Any good red or colorless card draw?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
What the title says.  Solid Red deck.  Everything I've found so far costs 5 mana, which so far has meant that by the time I get it out I get 0 or 1 cards before it gets nuked, the game ends, I want mana for something else, the condition is thwarted b/c I need to do something else, etc.  So, ya, that makes them worse than not having any card draw.  I also removed skull clamp because my solid red deck has barely any creatures and so far it only works about half the time.

I am aware of howling mine, temple bell and so on, but those help my opponents too and while it'd be real nice I'm not desperate for card draw in this particular deck.  I'm currently more focused on boosting my mana.  Or am I missing something with this logic?  The deck contains a lot of equipment, enchants and buffs for my general Lu Bu, Master-at-Arms (the focus of the deck), plus mana to fuel it all and various defensive cards to survive without creatures.

Are there any better options or am I better off forgetting about card draw in solid red?
Culling Dais and Infiltration Lens were just printed.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Super low creature deck, general is unblockable (horsemanship) Cry 

Thanks though. 

3DH4LIF3

Super low creature deck, general is unblockable (horsemanship)  

Thanks though. 

Culling Dais comes with 2 charge counters on it already, so you don't need creatures to use it (two cards for 2 mana and then 1 mana is a good deal no matter how you slice it). However, you can add charge counters to it in response to the inevitable removal spells your opponents will cast on your general.

Them: Condemn Lu Bu!
You: Well, I would really rather put him back in my Command Zone, and I'd like to draw some cards on my next turn, so I'll just sacrifice him instead.

Mask of Memory might work for you, the old EDH staple is Sword of Fire and Ice. Most card draw starts around 4-5 mana Mind's Eye, Illuminated Folio, or has conditions attached, Mindstorm Crown, Bottled Cloister, the landfall one, Horn of Greed, Well of Knowledge, etc. And many of those help your opponents in the same way as Wheel of Fortune.

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

Culling Dais comes with 2 charge counters on it already, so you don't need creatures to use it (two cards for 2 mana and then 1 mana is a good deal no matter how you slice it). However, you can add charge counters to it in response to the inevitable removal spells your opponents will cast on your general.

What? I see nowhere on the card that it enters the battlefield with two charge counters on it.

What? I see nowhere on the card that it enters the battlefield with two charge counters on it.

Wow... I'm not sure how I conjured that line of text. Good thing you pointed that out to me before I bought 4 copied for each of my decks.

Still, my other point about it still stands. It can protect your general from any removal that sends it anywhere other than exile or the graveyard, and if it would go to exile or the graveyard anyways, you can still use Culling Dais to get a counter.

Temple Bell is good and efficient, especially combined with Mind's Eye.

Skullclamp combined with a reliable sac card (such as Spawning Pit) is the single best card drawing engine in the whole of Magic.
I support the use of Skullclamp. You're main plan is to win by General damage, and as soon as your opponents notice this, he'll have a bigger and bigger target on his head. Therefor, drawing 2 cards everytime they manage to kill him is a good thing. It also makes a nice draw engine with Goblin Assault.
Wow... I'm not sure how I conjured that line of text. Good thing you pointed that out to me before I bought 4 copied for each of my decks.

Still, my other point about it still stands. It can protect your general from any removal that sends it anywhere other than exile or the graveyard, and if it would go to exile or the graveyard anyways, you can still use Culling Dais to get a counter.

Indeed, the card is not bad (especially in monored), it just isn't a colorless, slightly better Divination.

Culling Dials is a good thing to keep on the board until someone tries to kill it, then you say, "Fine, I'll just draw three cards."

Temple Bell is good and efficient, especially combined with Mind's Eye.

Skullclamp combined with a reliable sac card (such as Spawning Pit) is the single best card drawing engine in the whole of Magic.

Mind's Eye is one of the best draw spells at your disposal. Being in red, It's hard for me to recommend you play something like Temple Bell, because you're going to be hard-pressed to find card advantage. For example, you draw Searing Wind, and they draw Harmonize. When they play Harmonize, they draw their Iona, Shield of Emeria, a Cryptic Command, and an Enlisted Wurm. You don't want to help them draw any of those things.

Instead, you just play Mind's Eye, so when they pay :2mana: to draw three cards, you're like, "I'll pay :3mana: to draw three, too."

I'm not personally a fan of Spawning Pit, but Skullclamp is incredible with anything that can make 1/1's. Siege-Gang Commander comes to mind, and Emrakul's Hatcher is also cool.

I support the use of Skullclamp. You're main plan is to win by General damage, and as soon as your opponents notice this, he'll have a bigger and bigger target on his head. Therefor, drawing 2 cards everytime they manage to kill him is a good thing. It also makes a nice draw engine with Goblin Assault.

Goblin Assault works incredbly with Skullclamp, just be careful you aren't playing Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker or some other goblin you don't want attacking.
I don't think anyone has mentioned Sensei's Divining Top yet.
I don't think anyone has mentioned Sensei's Divining Top yet.

I wouldn't really consider that card draw, but it certainly is good card selection. Crystal Ball doesn't hurt while you're at it.
There's Browbeat, Dragon Mage, Knollspine Dragon, Fiery Gambit, Chandra Ablaze, Control of the Court, Dreamstone Hedron, Sorcerer's Strongbox, Candles of Leng (Well it's better than Jayemdae Tome) Maybe Geth's Grimoire, Mindstone, Memory Jar, Seer's Sundial, Horn of Greed, Howling Mine, Font of Mythos, Relic of Progenitus I suppose, Goblin Artisans, Goblin Lore, Mindmoil, Sensation Gorger, Bazaar of Bahgdad, Library of Alexandria, Wheel of Fortune, Wheel of Fate, Arcane Spyglass... Blasted Landscape, and while it isn't strictly draw, Darksteel Pendant, Planar Portal.

Maybe Chandra Nalaar, I mean, a planeswalker's like getting a spell a turn.  There's loads of red cards that do something, then let you draw, or let you draw next turn, or do something when you cycle them too.
Checked back on this thread for more ideas for my non-EDH elemental deck.  Skullclamp would of course be beyond awesome on 1 toughness elementals that die at the end of turn like ball lightning, but it's not allowed.  So far I'm going with culling dais.  It's a budget deck and it sacs creatures so fast it might even do better than the more expensive browbeat.

I settled on browbeat for Lu Bu.  I noticed culling dais replaces despotic scepter for resuce against control / pacifism / shuffle into library / etc., so I'll go get that purely for that reason later.  I dunno why someone would think I can keep paying 6,8,10,12, etc. mana for my general "b/c he's such a target he'll get killed a lot".  If the games not over by that time then he's not really good enough to be a target now is he?  Typically I bring him out once or twice and either my opponent's dead or I was killed before I could finish the job.

I threw in a few horsemanship creatures as backup damage equipment users, so I might be tempted to use the mask of memory on them when Lu Bu is fine and I don't need the backup.  But dumping 5-6 mana and 2 cards into such a venture would take 5+ turns to come out ahead, so I doubt it.  More likely the backup creature would squat in my hand while I use that mana to play another mana acceleration or equipment or swing with Lu Bu.

Checked back on this thread for more ideas for my non-EDH elemental deck.  Skullclamp would of course be beyond awesome on 1 toughness elementals that die at the end of turn like ball lightning, but it's not allowed.  So far I'm going with culling dais.  It's a budget deck and it sacs creatures so fast it might even do better than the more expensive browbeat.

I settled on browbeat for Lu Bu.  I noticed culling dais replaces despotic scepter for resuce against control / pacifism / shuffle into library / etc., so I'll go get that purely for that reason later.  I dunno why someone would think I can keep paying 6,8,10,12, etc. mana for my general "b/c he's such a target he'll get killed a lot".  If the games not over by that time then he's not really good enough to be a target now is he?  Typically I bring him out once or twice and either my opponent's dead or I was killed before I could finish the job.

I threw in a few horsemanship creatures as backup damage equipment users, so I might be tempted to use the mask of memory on them when Lu Bu is fine and I don't need the backup.  But dumping 5-6 mana and 2 cards into such a venture would take 5+ turns to come out ahead, so I doubt it.  More likely the backup creature would squat in my hand while I use that mana to play another mana acceleration or equipment or swing with Lu Bu.

I think I like Carnage Altar better than the dais. Or maybe Phyrexian Vault

3DH4LIF3

Sign In to post comments