Spoils of the Vault

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are there any cards that work particularly well with Spoils of the Vault? All I can think of are cards that let you see the top card of your library.

Does the card seem like a decent tutor in a normal, 60-card format, considering its instant status and low mana cost?

How crippling is it that the card exiles cards instead of either shuffling them back, or putting them into the graveyard? Are there any ways to 'fix' this problem?
If you feel risky, it could grab Death's Shadow.

The exiling part is not very crippling, but the fact that it can kill you pretty easily is. 
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are there any cards that work particularly well with Spoils of the Vault? All I can think of are cards that let you see the top card of your library.

Does the card seem like a decent tutor in a normal, 60-card format, considering its instant status and low mana cost?

How crippling is it that the card exiles cards instead of either shuffling them back, or putting them into the graveyard? Are there any ways to 'fix' this problem?

Death's Shadow might be funny with Angel's Grace and naming a card not in your library.  

As for the exiled cards, you could pair it with Mirror of Fate.

If you intend to win, exiling cards shouldn't be a problem.  The whole point of the one black mana instant tutor is that you get exactly what you want at the cost of your life and library.  That should swing the game mightily into your favour.  If not, well, your gambit has failed and perhaps your opponent's deck had the advantage the whole time.

All that Spoils of the Vault and its lesser cousin Demonic Consultation require is for the caster to know exactly what is in his deck.

I've seen players deck themselves due to a poor card choice for the Demonic Consultation; it was funny, and as a casual game it didn't matter in the long run, but the lesson is there.  If you don't really know your deck, it may kill you.

That said, Magic is about resource management.  Your library and life totals are as much resources as cards in hand, lands and permanents in play, and the graveyard.   Black takes advantage of this by providing you the option to win.

Combo decks particularly enjoy being able to have any card in hand at instant speed.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.

Death's Shadow might be funny with Angel's Grace and naming a card not in your library.  

As for the exiled cards, you could pair it with Mirror of Fate.

If you intend to win, exiling cards shouldn't be a problem.  The whole point of the one black mana instant tutor is that you get exactly what you want at the cost of your life and library.  That should swing the game mightily into your favour.  If not, well, your gambit has failed and perhaps your opponent's deck had the advantage the whole time.

Spoils is life loss, and Angel's Grace doesn't prevent life loss. As soon as the turn is over you will lose for having 0 life, unless you really plan to get two Death's Shadow out and give them haste.

As for Spoils, the Exiled cards don't make much of a difference as long as you're playing a lot of 3-ofs and 4-ofs. the aforementioned Demonic Consultation is banned/restricted for a reason, it gets what you need and the RFG'ed cards don't matter. Spoils is a great tutor if you don't mind it randomly killing you every once in a while. It occasionally finds its way into competitive combo decks but is usually substituted for something else after a while, something that DOESN'T kill you.

you could run black blue with the mass amount of blue that lets you reorganize the top few cards of your library..[/c]brainstorm[/c]an instant 1 mana or tehre is always soothsaying I use that one alot in my blue decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
you could run black blue with the mass amount of blue that lets you reorganize the top few cards of your library..[/c]brainstorm[/c]an instant 1 mana or tehre is always soothsaying I use that one alot in my blue decks

You can just use Brainstorm to get whatever card you're looking for instead of it AND Spoils.
Trying to manipulate or peek at the top card of your library in order to get a safe Spoils of the Vault rather defeats the purpose of it.  At that point, it's essentially just plain "draw a card" instant for (with potentially dangerous consequences if your opponent interferes). 

Spoils is life loss, and Angel's Grace doesn't prevent life loss. As soon as the turn is over you will lose for having 0 life, unless you really plan to get two Death's Shadow out and give them haste.

That is correct, Angel's Grace does not prevent loss of life.  It does prevent you from losing the game for what ever reason.

Why two Death's Shadow?  Why should not one be enough when your life total is negative?
3/1/2010 If your life total is less than 0 and an effect (such as the one from an opponent's Abyssal Persecutor) is keeping you from losing the game, Death's Shadow's ability will actually increase its power and toughness. For example, if your life total is -2, Death's Shadow gets +2/+2.

As for giving it haste, you don't even need to attack if you use somthing like Fling or Rite of Consumption.

Tainted Sigil, Sanguine Bond, Plunge Into Darkness

Use Spoils of the Vault to find whatever part of the combo you're missing, Plunge Into Darkness down to 1 life, and sacrifice the Sigil for lots of life gain/opponent life loss. Add in the aforementioned Angel's Grace for safety.
It's a REALLY awesome card in the sunny side up decks. (I've only played the newer version so I don't know how well it works in the older)
You are going off 3rd turn or something but you keep hitting lands. That's one of the major ways to fizzle. If you know you would fizzle, sometimes you could work your way out of it and get everything in play. Sometimes, you can't. That's when you think "I really, really need Second Sunrise otherwise everything will be in my graveyard and I will die." So you risk it and name Second Sunrise and hope for the best. It's rather unlikely that you will lose to this because if you had been drawing lots of cards and none of them were Second Sunrises, it means there is a higher chance of it being the next card compared to if you hadn't.
For decks that I would like help with: I would like to have discussions about card choices so almost all the cards aren't final. Usually I want to stick to the original deck idea unless it really sucks or something else.

3/1/2010 If your life total is less than 0 and an effect (such as the one from an opponent's Abyssal Persecutor) is keeping you from losing the game, Death's Shadow's ability will actually increase its power and toughness. For example, if your life total is -2, Death's Shadow gets +2/+2.

As for giving it haste, you don't even need to attack if you use somthing like Fling or Rite of Consumption.

It would be hideously awesome to have Death's Shadow on the field and then deck yourself with Spoils as a combat trick to win the game. as already stated, Angel's Grace makes this doable. You may even use something like Wheel of Sun and Moon to put cards back into your library. I imagine this to be especially cool when you Rite of Consumption your Death's Shadow, probably killing an opponent while gaining enough life to stay in the game if you're playing multiplayer.

It would be hideously awesome to have Death's Shadow on the field and then deck yourself with Spoils as a combat trick to win the game. as already stated, Angel's Grace makes this doable. You may even use something like Wheel of Sun and Moon to put cards back into your library. I imagine this to be especially cool when you Rite of Consumption your Death's Shadow, probably killing an opponent while gaining enough life to stay in the game if you're playing multiplayer.

Please explain the purpose of Wheel of Sun and Moon when Spoils of the Vault exiles cards.

Please explain the purpose of Wheel of Sun and Moon when Spoils of the Vault exiles cards.

When Spoils of the Vault has exiled your library, Wheel of Sun and Moon will cause Spoils of the Vault (and Death's Shadow and Rite of Consumption) to be put back into your library, thus preventing you from ever decking yourself. It's generally not a good strategy to exile your library in multiplayer games just to take down one player, but with the Wheel you can keep yourself in the game afterwards if you used Rite of Consumption to get your life total above 0 before Angel's Grace wears off.

Incedentially, you could take down 2 players at once if you use Angel's Grace + Spoils of the Vault to kill a player with combat damage, and then Rite another opponent in your post-combat main phase.
Sign In to post comments