When are we getting our CB update?

119 posts / 0 new
Last post
Man, I really don't care about all this essentials hype, but I would REALLY like to get psionic power into my character builder.

Come on! I'm paying to get up to date books into this program, and so far it seems I'll have to wait YET ANOTHER month for it.

So what am I paying for?

Viva Chile mierrrr...!!!

Soon

At this point, it's true.  There is no date, just a vague suggestion that there will be one in "early October"...AKA Soontm.

Side effects of Soon include irritability, ulcers, and headaches.  Do not taunt Soon.  Consult your doctor before using Soon.  If Symptoms persist, cancel your DDI subscription and go for a walk.
So what am I paying for?

As a person unable to afford a subscription, let me go ahead and mention all of the things you have access to that I don't so that you can see that you are getting what you are being sold:

Dragon Magazine
Dungeon Magazine
Access to art galleries containing art from recently released books
Access to map galleries containing the maps from recently released things with maps
Any of a number of these things in part prior to the whole being completed
Monster Builder (and any other tools that join it)

...and also Character Builder, which is updated as regularly as possible... and is actually, to my surprise, a monthly fee included in the current pricing of all those other things and not a one-time purchase of $20-$30 bucks that got you just the PHB 1, and a serious of updates sold in the vein of $10 for each PHB or Power book release, $5 for every 4 to 6 issues worth of Dragon/Dungeon exclusives bundled together, and $2 for every "oh, and there was a new item in this adventure that we decided to include in the database."

What you get is well worth the price that is asked - you should try to enjoy it more, and do a little less of that whole gift, horse, mouth thing.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

What you get is well worth the price that is asked - you should try to enjoy it more, and do a little less of that whole gift, horse, mouth thing.

That is something to keep in mind. Subscribers get more than nonsubscribers. It is a truism, but still, we get good stuff.

But...it's not a gift horse if we pay for it, and we damn well ought to check its teeth.
So what am I paying for?

As a person unable to afford a subscription, let me go ahead and mention all of the things you have access to that I don't so that you can see that you are getting what you are being sold:

Dragon Magazine
Dungeon Magazine
Access to art galleries containing art from recently released books
Access to map galleries containing the maps from recently released things with maps
Any of a number of these things in part prior to the whole being completed
Monster Builder (and any other tools that join it)

...and also Character Builder, which is updated as regularly as possible... and is actually, to my surprise, a monthly fee included in the current pricing of all those other things and not a one-time purchase of $20-$30 bucks that got you just the PHB 1, and a serious of updates sold in the vein of $10 for each PHB or Power book release, $5 for every 4 to 6 issues worth of Dragon/Dungeon exclusives bundled together, and $2 for every "oh, and there was a new item in this adventure that we decided to include in the database."

Unfortunatedly I'm not able to pay for those separatedly, otherwise I'd just pay for my up to date CB.

And since I am paying for it, instead of just finding a torrent, I am quite sure that I get to demand what's been offered. That's the whole point in paying for it in the first place.

Viva Chile mierrrr...!!!

Looks like I didn't miss an update while I was out of the country.

This... is disturbing.

Really disturbing.

Wheres the best place to get caught up to date?  Can someone tell me or drop me a link to where I can know what in the nine hells is going on?

This... is disturbing.

Really disturbing.

Wheres the best place to get caught up to date?  Can someone tell me or drop me a link to where I can know what in the nine hells is going on?

Long story short:

September 7th update pushed back to September 21st.
September 21st update pushed back to early october.
Due to no update in september, people who want refund can contact WotC and ask for refund. No stories of anyone getting refused reported to date.
No October update indicated on Editorial Calendar.
WolfStar76 and I note that we wish we could tell what we know but aren't allowed to say due to NDA.
WotC_Trevor indicates that there still is an October update planned, but he can't give more yet, but will do so as soon as he can.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere

This... is disturbing.

Really disturbing.

Long story short:

Due to no update in september, people who want refund can contact WotC and ask for refund. No stories of anyone getting refused reported to date.
WolfStar76 and I note that we wish we could tell what we know but aren't allowed to say due to NDA.
WotC_Trevor indicates that there still is an October update planned, but he can't give more yet, but will do so as soon as he can.

This question/reply should be stickied at the top of every forum so that folks returning don't have to wade through 20 pages of "but I'm owed" "No you're not" threads.  Lock it and update the timeline when we get a new bit of news.
IMAGE(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/SoulCatcher78/techdevil78.jpg)

Long story short:

Nice to get an answer. You really should sticky this info on the top of the forum.

Viva Chile mierrrr...!!!

This... is disturbing.

Really disturbing.

Long story short:

This question/reply should be stickied at the top of every forum so that folks returning don't have to wade through 20 pages of "but I'm owed" "No you're not" threads.  Lock it and update the timeline when we get a new bit of news.

Would be pointless, they would have to GIVE a bit of news first.

over two months ago, we were told that we would have more information "soon". When an official comes on these boards and posts that theres information forthcoming soon, I take that to mean next week sometime because of their strict no information policy. But no. we've been waiting months. And now we have another official post stating we'll have an update "soon"

So yeah, not holding my breath.

That may be true but it is going on a week since I have heard anything from WotC about my refund.  Last message was please submit some verification info, did that and now 5+ days later not a peep.  Hey, maybe I will be the first report on a non-payment.  Stay tuned.
Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.

That may be true but it is going on a week since I have heard anything from WotC about my refund.  Last message was please submit some verification info, did that and now 5+ days later not a peep.  Hey, maybe I will be the first report on a non-payment.  Stay tuned.

I have poked WotC to see what I can find out. It being the weekend, I doubt I will get an answer until mondayish.
I have poked WotC to see what I can find out. It being the weekend, I doubt I will get an answer until mondayish.

Thanks, I appreciate the effort.  I know all about weekends, love them....  unless I am on-call

I really am not expecting a refund, since it won't change my mind, I consider it money already spent.    For something/nothing does not matter either way at this point.  6 bucks will not even buy me a six pack of my favorite beer.  I guess I could get some McDoubles tho....

I just wanted to experience the refund process to see if it was as borked up as most everything else has been.  I recall over a year ago some issues with the billing service WotC chose and I was just checking the waters again.  It would speak volumes to see if they even worked on fixing that issue or if they have left it as business as usual, as I suspect.

So, while your gesture was from a servant's heart you do not have to put forth any herculean efforts on this.  People posting refunds in 20 hours seemed a bit "exaggerated" to me and I had to find out if it was possible.

Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.
Go ahead and show us all where you were promised a monthly update in your contract or purchase agreement. Oh, you can't? Why? Because it doesn't exist. An offer is not a guarantee.

DDI is more than a character builder, as many people have already stated. One of the many parts of a total package, none of which are set in stone. The fact that anyone is being refunded anything speaks volumes for their commitment to provide customers with outstanding care and support. They don't have to, but they apparently are because there are enough people having hissy-fits about being patient, or having to buy books. Cry me a river.

It's embarrassing that this is even an issue. Be patient, go buy the actual books, and deal with it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to pencil-in sheet edits. Do you have an actual legitimate reason to complain, or are you simply bitching and moaning about the delay because of the principle?
There's a big difference between being a rotten child and standing up for what you've been offered. Try to keep the discussion above the 2 digit IQ border.

Go ahead and show us all where you were promised a monthly update in your contract or purchase agreement. Oh, you can't? Why? Because it doesn't exist. An offer is not a guarantee.

From the Character Builder FAQ

Q: Can I use the D&D Character Builder offline?
A: Yes! You need a connection to download it initially. Subscribers get the initial download and can decide whether they want the monthly updates. Aside from that, you don't need to be online to use the Character Builder.

Monthy updates are also in the monster builder FAQ.

So please, revise your statement.
There's a big difference between being a rotten child and standing up for what you've been offered. Try to keep the discussion above the 2 digit IQ border.

People PAY MONEY to have access to the character builder and it's functionality so they don't have to pencil in sheet edits.
What Sijal said: the entire reason I subscribe to DDI is so I don't have to do this tedious crap by hand. If I was going to do this by hand, I wouldn't be a subscriber.
I've been looking at these threads.  I too wonder why all the angst for an update being late. 

I can still use the MB and CB, I can still log into the Compendium.  I still get Dragon and Dungeon Content (and I really like the Art and Map downloads).  Not to mention all of the 3.x content that anyone can still get from the archives

One thing that DDI has done is sell me on 4E and picking up nearly all of the Core and Essentials books.  I find that I find more of the options when I can see them side by side. 

I'm looking forward to whatever is "coming soon"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

So, while your gesture was from a servant's heart you do not have to put forth any herculean efforts on this.  People posting refunds in 20 hours seemed a bit "exaggerated" to me and I had to find out if it was possible.

The 20 hours was happening at the very beginning. Since then, I am assuming that the number of people applying for refunds is increasing each day. (Exponential?? Geometric?? Logarithomic??) so the length of time for the responses will probably increase.

As for not putting forth a hurculean effort, this is part of the duties of my position. While I may not be able to get info about your case in particular, as I know that WotC takes the security of personal information very seriously, I hope to get info on the lag-time from sending in of account info to the transacrtion being processed.

A: Yes! You need a connection to download it initially. Subscribers get the initial download and can decide whether they want the monthly updates. Aside from that, you don't need to be online to use the Character Builder.

No need to revise anything, in fact. I asked, "where you were promised a monthly update in your contract or purchase agreement." The FAQ is not an agreement, contract, or legal binding of any kind, in any sense of the word. Nor is it what you paid for. The FAQ is just a rought guideline for what you can expect. So, please, proved what I asked for, or stop whining. If you signed up for the CB and only the CB, that's fine. As I said, that would be a reason to ask for a refund, even though being lazy is hardly an acceptable excuse in my opinion. Then go ahead and return all the extra goodies that you're not using, and delete the countless amounts of Dragon Magazine, Dungeon, and whatever additional bonus material you also get along with DDI from the CB itself, while you're at it.

The big picture... you're missing it.

People PAY MONEY to have access to the character builder and it's functionality so they don't have to pencil in sheet edits.

Odd. My CB still works perfectly. I must have the super deluxe edition, I suppose.
I've been looking at these threads.  I too wonder why all the angst for an update being late. 

I can still use the MB and CB, I can still log into the Compendium.  I still get Dragon and Dungeon Content (and I really like the Art and Map downloads).  Not to mention all of the 3.x content that anyone can still get from the archives

One thing that DDI has done is sell me on 4E and picking up nearly all of the Core and Essentials books.  I find that I find more of the options when I can see them side by side. 

Yes, you can still use the Character and Monster Builders...provided you don't want to use anything from Dark Sun, Psionic Power, Essentials, or anything from any magazine past July.

Odd. My CB still works perfectly. I must have the super deluxe edition, I suppose.

Ditto what I said to the other guy.

No need to revise anything, in fact. I asked, "where you were promised a monthly update in your contract or purchase agreement." The FAQ is not an agreement, contract, or legal binding of any kind, in any sense of the word. Nor is it what you paid for. The FAQ is just a rought guideline for what you can expect. So, please, proved what I asked for, or stop whining. If you signed up for the CB and only the CB, that's fine. As I said, that would be a reason to ask for a refund, even though being lazy is hardly an acceptable excuse in my opinion. Then go ahead and return all the extra goodies that you're not using, and delete the countless amounts of Dragon Magazine, Dungeon, and whatever additional bonus material you also get along with DDI from the CB itself, while you're at it.

The big picture... you're missing it.

The FAQ is not a rough guideline. Thats the list of ingredients, or the picture on the box. It's like buying a box of cherios at the store, opening it, and getting bran flakes. They offer monthy updates, They advertise monthly updates. IN MORE THAN ONE SPOT.

And if people could pay Ala Carte, I'm sure they would. but they do not offer that option, instead they shove all the other crap in with DDI to make up for the fact that everything has drasticly gone down hill. Especially your precious Dragon, Dungeon, and still in beta Monster Builder.

I also want you to show me a copy of your "contract" or your "Purchase Agreement" Got a link?

I really doubt that WotC is going to get a ton of refund demands, as long as they keep us in the loop. Online business is tricky, once you lose a customer it's actually quite hard to get it back.

Anyway, since it's quite clear that no answer is available so far, I guess we'll just have to keep waiting.

I hope that at least there's a good reason for all the wait.

Viva Chile mierrrr...!!!

Has the July 6th errata pdf always said "Next Update: October 5, 2010"?

And if people could pay Ala Carte, I'm sure they would.

Hell yes. In a New York minute. CB, and done. 

As for Abarham accusing us youngsters of laziness and other moral turpitude, I'll just say this*: creating a character by hand is a bit like being stapled to a dead zebra - after the first time, it's not nearly as special as it sounds. 

Overall, creating a character is, for me, about as interesting as doing taxes, and the CB is my TurboTax. With it, at least I can go really fast. On the other hand, if TurboTax isn't updated to the latest tax year, I don't want to pay for it. Since I already paid for my D&D Turbotax, but it didn't update to the latest tax year, I have temporarily not paid for it, until it's ready. 

* With apologies to Scott Adams.

This "angst" is due to the fact that this delay is yet another delay among delays, built atop broken promises.  Whenever there's a problem or delay with a program, the customers hear nothing.  The lack of any sort of constructive response from WoTC for D&DI has been the norm straight from the beginning.  I'm getting sick of it.
Has the July 6th errata pdf always said "Next Update: October 5, 2010"?

I...think? As I recall, there's been an expectation of errata in October all along. Don't remember if the 5th was the exact date. 

So go buy the books, or wait. Nowhere in DDI does it say you will have all new releases available to you when you want them.

The FAQ is not a rough guideline. Thats the list of ingredients, or the picture on the box. It's like buying a box of cherios at the store, opening it, and getting bran flakes. They offer monthy updates, They advertise monthly updates. IN MORE THAN ONE SPOT.

And if people could pay Ala Carte, I'm sure they would. but they do not offer that option, instead they shove all the other crap in with DDI to make up for the fact that everything has drasticly gone down hill. Especially your precious Dragon, Dungeon, and still in beta Monster Builder.

I also want you to show me a copy of your "contract" or your "Purchase Agreement" Got a link?

Oh? Show me where else they promise you monthly updates that include all new releases and material that you personally want to see. Same way there isn't a purchase contract or agreement of services like I was asking for.

Ala carte would be great for everyone. People like me who actually enjoy having access to things that book-only customers don't have. Things that you probably take for granted. Revenants, Assassins, and a ton of loot, for example, all from DRA/DUN magazine. It's worth the cost to most of us. So WotC isn't spot-on with customer service? Nothing new. I guess some people handle disappointment better than others.

So go buy the books, or wait. Nowhere in DDI does it say you will have all new releases available to you when you want them.

And if people could pay Ala Carte, I'm sure they would. but they do not offer that option, instead they shove all the other crap in with DDI to make up for the fact that everything has drasticly gone down hill. Especially your precious Dragon, Dungeon, and still in beta Monster Builder. So stop being a jerk and demanding something that I already gave you. Just because you do not like the answer, does not make it untrue.

Oh? Show me where else they promise you monthly updates that include all new releases and material that you personally want to see.

Ala carte would be great for everyone. People like me who actually enjoy having access to things that book-only customers don't have. Things that you probably take for granted. Revenants, Assassins, and a ton of loot, for example, all from DRA/DUN magazine. It's worth the cost to most of us. So WotC isn't spot-on with customer service? Nothing new. I guess some people handle disappointment better than others.

So what exactly did you get for the entire month of September that non-insiders got? if you say use of the compendium, thats a non-issue as its not up-to-date either and anyone who had an insider account during august currently has ALL THE SAME MATERIAL that we are paying access to by using the compendium by using their character builder. Also, list all the articles with actual crunch in them from September, it still will NOT come anywhere near the actual price we paid for that month. No matter what, agreement/legal contract or not, there is not a single bit of reason to have paid for the entire cost of all the month's material when we only got a tiny part that was less crunch than filler. All the DDi exclusive material you've listed so far is all from nearly a year ago or further back, hence people had access to that then, and has nothing to do with September 2010. You can wave around assassins and revenants all you want, but the truth is theres people in my gaming group with access to that material(not by my subscription, in fact we had access to it before I signed up) and they've never spent 1 cent on DDi.

Yes.  I have the books.  And I can't use the character builder to create characters for my newest campaign.  Y'know, the reason I pay for the damned character builder in the first place.  If I want to create characters by hand, I don't have to pay WOTC any money for the privilege.  It's really quite simple, I give them money for a service.  If they do not perform the service to my satisfaction, I stop giving them money.  It is no more and no less than that.

And its not a matter of having them "when I want them" its a matter of having them within a reasonable time.  Two weeks was a reasonable time, four weeks was less reasonable but I could live with it, Two months is not reasonable, the current time frame (which as best as I can suss out from their comments is 'whenever they get around to it') is right out.

But hey, your money is your money.  If you want to send it to WOTC and get nothing in return, knock yourself out.  I'm not here to judge.

So what exactly did you get for the entire month of September that non-insiders got? if you say use of the compendium, thats a non-issue as its not up-to-date either and anyone who had an insider account during august currently has ALL THE SAME MATERIAL that we are paying access to by using the compendium by using their character builder. Also, list all the articles with actual crunch in them from September, it still will NOT come anywhere near the actual price we paid for that month. No matter what, agreement/legal contract or not, there is not a single bit of reason to have paid for the entire cost of all the month's material when we only got a tiny part that was less crunch than filler. All the DDi exclusive material you've listed so far is all from nearly a year ago or further back, hence people had access to that then, and has nothing to do with September 2010. You can wave around assassins and revenants all you want, but the truth is theres people in my gaming group with access to that material(not by my subscription, in fact we had access to it before I signed up) and they've never spent 1 cent on DDi.

I got all the stuff on this here fancy calendar. www.wizards.com/dnd/calendar.aspx?Month=...

Great little campaign modules that we've actually enjoyed, such as the Ghost Tower. The staff fighter build, which someone is actually playing, (despite our objections). Items, such as the Dreamheart stuff, that we plan on having once we get to that stage in the campaign. Tons of artwork that our DM often prints out and uses in handouts during gameplay. And the ever awesome Bazaar of the Bizarre.

Poo-poo it all you wish, but don't complain about what you're getting simply because you choose not to utilize it. Not being happy with what you got is vastly different than not getting anything at all.

Yes.  I have the books.  And I can't use the character builder to create characters for my newest campaign.  Y'know, the reason I pay for the damned character builder in the first place.  If I want to create characters by hand, I don't have to pay WOTC any money for the privilege.  It's really quite simple, I give them money for a service.  If they do not perform the service to my satisfaction, I stop giving them money.  It is no more and no less than that.

And its not a matter of having them "when I want them" its a matter of having them within a reasonable time.  Two weeks was a reasonable time, four weeks was less reasonable but I could live with it, Two months is not reasonable, the current time frame (which as best as I can suss out from their comments is 'whenever they get around to it') is right out.

But hey, your money is your money.  If you want to send it to WOTC and get nothing in return, knock yourself out.  I'm not here to judge.

Again, you're not paying for the CB. You're paying for a DDI subscription, that includes far more than just the CB. You're right that people can choose to spend their money however they wish. Perhaps you should start spending that whopping $15 bucks a month on something more substantial, like a move ticket, or a quarter-tank of gas. Clearly, you're not getting what you want. A simple solution to a simple problem.

Oh? Show me where else they promise you monthly updates that include all new releases and material that you personally want to see. Gee, shucks, you can't find that line? Yeah, it doesn't exist.

Here is something to ponder.  You can read the entire thing here but I will take the relevant part.  Emphasis is mine to make a point.

WotC is telling me that I have a choice on downloading the MONTHLY UPDATES.  Not a monthly update if there is one, it says the monthly updates.  So where is the September update that I want to download????  And guess what; those monthly updates are the ones I personally want to see.

edited:  I removed some things so I am not the cause of another thread closure.....  

@Abarham Let me ask you this, if you paid for a monthly subscription to premium cable, and one month only 1/3 of those channels you're paying extra for, would you not want some sort of compensation? Or at least a date when those channels will resume function? Hell, any sort of communication other than "we're working on it"? I know I would, and I know that a large portion of the premium cable subscribers would be feverish about it like the majority of posters are about the lack of communication concerning the delays from september are currently.

Again, you're not paying for the CB. You're paying for a DDI subscription, that includes far more than just the CB. You're right that people can choose to spend their money however they wish. Perhaps you should start spending that whopping $15 bucks a month on something more substantial, like a move ticket, or a quarter-tank of gas. Clearly, you're not getting what you want. A simple solution to a simple problem.

Half a tank, actually, and that half a tank at least gets me to work for a week.  I can't think of a single thing my DDI subscription is useful for right now.

In my case I do pay for the character builder (and to a lesser extent the monster builder) updates because that's the only part of the package that interests me.  The magazines are, to put it as diplomatically as possible, utter tripe these days.  And since I am not getting those, and see no sign of getting those, I am not paying for the service any more.  And I am going to complain about it too since these things USED to be worthwhile and I would like them to be useful once again.  
Clearly, the complaints about the delays and lack of communication aren't stemming from some sort of self-imposed "holier than thou" feeling we get for paying the subscription fees, they're stemming from a huge desire for things to be returned to the quality they were once. At least thats how I feel, and it seems from every post I have read on the issue thats how the other people who are complaining feel.

I got all the stuff on this here fancy calendar. www.wizards.com/dnd/calendar.aspx?Month=... 

That is because they changed it, two times actually.  So I can hand you a menu, you order, then I give you a bill that is twice what you recall it to be.  I then bring you a new menu and say "You got all the stuff on this here fancy menu at that price".  

Great little campaign modules that we've actually enjoyed, such as the Ghost Tower. The staff fighter build, which someone is actually playing, (despite our objections). Items, such as the Dreamheart stuff, that we plan on having once we get to that stage in the campaign. Tons of artwork that our DM often prints out and uses in handouts during gameplay. And the ever awesome Bazaar of the Bizarre.

Conversely, just cause you and the gang think it is the best thing since sliced bread does not make it worth much to someone else.  There are a number of people that put more weight on the CB and tools then the articles and what not.  So those that like the articles can wave their pom poms and those that want the monthly updates can voice their discontent when they fail to appear.

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, on-topic, and refrain from personal attacks and flaming, these are violations of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg... . You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

Please return discussion to the topic of the thread, or it may need to be closed.

Oh? Show me where else they promise you monthly updates that include all new releases and material that you personally want to see. Gee, shucks, you can't find that line? Yeah, it doesn't exist.

Here is something to ponder.  You can read the entire thing here but I will take the relevant part.  Emphasis is mine to make a point.

WotC is telling me that I have a choice on downloading the MONTHLY UPDATES.  Not a monthly update if there is one, it says the monthly updates.  So where is the September update that I want to download????  And guess what; those monthly updates are the ones I personally want to see.

edited:  I removed some things so I am not the cause of another thread closure.....  

The FAQ is not what you bought, (and it's already been made irrelevant, in a previous comment). Again, you weren't promised anything. You were never promised all the newest material every month. You get 5 downloads every month as well. Are we to assume that you're supposed to get 5 updates? You're taking something that's meant to sell a total package, and making it the Ten Commandments of DDI. That's not how this works.