Dungeon 183 - Adventure Hooks: October, Doing Your Groundwork

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dungeon 183
Adventure Hooks: October, Doing Your Groundwork

Every adventure begins with a subtle or not-so-subtle hook—that carrot or stick which motivates the characters to risk their lives for gold, glory, or the greater good.

Talk about this Article here.

AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

What an excellent idea! 
I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand, I really want to see more emphasis on story, on RP, on a properly grounded adventure. On the other, I wish we could see that as part of the adventure.

Now, maybe this is necessary due to space limitations. Maybe we have to break the setup apart. Ok, but in that case I would like to see this be more robust. For example, with the Athas adventure it could be great to have rumors around recent events, special plot hooks based on races or themes, suggestions for specific NPC interaction with PCs based on PC background, ways to customize the adventure to provide an experience tailored to certain types of players, etc. It just seemed very light to me.

Separately, I am glad to see more Dark Sun adventures.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

The hooks will still be included in the adventures as usual. This is a way to get them into DM's hands ahead of the adventures themselves, as well as to give DMs a bit more visibility into what's coming.

Otherwise, excellent suggestions, Alphastream. I expect this approach will grow and evolve through use, like everything else.

Steve
If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.
Cool, thanks! I look forward to seeing how it evolves.

Oh, and I think the article did not state an author.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Today's exclusive content, is content I'm going to get in a week or two? I'll need a microscope to see the amount of content we are getting soon. If it weren't for the character builder, there is no way I'd keep paying for this thinning content.