: 1:59

Republic Gunship (Revell easykit)
Length - 17,4 m
Model length - 21 cm
Scale: 1:83

ARC-170 Starfighter (Revell easykit)
Length - 14,5 m
Model length - 20 cm
Scale: 1:73

Naboo N-1 Starfighter (Action Fleet)
Length - 11 m
Model length - 15,25 cm
Scale - 1:72

AAT (Action Fleet)
Length - 9,75 m
Model length - 15 cm
Scale - 1:65

V-35 Landspeeder (Action Fleet)
Length - 3,8 m
Model length - 12 cm
Scale - 1:32

Cloud Car (Action Fleet)
Length - 7 m
Model length - 9 cm
Scale - 1:78

Escape Pod (Action Fleet)
Length - 3,5 m
Model length - 10 cm
Scale - 1:35

Thanks for that, BiggsySmile

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

I'll second that.  Great job Biggsy!  Its great to see the minis next to the vehicles.
At last we will have our revenge.
I sent Biggsy a message that his scales were off, but in dickering with the numbers myself, I can see no flaw; what I think is that the numbers themselves are off, either the vehicle length or the toy length (mine are all boxed up). But no way the V-35 and escape pod are roughly toy soldier/armor model scale. I mean, they just aren't. Plus, I'm fairly sure the TIE Bomber is bigger than the others - if nothing else, they have basically standardized cockpits, so you can go visually by that. Aaah, I'll have to dig a little when i have some time.
It IS a great project, though! Everyone's been looking for SWM-compatible vehicles for ages. Good job, Biggsy!
The real question is: what are the prices and availability for those Action Fleet models? Are we going to have to pay an arm and a leg to eBay price gougers to get them?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks much Biggsy for posting those pics!!
My Blog: http://botwt.wordpress.com/
The real question is: what are the prices and availability for those Action Fleet models? Are we going to have to pay an arm and a leg to eBay price gougers to get them?

Most of them are not hard to get a hold of and are not that expensive. The AAT is the only model i have had a hard time getting, because i was not going to pay $100 or more for one. But i was lucky once on ebay and got one for about $5. E-Wing is one i don't have and that is an expensive one as well. Otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want i think.
If you go for the AAT R/C version (which is effectively identical) and clip the wires, I've found it's cheaper than the rare straight-up Action fleet AAT. It's really close to the minis visually, as you can see from Biggsy's pic; HOWEVER, I'd hold off until the upcoming Revell snapkit is released (Oct/Nov), unless you just wanna collect Action Fleet.
Other ones you won't be able to swing, LOL:
Naboo Royal Starship (film version)
TIE Defender
Sith Infiltrator - though it's not as bad as the first two.
Probably the Gungan Sub, though I did get lucky.
I never even knew there was an E-Wing!
The TIE Defender and E-Wing were a short run produced at the end of one of the production years, I believe.  I forget the exact reason so few were made, but they weren't on the shelves for long.  I'll get some pics up of the ones listed and not pictured when I get the chance.  (too long of a to do list, lol)  They are all roughly the same size as each other in the AF line though. 

Sorry if this was mentioned in this thread already, but the Transformers AAT is pretty close to the AF size as well.  It's in the CW deco and still available in stores - there are a few joints that are visible, but not bad.
I just added a photo of my Revell Eta-2 Actis Interceptors. Also corrected the X-Wing length and changing its scale accordingly and also corrected the AAT model length. I have a few Revell models coming in and will add them to the post whenever i get them delivered and assembled.
Okay! Let's see if I can add something useful.
FINALLY found & snagged the Transformers Republic tank. First thing I did was whip out the model cement and glue the annoying wiggly bits - that thing won't get to transform even once.
Later, I plan to tidy up some of the seams where the colors are compromised, give it a couple coats o' Dullcote, and add some weathering. But for now all anyone needs to see is the bottom line:

cde8d601af1d59fc2a830192d17a1cfb.jpg?v=240000

9eeab730719d14861506920ea785951e.jpg?v=240000

f258a81e662f9f557ae0de0d21fe008b.jpg?v=240000

I sure wish I had a camera capable of better close-up resolution.
Here is a (poor) photo of the V-35 landspeeder next to a 1/32d scale figure (an Imperial officer from the Unleased battle pack line), and the escape pod flanked by a pair of 1/35th scale figures (surrendering French tankers from DML, which seemed vaguely appropriate).
You can see that something's wrong with the vehicle lengths - because Biggsy's model measurements ARE accurate, and the numbers pan out as presented with the information given.
The escape pod isn't THAT far off, but I'd still say it's a bit tweaked; probably about 1/48th or so.

5a483e60e8aa856b4a0dba2142d102cf.jpg?v=240000

Found my Action Fleet. More to follow.

EDIT: That Unleashed guy is a bit big for 1/32d (54mm); they had "scale creep," too. He's probably about 1/28th. BUT, 1/32d is still bigger than the Frenchmen shown, so it still shows the speeder's stated measurement is off.

Well, the speeder is still a total mystery to me. But as long as it looks good with the minis, i'm fine with it! The escape pods listed size is somewhat small compared to what we see in Episode IV, i think that might explain it.
That tank is perfect though, nice find. As some already have mentioned, some of the other Transformers vehicles (the AAT for example) are also usable.

I was wondering if anyone collects or has any of the Titanium 3" models? There's a few that might be interesting i think, but i can't find measurements or scale anywhere. Are they all exactly 3 inches or does that vary from one model to another?
I collect it ALL, Biggsy. I'm such a Star Wars collectibles bitch. My poor, poor wife.
The Titaniums vary somewhat, but are all about the same size; "box scale" is still that, even if the "box" is eentsy. Nothing but a speeder bike comes close to matching SWM. Best to hang with Action Fleet, Revell snapkits and the occasional 3 1/2" action figure or Transformer piece (if you can aquire the Hasbro sandcrawler, you will be happy). There's even a current-release 3 1/2" Anakin with a Naboo Star Skiff, which would make a dandy accessory!
I didn't really wanna co-opt this thread with my posts, but I see time is passing and there's no other replies - so I figger I may as well fill in some of Biggsy's gaps:

dcffe753bc5a7f0a82962ddeebd74d00.jpg?v=240000

B-WING
Length: 16.9 m (I'm assuming lengthwise, cockpit pod to gun pod)
Model length: 16 cm
Scale: 1/106

Y-WING
Length: 16 m
Model Length: 17 cm
Scale: 1/100

b24d526b9e9886b7b69d8a71f83edfa8.jpg?v=240000

VULTURE DROID
Length: 3.6 m
Model Length: 15 cm
Scale: 1/24

So the Vulture is too big even for that Unleashed figure! Would be acceptable company for the Revell AT-RT, though. Or for strafing car models.

DID I do the math right?
Well Imperator, i can't exactly say that i'm surprised you also collect the Titaniums Wink

I didn't even think of the speeder bikes when i looked at the titanium models. I think they will actually do quite well, almost to scale with the minis it seems. I already went ahead and ordered a few and look forward to seeing them alongside the WotC ones.
What about the Vulture Droid? It looks like it might be close to the Droid Starfighter in walking mode.

Feel free to fill in the gaps in my collection. It also helps me decide what to get and what not. The Vulture Droid for example, i'm definitely going to pass on that one. It looks good but is way too big. The others are small, but might make the cut anyway.

I would really really like to have that sandcrawler Tongue out but it's way too expensive. I'd rather throw my money at one of those Code 3 Republic Gunships you posted pictures of in another thread. It must be the best looking version out there. I'm getting a Revell soon but i would love a Code 3.

3 3/4" Imperial Shuttle would also be cool to have!

Check THIS fun group out:

296c664ed8879667567923832f8f4391.jpg?v=240000

The math formula I'm trying to use is clearly wrong, and it's really frustrating me. Both the Vulture and Luke's speeder came up as 1/20something, which would be huge figures. VISUALLY, I'd say the Vulture is about 1/32d... but I don't know how to arrive at that. Similarly, Luke's speeder looks to be quite a nice minis fit - a far cry from "model car scale," which is about what I arrive at mathematically. I've looked online but cannot find a formula that translates a model with a known actual length/height into a percentage; I'm good at some things, but that sort of thing isn't one of 'em.
ANYway:

SKYHOPPER
Height: 10.4 m high
Model Height: 14 cm high
Scale: 1/74

LUKE'S LANDSPEEDER
Length: 3.4 m
Model Length: 11.5 cm
Scale: 1/30

SWOOPS:
Length: 2.5 m ("Flare-S")
Model Length: 6.5 cm
Scale: ?

The swoops are actually Titaniums.

The way i do it is just convert the 'real life' length to the same measurement units as the model, and then divide it with the model length. Ex. the Skyhopper is 10,4 meters = 1040 cm tall. Divide 1040 with 14 and you get 74,28... So roughly 1:74 scale.
Yes, that is apparently exactly it, Biggsy. I just gleaned that from "Hobby Talk," where they understand such things.
So similarly, with the information we have, the Vulture droid in my photo at 3.6 meters (actual) converts to 360 cm, and you get:
360 divided by 15 = 24, or 1/24th.
SO, in the cases where stuff seems way off, apparently the source information is incorrect; now, Lucasfilm playing massively fast & loose with scale anyway, by their own admission, It may fall upon the fans to compare movie visuals and re-assess the size.
'Cos there's no way that the Luke's landspeeder in my pic is 1/30th, f'rinstance! Maybe for the guy's KID. I suppose well-to-do families have lil' replica speeders for their spoiled brats....

EDIT: So who the Hell cares. Well, we're trying to find toys & models that are roughly compatible to SWM, but we need to have good source information first for it to have a point.
There!
Tidied up those seams, gave it a couple coats of semi-gloss, added a handful of blast points and gave it some light weathering. A simple job that turned this Transformer into a nice little accessory!
And one that's in production, and at an affordable price.

011c3a6cbfda4a11fa817d486d30ca4a.jpg?v=240000

a96bdd34c297280d24a8b298f09ed7ff.jpg?v=240000
As a side note, I'm a Collector first, a modeller/hobbyist second and a Gamer third (big surprise). As such, I've been spending a lot of time over on the Starship Modeller boards, where folks care about the stuff I care about.
But it's worth a look for anybody who likes Star Wars, or any sci-fi subject; THOSE guys are in the shiite! Often Masters, my feeble, infantile skills are just shameful compared to what these folks are doing. There's a thread about a huge 1/350th resin Corellian Corvette that the builder is reinforcing with plastic tubing. One maniac is building an EIGHT FOOT LONG Star Destroyer from scratch, using the same parts ILM used. The detail is staggering.
Oh, and then there's the Battlestar Galactica sub-board....
Incredible stuff! And just beautiful.
Oh - and you can buy stuff there, too.

www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/index.php
Well Imperator, i can't exactly say that i'm surprised you also collect the Titaniums

I didn't even think of the speeder bikes when i looked at the titanium models. I think they will actually do quite well, almost to scale with the minis it seems. I already went ahead and ordered a few and look forward to seeing them alongside the WotC ones.
What about the Vulture Droid? It looks like it might be close to the Droid Starfighter in walking mode.

Feel free to fill in the gaps in my collection. It also helps me decide what to get and what not. The Vulture Droid for example, i'm definitely going to pass on that one. It looks good but is way too big. The others are small, but might make the cut anyway.

I would really really like to have that sandcrawler  but it's way too expensive. I'd rather throw my money at one of those Code 3 Republic Gunships you posted pictures of in another thread. It must be the best looking version out there. I'm getting a Revell soon but i would love a Code 3.

3 3/4" Imperial Shuttle would also be cool to have!

Well Biggsy, I hope that Gunship win was YOU, 'cos $99 for this is like almost a federal offense!

I didn't win anything, was it a Code 3? 'Cause then i'm very jealous of whoever did Undecided

But i did get a notification that my Revell AT-TE was shipped (finally!). So hopefully i will have it within a week or so. Really looking forward to finding out how big it is. I'll add it to the list with pictures and everything.

I didn't win anything, was it a Code 3? 'Cause then i'm very jealous of whoever did Undecided

But i did get a notification that my Revell AT-TE was shipped (finally!). So hopefully i will have it within a week or so. Really looking forward to finding out how big it is. I'll add it to the list with pictures and everything.

I'll be waiting to see how it looks.  If it's a good scale, I will likely get one, too.  Thanks in advance, Biggsy!
IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL

It Was a Code 3.

WHERE did you get the AT-TE from?? I'm watching my sites like a hawk, no joy yet.

In scale ships add a nice dimension to role playing and custom gaming. And I've seen some well thought out stats for some from time to time as well.
WHERE did you get the AT-TE from?? I'm watching my sites like a hawk, no joy yet

I bought mine from Wonderland Models based in the UK. And guess what, i just got it in the mail today! Along with the Republic Gunship and the ARC-170 Starfighter, it's been added to post #46.

The model is 22,5 cm including the mass driver, and about 18,5 cm without. My 1:59 scale is based on the assumption that the 13,2 meters stated on wookieepedia is including the mass driver as well. Otherwise, the model is about 1:71.
It Was a Code 3

That lucky son of a Bothan Surprised
Oooh. So does that mean the AT-TE is a good size? It looks perhaps a little small ...

~ Benjamin Franklin

It is a little small. The stated scale is "1/98th," though that might actually be TOO small. But anyway, it'll get the job done for minis gaming; as I said before some of WotC's own pieces are too small as well.
ANYway, I got home from work and found to my delight that, suddenly and without previous warning, they're all in stock at Tower Hobbies!! I bit the bullet and ordered the Big Two - the AT-TE and AAT. Of course, for what the things cost I'll dicker with them at least a little.
More to follow, then!
Waiting for my models, tapping my fingers....

A fellow on Starship Modeler said he got the Assault Shuttle and it's BIG. 20" wingspan!

Tower Hobbies is apparently fully loaded on all of them, should you be interested.

Here's a couple more Action Fleet to try and keep the thread/site alive:

647dcb996c689c5c5a6e0ec1536cd075.jpg?v=240000

GIAN SPEEDER
Length: 5.7 m
Model length: 14 cm
Scale: 1/41 (not believing THAT)

10010e7b418fb081054d788b1be4e471.jpg?v=240000

BONGO
Length: 15 m
Model length: 16.5 cm
Scale: 1/91
Is there a Millenium Falcon that is pretty close in scale to these miniatures?
The best shot is the (old) MPC Falcon, which is in the neighborhood of 1/78th and so still too small. Hell, a fraction too small even for 1/72d!
But there's no other real option.

EDIT: Okay, there's one other. Finemolds makes a 1/72d glue-model for, uh, some $200.
Currently OOP, but re-release expected soon.
The best shot is the (old) MPC Falcon, which is in the neighborhood of 1/78th and so still too small. Hell, a fraction too small even for 1/72d!
But there's no other real option.

EDIT: Okay, there's one other. Finemolds makes a 1/72d glue-model for, uh, some $200.
Currently OOP, but re-release expected soon.

Thanks much Imperator58!
Okay!
Finally got the Revell AT-TE done. No huge rush, since the pic has already been shown here, plus once it became clear it just wasn't the right one for SWM I just didn't have quite the motivation level I had with the AAT. But, there's still some fun things to play with, so let's go!

From left to right we have:
My little Russkie guest in 1/87th scale (HO/00).
A Rebel pilot from the Micromachines figure battle packs. I had figured them at 1/81st, but he sure looks like HO to me, next to the Russian soldier.
An ancient Egyptian visitor in 1/72d - one of the most prolific scales.
And, our Clone from SWM in appr. 1/54th scale.
SO, next:

Is this what we want?
Pretty much, NO. SWM makes the AT-TE look like a station wagon.

Or is this more like it? The AT-TE is shown in company of a group of Micromachine Stormtroopers (somewhere around 1/81st & 1/87th). I think it's better, but based on Incredible Cross-Sections I'd have to say thet here the minis are actually a bit too SMALL. This definitely makes the stated scale of 1/98th off. The AT-TE is big, but not quite this big.

Now here's the AT-TE kit in the company or Revell's LAAT, which is pretty well accepted among modeling circles as about 1/72d scale. Comparing the figures in the LAAT's door, the two vehicles' relative size, and the notion of using a modified LAAT as a dropship for the AT-TE, I personally think we have a winnah: 1/72d scale (or thereabouts).

As a final side note, here's the Revell AT-TE next to Revell's monstrous, earlier AT-AT (which IS good for SWM). The AT-AT looks like it's considering peeing on the poor lil' guy (can I say that?).
Happy gaming (and modeling!)
OK, but if the AT-TE is in scale with the LAAT, and we're using the LAAT as a SWM model, wouldn't that mean the AT-TE is OK too, even if it's a little on the small side?

Is that Revell AT-AT in scale with WotC's AT-AT? Just curious, because I happen to have one of WotC's AT-ATs, so I don't need one of those ...

~ Benjamin Franklin

Sign In to post comments